Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• The Posh chairman has said buying that Barnet player has nothing to do with Maddison, also I think he was bought for 6 figures with add ons, not sure how much.

Worth nothing though that he has already accepted Maddison is gone one way or another so they would definitely accept his buyout I would say, he thinks money that bloke.

With Maddison and the buyout it's a dodgy one, paying over 2 mill for a l1 player is a lot and probably not worth it if it doesn't pay off, but you do eliminate the other teams who will be in for him looking to take a punt so to speak when he's a free in the summer. I think with how consistent he has been the past 4 or so seasons and the interest he will gain it is worth the fee. 
    They don’t have a choice...
    Sorry bit of a brain fart there, with the amount I hammer fm and career mode I obviously know that haha. Guess I meant they may even listen to lower offers than his release, Dmac doesn't strike me as the type to lose money on a player if no other clubs are willing to stump up 

Yeah fair point, 1.5mil could test his resolve I guess. 
  • a few rumours about 5 pages ago which has resulted in the usual childish bickering and pissing competitions. #Only on Charlton life
    I'm guessing you don't use any other websites?
  • I reckon one announced today 
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    I reckon one announced today 
    Blackpool Striker Today, Barnsley signing middle of next week. 

Maybe loan CB/LB and that will be it imo 
  • Now, a crosser of the ball at the valley would be a thing of beauty to watch.

Cause to be frank

We're fckin shit at it
    Yup. Our wing backs are rubbish at it. The double irony Is that our best crosser from the wing is Lyle who should be in the middle to get in the end of them. 
  • CH4RLTON said:

Think if Taylor goes we will get another striker 
  • Cullen can definitely cross a ball, but just not from the treatment room.

Anyway, the closer it gets to Saturday, the more I'm warming towards the Blackpool lad. Long term, i don't see him as the solution to scoring goals at Championship Level, but needs must at the moment.
  • RedChaser said:
    Redrobo said:
    RedChaser said:
    We have enough defenders but not enough quality IMO. Pearce is a good leader by example and always gives his all but unfortunately a penalty waiting to happen. And the QPR lad tore him a new one when setting up their second when he was trying to grapple instead of tackle. Nabby has his pros and cons but those cons can be very costly and have been.

Yes defending starts from the front and some people are saying it'll all be ok when we get an experienced midfield back. Maybe, however what I do know is that we need to start keeping clean sheets asap and I say again signing an experienced CB at this level will be key to this if we are to start climbing the table.

Don't concede and not only do you not lose but you stand a better chance of winning 😉.
    I don’t agree. The defense was OK before the injuries in midfield and we have cover.
    We do not have any experienced strikers at the moment and none due back any day soon. You must score to win a game. If there are only two more to come in then a striker and a defensive midfield is what I think we need.
    At the moment we have to score 3 on average to win a game! I'd rather win 1-0 so we'll have to beg to differ. Bryan can play DM btw which still leaves room for a striker as I see Green as a replacement for Leko.
    At the moment opposition midfielders and full backs are running past our midfield. No defense can hold out for ever in those circumstances and is why I believe Cullen is the player we have missed the most. Pace up front keeps the defense back at home and creates a bit of space for your attacking midfield.
    All about opinions, but I bet a whole shinny shilling that if Bows signs just 3 players that he says he wants, it will not include a center half.
    We have Green. I expect a striker and a defensive midfielder.
    If we sign more than 3 I still bet that we don’t bring in a center half.
  • CH4RLTON said:

This would do for me Matt and should be enough with the returnees to get us up to mid table safety 👍.

Anyway, the closer it gets to Saturday, the more I'm warming towards the Blackpool lad. Long term, i don't see him as the solution to scoring goals at Championship Level, but needs must at the moment.
    you know yourself though G crossing is  a full backs bread and butter, amazes me how crap they are at this element of their roll on pitch.

Cullen can cross a ball yes but how many times do you want to see your CM on the wing in case play breaks down.
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon we'll get two in today.

If we don't hear about any signings today, Twitter is going to be an even bigger cess pit than usual, what with the 12pm deadline for Saturday's game...

I am absolutely not worried, becuase I'm very much still of the opinion that 21st is a massive achievement
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Not sure. The Blackpool guy, Bonne, Hemed, Aneke and Green might be enough. 

you know yourself though G crossing is  a full backs bread and butter, amazes me how crap they are at this element of their roll on pitch.

Cullen can cross a ball yes but how many times do you want to see your CM on the wing in case play breaks down.
    Yeah a full backs main attacking responsibility is being able to get a decent ball in the box.

I meant Cullen more for set piece deliveries.
  • Whats your thoughts on the following strikers I think we should be looking at in this window ? -  Sam Baldock , Connor Wickham and Leigh Griffiths ( Celtic ) - I think all 3 would be decent for us. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

At the minute, if we sign Gnanduillet, he'd be our only fit senior striker...
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Aneke is a number 10 not a striker, LB himself said he cannot play as a striker. Green is a winger who we may decide to play through the middle a bit. If taylor goes we absolutely need another Striker and it should be one we spend a fair bit on imo, certainly at least what we get for Lyle.
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Aneke is a number 10 not a striker, LB himself said he cannot play as a striker. Green is a winger who we may decide to play through the middle a bit. If taylor goes we absolutely need another Striker and it should be one we spend a fair bit on imo, certainly at least what we get for Lyle.
    From what I have seen, Aneke cannot play at all...

But he can be used as a striker, if we are going 2 players for every position, he is 3rd choice "Number 10" and 5th choice striker. I doubt we will have more than 4 strikers with Aneke and Davison as cover. 

Green may well be a winger but we will be playing him upfront. The Blackpool guy is replacing Taylor IMO. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

In league one, maybe.  Championship, absolutely not.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Whats your thoughts on the following strikers I think we should be looking at in this window ? -  Sam Baldock , Connor Wickham and Leigh Griffiths ( Celtic ) - I think all 3 would be decent for us. 
    Wickham is needed at Palace, he would only leave if they sign 2 strikers. Don't think Griffiths can cut it at Champ Level. Unsure on Baldock although we liked him in the summer so wouldn't rule it out. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

In league one, maybe.  Championship, absolutely not.
    I agree in terms of quality, but not quantity. I would be surprised if we sign another one and end up with 6 first teamers who can play upfront. 
  • If we can’t afford Rhodes wages how we going to afford Wickhams or Murray. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

Green is NOT a striker, as everybody keeps saying, he's a winger
    So we have bought him to play on the wing then have we? Or (like Bowyer has said) has he been brought in to replace Leko?
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

Can you seriously say that Davison is a senior member of the team? He's been shoehorned in because of injuries

So we have bought him to play on the wing then have we? Or (like Bowyer has said) has he been brought in to replace Leko?

I wouldn't have called Leko a striker either

If he's here to replace Leko's goals, he needs to double his whole career's tally...
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

If he's here to replace Leko's goals, he needs to double his whole career's tally...
    I agree, but we played Leko as a striker. Yes Green is a winger by trade but we are not going to play him as a winger so we have to count him as one of our strikers. 

Yes he would have to double his tally, but how many had Leko scored before he came to us?
  • CH4RLTON said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Davison and Green. 

I agree, but we played Leko as a striker. Yes Green is a winger by trade but we are not going to play him as a winger so we have to count him as one of our strikers. 

Yes he would have to double his tally, but how many had Leko scored before he came to us?

Hence my point that we need a striker, as we keep filling the gap with people who either aren't senior members, or aren't strikers...
  • If LT goes and the blackpool guy is the only replacement there will be uproar and rightly so. ESI have said they needed to make sure they owned the club in January to ensure we stay up, if selling your best player and replacing with the blackpool guy is what they do then they would have been better off stearing clear until the summer.
  • I think Green is more a replacement for Kayal and blackpool guy a replacement for leko (not in terms of exact positions but in terms of midfielders/strikers. That would still mean needing a proper replacement for LT if he goes - simple.
  • edited January 2020
    I think Green is more a replacement for Kayal and blackpool guy a replacement for leko (not in terms of exact positions but in terms of midfielders/strikers. That would still mean needing a proper replacement for LT if he goes - simple.
    Green is Leko's replacement as Bowyers already alluded to that - Blackpool guy will effectively be an extra body compared to last season