Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I know we’re not allowed to offer anything on the negative but someone above mentioned something that was bugging me last night .
    phillips had a blinder but he definitely chose to punch a few that I’m sure he could have caught and relieved the pressure that we were put under .
    to reiterate he was prolly out best performer on the night but there’s always room for improvement.
    i suppose he weighs it up with the wet slippery conditions and the fact keepers don’t ever catch the ball anymore Cos of more movement by the balls than usual .
    so prolly me being over critical 
    Feel there is a difference between offering constructive feedback on what you think we did poorly, like you have done here, and just posting stuff like Kayal/Chuks/Solly are shite.
  • Options
    Just noticed, its the first game we've lost this season where we've had less than 50% possession!!
    Disgraceful.

Lord Bowyer out.
  • Options
    Crazy idea here lads.

Maybe Aneke was sent on with the instructions of sitting on the last man, so we had an outlet for a break/clearence from the back?

Mount Chuks is a big unit especially compared to Macca and Leko ... maybe he was asked to try and monster the defenders, give a tiring defence something else to worry about?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Criticism of Leko and his decision making reminds me of Grant before he “came good.” Then, Grant always seemed to make the wrong decision, go the wrong way, hit the ball the wrong side. Under the current coaching team, they sorted that out, he started banging in the goals and ended up in the PL. Can’t really see any reason why LB and the rest can’t do the same for Leko.
  • Options
    I know we’re not allowed to offer anything on the negative but someone above mentioned something that was bugging me last night .
    phillips had a blinder but he definitely chose to punch a few that I’m sure he could have caught and relieved the pressure that we were put under .
    to reiterate he was prolly out best performer on the night but there’s always room for improvement.
    i suppose he weighs it up with the wet slippery conditions and the fact keepers don’t ever catch the ball anymore Cos of more movement by the balls than usual .
    I found it strange myself - Phillips is usually very good when catching the ball and does this more often compared to punching

Must have been because it was a wet night that he chose to punch instead rather than taking the risk of dropping a slippery ball
    On comms last night Tel and Greg both mentioned the rain so it didn't surprise me that Dillon felt the best course of action was to punch when under pressure instead of trying to catch a bar of soap.

In fairness to Phillips his punching was pretty good last night, as was his all-round game.
  • Options
    Criticism of Leko and his decision making reminds me of Grant before he “came good.” Then, Grant always seemed to make the wrong decision, go the wrong way, hit the ball the wrong side. Under the current coaching team, they sorted that out, he started banging in the goals and ended up in the PL. Can’t really see any reason why LB and the rest can’t do the same for Leko.
    ^^^ This ^^^

With bells on.

I also can't understand people who criticise Leko for lack of effort when his off-the-ball work (tracking back, harrying of defenders, distracting runs pulling oppo out of position etc) is as good as anyone.

As I said last night on the match thread, I feel like I'm going to be on a Leko crusade this season in the same way that I was part of the BeckenSarr bandwagon when he came back into the side after being away on loan. I just need to come up with a suitable moniker for him ...
  • Options
    Second time this season that the introduction of Chuks whilst defending a result has led to the opposing team growing into the game and eventually scoring. Doesn't do enough off the ball for me. Unfair to put all responsibility on his shoulders of course, but it was definitely a factor.

Feel we deserved a point and whilst frustrated at conceding a 98th minute goal, I'm still not overly worried.

This Charlton team has shown that it can and will bounce back. West Brom might be a bit too much especially given our injuries, but we've seen many times now that anything can happen with this Charlton team.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with punching as I appreciate it is about judgement on risk. My disquiet is when you are within a period of pressure and the ball keeps coming back, you need to make a different decision on the risk.
  • Options
    As I posted elsewhere Marshall had Dillon doing a lot of punching before the match on Saturday. I suspect he is punching under orders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Watched on Sky Red- button, thought first half was poor from both sides and very 'bitty'. Second half was much better and before they scored their equaliser we could have scored a second. However, in the end we just seem to run out of steam (2 first half injuries didn't help), but to lose in the fashion we did was disappointing to say the least. We move onto Saturday, but with a squad ravaged by injuries we will be fortunate to come away with anything for The Hawthorns. However I have a longer term concern that as the injuries mount up we will be potentially struggling into the New Year, will RD put his hand in his pocket to help bolster the squad, or will he just sit back and hope? A takeover in the near future would be very useful, on and off the pitch!!
  • Options
    I agree this is the optimum time for a takeover or Duchatelet to change which we shouldn't put too much hope in.
  • Options
    Probably deserved a point but last 15 minutes we were awful and against 10 men. Couldn't keep the ball. Dreadful goal to give away. 
    Some people say we should have brought an extra defender on against 10 men, Really! normally everybody is moaning if we do that when we are winning v 11. Disappointing but pick ourselves up for another day. 
  • Options
    Just home so a very brief one from frustrated Fanny.

Lots of familiar "away day faces" & a cuddle with @northstandsteve en route to the ground.What's not to like..

Then there was the match. 

On the whole I was impressed with The Robins - lots of good passing football & the ability to find acres of space which was a concern at times.

However, we grew into the game but our injury "crisis" reared its ugly head with an injury to Fieldy, culminating in a stretcher being required to remove him from the battlefield.  Sols was called upon to replace our latest casualty which may impact on his ability to play again at The Hawthorns....

Then the ultimate bummer....JFC clutching his hamstring said it all. Our Darren was ready, willing & able as ever but once again, his appearance so early tonight might mean a change of plan for the gaffer in 2 days time. Maybe this one was a match too far for Jake, bearing in mind his comeback was relatively recent ?

Two injuries in the first half was a severe blow but the lads did what they do best.....and produced some very good, attacking football which ultimately led to our goal in front of the away faithful. Celebrations were long & loud. 

Further chances were created at both ends & a great opportunity to put us 2 goals to the good was missed when Pratley's goalbound effort was clawed away at the last gasp by the City's scrambling 'keeper. If only.....

Cue a resurgence from the Robins & barely 10 minutes after our opener, Dillon's defence was breached at the other end. Charlton's number one had produced several great saves, as always, but sadly was unable to preserve another clean sheet.

An incident close to the dugouts saw a red card brandished by the somewhat controversial Man in the Middle, but this failed to become an advantage for us ( what's new ?) and in the 8th added minute of the 6 indicated, the Black Sea parted quite impressively for the spoils to be held aloft by the home team. A disappointing end to a match where we played some superlative football at times and definitely deserved a point IMO.

At the time of writing this ( 2.30am this morning) but failing to "send" it due to fatigue setting in, I was unaware that JW's knee had been operated on but now have all the information available regarding our growing list of injuries. Indeed, on paper, our squad is impressive considering the budget Bow has been given but as the inevitable injuries bite, we are looking increasingly frail. 

There's no doubt in my mind that last night's enforced substitutions cost us the 3 points. Whilst Sols & Darren are very decent options to have, this severely limited the opportunity to bring on fresh legs as others tired following Saturday's match. For me, Aneke is not the answer & maybe Naby would have made the difference when the final substitution was made but hindsight is wonderful, isn't it...

On the plus side, Kayal looked very good, whilst Oshilaja stepped straight back into the fray as though he'd never been away but tired quite badly in the second half.

Of course, in Bow  we trust and expect nothing less than 100% from those wearing the shirt at The Hawthorns. But his options are now severely limited as our immediate expectations should be.  

How ironic that when Sky decide to make us the new Leeds, Lady Luck turns her back with a shrug of her shoulders, saying " Let's see what you can do now ! "

Methinks she is a Spanner....

:-(
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    First game I haven’t been able to watch, but reading through the comments on here I’ve got to assume that Aneke must have been truly shocking to have received such vitriol. Some are completely writing him off, when from what I’ve seen he’s a decent player, with plenty of strength, and no little ability, who probably needs more minutes. 
    I think Aneke's problem doesnt come down to ability

For many on here I think their issue with him is the fact that he doesnt put in the miles compared to others

i.e. Last night at one stage you had Bonne @ Right-Back helping out Oshilaja

That sort of effort is always going to be appreciated more by the fans compared to someone who isnt tracking back etc.
    Fair enough, but as I said, I didn’t see the match so I’m just I’m basing my opinion on his other appearances this season where I thought he looked useful and seemed to try as hard as anyone else. Is he the next Charlton scapegoat?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    First game I haven’t been able to watch, but reading through the comments on here I’ve got to assume that Aneke must have been truly shocking to have received such vitriol. Some are completely writing him off, when from what I’ve seen he’s a decent player, with plenty of strength, and no little ability, who probably needs more minutes. 
    I think Aneke's problem doesnt come down to ability

For many on here I think their issue with him is the fact that he doesnt put in the miles compared to others

i.e. Last night at one stage you had Bonne @ Right-Back helping out Oshilaja

That sort of effort is always going to be appreciated more by the fans compared to someone who isnt tracking back etc.
    Fair enough, but as I said, I didn’t see the match so I’m just I’m basing my opinion on his other appearances this season where I thought he looked useful and seemed to try as hard as anyone else. Is he the next Charlton scapegoat?
    Hemed is ahead of him I'd say...
  • Options

Really tough one to take tonight. The lads gave everything as usual. We stick together and go again sat. Thank you for the support as per. @k_andrewsphotos #cafc #coyr

• Options

Loved scoring another goal, but devastated to concede a goal in the dying minutes. Thankyou for your support - we will give our everything again on Saturday! We also wish Jonnie Williams a speedy recovery! @K_AndrewsPhotos #CAFC

• Options

HIGHLIGHTS: BRISTOL CITY 2-1 CHARLTON ATHLETIC

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1005804754?-11197:833
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    The whole Bristol reaction to the result is bizarre. Anyone would think they sealed promotion last night. 

I saw a clip of one of their press guys asking their manager if the result was better than sex... and then they uploaded it to their twitter account!?!

• Options
    ^^^ This ^^^

With bells on.

I also can't understand people who criticise Leko for lack of effort when his off-the-ball work (tracking back, harrying of defenders, distracting runs pulling oppo out of position etc) is as good as anyone.

As I said last night on the match thread, I feel like I'm going to be on a Leko crusade this season in the same way that I was part of the BeckenSarr bandwagon when he came back into the side after being away on loan. I just need to come up with a suitable moniker for him ...
    Not sure the criticism of Leko is because of lack of effort but rather due to his ineffectiveness as an attacking player. You can see why he’s scored so few goals in his professional career so far, and it’s not as if he’s setting up chances for others either.

Bonne is much more of a handful for defenders AND works just as hard. He was really tracking back yesterday.
  • Options
    ^^^ This ^^^

With bells on.

Not sure the criticism of Leko is because of lack of effort but rather due to his ineffectiveness as an attacking player. You can see why he’s scored so few goals in his professional career so far, and it’s not as if he’s setting up chances for others either.

Bonne is much more of a handful for defenders AND works just as hard. He was really tracking back yesterday.
    Most of the criticism heading JL's way has been with regards to his poor decision making (admittedly with some justification but probably not quite to the extent that has been portayed this season) but there have been comments about a lack of effort, which is why I made the point I did (and have done a few times over the last couple of weeks).
  • Options
    ^^^ This ^^^

With bells on.

Most of the criticism heading JL's way has been with regards to his poor decision making (admittedly with some justification but probably not quite to the extent that has been portayed this season) but there have been comments about a lack of effort, which is why I made the point I did (and have done a few times over the last couple of weeks).
    Yep, nothing wrong with Leko's effort.
    If he had a football brain he'd be dangerous - it's so frustrating to see the rabbit in headlights.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    ^^^ This ^^^

With bells on.

Yep, nothing wrong with Leko's effort.
    If he had a football brain he'd be dangerous - it's so frustrating to see the rabbit in headlights.

It'll come.

With Lord Bowyer and Jacko as his teachers one would hope that improvement is imminent (if the "i" word hasn't been banned on this site ...)

EDIT: He's young and just finding his feet in senior football. He's probably got too many ideas in his head about what he wants to do and sometimes makes the wrong choice; what worked in junior football doesn't always work in the seniors. Lord Bowyer and Jacko, with their wealth of experience, will help his decision making.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'd hope Bow might ask W Brom about a perm move for JL in January.  They will have noticed his lack of goals which may help and are more likely to buy a striker, than promote a kid. He has talent, just needs coaching.
  • Options
    I agree it should be possible. The times you see him twist and turn past the same defender twice but is still boxed in and you think, just lay it off now with a simple pass to your teammate who is in space, and he doesn't. Don't get me wrong, it is great that he is prepared to take people on and try the unexpected but on some occasions the simple ball IS the right answer. Surely to goodness LB and the coaches can teach him how to be more effective.