Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• The thing is you’re not going to convince top end Championship players to come and join a fight against relegation. 

Our targets are going to be limited to players in the leagues below us, premier league youngsters on loan and then players that are not playing regularly for teams above us like Bostock and Browne, and they’re seen as not good enough by some. Bowyer wouldn’t sign players just for the sake of it, anyone we bring it will improve the squad.

I wouldn’t read too much into the signings we make in January, if they do the job and keep us up then we’ve achieved what we set out to do. The Summer window is where we’ll get more of an idea about how ambitious the new owners are.
    100%. The new owners have only been in the building 5 minutes, any signings coming in this month would have been scouted, discussed and ear marked long before the sale went through. We just need bodies to keep us up and then go again in the summer with some ESI funds.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Uboat said:
    The thing is you’re not going to convince top end Championship players to come and join a fight against relegation. 

You can if you pay them enough. 
    The thing is, we’ve done so well these last 18 months because Bowyer and Gallen have got players who are committed and want to come to play for us. Not ones who’s only concern is what they’re being paid.

I’d take a hungry player Bow trusts over a mercenary any day.
    Who are they then?
  • If our budget was the lowest in the Championship and Lee Bowyer said it was, so I believe him under Duchatelet.
    In this window wouldn't the ESI be a Mid table Championship budget, so at least players of a certain quality should be added to the list that Steve Gallen has or replace the Duchatelet, cheap as chips list ?

• All is well and in safe hands. Worry not.

• Going back a bit. Even before my time. Where's the new Hans Jeppson when we need him?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we'll sign Ivan Toney
  • Going back a bit. Even before my time. Where's the new Hans Jeppson when we need him?

Wow there's a name from the past, before my time but my dad raved about him.

• Didn’t someone on here link us with Idah? Scored a hattrick today for Norwich + won a penalty. Looked very decent
  • The thing is you’re not going to convince top end Championship players to come and join a fight against relegation. 

Our targets are going to be limited to players in the leagues below us, premier league youngsters on loan and then players that are not playing regularly for teams above us like Bostock and Browne, and they’re seen as not good enough by some. Bowyer wouldn’t sign players just for the sake of it, anyone we bring it will improve the squad.

I wouldn’t read too much into the signings we make in January, if they do the job and keep us up then we’ve achieved what we set out to do. The Summer window is where we’ll get more of an idea about how ambitious the new owners are.
    I think Bowyer will convince them!
    If the players look at the owners and the money they have, then those looking at the bigger picture will come.
    They’re the ones we want anyway.
    Those that can’t see the potential can stay where they are.
    we also look at loans to permanent!

Either way, we’ll be fine this season.
    it will be a scrap but we’ll get there.
  • Uboat said:
    The thing is you’re not going to convince top end Championship players to come and join a fight against relegation. 

You can if you pay them enough. 
    Top chmap clubs also pay high wages and have the lure of the prem.

This aint FM I'm afraid.
  • Personally i think we'll go about our business quietly in the next couple of weeks, we have a replacement in for Leko and we're obviously looking at a replacement for Kayal. A left back is a must as well.

See who comes back over the next couple of weeks (as we only have 2 league games in 4 weeks now), and then take a view on splashing some cash in the last week of the window.

As others have said, it's a bit tricky at the moment as once our players return from injury we have a decent side and a lot of competition, especially now some youngsters are more experienced. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally i think we'll go about our business quietly in the next couple of weeks, we have a replacement in for Leko and we're obviously looking at a replacement for Kayal. A left back is a must as well.

See who comes back over the next couple of weeks (as we only have 2 league games in 4 weeks now), and then take a view on splashing some cash in the last week of the window.

As others have said, it's a bit tricky at the moment as once our players return from injury we have a decent side and a lot of competition, especially now some youngsters are more experienced. 
    It’s that ‘once our players return from injury’ line again....

Problem is it will be too late by then. There isn’t a hope in hell in my opinion that we can rely on Williams, Cullen, Oztumer, Field, Hemed, JFC et al being back, then the standard 2-3 months to be able to compete 90 mins. Then the setbacks in training which delay returns in the first place.

it would be a disaster to go down once we finally have new owners. We need to get the players in now to ensure we 100pc stay up. No risks. Then be more measured in the summer 
    I completely agree but i don't think it will come to this.

We only have 2 league games in the next 4 weeks, 2 games that we probably wouldn't expect to get much from anyway, so i don't think there's really much need to panic just yet. 

Let's say (for example) Williams, Oztumer, JFC, Cullen and Aneke are all due back by the end of January, it's highly unlikely we'll go and make 3-4 new midfield signings and then have 3 of them sitting in the west stand when some of them return from injury.

Bowyer and Gallen will know who is returning soon, and whilst i fully accept it's unlikely we'll ever get everyone fit at the same time, they will know where we need additional signings. 
  • Chunes said: 
    Let's take a big step back from speculation  and look at the facts we do have. 

From Roland's EFL statement:

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

And this from Lee Bowyer:

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
  • Curbey said:
    The names we are being linked doesn't seem like we have as much money as some people originally thought.
    DOH!

Honestly, some mothers do have ‘em!
    Frank Spencer on a free. Got a mistake in him IMO.
    Not the first player to wear a beret at The Valley.
  • edited January 2020
    I think what is interesting to me, is the lack of leaks or people in the know with this consortium, there weren’t a whisper of this group prior to the takeover, or the player we got in on loan. They are running a very tight ship at the moment, I wonder if this will be maintained or wether reliable information will be leaked out once they get there feet under the table. To mount a bid of whatever value it turns out and not a single hint that they are interested is quiet a feat, surely the same can be said about bringing a player in on loan. Just a thought that perhaps the normal people who are normally in the know aren’t and until the new management structure sorts out who can be trusted or who will leak information then we may not hear anything, and anything we else do hear will be guesses and speculations. Mind you I could be completely wrong and I’m certainly not in the know.

I've also copied a pasted this post onto the takeover thread as it applies to both. 
  • Leaks also come from agents, players, players families and the press. Plus of course, wild speculation. 

More than enough to keep this thread going.
  • supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 
    Let's take a big step back from speculation  and look at the facts we do have. 

From Roland's EFL statement:

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

And this from Lee Bowyer:

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
    Nobody buys a clab to stabilise them in the Championship.  They'll get the best players available in this window at sensible prices - players whose contracts are running out in June and the best of players from below- so the QPR centre half, Bradford central midfielder, Pompey winger and Blackpool forward make sense as signings.

I'd imagine they'll try for both Murray and Gayle but who knows if we will get either.

In the close season there'll be a lot of ins and outs and that's when I think Tony and top Champ players or out of favour Prem players will be targeted. 

You don't spend £40m or so, plus prove funds for running costs for 2 years to just tread water.

Our ground holds 28k.  We are an attractive London based club with potential.

They are going to give it a real go in making the Premiership.

In my humble opinion.
    In our context, stabalise means dont get relegated.