Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Losing to 10 men in the 98th minute with a simple ball over the top is ridiculous - hope it’s not an overreaction but with two more injuries feel our season maybe peaked on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Shame, game was there for taking, gave it away. Turning point for me was when chucks came on for Kayal. Really thought that was a bad substitution should have been for Leko.

once again thought Leko was awful. Waste of space and has the wrong work ethic for a Bowyer team.

• Options
    I really hope we can get Chuks to step up, very hard to believe he came through Arsenal's set up at the moment.
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted no way did we deserve that, all the players worked their socks off until Aneke came on who looked lazy and slow and stood about 10 yards off players to let them pass it where they wanted to. 
  • Options
    Useless tactics from Bows tonight. Bring Chuks on and soak it up, should have got Nabs on. 

Great performance? Are you still watching the Derby match?
  • Options
    FFS. Someone on the match thread said that they were off to pee and I thought that meant that the game had finished. Then I find out 10 minutes later that we hadn't got the point.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It’s a point dropped - would rather that then being 1 up and dropping 2 points. 

The players also have to take a lot of the blame that timewasting when a man up was ridiculous!. 

We go again 
  • Options
    I doubt Bowyer wanted to do Kayal for Aneke but the former lacks match fitness.

2 early injuries and a player getting his first minutes. The only thing you can say is we could’ve brought on Sarr.

Guaranteed there’d then be people moaning at Bowyer for sitting back against 10 men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted. Didnt deserve that. Cant really blame the strikers but should have gone 2 nil up. Boone & Leko do their best but haven't played at this level before.

But.......

Once they went down to 10 men we really didn't get hold of the ball. The sending off galvanised them (and the crowd) & they went for it. Lee Johnson is  cnut though. He was directing everything & was virtually on the pitch. 

Will post more later when more measured.
    Thought Bonne was excellent all game. Leko wasn't great but as you say I don't think you can blame the strikers. Agreed re Lee Johnson.
  • Options
    What 2 picked up knocks?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Frustrating, We switched off at the wrong moment, especially with ten men.Injuries and missed chances the headline for me. That last twenty minutes was very one sided. Solly and Aneke definitely made us weaker coming on. Kayal looked class is probably the bonus.

We could have been 3rd if we held on. That’s the most upsetting thing. 
  • Options
    Really good effort from the players... Felt like exhaustion played its part once again in the closing stages

Yes the first half substitutions could have been better but the simple fact remains is that Bristol City were able to put on fresher legs which gave the the advantage when chasing for the winner

Phillips really deserved to keep a clean sheet with the number of saves (combined with an excellent clearance off the line from Solly at one stage) he made and as the ValleyPass team said; he was Man of the Match for us but its not a reflection on how the game was - We absolutely dominated large periods for 70mins, until that period; Bristol City couldnt barely get the ball out of their half let alone create anything

Bonne just goes from strength to strength and whilst he had an empty net to put the ball into, it was still an damned impressive bit of composure

To say Linnington didnt cost us the game is a joke - Yes he had the balls to send off their Striker for a scummy offence but still pandered far too much to the home side; Pratley booked for nothing more than dissent but it shows when we got five bookings to their two when they made more fouls (albeit just the one) - Yes you can potentially blame Solly for the two goals but as already mentioned, if the officials do their job then we get a free-kick with the ball going no where near our area, not to mention the amount of space Brownhill had to finish (how do you blame Solly for that one?)

Absolutely sickening!!... From our three midweek performances we've easily deserved two wins and a draw, all we've got to show is a single point
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    What 2 picked up knocks?
    Field and JFC
  • Options
    Well, we'll go into the Hawthorns with a chip on our shoulder and a point to prove. So fucking frustrated. Last time we were in the Championship and we won on a last minute goal in the 8th minute of stoppage time (JBG vs Hull), we went down. Maybe the same will happen to Bristol
  • Options
    Poor ending, against 10 men we should have been able to see the game out, enough experience out there, what shape the defence were in for their goal was unforgivable. 

It was against us with the two injuries, but feel putting Solly at left back was the wrong decision, should have been Sarr and when Kayal came off should have been Oztumer on, Aneke was as poor a sub as i've seen. Had I have been looking away when he came on I wouldn't have noticed for 10 minutes.

But we'll get games like this, for a moment we were third/joint second, still only 3 points from Automatics so not going to get too down about it, we're still doing really well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    think maybe a few people need a reality check ! away to a top 10 champ team. 2 injuries first half still tool the game to them and unlucky with a late goal. they have alot off good players 
    Don't talk sense in here. It's not needed. Someone dig up a Aneke thread, I want to lay into the forums new whipping boy.

Though thought that was going to be Kayal after what posters were saying after his first half performance.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I really hope we can get Chuks to step up, very hard to believe he came through Arsenal's set up at the moment.
    A bit harsh, Dazzler. Chuks has just missed a month out with injury and then thrown on as sub - and we see he's clearly not sharp and lacking match fitness. As you would expect after not training for a month.

Just a wrong call to play him when he's evidently not ready.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Frustrating, We switched off at the wrong moment, especially with ten men.Injuries and missed chances the headline for me. That last twenty minutes was very one sided. Solly and Aneke definitely made us weaker coming on. Kayal looked class is probably the bonus.

We could have been 3rd if we held on. That’s the most upsetting thing. 
    Bow said Deji can play anywhere across the back 4 why not put Solly at RB and Deji LB?
    Thats what I'd have done if anything - Dont agree with having Sarr come on instead of Solly

The risk meant all Centre-Backs would have been on the pitch, one or two more injuries in Defence would really have fucked us up long term

Yes it meant we lost today, but would rather look at the bigger picture

• Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    hate to say that Casey Palmer is rather good, now where did he start his career?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    A bit harsh, Dazzler. Chuks has just missed a month out with injury and then thrown on as sub - and we see he's clearly not sharp and lacking match fitness. As you would expect after not training for a month.

Just a wrong call to play him when he's evidently not ready.
     Potentially. I really want him to do well, think he has something about him, but really don't think he should have come on for Kayal. He'd have probably worked better replacing Leko even if he doesn't think he's a striker, we've seen him strike the ball more composed than Leko time and time again. Also better in the air than Leko and better at picking a pass normally.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Fully expect Bows to lay into them at Full-time
    Full expect him not to. What did the players do wrong that deserved being layed into for?
  • Options
    Either Oztumer or Sarr would have been better than Aneke. We needed players who can hold the ball and pass, neither of which Aneke appears to be able to do.
    Game could have gone either way and they created better chances than us. On balance we look equal to most of the teams in this division.
     Nothing too much to worry about except the growing injury list which partly stems from our low budget causing us to sign unfit or injury prone players.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    FFS. Someone on the match thread said that they were off to pee and I thought that meant that the game had finished.
    Would like to issue a statement correcting this fact

I was desperate for a pee, didnt want to miss any of the action so didnt need to go anywhere

Thankfully managed to hold it long enough not just till full-time but to rant at Johnson / the Ref too

Hope that clears up any confusion :)