Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:
    Hope so, he's fckn dreadful!
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I reckon one announced today 
    Blackpool Striker Today, Barnsley signing middle of next week. 

Maybe loan CB/LB and that will be it imo 
    Think if Taylor goes we will get another striker 
    Not sure. The Blackpool guy, Bonne, Hemed, Aneke and Green might be enough. 
    You mean the "hasn't done anything at Championship level" guy, the "out injured for a while" guy, the "out injured and has done bugger all when fit" guy, the "out injured and done very little when fit" guy, and the "not actually a forward" guy?
  • no chance against Watford and Palarse
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

You mean the "hasn't done anything at Championship level" guy, the "out injured for a while" guy, the "out injured and has done bugger all when fit" guy, the "out injured and done very little when fit" guy, and the "not actually a forward" guy?
    FFS I said in terms of numbers, I never said it was in terms of quality. Fucking half our squad is out injured so that could bloody apply to any position. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

FFS I said in terms of numbers, I never said it was in terms of quality. Fucking half our squad is out injured so that could bloody apply to any position. 
    And of your numbers, only one's a striker who's fit to play and he ain't even here it.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

And of your numbers, only one's a striker who's fit to play and he ain't even here it.
    Yes but obviously we are not talking about today. Unless we sign someone ASAP the position can't be changed can it. But going forward I find it hard to believe are going to have 6 strikers, don't you?
  • Sure, we apparently can't afford a Blackpool striker but we'll be going in for a player who cost £15m and has been at Premier League teams for the past seven years.
  • Sure, we apparently can't afford a Blackpool striker but we'll be going in for a player who cost £15m and has been at Premier League teams for the past seven years.
    Is why I question if Bowyer / ESI have their value of players and wont be held to ransom - Of course if we go for Ibe its only going to be on loan surely
  • Sponsored links:

• True, but if we're not willing to pay £500k for an in-form striker then I'm not sure we'll be looking to go in for a player who originally cost 30 times that and is on £38,000 a week. Bournemouth would have to be very bloody grateful for us giving them those extra seats a few years ago to cut the price down to a point where we would be looking at him seriously
  • I think what we need in order of priority is:

- Striker to replace Taylor.
    - midfielder in the Cullen mould. One who can keep us ticking over we've lost Kayal so have a gap here. Mowatt?
    - Striker 2 extra body to alow for injuries and allow us to use Green in a different way 
    - Creative x factor midfielder. Someone like Maddison who if the opportunity to sign came up it would be stupid not to pursue.
    - Utility defender like the Shef United guy.
  • Very loose rumour as we're not mentioned but Sky are reporting that Wigan are happy to let Devante Cole leave this window

Out of Contract in the summer; Hull and Luton are the two clubs that are named
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Yes but obviously we are not talking about today. Unless we sign someone ASAP the position can't be changed can it. But going forward I find it hard to believe are going to have 6 strikers, don't you?
    In your list, there are only two strikers currently at the club, Bonne and Hemed.  Bowyer's said Aneke isn't a striker he's a 10, and Greene isn't a striker he's a replacement for Leko.  If we get Gnanduillet, that's three.  So if Taylor leaves, one more on top of Bonne, Hemed and Gnanduillet will make six?  For someone who talks about numbers, your maths is a bit off.
  • Brinkmanship by both parties perhaps. Blackpool trying it on knowing our striker situation and Charlton pushing back with we’ll move on to other targets. Wouldn’t say the deal is dead in the water yet. 
    My thoughts as well.  Also serves as a convenient marker to other clubs who might think we will pay whatever is asked.
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

In your list, there are only two strikers currently at the club, Bonne and Hemed.  Bowyer's said Aneke isn't a striker he's a 10, and Greene isn't a striker he's a replacement for Leko.  If we get Gnanduillet, that's three.  So if Taylor leaves, one more on top of Bonne, Hemed and Gnanduillet will make six?  For someone who talks about numbers, your maths is a bit off.
    Where are we going to play him then? Because Leko played as a striker 99% of the time. 

You can be rude if you want (I won't criticise your spelling of Green), but one on top of Bonne, Aneke, Hemed, Gnanduillet and Green does indeed make 6. Aneke isn't a striker but he can definitely play there. We have had 2 players for every position plus Aneke as the 23rd squad member. 

It's just my opinion that we won't have anymore than the above numbers. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Where are we going to play him then? Because Leko played as a striker 99% of the time. 

You can be rude if you want (I won't criticise your spelling of Green), but one on top of Bonne, Aneke, Hemed, Gnanduillet and Green does indeed make 6. Aneke isn't a striker but he can definitely play there. We have had 2 players for every position plus Aneke as the 23rd squad member. 

Would also question how we'll play if Green isnt here to do Leko's role - We've barely ever played with wingers under Bowyer... the only time we play that sort of tactic is when we use Wing Backs in a 3-5-2 which is an area I cant see Green playing

The only other option is we're getting someone else to play on the other flank (Maddison perhaps?) but then we dont have the depth to continue with the formation should we get injuries

Nor would it have made sense freezing out Fosu as that sort of formation would have suited him just fine
  • Terminology for attackers is a bit confusing now most teams don't play pure 442.

Indeed Fantasy Football shows this as Sterling, Salah, Mane, Richarlison and Son are all classified as midfielders, despite being attacking players who score lots of goals.

• CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Would also question how we'll play if Green isnt here to do Leko's role - We've barely ever played with wingers under Bowyer... the only time we play that sort of tactic is when we use Wing Backs in a 3-5-2 which is an area I cant see Green playing

The only other option is we're getting someone else to play on the other flank (Maddison perhaps?) but then we dont have the depth to continue with the formation should we get injuries

Nor would it have made sense freezing out Fosu as that sort of formation would have suited him just fine
    Exactly. I was actually critical of the signing of Green, not as a player but I don't understand why we have signed a winger to the play him up top. 

We could be changing formation which is fair enough. I am not reading too much into links with Ibe or Maddison but if we were to sign one of them or similar then I would imagine that could be the case. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.
  • If all of this is true regarding Gnanduillet, then I reckon Murray on loan would be the best immediate option (Glen....Not Richard). Experienced and probably be the right foil for Bonne/Greene
  • Terminology for attackers is a bit confusing now most teams don't play pure 442.

Indeed Fantasy Football shows this as Sterling, Salah, Mane, Richarlison and Son are all classified as midfielders, despite being attacking players who score lots of goals.

Yeah fair point. But you have to look at the way them teams play, all with one CF/STR and formations such as 4231 or 433. We have only played like that on a few occasions with Bowyer. 

Given this, it's hard to see Green playing anywhere other than as a striker. 
  • I think Saturday and maybe Preston is a write off, whatever way you look at it we have short term issues.  Unless a couple rabbits are pulled out the hat today.
    Cheers for that, bought my Preston ticket yesterday 😉.
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Exactly. I was actually critical of the signing of Green, not as a player but I don't understand why we have signed a winger to the play him up top. 

We could be changing formation which is fair enough. I am not reading too much into links with Ibe or Maddison but if we were to sign one of them or similar then I would imagine that could be the case. 
    Ibe is one that could probably play up top a bit like Green and Leko

Maddison is the one that confuses me most and is why I'd be surprised if we signed him over anyone else from Peterborough - He's primarily an old fashioned winger, isnt someone who can play up top, nor do I see him in the No.10 role

Only way I could see him playing is in the role that we've seen Doughty occupying at present

But then again your playing 3-5-2 which means you can only play three central midfielders - One of Cullen | Williams | Pratley | Gallagher would have to miss out (provided that all remain fit for the rest of the season)

Ultimately would Maddison be happy to join us knowing he's not going to be playing first choice in those conditions?
  • Very loose rumour as we're not mentioned but Sky are reporting that Wigan are happy to let Devante Cole leave this window

Again FA, if he isn't deemed good enough for a struggling team like Wigan, why is he good enough for Us ? I know he has great DNA but so does James Seed of this parish but he's not always in the Right place either.
    (Jimmy sounds a nice guy by all accounts)

Again FA, if he isn't deemed good enough for a struggling team like Wigan, why is he good enough for Us ? I know he has great DNA but so does James Seed of this parish but he's not always in the Right place either.

Fight, fight, fight...,,,,,,,,,,,,😉

Agreed, League 1 striker at best. Isn't setting the world alight north of the border. 
  • A worrying trend at the moment as there's no sign of cafc spending on a tested Championship player or even on Toney or even Tammy Abraham's doppelganger at lowly Blackpool.
    Stay chill say the optimists but a dangerous game if you don't pay the going rate. 
    Still a very difficult job that Steve Gallen has, even more difficult if he has to find a replacement for Taylor on a league 1 wage?