Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    I think Green is more a replacement for Kayal and blackpool guy a replacement for leko (not in terms of exact positions but in terms of midfielders/strikers. That would still mean needing a proper replacement for LT if he goes - simple.
    Green isn't a replacement for Kayal, definitely Leko. Blackpool striker will either be an extra body or a replacement for Lyle. If Taylor and Leko depart and we sign two, they have been replaced. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I reckon one announced today 
    Blackpool Striker Today, Barnsley signing middle of next week. 

Maybe loan CB/LB and that will be it imo 
    Think if Taylor goes we will get another striker 
    Not sure. The Blackpool guy, Bonne, Hemed, Aneke and Green might be enough. 

At the minute, if we sign Gnanduillet, he'd be our only fit senior striker...
    Davison and Green. 

Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

Green is NOT a striker, as everybody keeps saying, he's a winger
    So we have bought him to play on the wing then have we? Or (like Bowyer has said) has he been brought in to replace Leko?

I wouldn't have called Leko a striker either

If he's here to replace Leko's goals, he needs to double his whole career's tally...
    I agree, but we played Leko as a striker. Yes Green is a winger by trade but we are not going to play him as a winger so we have to count him as one of our strikers. 

Yes he would have to double his tally, but how many had Leko scored before he came to us?

Hence my point that we need a striker, as we keep filling the gap with people who either aren't senior members, or aren't strikers...
    I do agree, but he's been signed to play as a striker. On the day we signed him I raised the point that I would have preferred an out and out striker. 
  • The problem is, if we lose Taylor and Gallagher it is unlikely that we will replace them with anybody of the same quality at this stage of the season. This means that even if  Cullen and Williams were fit again we would be weaker than we were at the end of August.

A striker and an attacking midfielder are the minimum we need just to get anywhere near a squad that can survive.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

So we have bought him to play on the wing then have we? Or (like Bowyer has said) has he been brought in to replace Leko?

If he's here to replace Leko's goals, he needs to double his whole career's tally...
    I agree, but we played Leko as a striker. Yes Green is a winger by trade but we are not going to play him as a winger so we have to count him as one of our strikers. 

Yes he would have to double his tally, but how many had Leko scored before he came to us?

Hence my point that we need a striker, as we keep filling the gap with people who either aren't senior members, or aren't strikers...
    I do agree, but he's been signed to play as a striker. On the day we signed him I raised the point that I would have preferred an out and out striker. 

I don't get what you're arguing then?

You agree that we have no fit senior STRIKER in our team (only no-natural repalcements or youth team members)?
  • Southbank said:
    The problem is, if we lose Taylor and Gallagher it is unlikely that we will replace them with anybody of the same quality at this stage of the season. This means that even if  Cullen and Williams were fit again we would be weaker than we were at the end of August.

A striker and an attacking midfielder are the minimum we need just to get anywhere near a squad that can survive.
    I don't think we will lose Gallagher. But the point is valid about quality. The issue is that we have quality v quantity. Like with the strikers having 4 strikers is fine, but when one of them is a winger and one is Hemed than it puts massive pressure on someone like Bonne. Probably the reason we simply cannot afford to lose Taylor this window. 
  • Now, a crosser of the ball at the valley would be a thing of beauty to watch.

Cause to be frank

We're fckin shit at it
    Yup. Our wing backs are rubbish at it. The double irony Is that our best crosser from the wing is Lyle who should be in the middle to get in the end of them. 
    I am going to sound like an old fart but I remember saying to my wife at a recent game that they should have Keith Peacock and Paddy Powell run a couple of training sessions on how to cross the ball.

• Openly calling out the chairman - This isn't good. 

• Doesn’t sound like Bowyers MO to me. He didn’t even press hard for a contract under the Belgian idiot. If there is truth in this then perhaps the dynamic between Lee and Matt might not be quite as positive as we first thought and hoped.

• MS wanting to sort his contract AFTER the window, perhaps this is the “strange thing” Bowyer was talking about when the takeover first emerged.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:
    We have enough defenders but not enough quality IMO. Pearce is a good leader by example and always gives his all but unfortunately a penalty waiting to happen. And the QPR lad tore him a new one when setting up their second when he was trying to grapple instead of tackle. Nabby has his pros and cons but those cons can be very costly and have been.

Yes defending starts from the front and some people are saying it'll all be ok when we get an experienced midfield back. Maybe, however what I do know is that we need to start keeping clean sheets asap and I say again signing an experienced CB at this level will be key to this if we are to start climbing the table.

Don't concede and not only do you not lose but you stand a better chance of winning 😉.
    I don’t agree. The defense was OK before the injuries in midfield and we have cover.
    We do not have any experienced strikers at the moment and none due back any day soon. You must score to win a game. If there are only two more to come in then a striker and a defensive midfield is what I think we need.
    At the moment we have to score 3 on average to win a game! I'd rather win 1-0 so we'll have to beg to differ. Bryan can play DM btw which still leaves room for a striker as I see Green as a replacement for Leko.
    At the moment opposition midfielders and full backs are running past our midfield. No defense can hold out for ever in those circumstances and is why I believe Cullen is the player we have missed the most. Pace up front keeps the defense back at home and creates a bit of space for your attacking midfield.
    All about opinions, but I bet a whole shinny shilling that if Bows signs just 3 players that he says he wants, it will not include a center half.
    We have Green. I expect a striker and a defensive midfielder.
    If we sign more than 3 I still bet that we don’t bring in a center half.
    I hear what you say but the stats don't lie we have averaged 1.8 goals against  per game since the beginning of October when all of our first choice midfielders were playing. That can't be allowed to continue much longer or else we'll be revisiting the likes of Accrington and Rochdale next season. With a bit more quality at the back and a regular pairing of Lockyer and A N Other it'll give us the best fighting chance of survival along with another striker for sure even if Taylor stays and midfielder?

Cullen, Williams and hopefully Field are nearing a return but we can't rely on on them not breaking down so yes maybe another midfielder. Provided we play a flat back four we can get by with the current full back options but Bowyer is not blind, he can see the weaknesses in the centre of our defence especially aeriallly since Bauer left so let's see how out it plays out and a shinny shilling I can afford 😉.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

I don't get what you're arguing then?

You agree that we have no fit senior STRIKER in our team (only no-natural repalcements or youth team members)?
    Not arguing, you seem to be the one getting aggressive with your capital letters ;)

I am saying I don't think we are going to have 6-7 strikers in our squad who can up top. Yes Green is a winger but he has been signed as a striker, so he has to be included in that number, didn't think it was that difficult to understand to be honest. 

• Good. Get it sorted. He wants to stay, they want him to stay, we want him to stay. Can’t be that difficult.
  • Bowyer being smart with this IMO. Calling Southall's bluff. Nice increase paycheck coming
  • New thread for this already.
  • Atleast it's a ready made excuse why there will be no signings before the weekend........ 
  • @AFKABartram can we have a bitesize January rumours thread where we only have believable rumours from genuine sources?

It would save me reading  twitter rumours from accounts with a couple of followers & "my next door neighbours best friends cat is mate's with player X and he's told him he's signing for us"
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

Yes - Davison is definitely a striker and he is fit and IMO has improved with each game he has played.  Bit raw - but getting there and shows real desire.

• Sponsored links:

• Rich Cawley has just advised he wont be on twitter or working for a little while as has lost his Dad to prostate cancer
  • @AFKABartram can we have a bitesize January rumours thread where we only have believable rumours from genuine sources?

It would save me reading  twitter rumours from accounts with a couple of followers & "my next door neighbours best friends cat is mate's with player X and he's told him he's signing for us"
    Are their actually any of them?

• cafc-west said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

Yes - Davison is definitely a striker and he is fit and IMO has improved with each game he has played.  Bit raw - but getting there and shows real desire.

No where near Champ standard ATM and should not be considered a senior member of the team.
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:

Noise coming out of Blackpool suggests that we won't match their valuation and that we will more than likely move onto other targets. His contract is up in the summer, so their increased valuation from the £325k offered in the summer before the original move broke down, seems unreasonable.
  • cafc-west said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

No where near Champ standard ATM and should not be considered a senior member of the team.
  • CH4RLTON said:

Noise coming out of Blackpool suggests that we won't match their valuation and that we will more than likely move onto other targets. His contract is up in the summer, so their increased valuation from the £325k offered in the summer before the original move broke down, seems unreasonable.
    Good, I think we can get better.
  • edited January 2020
    Blackpool Striker deal has fallen through

Source: Blackpool Gazette
  • Oh but I thought we had loads of money and Matt's statement was just a smokescreen for the spendathon that was about to occur.....................