Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    'At Least 3' after all the debate about what 'a couple' means, surely people realise that means a minimum of 3 through the door. 
  • Ferryman said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    be prepared to be underwhelmed 
    This, Josh Parkeresk
    Half asleep I nearly Googled that!
    Anyone would think there was good reason to stay up late.............Oh hang on a minute 🎉🎈🥂😉
  • cfgs said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Even if it appears underwhelming this signing has been made by Gallen and Bowyer, whose judgement has so far been incredible.
    Kayal? Hemed? 
    They cant account for players being injured though can they?

Kayal for me showed glimpses of being an good player for us this season but couldnt stay fit

Same with Aneke effectively

As @RedChaser says, only dud really has been Joe Ledley and that was out of desperation
    I don’t mean to critcise Bows and Gallen. With the summer budget overall they have done a decent job and their options were severely limited. But I’m not having that Ledley has been the only dud. In fact I don’t even count him as a dud because he’s sitting there and for whatever reason Bows isn’t picking him. Hemed, Kayal, Aneke and Oztumer have all been duds so far. 
    How do you sign someone and know they're not going to be injured? - As said, would probably say Aneke has been a dud as apart from his Stoke goal hasnt really shown much

Oztumer though has shown his quality against Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday (just picking two games at random)
    Oztumer played ok against Wednesday and then gave away a crucial penalty. 

We are signing players that are injured! How many times over the last few years have we gambled on a crock. I’m not blaming Bows but he has made the decision to sign a quality player with an injury risk of a less talented player. I have sympathy because he shouldn’t have to continually make those calls. Either way Kayal and Hemed have 100% been duds, although hindsight is a wonderful thing. 
  • cfgs said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Even if it appears underwhelming this signing has been made by Gallen and Bowyer, whose judgement has so far been incredible.
    Kayal? Hemed? 

Kayal for me showed glimpses of being an good player for us this season but couldnt stay fit

As @RedChaser says, only dud really has been Joe Ledley and that was out of desperation
    I don’t mean to critcise Bows and Gallen. With the summer budget overall they have done a decent job and their options were severely limited. But I’m not having that Ledley has been the only dud. In fact I don’t even count him as a dud because he’s sitting there and for whatever reason Bows isn’t picking him. Hemed, Kayal, Aneke and Oztumer have all been duds so far. 
    How do you sign someone and know they're not going to be injured? - As said, would probably say Aneke has been a dud as apart from his Stoke goal hasnt really shown much

Oztumer though has shown his quality against Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday (just picking two games at random)
    Wasn't Kayal injured when he signed though or was he just unfit? On paper was a great signing so find it hard to blame Bowyer/Gallen for that, just a shame it hasn't worked out. 
  • Leon Clarke 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Leon Clarke 
    Hope he's binned those deep sea diver's boots the last time he graced the hallowed turf of the Valley 😉
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Leon Clarke 
    God I hope not. Last time I saw him in action he missed an open goal from about 2 yards out.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think you could make a compelling case that Purrington has been our worst signing this year. 
    Dreadful but not as bad as Aneke or Hemed 
  • We basically have one striker and no midfielders outside of Gallagher and Pratley. Think we need to get 8 in as we can’t rely on anyone ever getting fit. When Charlton players get injured they need 4 months to be eased back into the team 
  • I think you could make a compelling case that Purrington has been our worst signing this year. 
    Nowhere near. Started the season well, admittedly has been poor recently but nowhere near our worst signing. 
    The only reason I say this is that we just have not seen enough of the other signings mentioned to really judge how good or bad they are, where as Ben has played pretty consistently. 

When two blokes who are not natural left backs come in and play in your position better than you, I find that really worrying. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    I think you could make a compelling case that Purrington has been our worst signing this year. 
    Dreadful but not as bad as Aneke or Hemed 

Pearce was fine last night, I don't get the critisise.  We defended pretty comfortably but for one Solly error and 3-4 from Sarr which Lockyer/Pearce had to cover
    Exactly, at least Purrington has played 
  • The problem with Purrington is that he seems to think he is a right back and is found in that position more often than his own one. 
  • Someone like Emile Smith Rowe at Arsenal.  Kid, midfielder, some previous experience, club who we have a relationship with.  Pure guess work from me
  • Keinan Davis, Aston Villa

Just thinking beyond the obvious ones.
  • Talal said:
    cfgs said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Kayal? Hemed? 

Wasn't Kayal injured when he signed though or was he just unfit? On paper was a great signing so find it hard to blame Bowyer/Gallen for that, just a shame it hasn't worked out. 
    Kayal was recovering from an injury over the summer
    Nowhere near. Started the season well, admittedly has been poor recently but nowhere near our worst signing. 
    The only reason I say this is that we just have not seen enough of the other signings mentioned to really judge how good or bad they are, where as Ben has played pretty consistently. 

When two blokes who are not natural left backs come in and play in your position better than you, I find that really worrying. 
    Yeah very fair points. He started the season well so still think it’s slightly harsh. Overall been ok, if he carries on like he has recently I will certainly agree. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Problem with Purrington is the same as Solly

Both are playing Wing-Back because we dont have enough Midfielders to play anything else

Neither can play that role yet at least with Solly he can be swapped with Matthews
  • Sam Surridge has been recalled by Bournemouth from Swansea. 

The Swans are in for Brewster. 
  • E_cafc said:
    The problem with Purrington is that he seems to think he is a right back and is found in that position more often than his own one. 
    What? 
  • No Murray in Brighton team today
  • If we name every player to Cawley we might get it. 
  • cazo said:
    No Murray in Brighton team today
    He's probably injured ....... which means, despite what Cawley says, Brighton will let us have him.

It's what Brighton do. :neutral: