Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• It would’ve been unrealistic to think they’d come in and start spending 10s of millions like some other teams in this league, but I think a lot of us hoped/expected to start competing for real proven championship talent rather than filling up on bottom of the barrel castaways and loans like we have done so far. Maybe things will pick up as we go through the window and I trust that Gallen has some players in mind but there’s been nothing inspiring so far. 
    We have only signed one player so far so I don’t understand?
  • So.....what's happened to that mysterious centre half who was captain of his club & was from London (born in, not playing for a club in). Permanent move being signed this week we were told by all those itk. 
  • “Rome wasn’t built in a day”

Some Charlton lifers, 2020.
    Fixed it for you.
  • Redrobo said:
    It would’ve been unrealistic to think they’d come in and start spending 10s of millions like some other teams in this league, but I think a lot of us hoped/expected to start competing for real proven championship talent rather than filling up on bottom of the barrel castaways and loans like we have done so far. Maybe things will pick up as we go through the window and I trust that Gallen has some players in mind but there’s been nothing inspiring so far. 
    Of the names that have come up so far, like I said, maybe it’ll pick up as we go on.
  • Wednesday interested in Taylor what about swap deal for Jordan Rhoades
    Past his sell by date now plus I am sure he is on a big wedge.
    Rather have Steven Fletcher
  • Redrobo said:
    It would’ve been unrealistic to think they’d come in and start spending 10s of millions like some other teams in this league, but I think a lot of us hoped/expected to start competing for real proven championship talent rather than filling up on bottom of the barrel castaways and loans like we have done so far. Maybe things will pick up as we go through the window and I trust that Gallen has some players in mind but there’s been nothing inspiring so far. 
    Of the names that have come up so far, like I said, maybe it’ll pick up as we go on.
    I think it wii. The Blackpool striker Gonads looks OK and a squad should have 4 IMO. Bonne, Hemed so we still need a replacement for Taylor if he goes. That deal will take longer as it will probably have to wait until the bigger clubs have finished fishing.
  • Was it Chris Wilder that signed Kean Bryan for Sheffield Utd ? If it was then he’s a pretty good manager who must have seen something about him. 
    That was one of my first thoughts. They’re now 8th in Prem, not being good enough for them now doesn’t mean he can’t be good for us.
  • “Rome wasn’t built in a day”

Some Charlton lifers, 2020.
    Fixed it for you.
    Think he got it right first time pal 
  • My God some of then names being banded about on here are a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• My God some of then names being banded about on here are a joke.
    Who would you like us to sign then?
  • Scoham said:
    Was it Chris Wilder that signed Kean Bryan for Sheffield Utd ? If it was then he’s a pretty good manager who must have seen something about him. 
    That was one of my first thoughts. They’re now 8th in Prem, not being good enough for them now doesn’t mean he can’t be good for us.
    He wasn't good enough last year in this division.

• bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:
    We're just going to get a few bodies in to sure up the ship and hopefully get us safe, just, this season. I still think ppl will be disappointed even in the summer though. Early indications we'll still be shopping for out of contract / free transfers. Hopefully a step above our previous frees but free transfers none the less. 

why then have ESI spent a bund,e on the club, if that's the casse?
    You don't build a squad to challenge for promotion in the January window - it is to plug gaps. There are no nuggets available in January.

We will not be promoted this season but we could go down - priority one is survival.

We survive and then the test will come in the summer to answer the questions about how serious the new owners are to maximise their investment. You do not spend £30-40-50 whatever million to buy a club and commit £15 million to getting a Cat 1 academy just to tread water in the Championship.
    Good post and I agree 100%. The concern on face value is what plug Kean gaps? We are not lacking a half decent defender, we are lacking midfield numbers and a quality CB. But he could surprise us again, hopefully he comes eager to get his career back on track. 
     Lose Lockyer or Pearce and we are in serious trouble. Not beyond the realms of possibility considering the amount of games they've played and our luck.

I'd say a CB is as much a priority as anywhere else
    You can argue about whether they are good enough at this level, but we are well covered in that position, with Sarr and Oshilaja, and Pratley who can also play there. I'm not sure any teams needs more than 4 (+ Pratley) CBs unless they are intending to play 3 at the back all the time.

Kean sounds like a promising footballer, I could see him at LB or in midfield, I'm not sure I would have someone so inexperienced against Mitrovic, Fletcher or Matt Smith though, none of those Oldham fans mentioned aerial ability for example.
  • In Gallen and Bowyer we trust.
    They haven't steered us wrong yet
    No reason to think they are going to now.
    Keep the Faith
  • Scoham said:
    Was it Chris Wilder that signed Kean Bryan for Sheffield Utd ? If it was then he’s a pretty good manager who must have seen something about him. 
    He wasn't good enough last year in this division.

They had a settled team with several players making 40+ league appearances. Their squad was pretty big as well. No way of telling how we'd have coped as he never got a run of games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_Sheffield_United_F.C._season#Statistics
  • Sage said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Sun reporting that Connor is set to be recalled and go to Norwich 
    Can keep reporting what they like, same as Daily Mail who keep reporting nonsense. Conor is staying here.
    Its frustrating when they both keep sprouting the same old nonsense!!!
  • bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    scruffle said:
    We're just going to get a few bodies in to sure up the ship and hopefully get us safe, just, this season. I still think ppl will be disappointed even in the summer though. Early indications we'll still be shopping for out of contract / free transfers. Hopefully a step above our previous frees but free transfers none the less. 

why then have ESI spent a bund,e on the club, if that's the casse?
    You don't build a squad to challenge for promotion in the January window - it is to plug gaps. There are no nuggets available in January.

We will not be promoted this season but we could go down - priority one is survival.

We survive and then the test will come in the summer to answer the questions about how serious the new owners are to maximise their investment. You do not spend £30-40-50 whatever million to buy a club and commit £15 million to getting a Cat 1 academy just to tread water in the Championship.
    KAG was a nugget last January.  Taylor likely will be this January.  Williams for us also a nugget last January.  They are about, they usually have 6 months left on their contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's a nugget!?!?!
  • Good to see you've learnt Kiwi 😂
  • Seems most teams have quiet Jan windows, surely no one has the constant clusterfuck of one we do if we lose Gallagher
  • mendonca said:
    What's a nugget!?!?!
    One of these which I play for every Sunday morning 😉

• Macronate said:
    Macronate said:
    Wayne’s brother.
    Who's  Wayne Tooney?
    Runs Grove Park Tea Hut.
    Know it well mate ; )
  • The optimist in me saw Chelsea trying to sign Gelson Fernandes from Benfica on an 18 month loan deal and I hoped that the rumour that Conor was going to stay on loan until the summer of 2021 might be true! 🙈🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏
  • Can’t see any prem club needing Gallagher at the moment. 
    Chelsea also want him playing.
    Seems they trust us with their little gem.

• mart77 said:
    The optimist in me saw Chelsea trying to sign Gelson Fernandes from Benfica on an 18 month loan deal and I hoped that the rumour that Conor was going to stay on loan until the summer of 2021 might be true! 🙈🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏
    He probably will stay out on loan what with their transfer embargo being lifted, but absolutely no chance of it being us.