Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Surprised by the Bowyer comments, claims Davison is only fit striker so Hemed, though he played on Sunday, isn't thought of and clearly means Green won't be utilised as a main striker, perhaps a change in formation and tactics is coming? 
    Just to explain to anyone who isn't clear on Andre Green.
    50 Aps for Aston Villa, Portsmouth loan and Preston loan = 2 goals
    20 Aps for England U16 to U20 = 0 goals.

The lad is a winger who once scored a smart finish for Villa.
    My hope is he can improve and like Williams, can get assists because 70aps for club and Country has garnered 2 goals.

With Taylor and Bonne hopefully fit and still playing together he can get assists and any goal is a bonus. Leko's stats of goals and assists were good for a lad who's legs were too fast for his brain but showed some great skill when brain and feet were in tandem.
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 
    Let's take a big step back from speculation  and look at the facts we do have. 

From Roland's EFL statement:

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

And this from Lee Bowyer:

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
    Nobody buys a clab to stabilise them in the Championship.  They'll get the best players available in this window at sensible prices - players whose contracts are running out in June and the best of players from below- so the QPR centre half, Bradford central midfielder, Pompey winger and Blackpool forward make sense as signings.

I'd imagine they'll try for both Murray and Gayle but who knows if we will get either.

In the close season there'll be a lot of ins and outs and that's when I think Tony and top Champ players or out of favour Prem players will be targeted. 

You don't spend £40m or so, plus prove funds for running costs for 2 years to just tread water.

Our ground holds 28k.  We are an attractive London based club with potential.

They are going to give it a real go in making the Premiership.

In my humble opinion.
    Bowyer has said the plan is to become an established Championship club first and then push on from there. That's the only statement of intent we have based on the new owners so while your view may not be wrong it's pure speculation. 

Personally I find it worrying the way many of our fans expectations for players, signings, league position etc seem to have absolutely skyrocketed in a few days, whereas a few weeks ago we may all have been happy just to have our Charlton back. There is a real disturbing sense of entitlement creeping in.
    Again @Chunes you don't buy a club for 40-50m plus running costs for 2 years to tread water. 

Whether we get promoted or not is another thing!
    Sigh... As Bowyer said, the plan is to first become an established Championship side and then look to mount a promotion challenge. You're the only one talking about treading water. 

Also, for reference, Dutchatelet bought the club for 16 mil, got it relegated, ripped out the team, failed in every way, got promoted back to where it was again, and sold the club on at a 40+ million pound profit with no progress whatsoever.
    Did TwoShits actually make any money?  I've asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Did they pay him £60m and take on the debt owed to Staprix or did the £60m cover the debt so Roland effectively got nothing, just the money he'd loaned us repaid?
    Important point you make. I really, really hope he didn't make a profit out of his ownership of Charlton Athletic. Would love to know the bottom line. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said: 

"Part of the plan for ESI is to strengthen the team in January, using these weeks in December to put the building blocks in place for that..."

"They want to stabilise us to stay in the league. There will be some help in Jan. That’s what we need to do as a football club. We need to become an established championship side and then you can build on that

So there are the facts.

There will be money available if Bow and Gallen want to spend it. Bodies will come in. And we are aiming to stabilise, not go mad with marquee signings.

There has been no indication from anywhere that these guys are going to spend megabucks. That's been pure CL speculation based on the owner's family. I see nothing so far to suggest that's true. 
    Quite. As far as we know, the Sheik is not putting any money into this enterprise and none of us know how much The Excellent Tony is actually worth. 
    Nobody buys a clab to stabilise them in the Championship.  They'll get the best players available in this window at sensible prices - players whose contracts are running out in June and the best of players from below- so the QPR centre half, Bradford central midfielder, Pompey winger and Blackpool forward make sense as signings.

I'd imagine they'll try for both Murray and Gayle but who knows if we will get either.

In the close season there'll be a lot of ins and outs and that's when I think Tony and top Champ players or out of favour Prem players will be targeted. 

You don't spend £40m or so, plus prove funds for running costs for 2 years to just tread water.

Our ground holds 28k.  We are an attractive London based club with potential.

They are going to give it a real go in making the Premiership.

In my humble opinion.
    Bowyer has said the plan is to become an established Championship club first and then push on from there. That's the only statement of intent we have based on the new owners so while your view may not be wrong it's pure speculation. 

Personally I find it worrying the way many of our fans expectations for players, signings, league position etc seem to have absolutely skyrocketed in a few days, whereas a few weeks ago we may all have been happy just to have our Charlton back. There is a real disturbing sense of entitlement creeping in.
    Again @Chunes you don't buy a club for 40-50m plus running costs for 2 years to tread water. 

Whether we get promoted or not is another thing!
    Sigh... As Bowyer said, the plan is to first become an established Championship side and then look to mount a promotion challenge. You're the only one talking about treading water. 

Also, for reference, Dutchatelet bought the club for 16 mil, got it relegated, ripped out the team, failed in every way, got promoted back to where it was again, and sold the club on at a 40+ million pound profit with no progress whatsoever.
    Did TwoShits actually make any money?  I've asked this before but didn't get an answer.  Did they pay him £60m and take on the debt owed to Staprix or did the £60m cover the debt so Roland effectively got nothing, just the money he'd loaned us repaid?
    Important point you make. I really, really hope he didn't make a profit out of his ownership of Charlton Athletic. Would love to know the bottom line. 
    I doubt we'll ever find out, so will have to simply hope.

Sadly I doubt he lost as much as he deserved.
  • It is a fact that people speculate on what facts are not merely speculation but fact. And it is a fact that people speculate on facts that are not in fact facts but merely speculation. The distinction between which facts are facts and which speculation is speculation comes down to which are facts and which are speculation. 
    KiwiValley an early leader in the Donald Rumsfeld Unknown Unknowns Stakes.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

So there are the facts.

That those things were said is fact but what's contained in those statements is not necessarily fact, it could just as likely be a smokescreen for what's actually going on behind the scenes.
    So what we have is facts and speculation. It's a fact that he said that but what you're saying is a speculation, and perhaps would be a little biased in hoping that these owners are moneybags after all. 

We will see I guess. I don't doubt there might be an eventual push for the Premier League but things take time. 
    Of course what I've said is speculation - the use of the word 'could' is a give away.  But it's also speculation that what was said in those quotes are facts.  If you believe everything you read or hear, how would you like to buy this Brooklyn Bridge I've got going cheap?
  • I give up.

• Not transfer targets NOW. Maybe they were 2 months ago, but hopefully we have better targets to go for 

Correct.   Our budget and expectations have simply got much bigger since the takeover.

Purely speculation... albeit Cawley basically says the same, without saying the same, above....! :-)

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    I remember when we played Wigan; Bowyer said that he wanted to sign Kieffer Moore and Jamal Lowe from Barnsley / Portsmouth respectfully in the summer but couldnt because of funds

If we went after a Defender; Dunkley would be a good call from them
  • edited January 2020
    Glad Rich has dismissed those links, would have been very underwhelming signings. I don't think he has dismissed the Ronan Curtis link, someone has asked him as well 
  • edited January 2020
  • There's a recall clause in Eoin Doyle's contract. This isn't based in anything, but I'd love to know if he'd be an option, should he be recalled.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    There's a recall clause in Eoin Doyle's contract. This isn't based in anything, but I'd love to know if he'd be an option, should he be recalled.
    Has played for both Bradford and Swindon this season so there are two options for him
  • Glad Rich has dismissed those links, would have been very underwhelming signings. I don't think he has dismissed the Ronan Curtis link, someone has asked him as well 
    Probably pre-ESI options.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    There's a recall clause in Eoin Doyle's contract. This isn't based in anything, but I'd love to know if he'd be an option, should he be recalled.
    I was thinking Doyle, had a look at the top scorers the other day and he has something like 22/23, goal scored just over 90 minutes or so. Insane return regardless of it being league 2. Only issue is I don't think he's eligible for another club this season? 

Another player I wonder if Gallen and Bowyer might have a pop for is Godden, just scored back to back hatricks, when we played him I thought he was a proper versatile forward
  • Teams still in the cup might get attractive draws tonight which might affect thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• If reports are correct that we are looking to bring in another forward/striker on loan then it does mean we would need a permanent CM to replace Kayal to be just be level on numbers with where we started the season.
  • The mania and gloom on here if we haven't signed anybody by Thursday morning will be off the scale.
  • FYI, not one person on here mentioned Green when we were discussing rumours before he signed, so all names mentioned this week in the run up to the next signing, do not take seriously.
    Bang on
  • seth plum said:
    Teams still in the cup might get attractive draws tonight which might affect thinking.
    As we are out, every draw will seem attractive for other clubs.
  • Southall has liked a tweet about Toney and Maddison. Could be nothing, could be everything!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Has played for both Bradford and Swindon this season so there are two options for him
    Yeah that rules us - and any other club - out then. Fair enough.
  • MarkyE83 said:
    Southall has liked a tweet about Toney and Maddison. Could be nothing, could be everything!
    He is mates with Posh's owner and is going for a drink with him if you read the tweets.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Yeah that rules us - and any other club - out then. Fair enough.
    He was absolutely pony for Bradford in league 1 last season.