Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Thought the Chuks sub changed the game for the worse for us. But it was not like we had many other options. Bowyer gets it right more times than wrong.

Oh well. Still competing, and there's literally no chance we will go down I think. 
    i know an option. don't bother bringing him on. 
    Im interested to hear what would you have done instead?
    Hindsight is 20/20 but how many of us thought it was an odd substitution at 0-1?  (I did)

We know Bow is very focused on rotation and with Leko out on Sat (and the obvious substitution) he opted instead for Kayal who had been outstanding.
  • Options
    From what I have seen this season I’m totally unimpressed with Leko and Aneke, Leko especially, who needs to work harder. The rest of the lads didn’t deserve that defeat although it was us who lost it and not Bristol City who won it. Showed today that Solly isn’t a LB, then neither is JFC but it is what it is.

Going forward we didn’t make the most of our opportunities and Bonne should have done better with the one on one just after he scored but his goal was a good finish and considering where he’s come from that is nitpicking.

Lockyear and Pearce looked solid as did Osijala and Dills had a good game I thought. Cullen and Gallagher played well, Kayal looked off the pace and Field was doing ok until his injury.

a gutting defeat but totally avoidable in my opinion and we can only blame ourselves.
  • Options
    I just feel sick about that game. No luck with us today.

Losing 2 key players early. 
    Going 1 up.
    Bows making a key sub replacing Kayal with Aneke.
    And it almost paid off as both Pratley and Bonne could have put us 2 up.
    That would probably have killed off the game.
    Instead City go up the other end and score a scrappy goal. Fine margins.
    So, backs to the wall as our midfield has been weakened.
    And then that killer at the end.

Sick, sick, sick. We didn't deserve that. And, no one can be blamed.  
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:
    11 points from Safety. All that matters.
    How do you work that out ? 33 points will get you relegated 
  • Options
    From what I have seen this season I’m totally unimpressed with Leko and Aneke, Leko especially, who needs to work harder. The rest of the lads didn’t deserve that defeat although it was us who lost it and not Bristol City who won it. Showed today that Solly isn’t a LB, then neither is JFC but it is what it is.

Going forward we didn’t make the most of our opportunities and Bonne should have done better with the one on one just after he scored but his goal was a good finish and considering where he’s come from that is nitpicking.

Lockyear and Pearce looked solid as did Osijala and Dills had a good game I thought. Cullen and Gallagher played well, Kayal looked off the pace and Field was doing ok until his injury.

a gutting defeat but totally avoidable in my opinion and we can only blame ourselves.
    If we can get hold of Charlton players distance travelled I think Leko's will suprise some people. I dont think its fair to compare his lack of footballing intelligence with lack of work.

My one issue with him is it feels like I am playing FIFA 2008 when I see him play, just cut backs followed by more cut backs. That tactic always got you space in FIFA. Does not work in professional football, go figure.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Fully expect Bows to lay into them at Full-time
    Full expect him not to. What did the players do wrong that deserved being layed into for?
    While conceding from a long ball in the 98th is just shit, they don't. Sorry mate I'm just pissed off
  • Options
    The sub at 1-0 cost us 1 an possibly all 3 points. In my view that took us down to 10 men. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FFS. Someone on the match thread said that they were off to pee and I thought that meant that the game had finished.
    Would like to issue a statement correcting this fact

I was desperate for a pee, didnt want to miss any of the action so didnt need to go anywhere

Thankfully managed to hold it long enough not just till full-time but to rant at Johnson / the Ref too

Hope that clears up any confusion :)
    Well next time go to the toilet at half time, you big wally. I couldn't believe it. I saw your post and thought that the full time whistle had gone. I went on to do some other things on the computer and then when I came back to the BBC I saw that history had changed. Where did that bloody 8th minute come from anyway?
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:
    He means 11 points above the bottom 3 at the moment.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Fully expect Bows to lay into them at Full-time
    Full expect him not to. What did the players do wrong that deserved being layed into for?
    It's not normally Bowyer's way to lay nto players straight after the match.

He'll sort it out at training when everybody is calm and rational.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:
    We have 21-pts | Huddersfield have 10-pts :)
  • Options
    FFS. Someone on the match thread said that they were off to pee and I thought that meant that the game had finished.
    Would like to issue a statement correcting this fact

I was desperate for a pee, didnt want to miss any of the action so didnt need to go anywhere

Thankfully managed to hold it long enough not just till full-time but to rant at Johnson / the Ref too

Hope that clears up any confusion :)
    Well next time go to the toilet at half time, you big wally. I couldn't believe it. I saw your post and thought that the full time whistle had gone. I went on to do some other things on the computer and then when I came back to the BBC I saw that history had changed. Where did that bloody 8th minute come from anyway?
    Two minutes added on to the six because of the head injury...

Didnt actually need to go at Half-Time :(
  • Options
    Per Louis, Williams out for a couple of months, Field and JFC's injuries don't look promising. When it rains it pours
  • Options
    Cheer up lads:

BREAKING: Lee Bowyer has revealed that Jonny Williams is set for a couple of months on the side-lines after having an operation on his knee yesterday. #CAFC

He also says that the injury suffered by Sam Field this evening does not look promising. Jake Forster-Caskey’s injury was to his hamstring so could also be bad news. #CAFC
  • Options
    Thought the Chuks sub changed the game for the worse for us. But it was not like we had many other options. Bowyer gets it right more times than wrong.

Oh well. Still competing, and there's literally no chance we will go down I think. 
    i know an option. don't bother bringing him on. 
    Im interested to hear what would you have done instead?
    anything instead of playing him basically. this isn't the first crap performance he has given coming on from the bench. i'm left baffled at what Aneke actually thinks he is contributing to the team when he's out there watching what the others are trying to do. 
  • Options
    Bowyer devastated that his side came away with nothing at Bristol City this evening - felt they could have even won the game. #CAFC
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheer up lads:

BREAKING: Lee Bowyer has revealed that Jonny Williams is set for a couple of months on the side-lines after having an operation on his knee yesterday. #CAFC

He also says that the injury suffered by Sam Field this evening does not look promising. Jake Forster-Caskey’s injury was to his hamstring so could also be bad news. #CAFC
    Oh joy... come on Roly, dust off your wallet
  • Options
    Have we been buying those knee braces in bulk?
    Probably using the old one Lyle Taylor was wearing
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    heavenSE7 said:
    He means 11 points above the bottom 3 at the moment.
    I know . I was being pedantic. Still pissed off ! 
  • Options
    Decent battling display and some periods in which we knocked it about well, but we lacked our usual energy and fluency. The injuries were a major factor but quite a few players, notably including the usually high energy Conor Gallagher, looked a bit jaded. Very unlucky not to take a point but defending was naive at the end and we got punished. That will happen in this league much more often than in L1, where lesser players spurn opportunities more readily. Let's hope we get a few of the injured players back for the weekend, because we'll need to be better at West Brom if we want to come away with anything.
  • Options
    The disappointing aspects for me were that we should have been out of sight if we’d taken our chances against a side that were much less good than I expected. We were unlucky with the injuries which meant that we couldn’t freshen it up on the hour like we normally do. But if you don’t take your chances you have to take what’s coming and if Dillon hadn’t played a blinder we’d have shipped four or five which would have been a travesty on the balance of play. But our profligacy cost us and we can’t blame anyone else for that much as we’d like to put it on the ref who in reality was ok.  A harsh lesson. We need a bounce. 
  • Options
    There were 6 minutes of Added Time to the 1st half.

And 100 minutes added on to the 2nd half.

Total of 106 minutes.
  • Options
    Well - against Fulham, we could've lost in a similar fashion and been disappointed. Against Brentford, there was some last ditch defending, and we came away with the win. Against Blackburn, perhaps it was a bit of a smash and grab, too.

It's a bit of a pattern, and I would venture - hopefully not totally incorrectly - that it's because we play hard for 70-75 minutes, and then we seem to be knackered. I've seen it more than once: we don't seem to pace ourselves to last the whole 90. Today was exacerbated by injuries and it being midweek, but... I don't think it's wrong to say something like this may have been coming. Hopefully this isn't symptomatic of a too-tired squad come late March, or so, and we have nothing in the tank for the run-in.

This wasn't deserved. A draw would have been fair. But we were vulnerable because we were tired, due to a combination of factors, not least of which is the high-press, fast attack/counter-attack philosophy we play in.

Ref wasn't good but can't blame the result on him, unless the handball I went up for instantly in the first half was indeed a handball - in which case he's missed it massively. Booked FAR too many players but got the red (which was obvious) correct.

Shit, this. Injuries are ominous. But we go again - hopefully we can keep fighting well.