Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    We lost by a last minute goal and missed an opportunity to pick up a point but, hey, shit happens and there’s another game on Saturday. Another goal from Bonne and a good all round performance from him as well I thought. Hurry up Lyle, that double act promises to be awesome.
  • Options
    I blame the drummer. Didn’t show up at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Solly came in and had to play outside of his normal position. In that context he did more than OK. The issue was we put a lot into the game and because of the injuries, Bowyer wasn't able to inject the energy we needed in the later stages to maybe go on and win it. City were lucky, we will be lucky in future games, that is football and the late goal only cost one point, not two!
  • Options
    Damn’n’blast. 
  • Options
    They were better than us for the last 20 minutes, which I can accept to some extent. However, how could they be so much better than us when down to ten men? That’s the bit I find hard to accept.
  • Options
    Watching the last twenty minutes I really fear for us on Saturday. We looked absolutely buggered including Gallagher. I have a feeling our high intensity game is beginning to take its toll on the team . 
  • Options
    It is why Bowyer rests players that need rests, but when you have injuries your ability to do that diminishes. I think Saturday will be tough, but this Charlton team always surprises.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching the last twenty minutes I really fear for us on Saturday. We looked absolutely buggered including Gallagher. I have a feeling our high intensity game is beginning to take its toll on the team . 
    Totally agree and you know me, mr negative,  I’m fearing a proper walloping 
  • Options
    Defensively, Sarr and hopefully Purrington can come in. Then Oztumer and Aneke ought to be quite fresh. I think Lockyer, Gallagher and Cullen are the types that will be fine. 
  • Options
    Did the commentator on Sky red button realise that Bowyer was serving a touchline ban? I heard him say in the first half that it was unusual to see a manager at the very back of the stand next to their commentary position, but if he linked it to him serving a ban I didn't hear it. He had to apologise on a couple of occasions if viewers heard any swearing in the background  :)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think Aneke came on because the plan is to start him on Saturday but it is a fair point. Oztumer would have ran about more. It isn't a criticism of Aneke, they have different games. It is just what happens in football, it can go for you and against you.

My final point is a follow on from Bowyer's at the Fulham game where he said we needed to be a bit more cynical. I thought Palmer (our youth product nicked by Chelsea) looked strong and fresh when he came on and started to make them tick. At the end, one of ours should have clattered into him before he played that killer ball. I was thinking that before he played it.
  • Options
    I thought the same after the Swansea game with Fulham up next. What I've learnt is never to underestimate this team under Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Did the commentator on Sky red button realise that Bowyer was serving a touchline ban? I heard him say in the first half that it was unusual to see a manager at the very back of the stand next to their commentary position, but if he linked it to him serving a ban I didn't hear it. He had to apologise on a couple of occasions if viewers heard any swearing in the background  :)
    No, he didn't say it at all. He just thought it was unusual for him to be up in the stands giving out orders. Then justified himself by saying you get a better view from up there. Clearly didn't know about his ban. 
  • Options
    I have been kicking the proverbial cat until now. We will play worse than that and win .The injuries didn't disrupt us too much .Thought we were the better team until we scored and for some reason after that we lost a bit of composure. I don't think Bristol city are that good and hope we stuff them when we get back them back to the valley..as others have said not sure what aneke gave us when he came on ..very promising game from Kayal...we move on and probably good to have another game coming up quickly so we can get the result out of our system 
  • Options
    We were so brave for so long but burnt out. But six minutes to start with? What can you do with a ref like that who cares less than Hitler and the nazis did for the Jewish people did in the 1930s and 1940s? But it is what it is. We move on. I feel we have a positive enough to bounce back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    No, he didn't say it at all. He just thought it was unusual for him to be up in the stands giving out orders. Then justified himself by saying you get a better view from up there. Clearly didn't know about his ban. 
    Yes, that's what I thought. Clearly hadn't done much research.
  • Options
    Obviously in the minority but didn’t think Kayal did much at all?
  • Options
    Pwr, watched the crappy (one camera low res) coverage on the Sky red button.

We actually played very well I thought but could not break through enough at the final moment, mainly due to their excellent defending and goal keeper. They mainly contained us to long shots although we had at least a couple of those that deserved a goal against a lesser keeper. Some our passing and movement was brilliant and reminded me of hunting in packs against Arsenal on black sabbath, and all this with key players out. Bowyer might have to try and sign a free left back..

MB is turning into a fantastic player although needs to add more to his game, play him alongside Taylor when fit as who know what’s might happen. Can’t complain on his goal return and finishing.

Kayal looked a bit better although perhaps shouldn’t have got booked so early on. Leko slightly less frustrating and growing in confidence.

Phillips made some great stops as usual but I’m a bit frustrated with his punching and kicking - the former unnecessary a lot of the time, and both often giving the ball straight back to the oppo bringing pressure

The injuries are becoming concerning and although I can’t fault Bowyer, our style of play constantly chasing the ball may make this more likely. Or is is those 4g training pitches? JFC probably shouldn’t have started due to only recently coming back.

Anekie not had much game time but really needs to do better, I’d rather have Naby playing there..

Gallagher, love the guy but he seemed under the weather again (altho he scored last time I said that) he’s playing every game tho so probably knackered. Would like to see him develop a bit more into bossing the midfield, but he’s doing good. We need someone who can retain the ball a bit more and slow the game down.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Bit early considering it was only last night, but for me the team on Saturday has to be:

Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pratley Sarr Solly
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

With Pearce unable to play in quick succession, Kayal last night proving what a good player he is, Leko and Field unavailable, add in the other injuries, that is about as good as we can really get right now. 
    Agreed but switch Solly and Oshilaja. 
  • Options
    Didn't control the game like we should after the sending off.

Still puzzled where six minutes injury time came from, especially after there only being five in the first half?

Four games I have seen us on TV, four times we have scored first and failed to win. 

Probably just as well I am going to miss the Hull game...   
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Bit early considering it was only last night, but for me the team on Saturday has to be:

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

With Pearce unable to play in quick succession, Kayal last night proving what a good player he is, Leko and Field unavailable, add in the other injuries, that is about as good as we can really get right now. 
    I'd be tempted to go Christmas tree

Phillips
    Oshilaja | Lockyer | Sarr | Solly
    Cullen | Pratley | Kayal
    Aneke | Gallagher
    Bonne
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Phillips
    Cullen
    Gallagher Kayal
    Oztumer
    Bonne

Agreed but switch Solly and Oshilaja. 
    No way.
    Solly at left back is just wrong