Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

•  Dick Plumb
  • Richard J said:
    Bostock made sense but I will look at Forest's line up at Stamford Bridge tomorrow with interest. It will also be complicated because his parent team is Toulouse. He is out of contract in the summer. 

I had thought Kevin McDonald at Fulham was a possibility he has now signed a year extension and played today.

Other midfielders that may be available are :Andy King ( Leicester) Rangers on loan , Liam Bridcutt ( Forest) Bolton on loan.
    Tom Carroll ( Swansea) 

Any left backs or centre backs? 
    Andy King is a great shout
  • Curbey said:
    The names we are being linked doesn't seem like we have as much money as some people originally thought.
    DOH!

Honestly, some mothers do have ‘em!
    Frank Spencer on a free. Got a mistake in him IMO.
  • In this transfer window, we must utilize the 8 loans allowed in the EFL; with 5 allowed to be in the 18 man squad. So Kayal,Field and Leko unfortunately are terminated loans which leaves Cafc with ?
    Gallagher, Cullen, Green and Amos. So unless there are anymore lossed in the Medical room that leaves 4 loanees to fill the 8 places. These 4 need to be quality and I would keep Amos in case Dillon gets injured but not put him on the bench, but let Maynard-Brewer deputise if the injury occurs in a match. This free's up a place for another loan player.
    At any one time at least 2 of the 8 will have slight knocks and won't be up for selection.
    ( As it's Cafc could be 6!)

So 4 loanees and 2 permanents with one marquee signing: EG Toney from Posh if Taylor departs. The best scenario is Taylor stays but we get another goalscorer to be included with Bonne which would leave as strong up front as opposed to the side that played the last 45 at Swansea.

No time for a honeymoon for Matt Southall and ESI: talking stops and action starts.

Can’t see us going for Toney now. We tried in the summer and Posh turned £4m knowing he’d be worth even more this year. I expect a low ranking Prem side to pick him up for £10m this window or next. At that price I don’t think Gallen/ESI would think that’s great value for money. Gallen will have identified other up and coming strikers who will have as much potential but are significantly cheaper.
    What we need is a proven striker (given the position we find ourselves in), not an up and coming one.
    I agree we need a proven goal scorer (up and coming or at the twilight of their career) but I think Toney is out of most Championship team budgets now. Part of Charlton’s bid in the summer would’ve been the fact we could’ve sold him eventually at a healthy profit. I don’t think that’s the case now.
  • Nothing to do with ownership, but a throwaway from Middlesbrough, on loan, a team that when both at full strength are no better than us, doesn’t fill me with an ounce of optimism.
  • edited January 2020
    There are prolific strikers in our division, Banford, Asombalonga, Puscas, plus those not made it in Prem like Vidyra, Austin ,Wells who are not desired. Overseas players never heard of are more lucrative for agents. Can think of few successful hit men who have gone from 3rd tier to 1st successfully. Doubt Toney is on radar of many top flight sides, so will go for less than £10m. Might have been more if Posh were up for promotion.

Deadline, 'oh we do have money after all' signing.
  • Crusty54 said:
    In the dim and distant past Charlton used to buy experienced scorers in the twilight of their careers to avoid relegation. Examples were Ron Saunders and Ray Crawford.
    Cliff Holton.
    Grapevine mentioned him on the previous page mate along with Eddie Firmani but easy to miss as it was a two liner 😀.
  • Sponsored links:

• Armand Gnanduillet scored one goal and set another up for Blackpool today. Commentator on talk sport said he played well. Also missed a pen ( tried to chip the keeper and hit the bar). Cawley said we tried to sign him in the summer 
  • I think we will sign the Blackpool striker to complete our strikers. I don’t think strikers are a priority anyway, as long as Taylor stays obviously. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    In the dim and distant past Charlton used to buy experienced scorers in the twilight of their careers to avoid relegation. Examples were Ron Saunders and Ray Crawford.
    Cliff Holton.
    Now there's a name :-) scored the first ever goal I saw at the Valley from a Len Glover free kick v Middlesbrough 65/66
    Actually saw him score on debut Feb 1966 in 4-1 away win at Portman Road Ipswich 😉.
  • I think we will sign the Blackpool striker to complete our strikers. I don’t think strikers are a priority anyway, as long as Taylor stays obviously. 
    Well he's French and loves a shite penalty... We should be demanding that we sign him!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50976083
    He looked a right handful!

Yes please!! 
  • Sage said:
    Doucher said he was out for the season, didn’t see anyone else say it. His treatment remains at West Brom, so unless he is claiming to have inside knowledge at the Baggies, I doubt anyone knows the extent right now. I don’t. 
    With a name like Sage, you should never admit to not knowing something. 
  • Gnanduillet would be a very welcome addition, so would Curtis
  • Hmmm, not sure what to make of these two ‘targets’. Seems like we are looking at getting numbers in and ensuring we have a big enough squad, rather than a few players of real quality. I don’t criticise that idea at all given recent issues with injuries. Just not sure if a player who is being chased by league one clubs, alongside Bostock who has not put down roots anywhere is ideal. Maybe the thought is that they can give us a surge of quality for the next five months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:
    Bostock made sense but I will look at Forest's line up at Stamford Bridge tomorrow with interest. It will also be complicated because his parent team is Toulouse. He is out of contract in the summer. 

I had thought Kevin McDonald at Fulham was a possibility he has now signed a year extension and played today.

Other midfielders that may be available are :Andy King ( Leicester) Rangers on loan , Liam Bridcutt ( Forest) Bolton on loan.
    Tom Carroll ( Swansea) 

Any left backs or centre backs? 
    Have seen Tom Carroll mentioned elsewhere.
  • I don’t think we will splash any cash. We still have a chance of relegation, be surprised if they want to go mad. I expect us to have an overhaul in the summer. Expecting one perm and two more loans in this window. 
  • edited January 2020
    I guess Bostock and Browne are bodies in the door, quick signings for the WBA and Preston league matches. If we are going to splash the cash, the chances are that any deals would drag on towards the end of the month

With the Fulham game definitely off, that means we only have 2 more league games this month anyway, 2 weeks after Preston to sort our squad out, ready for Barnsley on the 1st February!
     Followed immediately by Stoke away 2 six pointers on the spin assuming Fulham isn't rearranged midweek (or Cup replay lol).
  • Armand Gnanduillet scored one goal and set another up for Blackpool today. Commentator on talk sport said he played well. Also missed a pen ( tried to chip the keeper and hit the bar). Cawley said we tried to sign him in the summer 
    Decent player. Holds the ball up well and has good pace and strength. I think players like him and Clarke Harris would do well at Charlton. If Taylor goes we could do with both.

Definitely realistic targets.