Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Brom v Charlton | Sat 26 Oct | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I was critical of Solly, maybe unfairly against Bristol, but his role in both goals was good to see. 

Might not look like much but both times he puts the ball in the right area. 
  • Options
    Chuks doesn't look great at the moment but neither did Purrington, Pratley, Lockyer, Philips or Sarr early on and they didn't turn out too badly.
  • Options
    I think we can get picky at times when needing players to take the blame when conceding goals.
    I thought the Hand ball goal by Robson-kanu was Aneke losing the ball deep in WBA half, Pratley missing a tackle and Lockyer not keeping him on his left foot before his shot with his right. 

I don't have favourites or scapegoats, but I noticed that if you get in credit you can get away with Semi mistakes.
    Hemed, Aneke and Kayal are still in debit and have work to do.

A fantastic point at the leaders and proud of the whole squad.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    bobmunro said:
    On the train back - will post more later.

The Covered End choir were in full voice today.

buzzing!
    Slept on it now, and after a good breakfast and enjoying watching Wales get turned over would add the following:

The game: as others have said, Bowyer's Charlton never give up and fight to the very end. I haven't seen the red card or penalty again but from what I could see from a distance in regards to the red card, it certainly looked reckless and dangerous. The penalty seen from a lot closer looked a bit soft. But it was given and without apparent nervousness rammed home by Josh. Overall a very good display with Cullen, Gallagher, Bonne and Pratley the standouts for me. Dills had a great game again and could do nothing with either of their goals. Bonne and Taylor up front together are going to cause most defenders in this league many sleepless nights.

The journey: watched the rugby at Robert's place in Stoke and had planned to then all get the train from Stoke to Birmingham. No such luck and Mrs M gave us all a lift back to Crewe. Thankfully coming back it was a bit easier with us being able to get the train going the other way to Smethwick Galton Bridge, then change there for a train to Crewe. The queue for Birmingham bound didn't look good and sorry to hear about the troubles fans faced getting back to Snowhill.

The fans: brilliant as always with non-stop support. There can't be many if any better away fans in the country head for head.

Half-time: went down 5 minutes early to go to the toilet and hopefully get a beer. I came out of the bogs to see a minor altercation which looked like a Charlton fan being ejected by a couple of plod. What was a minor altercation then became something much bigger, caused by 20 or so idiots. They were easy to spot though as they were all wearing uniforms. I consider myself to be an upstanding law-abiding member of the public, and I have immense respect for what the police do in protecting us. But yesterday, West Midlands old bill were a disgrace. The stewards however seemed decent enough and talking to one of them after the police had been ejected he said he couldn't understand why the hell the police got involved to that extent and the Charlton mob seemed in good spirit all the time.

Overall a great trip to what seemed like a soulless ground, with soulless fans, in a karzi of a location.
  • Options
    Listening to our commentary it sounded as if one of our management team on the touchline got a yellow card - can anyone confirm and if so who
  • Options
    Listening to our commentary it sounded as if one of our management team on the touchline got a yellow card - can anyone confirm and if so who
    Marshall
  • Options
    Have been on holiday in Kenya. Was on an internal flight from Lamu Island back to Nairobi during much of the match so as soon as we landed I logged on to data and started following the CL match thread.  I was so absorbed that I managed to leave a new handbag full of wee souvenirs on the plane and only realised about 15 mins later! Luckily, Kenya being Kenya, we returned to the airport where the airline staff had waited for me to hand it over fully intact. 

The match was in the closing stages by this time so I was elated when we got and scored the penalty. Some payback for Weds night.

Now home and watched the Quest highlights. Think the big decisions evened themselves out. Bilic should get a three game ban for saying the ref was "all for them" or something like that. Sarr getting forward creates havoc.

Great to hear Bowyer saying we should be higher in the table. Amazing to see us holding our own with the top-spending and much more experienced Championship teams. Roll on next Sunday and the Paddy Bauer derby.
  • Options
    So the main thinking of most is, they should not have scored their second goal because Kanu handballed it (correct), we should not have had a penalty because Sarr was not fouled (I think he was pulled by the arm and twisted, but we can all disagree). WBA fans think the ref was a joke, not a penalty, none mention Kanu handball, their player should not have been sent off, ref was giving all fouls against us and none for them, OK. It should not have been 2-2 if those two goals were cancelled, therefore it would have been 1-1, still one point each, what is the difference?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting photo for the penalty, makes it pretty stonewall looking at that

Jeez, Peaky Blinders lager?

I bet that's as dull as it sounds and the area it comes from.
  • Options

Is that handball by Sarr ?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Jeez, Peaky Blinders lager?

I bet that's as dull as it sounds and the area it comes from.
    Actually I found the whole 'Peaky Blinders' thing a bit overwhelming, the pub we went to was 'where they filmed peaky blinders', there were Peaky Blinder posters up everywhere on the trains/trams, the 'peaky blinders lager' (not sure how popular lager was in 1920s Birmingham) and even when I tried to go find a  bog at New St Station it was being refurbed because 'they are opening a peaky blinders shop up'....

A bit like Liverpool and the Beatles it felt like a city but with a  smalltown mindset.
  • Options
    Covered End said: 
    I thought Cullen was in the running for MOM, so an obsevation, rather than a criticism. 

It was the second game running that we have conceded a goal because he did not track back with the man he was alongside. 

He didn't do it for Bristol C's winner & he let the WBA player run free for their first goal yesterday. 

I love Cullen, but it does appear to be a weakness in his game. 

Albion had overloads on our right side several times throughout the match. Solly was out numbered over there time and again. It’s hard to tell sometimes watching on TV who is out of position and why but Cullen is the right sided midfielder in the diamond. Purrington did not seem to be getting exposed in the same way. 

Definitely a couple of defensive issues have cropped up in the last two games that need to be addressed in training this week. 
  • Options
    The challenge on Solly was disgraceful.
    You'd  have to be a complete moron to try to defend it or question the validity of the red card.
    I hope they appeal and the ban gets doubled.
  • Options

Is that handball by Sarr ?
    Nah.

If the ball was coming from the left then maybe. But the ball was coming from the right.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Proper championship game, crazy decisions, some fantastic football, great atmosphere with good banter! was a cracker 
  • Options
    Watched the game on ESPN, decent commentary for a change, I thought. Looked to me like we need this long week to recover, putting Purrington right back in looked risky, but not sure if there was much choice, and Gallagher hasn't looked 100% to me the last couple of games even though he's played well, wonder if he has a knock.
    These "top teams" know they've been in a game when they've played us. This group has put the pride back in being a Charlton supporter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This picture proves my point I think. The ball is Sarr's (not 50/50) and the West Brom defender clearly makes contact. Now I agree it is a soft penalty, I even agree that some refs wouldn't have given it, but I think a fair number would. And the blame has to go 100% to the West Brom defender for not using common sense in the situation not the ref who technically called it correctly. 

Football is a contact sport, but when you clatter into people and don't get the ball and cause them to go down it is a foul. A minor foul, in the sense there is no booking, but a foul all the same. In your own penalty area you have a responsibility to be more cautious and assess situations correctly. Had they got to the ball at the same time it would have been different, but Sarr got there marginally earlier.
    He was late with his attempted headed challenge, no different to a late tackle.

Shades of the infamous Peterborough penalty which was worse because it was a genuine 50:50. Shit happens, it goes with the territory.
  • Options
    Chuks doesn't look great at the moment but neither did Purrington, Pratley, Lockyer, Philips or Sarr early on and they didn't turn out too badly.
    Purrington still doesn’t look any good to me but at least he can kind of defend and largely keeps his shape .  I think both of them represent the type of players that we can realistically afford.  Lockyer bucks that trend, as have players like Lyle- obviously both free.
  • Options
    I’ve always thought Robson-Kanu was cack to be honest. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Purrington has not been bad, maybe not excellent but yesterday in his first game back, after 20 minutes he was back looking comfortable enough again.

Problem is he is quite average in the championship and in League 1 looked good. 

He's our only fit senior left back and I'm pleased he's fit again.
  • Options
    I think he is a good left back. 
    So do I. But I think his contribution coming forward is limited given Bowyer’s penchent for wing backs.