Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• today's press states that the Blades 'will not stand in the way' of Kean Bryan joining CAFC .. no mention of loan or permanent
    Steve Gallen said at the press conference that they are hoping to bring in 3 permanents & so I imagine he is one of those.

He then said maybe one more on loan  
  • today's press states that the Blades 'will not stand in the way' of Kean Bryan joining CAFC .. no mention of loan or permanent
    central defender ? .. he's 6'1" .. too small in the middle for my liking and only ever played in the lower divisions 
  • el-pietro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    el-pietro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When was the last time we signed an experienced player from the 1st team of a club in the same divison as us, for a fee?

There are probably loads I have forgotten but I can only think of a couple in Powell's team Wiggins and BWP.  Before that it may have been Eddie Youds!

Even in the premier league we mainly bought players from the football league, abroad or players unwanted by bigger clubs.  I don't expect that to change any time soon. 
    Chris Powell from Derby for £825k in 1998

Wasn't in the team because of the formation Jim Smith was playing. 

Carl Tiler from Everton for £750k in 1998.

Wasn't in their first tea 

Eddie Youds from Bradford for £500k in 1998. Can't find exact details on his transfer date or fee so may have been from a division below or above. Did we sign him before or after promotion?

We signed him in the same divison. I already said him. 

Neal Redfearn from Bradford (just relegated as we were promoted) for £1m in 1998.

We signed him from Barnsley, sold him to Bradford, we crossed over. 

Graham Stuart from Sheffield United for £1.5m in 1999. Not sure on the fee here.

We were in the prem, they weren't. 

Andy Todd from Bolton for £1.3m in 1999. Not sure on the fee here.

Wasn't playing for Bolton because he clumped Phil Brown. 

Claus Jensen for£4m from Bolton in 2000. We had just been promoted from First Division to Premier Division, they finished 6th and were not promoted.

So not in the same divison. 

Luke Young from Spurs for £4m in 2001.

Wasn't playing, was behind Stephen Carr. 

Chris Perry from Spurs for £100k in 2003 - great deal that.

Wasn't playing for Spurs. Best £ for £ deal ever. 

Jerome Thomas from Arsenal for £100k in 2004.

Hardly a first team player. 

Franny Jeffers from Arsenal for £2.6M in 2004.

See above 

Danny Murphy from Liverpool for £2.5M in 2004.

See above

Darren Ambrose from Newcastle for £1.5m in 2005.

See above

Marcus Bent from Everton for £2.3m in 2006.

Maybe

Andy Reid from Spurs for £3m in 2006.

Again wasn't playing 

Amdy Faye from Newcastle for ~£2M in 2006 - can't find a solid number on this one.

Actually did play quite a lot so that's a maybe. 

Djimi Traoré from Liverpool for £2m in 2006.

Yup

Ben Thatcher from Manchester City for between £500k and £750k.

Yeap

Paddy McCarthy from Leicester for £650k in 2007.

Were we in the same divison, I honestly can't remember. 

Andy Gray from Burnley for £1.5m in 2008.

See above. 

Paul Benson from Dagenham and Redbridge for an undisclosed fee, likely around £200k in 2010, lik.
    Pawel Abbott from Oldham Athletic for £20k in 2010.
    Dale Stephens from Oldham Athetic for £350k in 2011.

If we were in the same divison fair enough. 

David Button from Spurs (division above) for £500k in 2012.
    El Hadji Ba from Sunderland (division above) for anundisclosed fee, likely around £400k in 2015.

That's really wasn't the question was it. 

Nicky Ajose from Swindon for £800k in 2016.
    Yup

So 26 players in about 30 years, at least half don't answer the question.  My point being we don't often do it and doing it is a massive statement of intent. 

Oh I forgot about Keith Jones. 
    You said first team, not first 11. Theres a difference, and your responses are arbitrary. Its also only going back to 1998, 22 (really 21.5) years, not 30.
    The only one of the players I named who couldn't be considered first team was Thomas who was basically an U23 or equivalent at the time.
    Anyway this was every player we signed from the same division (or higher) for a fee since we were first promoted to the Premier League in 1998.
    It isn't, it doesn't include Pearce, JFC, Page, Fosu, Clarke (who actually is an answer to the question).  If your including Redfern you could also include Purrington.

Anyway it's all by the by.  My point was we have hardly ever signed "a first team regular" for a fee, from a team in the same divison.  If we signed one in this window it would be a massive statement of intent, regardless of fee paid. 
    central defender ? .. he's 6'1" .. too small in the middle for my liking and only ever played in the lower divisions 
    How tall was Chris Perry? A lot of tall players can’t jump, Naby Sarr for example.
    every time height is mentioned it's 'what about Chris Perry'  .. he left us about 14 years ago, things have moved on .. do you watch much football ?.. have you seen the size/height of most contemporary central defenders ? .. there is room for 1 'small' one so long as he is alongside 1 'big' 1
  • Joe Gomez is only an inch taller at 6ft 2”
    Certainly versatile, but I would think left back. Oldham fans thought he was good in midfield but went missing up field when he should have been covering.
    Defensive midfield in our current predicament a possibility.
    Joe Gomez is only an inch taller at 6ft 2”

.. playing alongside V V Dijk who is 6'4" .. rather solidifies my point don't you think
  • Sponsored links:

• JANUARY 2020 TRANSFER RUMOURS ! FFS !
    we're discussing rumours, potential new players .. go back to sleep F F S
  • Redrobo said:
    today's press states that the Blades 'will not stand in the way' of Kean Bryan joining CAFC .. no mention of loan or permanent
    Certainly versatile, but I would think left back. Oldham fans thought he was good in midfield but went missing up field when he should have been covering.
    Defensive midfield in our current predicament a possibility.
    not if he 'goes missing' .. IF he comes, we will see
  •  The Sky reporter who was at the press conference today said he didn’t believe the Kean deal was going to happen now.

An inch can make all the difference Large, just ask your missus.
  • mart77 said:
     The Sky reporter who was at the press conference today said he didn’t believe the Kean deal was going to happen now.
    that probably clears that up then
  • edited January 2020
    Disgraceful that he didnt go with "Charlton are not as kean on a deal"

Shoddy reporting!!
  • edited January 2020
    Disgraceful that he didnt go with "Charlton are not as kean on a deal"

Shoddy reporting!!
    he'll stay 'kean' and sharp with the Blades .. reading that report it seems that the new regime are only looking at loans as a last resort .. and that is terrific news so far as I am concerned
  • mart77 said:
     The Sky reporter who was at the press conference today said he didn’t believe the Kean deal was going to happen now.
    Obviously not so kean to sign.
  • Sponsored links:

• On a serious note I wonder if thats the one Steve Gallen mentioned in the press conference today

Said that there was a deal going to happen a few days ago but for whatever reason dropped out
  • next rumour .. come on Mr Gallen gissus a clue
  • Disgraceful that he didnt go with "Charlton are not as kean on a deal"

Shoddy reporting!!
    he'll stay 'kean' and sharp with the Blades .. reading that report it seems that the new regime are only looking at loans as a last resort .. and that is terrific news so far as I am concerned
    It is BUT a couple of bodies now could make all the difference, even if it it's for the next six weeks. 
  • Chunes said:
    Bowyer said he drove out to meet a player the other day and it was made possible by Southall. Possibly after his coffee with Peterborough owner?
    That’s what I was thinking! 2.6 release clause but I reckon if the offer half of that then they’d probably bite 
  • edited January 2020
    As a stop gap i would get Leon Clarke back. 
    seriously .. we could do worse .. for a few weeks only though .. he's still better than a lot of names touted on here
  • I really hope it’s the Arsenal centre forward who was on loan at Leeds.
  • As a stop gap i would get Leon Clarke back. 
    seriously .. we could do worse .. for a few weeks only though .. he's still better than a lot of names touted on here
    Available too unlike a lot of other players