Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Very loose rumour as we're not mentioned but Sky are reporting that Wigan are happy to let Devante Cole leave this window

Out of Contract in the summer; Hull and Luton are the two clubs that are named
    Again FA, if he isn't deemed good enough for a struggling team like Wigan, why is he good enough for Us ? I know he has great DNA but so does James Seed of this parish but he's not always in the Right place either.
    (Jimmy sounds a nice guy by all accounts)

A club doesnt represent how good a player is though

Else West Brom fans could be asking the same about why they're going after a Charlton striker with their team in 19th

A good number of the signings that made up the League One winning team were signed from clubs beneath us, bet a lot of people questioned why we were going after Matt Taylor or Dale Stephens (I certainly thought that Dale being from Oldham would be nothing more than a fringe player to your likes of Mikel Alonso)

Same with Alex Mowatt, or Gnanduillet (If the move were back on) I'd just hope that the Management / Scouting team have done enough of a job to see the attributes that can improve us

After all as we proved with Michael Morrison when we signed him from Sheffield Wednesday, one club might not care but doesnt mean that the same player is going to be a failure at his new team
  • One's salary expectations would dwarf what we would pay and he seems a player happy to pick up the cash for little to no effort and missing the work ethic.  Massive no on him.
  • I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.

can't afford them to be write offs, lose both and with no game the following week we are likely to then play Barnsley with us in the bottom three and them above us ….
  • Very loose rumour as we're not mentioned but Sky are reporting that Wigan are happy to let Devante Cole leave this window

Again FA, if he isn't deemed good enough for a struggling team like Wigan, why is he good enough for Us ? I know he has great DNA but so does James Seed of this parish but he's not always in the Right place either.

Else West Brom fans could be asking the same about why they're going after a Charlton striker with their team in 19th

A good number of the signings that made up the League One winning team were signed from clubs beneath us, bet a lot of people questioned why we were going after Matt Taylor or Dale Stephens (I certainly thought that Dale being from Oldham would be nothing more than a fringe player to your likes of Mikel Alonso)

Same with Alex Mowatt, or Gnanduillet (If the move were back on) I'd just hope that the Management / Scouting team have done enough of a job to see the attributes that can improve us

After all as we proved with Michael Morrison when we signed him from Sheffield Wednesday, one club might not care but doesnt mean that the same player is going to be a failure at his new team
    Coles League record isnt great tho, other than that one season with Fleetwood were he just got over a 1 in 3 average lol he has been pretty poor.

• I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.

can't afford them to be write offs, lose both and with no game the following week we are likely to then play Barnsley with us in the bottom three and them above us ….
    Fixtures are decimated that weekend we dont play because of the FA Cup

Only two games being played on the Saturday in the League (Stoke v Swansea being one of them)

Oddly though unlike Charlton it looks like others have been re-arranged as Barnsley are at home against Preston the Tuesday after the latter play us

Is quite frustrating actually as looking at the fixture list between now and the end of the month there is only one game we should really be fearful of which is Barnsley v Huddersfield (this Saturday), every other fixture is pretty much top half v bottom half so hopefully everything goes to form
  • RedChaser said:
    I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.
    Cheers for that, bought my Preston ticket yesterday 😉.
    😂 I went to the Hull 6-0 knowing full well what we were in for, just smash back as many pints as poss that’s my secret.
    Same here, in some ways it's quite cathartic going to a game when you know you're going to get stuffed, it takes the tension away!

Hull (as a place) was nicer than I expected too
  • RedChaser said:
    I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.
    😂 I went to the Hull 6-0 knowing full well what we were in for, just smash back as many pints as poss that’s my secret.
    Me too mate and Huddersfield 0-5 in the same week, only positive was I never went to the Colchester cup debacle the previous Saturday.

Fixtures are decimated that weekend we dont play because of the FA Cup

Only two games being played on the Saturday in the League (Stoke v Swansea being one of them)

Oddly though unlike Charlton it looks like others have been re-arranged as Barnsley are at home against Preston the Tuesday after the latter play us

Is quite frustrating actually as looking at the fixture list between now and the end of the month there is only one game we should really be fearful of which is Barnsley v Huddersfield (this Saturday), every other fixture is pretty much top half v bottom half so hopefully everything goes to form
    Hopefully Preston will rest a few players against us and concentrate on stuffing Barnsley!
  • Just out of interest who do we think is pushing these offers and negotiations for players?

Got a feeling Bowyer and possibly Gallens heads are not quite in the game due to the contract delay.
  • Sponsored links:

Agreed.

Problem is we can’t keep writing games off, waiting for and assuming players will come back in time, not getting deals over the line.

there is a very real chance we can go down which would be catastrophic - action is needed and it’s needed now 
  • A worrying trend at the moment as there's no sign of cafc spending on a tested Championship player or even on Toney or even Tammy Abraham's doppelganger at lowly Blackpool.
    Stay chill say the optimists but a dangerous game if you don't pay the going rate. 
    Still a very difficult job that Steve Gallen has, even more difficult if he has to find a replacement for Taylor on a league 1 wage? 
    I know what you mean. It would be reassuring to sign a player and think, 'That wouldn't have happened under RD'. Maybe that won't happen until the summer. 
    Agreed.

Problem is we can’t keep writing games off, waiting for and assuming players will come back in time, not getting deals over the line.

there is a very real chance we can go down which would be catastrophic - action is needed and it’s needed now 

Yep, it's all well and good saying we're not getting smashed like we should be each week, and only losing games by a goal, but we need to start picking up points desperately.
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Me too mate and Huddersfield 0-5 in the same week, only positive was I never went to the Colchester cup debacle the previous Saturday.
    11 goals conceded in 2 games  :#

Thankfully I missed Huddersfield, but did Colchester and Hull. 'appy days...
  • cafc-west said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I reckon one announced today 
    Blackpool Striker Today, Barnsley signing middle of next week. 

Maybe loan CB/LB and that will be it imo 
    Think if Taylor goes we will get another striker 
    Not sure. The Blackpool guy, Bonne, Hemed, Aneke and Green might be enough. 

At the minute, if we sign Gnanduillet, he'd be our only fit senior striker...
    Davison and Green. 
    Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

Green is NOT a striker, as everybody keeps saying, he's a winger
    Yes - Davison is definitely a striker and he is fit and IMO has improved with each game he has played.  Bit raw - but getting there and shows real desire.

If we had a full strength team, I doubt many people would have even heard of Davison, never alone call him a senior member of the team
    Now call me a miserable old got off you like but although your username was registered a long time ago you’ve only just starting posting heavily, what’s changed?

Agree on many positions, but not striker.
    The only doubt about Bonne was could he score goals at Cafc like at Orient; and despite being a loan striker(on his own) other than 45 minutes with Lyle, he has passed with flying colours. Wigan are letting him go, totally different scenario.
    Yann isn't a good example because we were going well and already had 2 strikers so he came in as the 3rd striker before we realized how good he was. 
  • If Gnanduillet has fallen through and goalshy Devante Cole is suggested, it is probably time to resurect my call for Nadir Ciftci. 1 in 3 in Scottish and Turkish Premiership, playing wide rather than a striker. (Ducks).
  • edited January 2020
    Brinkmanship by both parties perhaps. Blackpool trying it on knowing our striker situation and Charlton pushing back with we’ll move on to other targets. Wouldn’t say the deal is dead in the water yet. 
    Classic negotiating ' MIL' tactics. Blackpool Must get £325k Intend to get £410k but would Like to get £500k............I now expect one if the usual suspects to stick a on the MIL 😉.
  • edited January 2020
    cafc-west said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I reckon one announced today 
    Blackpool Striker Today, Barnsley signing middle of next week. 

Maybe loan CB/LB and that will be it imo 
    Think if Taylor goes we will get another striker 
    Not sure. The Blackpool guy, Bonne, Hemed, Aneke and Green might be enough. 

At the minute, if we sign Gnanduillet, he'd be our only fit senior striker...
    Davison and Green. 
    Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

Green is NOT a striker, as everybody keeps saying, he's a winger
    Yes - Davison is definitely a striker and he is fit and IMO has improved with each game he has played.  Bit raw - but getting there and shows real desire.

If we had a full strength team, I doubt many people would have even heard of Davison, never alone call him a senior member of the team
    Now call me a miserable old got off you like but although your username was registered a long time ago you’ve only just starting posting heavily, what’s changed?

Yeah, I've been a lurker for years, I'm not sure what's making me start to post tbh, just want to be involved!

I did spend a lot of that logged out as well...

Any reason to ask?
  • Sage said:
    Not bothered and glad we can now move onto other targets. Yes he has scored goals this season, but we agreed £325k in the summer and now with 6 months left on his contract, they want upwards of £500k. No you’re alright, he wouldn’t even be on that much in the sense of paying the rest of his contract to Blackpool.

There are better players out there and as said the other day, I don’t think he would cut it in this league. I’d much prefer us to focus on getting others in than wasting time on this. 
    In July he hadnt scored 15 goals. He now has & therefore his stock is rising. Not hard to understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gedson Fernandes deal to West Ham on 18 month loan agreed in principle....could this bring us closer to potentially signing Cullen permanently. I think the owners have made it clear they won’t throw silly money about but have some money for the right players and right fit which Cullen I believe is with age and salary expectance. I still expect a loan and poss perm to boost squad that may be only whelmed buy but then a Cullen signing to show there intent and building the club up in the right way again. 
  • Terminology for attackers is a bit confusing now most teams don't play pure 442.

Indeed Fantasy Football shows this as Sterling, Salah, Mane, Richarlison and Son are all classified as midfielders, despite being attacking players who score lots of goals.

Yeah fair point. But you have to look at the way them teams play, all with one CF/STR and formations such as 4231 or 433. We have only played like that on a few occasions with Bowyer. 

Given this, it's hard to see Green playing anywhere other than as a striker. 
    Given that Green himself said he was a winger and has not played as a striker before, it seems a bit daft to play him as an out & out striker. More round pegs in square holes I presume.
  • I still think Sam Baldock would be a great signing and Andy King from Leicester, 
  • Gedson Fernandes deal to West Ham on 18 month loan agreed in principle....could this bring us closer to potentially signing Cullen permanently. I think the owners have made it clear they won’t throw silly money about but have some money for the right players and right fit which Cullen I believe is with age and salary expectance. I still expect a loan and poss perm to boost squad that may be only whelmed buy but then a Cullen signing to show there intent and building the club up in the right way again. 
    West Ham are also after Joe Allen from Stoke. If they get both, even better news for us, I reckon 
  • Mental if they sign Allen and sell Cullen. One had his best form years ago and another is progressing nicely. 
  • Emile Smith Rowe is joining Huddersfield on loan from Arsenal, thought maybe we'd have gone for him before we signed Green.
  • Mental if they sign Allen and sell Cullen. One had his best form years ago and another is progressing nicely. 
    That is West Ham all over they love a has been.  I’d have Cullen any day of the week over Allen.
  • There must a be a shed load of players across Europe on the fringes of their national squads who want a chance to impress before next summer. I thought I read that’s why Matthews came to us and I think back to a player who in normal circumstances we had no right to sign but who had fallen out with his club manager and needed game time to seal his place in the Portuguese team for the 2002 World Cup.
  • You lot love a moan, remember in the summer all that panic...we signed several players last minute and most weren't rumoured. While the window is open there is a lot of shite posted here and everywhere without substance. Just wait and see what happens, I am sure things are happening behind the scenes and in most cases they wont want to show their hand.. whether this be marquee signings or a few people through the door to do the job.

I genuinely open this thread for actual rumours/ hear'say, in most cases its just bickering from the same people and negative stuff. I know I should just breathe /ignore but I felt the need to say.

• A worrying trend at the moment as there's no sign of cafc spending on a tested Championship player or even on Toney or even Tammy Abraham's doppelganger at lowly Blackpool.
    Stay chill say the optimists but a dangerous game if you don't pay the going rate. 
    Still a very difficult job that Steve Gallen has, even more difficult if he has to find a replacement for Taylor on a league 1 wage? 
    How long does early days last ? Wasn't expecting millions to be spent but was hoping for experienced championship quality.