Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• My father was a big Jeppson fan but the memory of Cliff Holton and Eddie Firmani in those almost perennial battles against relegation in my youth live long in my memory.

Firstly Holton in 1966 tearing apart the feted young  Centre Half Alan Stephenson in  a 1-0 victory over Palace and then an Easter Monday 5-2 victory over Preston where the 37yr centre forward outpaced and held off a posse of defenders from the halfway line to seal the win.

Then Firmani a similarly ageing veteran called out of Southend Reserves in 1967/68 to net 6 times in 10 games. The pace and mobility of 4/5 yrs earlier had gone but the class and ability to find space in the box was still there. I can still visualise the towering header in a late win against against Northampton.

Sadly I am not sure they make players like those two any more

Holton was a very big fella (I’d say 6’ 2” or so), with legs like tree trunks, a no nonsense old school centre forward and something of a human battering ram.
    When he took penalties or dead ball free kicks defenders and keepers would dive out of the way......I ain’t joking either!
    Think we got him from Watford?
    Yes we did :-)

• Chunes said:
    Let's take a big step back from speculation  and look at the facts we do have. 

From Roland's EFL statement:

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

And this from Lee Bowyer:

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    That those things were said is fact but what's contained in those statements is not necessarily fact, it could just as likely be a smokescreen for that's actually going on behind the scenes.
    Correct!

NOBODY WITH ANY SENSE would write we've got loads of cash and we're going to be spending big in the close season to try and get in the Premiership. 

However and I repeat it NOBODY buys a club for 40-50m plus running costs to NOT TRY and get in the Premiership.

WHETHER IT HAPPENS WE WILL SEE but you're mental if you think otherwise. 

Any new owner wants their club to be successful!  Ergo get into the Premiership.

• Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
    Nobody buys a clab to stabilise them in the Championship.  They'll get the best players available in this window at sensible prices - players whose contracts are running out in June and the best of players from below- so the QPR centre half, Bradford central midfielder, Pompey winger and Blackpool forward make sense as signings.

I'd imagine they'll try for both Murray and Gayle but who knows if we will get either.

In the close season there'll be a lot of ins and outs and that's when I think Tony and top Champ players or out of favour Prem players will be targeted. 

You don't spend £40m or so, plus prove funds for running costs for 2 years to just tread water.

Our ground holds 28k.  We are an attractive London based club with potential.

They are going to give it a real go in making the Premiership.

In my humble opinion.
    Bowyer has said the plan is to become an established Championship club first and then push on from there. That's the only statement of intent we have based on the new owners so while your view may not be wrong it's pure speculation. 

Personally I find it worrying the way many of our fans expectations for players, signings, league position etc seem to have absolutely skyrocketed in a few days, whereas a few weeks ago we may all have been happy just to have our Charlton back. There is a real disturbing sense of entitlement creeping in.
    Again @Chunes you don't buy a club for 40-50m plus running costs for 2 years to tread water. 

Whether we get promoted or not is another thing!
    Sigh... As Bowyer said, the plan is to first become an established Championship side and then look to mount a promotion challenge. You're the only one talking about treading water. 

Also, for reference, Dutchatelet bought the club for 16 mil, got it relegated, ripped out the team, failed in every way, got promoted back to where it was again, and sold the club on at a 40+ million pound profit with no progress whatsoever.
    Did TwoShits actually make any money?  I've asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Did they pay him £60m and take on the debt owed to Staprix or did the £60m cover the debt so Roland effectively got nothing, just the money he'd loaned us repaid?
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 

So there are the facts.

Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
    Nobody buys a clab to stabilise them in the Championship.  They'll get the best players available in this window at sensible prices - players whose contracts are running out in June and the best of players from below- so the QPR centre half, Bradford central midfielder, Pompey winger and Blackpool forward make sense as signings.

I'd imagine they'll try for both Murray and Gayle but who knows if we will get either.

In the close season there'll be a lot of ins and outs and that's when I think Tony and top Champ players or out of favour Prem players will be targeted. 

You don't spend £40m or so, plus prove funds for running costs for 2 years to just tread water.

In my humble opinion.
    Bowyer has said the plan is to become an established Championship club first and then push on from there. That's the only statement of intent we have based on the new owners so while your view may not be wrong it's pure speculation. 

Personally I find it worrying the way many of our fans expectations for players, signings, league position etc seem to have absolutely skyrocketed in a few days, whereas a few weeks ago we may all have been happy just to have our Charlton back. There is a real disturbing sense of entitlement creeping in.
    Again @Chunes you don't buy a club for 40-50m plus running costs for 2 years to tread water. 

Sigh... As Bowyer said, the plan is to first become an established Championship side and then look to mount a promotion challenge. You're the only one talking about treading water. 

Also, for reference, Dutchatelet bought the club for 16 mil, got it relegated, ripped out the team, failed in every way, got promoted back to where it was again, and sold the club on at a 40+ million pound profit with no progress whatsoever.
    Did TwoShits actually make any money?  I've asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Did they pay him £60m and take on the debt owed to Staprix or did the £60m cover the debt so Roland effectively got nothing, just the money he'd loaned us repaid?
    Roland definitely lost money, just not as much as I hoped. No way did they pay 60mil plus take on debt. 
  • edited January 2020
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    DOUCHER said:
    my 'mitk' has now advised field will be back in 3 weeks!!!!! , cullen will be out training next week and taylor out 2/3 weeks - inquest under way re the field news!!!!
    Good for you for coming on here, holding your hands up and saying that you got it completely wrong and weren't ITK.
    think what you like but i can guarantee you i don't make this stuff up and my mitk is probably as ITK as it gets - takeovers, injuries, transfers - look at my record baby - i may be a pantomine villain on here but 99% of the time, i'm bang on 
    Relax. It was a joke. I thought you liked 'jousting with the smartarses', but maybe not. 
    Does jousting with a smartarse require the other side of the joust to actually be smart and an arse?  In which case, I'm sure you fulfil one of those requirements, it's the other I'm not sure of.
  • DOUCHER said:
    my 'mitk' has now advised field will be back in 3 weeks!!!!! , cullen will be out training next week and taylor out 2/3 weeks - inquest under way re the field news!!!!
    I think that should be your 'mwhgafs'. 
    Not 'mwhgafc'?
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 

So there are the facts.

In my humble opinion.

I really doubt he made money. You'd have to work out how much cash he loaned the club, which would have been written off with the takeover, and see how this compares. 

What he hasn't though is lost the money he would have done if he'd sold us as a cut price in L1.
  • Would love Brewster. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I think that should be your 'mwhgafs'. 
    Not 'mwhgafc'?
    Clue or Scooby = same thing :smile:

• supaclive said:
    Chunes said:

So there are the facts.

That those things were said is fact but what's contained in those statements is not necessarily fact, it could just as likely be a smokescreen for that's actually going on behind the scenes.
    Correct!

NOBODY WITH ANY SENSE would write we've got loads of cash and we're going to be spending big in the close season to try and get in the Premiership. 

However and I repeat it NOBODY buys a club for 40-50m plus running costs to NOT TRY and get in the Premiership.

Any new owner wants their club to be successful!  Ergo get into the Premiership.

There is the possibility that they also want to re develop the local area and make money that way.
    Charlton could be a lovely little spot by the river and also merge with Blackheath and Greenwich wealth!
    take us into the premiership but only as an add on to the area.
    It would be a win win.
    Wouldn't get us anywhere near Man City as they can buy the land so cheap.
    Little old Charlton is in an expensive spot.

i don’t think our acquisition actually has anything to do with us as a team.
    I think it’s more likely to be rich Arabs buying up London covering the diminishing oil reserves and making shrewd investments instead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I realise that taking players on loan will be cheaper than buying any out right, but I wouldnt like to see the 2 or 3 new "signings" that LB had talked about to be young loanees like Brewster et al. We have enough of them now, what with Gallagher, Field & Green. What we need are experienced players, in the 25-30 age bracket.....and you dont usually get those on loan. 
  • supaclive said:
    Chunes said:

So there are the facts.

Correct!

Four times, why not go for five?
  • edited January 2020
    Chunes said:

So there are the facts.

That those things were said is fact but what's contained in those statements is not necessarily fact, it could just as likely be a smokescreen for what's actually going on behind the scenes.
    So what we have is facts and speculation. It's a fact that he said that but what you're saying is a speculation, and perhaps would be a little biased in hoping that these owners are moneybags after all. 

We will see I guess. I don't doubt there might be an eventual push for the Premier League but things take time. 
  • It is a fact that people speculate on what facts are not merely speculation but fact. And it is a fact that people speculate on facts that are not in fact facts but merely speculation. The distinction between which facts are facts and which speculation is speculation comes down to which are facts and which are speculation. 
    Thanks for clearing that one up for us.
  • Scoham said:
    Should be fun on here this week then
  • The striker, hardly needed saying, when the only fit striker is a lad who was playing for Enfield last season in Davidson. Hemed has never looked sharp since he arrived, despite the compliments coming from Brighton. 

It's paramount that a player who has a record of scoring goals is brought in on loan, but in the January window that means someone who isn't wanted or is another youngster.
    Even a 28 day loan for a premier reserve striker must be an option to cover Taylor and Bonne.
    Good news we only have 2 League matches this month but plucky 1 and 2 goal defeats bring Zero points.

• Sponsored links:

• The striker, hardly needed saying, when the only fit striker is a lad who was playing for Enfield last season in Davidson. Hemed has never looked sharp since he arrived, despite the compliments coming from Brighton. 

It's paramount that a player who has a record of scoring goals is brought in on loan, but in the January window that means someone who isn't wanted or is another youngster.
    Even a 28 day loan for a premier reserve striker must be an option to cover Taylor and Bonne.
    Good news we only have 2 League matches this month but plucky 1 and 2 goal defeats bring Zero points.

Bows said with experience so that kinda rules out a youngster. Glen Murray would be a great signing, hopefully for the rest of the season as he would be effective coming off the bench if we need to nick a goal.
  • Newcastle United's English forward Dwight Gayle, 29, has been linked with Championship promotion hopefuls Preston(Lancashire Evening Post)

• Thought this was worth a mention to speculate

Pboro lining up Toneys replacement? 
  • Thought this was worth a mention to speculate

Pboro lining up Toneys replacement? 
    My Ipswich mate from work bangs on about him all the time, could well be us throwing our hat in.
  • edited January 2020
  • After having a long chat with Rhoys Wiggins at the Donny Semi final, it was interesting to hear about the politics of football concerning injuries(Rhoys was an expert !) Wages and being in or out of favour with managers, and what does a retired footballer do when he has to retire at 30 when he isn't mega rich.(study sports nutrition in Rhoys' case)

IF a player like Murray gets a 5 month deal, his wages would be 500 % up on Taylor(current deal) and about 1000% up on Bonne(current deal) this is only an estimate but it's gives an idea about the politics of football and the difficulty of Steve Gallen's job when he had the lowest budget under Douchebag and an unknown budget under ESI.

We need to bring in more Quality than Stoke, Wigan, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Luton etc to regain the momentum we had earlier this Season before Bowyer ran over that Black cat.
  • edited January 2020
    Surprised by the Bowyer comments, claims Davison is only fit striker so Hemed, though he played on Sunday, isn't thought of and clearly means Green won't be utilised as a main striker, perhaps a change in formation and tactics is coming? 
  • sam3110 said:
    Surprised by the Bowyer comments, claims Davison is only fit striker so Hemed, though he played on Sunday, isn't thought of and clearly means Green won't be utilised as a main striker, perhaps a change in formation and tactics is coming? 
    Fit to start....