Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• there is very little transfer action right across the EFL/Prem at present .. a glut of available players needing scrutiny/vetting and a much needed dose of reality about available cash perhaps 
  • Step 1: Stay up - We will only need to sign a few players to do this, they will be selective no doubt and I can't see us signing half a dozen players in January calm down, that could be very risky

Step2: Rebuild- In the Summer if we are still in the Championship, we will be able to sign the better players which everyone wants us to sign.

I have no doubt they have not bought a side to just get by, but one step at a time people. Slow down, no need to panic, give them all a chance and with Boywer and Gallen at the helm have some faith.

Totally agree...gee I remember start of season all everyone wanted was for us was just to stay up,that will happen, with the injured coming back & the coaching of Bows & Jacko,couple of sticky plaster signings that Gallen & Co fancy,that will see us safe...then we go next season...can’t believe anyone is doubting the signings wether a £ ££ or more...we woulda prob been more than safe with the squad we had built before said injuries...have a bit more faith,we are Charlton Athletic we will survive this time...👍
  • Bizarre one as he seems versatile defensive cover. We need quality over quantity at the back. 

If he was a midfielder I would get it but as he’s a defender I find it odd. It’s also a concern he didn’t get a game last year. However I will judge him on how he does for us and will back Gallen for the timebeing. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:
    We're just going to get a few bodies in to sure up the ship and hopefully get us safe, just, this season. I still think ppl will be disappointed even in the summer though. Early indications we'll still be shopping for out of contract / free transfers. Hopefully a step above our previous frees but free transfers none the less. 

why then have ESI spent a bund,e on the club, if that's the casse?
    You don't build a squad to challenge for promotion in the January window - it is to plug gaps. There are no nuggets available in January.

We will not be promoted this season but we could go down - priority one is survival.

We survive and then the test will come in the summer to answer the questions about how serious the new owners are to maximise their investment. You do not spend £30-40-50 whatever million to buy a club and commit £15 million to getting a Cat 1 academy just to tread water in the Championship.
    You talk too much sense 
  • bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:
    We're just going to get a few bodies in to sure up the ship and hopefully get us safe, just, this season. I still think ppl will be disappointed even in the summer though. Early indications we'll still be shopping for out of contract / free transfers. Hopefully a step above our previous frees but free transfers none the less. 

You don't build a squad to challenge for promotion in the January window - it is to plug gaps. There are no nuggets available in January.

We will not be promoted this season but we could go down - priority one is survival.

We survive and then the test will come in the summer to answer the questions about how serious the new owners are to maximise their investment. You do not spend £30-40-50 whatever million to buy a club and commit £15 million to getting a Cat 1 academy just to tread water in the Championship.
    Good post and I agree 100%. The concern on face value is what plug Kean gaps? We are not lacking a half decent defender, we are lacking midfield numbers and a quality CB. But he could surprise us again, hopefully he comes eager to get his career back on track. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

Good post and I agree 100%. The concern on face value is what plug Kean gaps? We are not lacking a half decent defender, we are lacking midfield numbers and a quality CB. But he could surprise us again, hopefully he comes eager to get his career back on track. 
     Lose Lockyer or Pearce and we are in serious trouble. Not beyond the realms of possibility considering the amount of games they've played and our luck.

I'd say a CB is as much a priority as anywhere else
  • Bizarre one as he seems versatile defensive cover. We need quality over quantity at the back. 

If he was a midfielder I would get it but as he’s a defender I find it odd. It’s also a concern he didn’t get a game last year. However I will judge him on how he does for us and will back Gallen for the timebeing. 

bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

I accept that. First we must make sure we don't go down. We must invest enough to ensure thaat. However Scruffle suggests that in the Summer we may still be shopping in the bargain basement etc etc. Now If that proves to be true (which i hope/and don't think is correct), then my question is more than valid.
  • Melrose said:
    Bizarre one as he seems versatile defensive cover. We need quality over quantity at the back. 

bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

I accept that. First we must make sure we don't go down. We must invest enough to ensure thaat. However Scruffle suggests that in the Summer we may still be shopping in the bargain basement etc etc. Now If that proves to be true (which i hope/and don't think is correct), then my question is more than valid.
    Everything is pure speculation, let's juts enjoy now and see how January pans out before worrying about the summer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Melrose said:
    Bizarre one as he seems versatile defensive cover. We need quality over quantity at the back. 

bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

Everything is pure speculation, let's juts enjoy now and see how January pans out before worrying about the summer. 
    Not that worried Shine. It's not me that's chucked £50 mil into the club :)

• edited January 2020
    This window isn't really going to be about chucking money around for the sake of it. If we have a decent budget then we're hardly going to announce it to the world. 

No nothing of Kean, Morrison was slated by a Wednesday fans before he signed hopefully Kean can be just as good 
  • Really don't want to be downbeat about all this and, yes, we have to be patient to see what we end up with at the end of the window BUT...

...I'm not getting excited by Gonads or this Bryan character. I would've thought with a bit of dough behind us we could go and get a solid, experienced centre back. We might still do that if this guy has been signed as a left back i guess.

Gonads is OK but i hope we're not relying on him to solve our problems. As a squad player he sounds great. As a replacement for Taylor he doesn't.

That's just my personal opinion at the moment but i'm mature enough to see how things pan out before i panic too much.

I'm sure we won't be let down.
  • Our season will be determined by the quality of these signings imo. It will take time for the injured players to get back to their best. The law of averages is that some will break down again. ESI are talking the talk. Let's see what happens, but as others have said, I'm also not blown away by any of the rumoured players so far. Hope to be wrong
  • I think Taylor and his agent decided long ago that he was moving on. His injury was no doubt genuine but since coming back he has perhaps understandably not pushed himself and his thigh strain confirms to me anyway that he is protecting himself. I suspect he has had a gentleman’s agreement somewhere for some time. He’s never put down football roots so he is consistent in that anyway.

The real question is who we replace him with. Younger and from lower divisions would be a risk given our precarious League position but strikers don’t come cheap do they. We will find out a lot about ESI over the next few weeks. 
    They scanned his thigh, so no hiding place there.
  • Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

Because that's what the assets are worth, not the actually football club. I dont necessarily think it's a bad thing at present with transfer fees. Think it was wenger to first predict the end of transfer fees and other than mega 'statement signings' we will see less and less actual fees paid. 
  • Melrose said:
    Melrose said:
    The calibre and qualitiy of the players we are RUMOURED to be linked with are getting worse and worse. What happened to Vydra and Curtis?
    you know that 99.9% of the 'rumours' are guesswork allied to a bit of wishful thinking and player list pin sticking ((:>) .. and that includes all our self proclaimed 'experts' 
    Lincs, you're right of course. Don't know why I keep getting my hopes up. Really should have learnt by now

no news is good news lol .. the longer it goes on without signings, the better quality player we SHOULD be signing ..  that's my hope anyway .. we will see
    We'll be buying players 30 minutes before the deadline instead of 30 seconds.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    Blades mate said Bryan is by far their worst player and i quote "we've got Leon Clarke".
     He's 23 and played twice FFS!

How olds your mate? 12
    Very odd thing to say, not sure what relevance his age is.

Anyway, my friend Hal is a footballing genius, if he said Bryan is their worst player then I believe him.
    Besides there is a reason he's not near the first team, but for the life of me, I cannot think what that reason would be.

When all is said and done, Leicester fans were not keen on Yann, just as Wednesday fans were not keen on Morrison and we all know what happened next...
    What footballing genius makes an assumption on a player after seeing him play twice?

A non footballing genius. That's who
    How many appearances did Loic Nego or Polish Pete make for us? Don't really remember people complaining that they should have played more.

How many times did those boys get an outing? Yet, we'd already made our minds up......

How old are you, 12?
  • Sponsored links:

• Melrose said:
    Melrose said:
    The calibre and qualitiy of the players we are RUMOURED to be linked with are getting worse and worse. What happened to Vydra and Curtis?
    you know that 99.9% of the 'rumours' are guesswork allied to a bit of wishful thinking and player list pin sticking ((:>) .. and that includes all our self proclaimed 'experts' 
    Lincs, you're right of course. Don't know why I keep getting my hopes up. Really should have learnt by now

no news is good news lol .. the longer it goes on without signings, the better quality player we SHOULD be signing ..  that's my hope anyway .. we will see
    We'll be buying players 30 minutes before the deadline instead of 30 seconds.
    like takeovers .. we do love a bitta brinksmanship ((:>)
  •  Anil Cock was shi t 

Rod Fanny had promise
  • It would’ve been unrealistic to think they’d come in and start spending 10s of millions like some other teams in this league, but I think a lot of us hoped/expected to start competing for real proven championship talent rather than filling up on bottom of the barrel castaways and loans like we have done so far. Maybe things will pick up as we go through the window and I trust that Gallen has some players in mind but there’s been nothing inspiring so far. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:

Lose Lockyer or Pearce and we are in serious trouble. Not beyond the realms of possibility considering the amount of games they've played and our luck.

I'd say a CB is as much a priority as anywhere else
    Agree on Lockyer, definitely not on Pearce. IMO he's our weakest CB. 

If you read my post, I did say we lack a quality CB. But Kean is a cheap signing, I would have signed a CB but it would have been a decent experienced one to partner Lockyer. 

To be fair, injuries or not we need someone to partner Lockyer. With Sarr inconsistent and Pearce, in my opinion not good enough for this division we leak far too many goals.

Hopefully this one is the answer, no problems with signing a CBwhen there clearly is a problem at the back 
    I agree, Oshilija deserves a chance alongside Lockyer. If Kean turns out well, then fair enough. I was just hoping if we signed a CB it would be better than someone who couldn't get an appearance last year in this division. 

Like I said though, I will give the lad a chance and hope he does better than expected.