Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Bit early considering it was only last night, but for me the team on Saturday has to be:

Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pratley Sarr Solly
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

With Pearce unable to play in quick succession, Kayal last night proving what a good player he is, Leko and Field unavailable, add in the other injuries, that is about as good as we can really get right now. 
    Agreed but switch Solly and Oshilaja. 
    Won't happen, Solly played left back many times in his career. Oshilaja only a handful of times. Have you ever seen him play left back? Not digging you at all by the way, just Solly will be at left back out of the two of them.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sage said:
    Bit early considering it was only last night, but for me the team on Saturday has to be:

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

With Pearce unable to play in quick succession, Kayal last night proving what a good player he is, Leko and Field unavailable, add in the other injuries, that is about as good as we can really get right now. 
    No way.
    Solly at left back is just wrong 
    He's on the left in Sage's line up... 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

No way.
    Solly at left back is just wrong 
    He's on the left in Sage's line up... 
    In that case it's you I agree with. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

Won't happen, Solly played left back many times in his career. Oshilaja only a handful of times. Have you ever seen him play left back? Not digging you at all by the way, just Solly will be at left back out of the two of them.
    I haven't but think it would be worth a go as Solly just doesn't look comfortable on that side. Oshilaja was also the first name Bowyer mentioned when talking about players who can cover on the left but I agree it will probably end up being Solly again. 
  • Options
    Solly at left back has never worked imo. Is Purrington fit? 
  • Options
    Might Purrington be fit?
  • Options
    Purrington could be fit for the weekend but he will need to take part in training tomorrow for that to be able to happen. Guess we wait for Bow's presser tomorrow.
  • Options
    PWR

thought we played well and controlled the game for long periods of time in awkward conditions.

The injuries took their toll in the second half as we had a number of shattered/walking wounded players.

Our goal came after we started very well in the second half and we’re building up pressure and playing some nice controlled football, if the game had finished there no one could of argued with us deserving the three points. 

Pivotal two minute spell when their keeper saved from Pratley and then they went up other end and bundled it in, that gave them a head of steam and to be fair they looked the more likely team to get the three points but I don’t think they were deserved

Overall thought we played very well against another team that has spent lots and a team that at the start of the season was being talked about a top 6 side. The first half subs grafted hard and thought solly deserved special mention for playing in his wrong position on a very wet pitch with his dodgy knees after only playing on Saturday.

the one question I did have was the Aneke sub, didn’t look like he knew where he was playing. Overall was very encouraged again with the sides ability on the ball, just need to concentrate at the back a bit more 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem with the theory about the way we play causing the injuries is when you look into the injuries. They were not caused by fatigue but bad luck. Something which happens in football.
  • Options
    Can we get Morgan back off loan?
  • Options
    Can we get Morgan back off loan?
    Yes we can
  • Options
    Just noticed, its the first game we've lost this season where we've had less than 50% possession!!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    First game I haven’t been able to watch, but reading through the comments on here I’ve got to assume that Aneke must have been truly shocking to have received such vitriol. Some are completely writing him off, when from what I’ve seen he’s a decent player, with plenty of strength, and no little ability, who probably needs more minutes. 
  • Options
    Sometimes the players have to make the correct decisions in the final stages of a game. Against 10 men, away from home, against a good side and it’s 1-1, keep it tight. Can’t rely on Bowyer telling them what to do all the time. Terrible defending for the last goal.

It was certainly disappointing to lose so late but as to the criticism regarding the defending; it was a quality pass into the box and the guy controlled it well before banging it home, but yes, defender maybe could have been a bit tighter on him. Can't really use that as an excuse though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crazy idea here lads.

Maybe Aneke was sent on with the instructions of sitting on the last man, so we had an outlet for a break/clearence from the back?

• Options
    I agree, I don't think the sub was wrong tactically, I think the problem was Chuks was the wrong player to bring on, and Chuks himself created a problem by playing badly. Kayal was driving the ball forward much more than Gallagher yesterday and most of our dangerous openings were as a result of those runs. Bowyer will have brought Chuks on to do the same job. It didn't work, partially because Kayal was snapping at heels in the midfield whereas Chuks will always push further forward, and partially because Chuks ran into players all game instead of using his fresh legs to stretch their defenders. After their red Aneke really should have come into his own - as should Leko - considering they were still pushing for the winner and there were gaps everywhere, but all he managed to do was give away a foul, get booked for kicking the ball away and get poleaxed. The sad thing is, if he hadn't gone down there the ref wouldn't have been able to justify the match going into the 98th minute. Not Aneke's fault, but unfortunate. Bringing Sarr on is a hindsight thing, but I don't know that trying to shut up shop totally after 72 minutes is a good plan when the game was as open as it was; that just gives the impetus over to the home team and they had looked like scoring all half
  • Options
    Oztumer was far more of a like for like sub than Aneke though . It's not as if we needed an aerial threat up top, but someone with some ability on the ball to control it
  • Options
    Oztumer was far more of a like for like sub than Aneke though . It's not as if we needed an aerial threat up top, but someone with some ability on the ball to control it
    Unless the plan was to go route one with Bonne and Leko benefiting from any flick ons or the likes of Gallagher benefiting from Aneke holding up the ball
  • Options
    Although I dont like the bloke give credit to Lee Johnson. Going down to 10 men with 5 mins of normal time to play some teams would have shut up shop. Instead he went for the winner. I know a sending off galvanises a team (and the fans) but after that incident it was one way traffic. Even before then they had numerous chances & mad scrambles in our box. A point would have been a fair result & I don't think it helped having LB in the stand (or should I say up with the tv man & commentator) as he couldn't "affect" what was going on pitch side as he might usually have done.

• Options
    A close game that could have gone either way. In some of these sort of games we will get the breaks in others we won't. Yesterday, any result could have happened and we didn't get the breaks. Time to look to the next game.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Sometimes the players have to make the correct decisions in the final stages of a game. Against 10 men, away from home, against a good side and it’s 1-1, keep it tight. Can’t rely on Bowyer telling them what to do all the time. Terrible defending for the last goal.

It was certainly disappointing to lose so late but as to the criticism regarding the defending; it was a quality pass into the box and the guy controlled it well before banging it home, but yes, defender maybe could have been a bit tighter on him. Can't really use that as an excuse though. 
    We had several opportunities on the near touchline to either win the ball back or give away a sensible foul. It was an excellent ball but why has he got so much space? Poor game management by the players in my opinion.
  • Options
    A close game that could have gone either way. In some of these sort of games we will get the breaks in others we won't. Yesterday, any result could have happened and we didn't get the breaks. Time to look to the next game.
    Exactly this.

Also Bristol city had a midfielder playing who cost more than our entire squad.