Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic 30th December 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Lost comfortably to an average team with 10 men. 

We're getting relegated this season 
    It was utterly dire.

If that was our team for the rest of the season we would get relegated.

It will not be our team for the rest of the season.

We are unlikely to get relegated unless this takeover fails to go through.
  • Options
    How was the goal the 'result' of his poor pass???? It got picked up in their right-back area! He went out to challenge the winger, and we defended the ensuing low cross and rebound atrociously
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    1StevieG said:
    Leuth said:
    1StevieG said:
    Another Naby Sarr mistake for their first goal and then defenders to walk about for the second. Piss poor all round against 10 men and bollocks to the excuse being tired they were up for it in the last 10 minutes. Solly was nowhere near at the races today sorry I don’t like digging out specific players.
    You clearly do. Sarr's pass was intercepted by their defender. Was the goal completely inevitable from then on? You make it out to be so
    Sarrs pass was nowhere near a man in a red shirt. Then he gets caught out of position and hey presto we are 1-0 down. Again. Against Millwall didn't jump cost us the game. Did it against QPR for their first goal. I reckon I could go back and dig out plenty of other occasions where he has cost is goals but I am too pissed off to think about it. It’s getting beyond a joke now.
    Sarr was going over as the left-back (where was Purrington???) to confront their winger who got his ball in. The rest was for the other defenders to deal with. Did they? Did they hell. It isn't 'beyond a joke' - Sarr has played pretty well the last few games (error vs QPR aside) and you're trying to make this a thing when it really isn't
    Listen, I think overall Sarr had a reasonable game tonight. He wasn't any worse than the others. But not to blame him for his pass that led to the first goal is ludicrous.

He had all the time in the world. He wasn't under any pressure. He could have passed to a teammate or just hoofed it forward and cleared the danger. He didn't do either of things. Instead, he passed it straight to a Derby player and the rest is history.

Ok maybe the other defenders/goalkeeper could have done better. But if Sarr hadn't of presented the ball to the Derby player in the first place they wouldn't have had to do better.
  • Options
    we might have had 4 youngsters on but an 18 year old scored 2 goals for Derby

Maybe but all our first team ready youngsters have long since been sold off on the cheap, I doubt Derby have had the same policy
  • Options
    Been to 8 away games this season and in EVERY one of them we’ve let in 2 goals, and nearly all of them preventable. 

It’s so frustrating as against a struggling team like Derby, 0-0 at half time and the crowd might have got restive. Instead we gift another soft goal and are then chasing the game.

Having seen Dempsey look anonymous for Dulwich vs Dartford I was amazed to see him come on tonight, but our squad is desperately stretched now. Even allowing for that, an unacceptable performance tonight 

Good atmosphere from the home fans, the best I’ve seen this season
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Leuth said:
    1StevieG said:
    Another Naby Sarr mistake for their first goal and then defenders to walk about for the second. Piss poor all round against 10 men and bollocks to the excuse being tired they were up for it in the last 10 minutes. Solly was nowhere near at the races today sorry I don’t like digging out specific players.
    You clearly do. Sarr's pass was intercepted by their defender. Was the goal completely inevitable from then on? You make it out to be so
    Sarrs pass was nowhere near a man in a red shirt. Then he gets caught out of position and hey presto we are 1-0 down. Again. Against Millwall didn't jump cost us the game. Did it against QPR for their first goal. I reckon I could go back and dig out plenty of other occasions where he has cost is goals but I am too pissed off to think about it. It’s getting beyond a joke now.
    I’m still gobsmacked the ball was played over to that side of the pitch. We had a free kick about 2 yards into our half. Solly was virtually standing next to Bowyer on the touch line when he took it. He passes it backwards, then it was passed across the back line until Sarr’s poor pass lost us possession. I understand we want to keep possession and long free kicks into the box are no longer fashionable until it gets to the 90th minute and you are a goal down. However, was there no one in front or to the side of Solly that he couldn’t have played the free kick to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any idea how long Bonne is out for?
  • Options
    "Poor in posession. No shots on target until the penalty. Crossing poor. Quality poor. Got what we deserved - nothing. Second to everything tonight. No excuses. Not good enough tonight."

Bowyer's comments, not mine.
    Even he's wrong we had at least 2 shots on target before the penalty.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Yet another game we lost by one goal, and yet another game one of those goals we condeded was from a terrible bit of basic defending.

But yeah injuries. 
    So you think Doughty | Dempsey | Davison | Morgan | Vennings would all be involved with the First Team if it werent for injuries?

Yeah, okay!!
    What's that got to do with us conceding another poor goal, from another poor bit of defending fundamentals?

Go back and look at the highlights of our last 5 to 10 games. We have have drawn or lost most of them apart from Sheffield Wednesday by only one goal. I'm not having that convenient excuse about injuries being the reason we are conceding those poor goals.

Our defense has been what has been poor for us for a long while now, and they have been the fit blokes. 
    But who protects the Defence? - The Midfield!!... Who are in the Midfield?

Only experienced player you can rely on from that area is Pratley who hasnt put a foot wrong

Derby second goal comes from the Defence getting it out of the penalty spot and then the inexperienced midfielder (Morgan) not clearing the ball further from danger - Ball is being kicked anywhere because we dont have the Midfielders to carry the ball to safety and so create an attack of our own!!... If we had Williams or Cullen on the pitch then the ball is brought down and a long ball is sent for Taylor to run on to
    Once again. Go back, look at some of the goals we have conceded, and look at how many have been from a duff clearance, or a poor pass, or a player not jumping or making a simple block. That's not down to the midfield, the down to the defender not doing the fundamentals correctly. 

I'm not having a go at LB's management, or the players effort. In fact I think we are doing incredibly well as we are competing in each and every game which is testament to them.

I am however starting to get annoyed at people simply just blaming injuries or knackered players to cover up for mistakes that I personally don't think we should be making. 

But this is the point I'm trying to make, would we be rushing our clearances if we had the likes of Williams | Cullen | Field in midfield

Or would it be a short pass to release them seeing that we've played on the counter so much under Bowyer

I'd agree with you when goals like the first conceded tonight, but I think we'd be making less poor passes from defence - Experienced players, even in midfield know even if a pass is going to fall short, will be able to react to that... the opposition on the other hand are benefiting - I just hope I can be proven right when we start getting everyone back as I fully believe that the mistakes will start to disappear, at the moment though I struggle to see that happening as when one player returns, another is gone!!
    Look don't get me wrong, with our fully fit first team back (especially Cullen) we would control game more and thus the opposition we create less attacking chances.

However even with those players out, there's not really been a game I would say I thought we were completely out of a depth and didn't look like we belonged. And that's down to the way Bowyer has us set up and how the players work for each other and run themselves into the ground.

However now even with our weaker team I wouldn't say defenders are rushing clearances. In fact it's quiet the opposite we often try to be to cute with the ball instead of being direct or smashing the ball out of play and it's costing us. 
  • Options
    Let's look at the positives: 1. It was nice seeing a match with both teams opting to wear their traditional first choice colours. 2. No-one can blame the ref. 3. Err, that's it, there is no three. :neutral:
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think Bowyer is overworking the lads in the fitness sessions as they're tiring in games and he's trying to up their stamina.

He's missing a key thing, they need a recovery before games, not just after. 

Should probably look something like this:

For weeks with only Sat fixtures
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - Drills
    Tuesday - Fitness & Drills
    Wednesday - Fitness & Drills
    Thursday - Drills
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Game
    For weeks with midweek fixtures
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - Drills
    Tuesday - Drills
    Wednesday - Game
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Drills
    Saturday - Game

The excessive nature of too many fitness sessions is really showing. I think there's a likelihood our nutrition isn't great either.

No disrespect Dazzler, but ignoring the fact they will have a number of specifically qualified fitness instructors, you have no idea what regime they are following.

i would pretty much guarantee that non-injured players would have done zero fitness work or drills over the last sat month. They would be doing rest, recovery, shape work  with ball and set plays specifically for the next game. And little else.
  • Options
    Sarr isn't as good a defender as Lockyer, or Bauer come to that, but he's far from our main issues right now and I don't agree he was guilty for the 1st goal. On that basis i'm sure Phillips has taken a goal kick or cleared the ball and then eventually it's come back and resulted in us letting in a goal. 

As for the second goal Purrington seemed to be sharing right back responsibilities with Solly! On todays performance neither were particularly good in either position! 

Ultimately we're running on empty, players playing who shouldn't be, players that need a rest (Gallagher and Pratley) and some just had a bad game.

Disappointing, but it is what it is as they say.
  • Options
    I was at the QPR game and some of the stick Sarr got was terrible saying he was the worst player in the league ( he certainly is not ) and he dug is out of a hole but he is consistently making mistakes that cost us. I will always get behind our players during the game but when you reflect afterwards its hard not to see what’s happening and not say anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Taking this in isolation that was disgusting.  Just got back on the coach and I was embarrassed to have to witness that.  No positives and I’m amazed that the team got that sort of reaction in the end.

i will always defend the team and the management, because overall, they are giving it everything, but I just need this place tonight to vent.  

Sarr, how many times is he going to cost us a goal.  We can’t keep carrying him at this level.  Our defence is really, really poor at the moment and it’s too much to expect a team full of youngsters in attack to score more than we concede in each game 

Bowyer needs help in Jan and I pray we get this takeover and there is a bit of money there.

100% support as always and will be ready to get behind them against Swansea as we all will be, just thoroughly miserable at the manner of that defeat 
    Much respect for going tonight mate. 
    As for Sarr  I agree with you. 
    Some on here though think he's a cross between Bobby Moore and George  Costa 
    Being at the game highlights just how poor he is.

Millwall, QPR, here.  Mistake after mistake.   I simply can't agree that not tracking back 55 minutes into a game is nothing but being lazy and not wanting it enough.

He's simply not good enough at this level.  We have players trying their hardest who aren't talented but would never give up.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Let's look at the positives: 1. It was nice seeing a match with both teams opting to wear their traditional first choice colours. 2. No-one can blame the ref. 3. Err, that's it, there is no three. :neutral:
    4. Taylor got another goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    1StevieG said:
    Leuth said:
    1StevieG said:
    I’m still gobsmacked the ball was played over to that side of the pitch. We had a free kick about 2 yards into our half. Solly was virtually standing next to Bowyer on the touch line when he took it. He passes it backwards, then it was passed across the back line until Sarr’s poor pass lost us possession. I understand we want to keep possession and long free kicks into the box are no longer fashionable until it gets to the 90th minute and you are a goal down. However, was there no one in front or to the side of Solly that he couldn’t have played the free kick to?
    This is because nobody shows and Sarr is the only person who tries to make positive passes so we fart about until he gets it. If you look for the problem in the wrong place, you will never solve it.
  • Options
    Louis Mendez confirming that Bonne will miss Swansea with a hammy, no one else already absent will be back in time for it
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    How was the goal the 'result' of his poor pass???? It got picked up in their right-back area! He went out to challenge the winger, and we defended the ensuing low cross and rebound atrociously

Come on, he played it short of our man straight to theirs and was a passenger in tracking back. QPR, millwall, Luton, Hull, tonight are all games off the top of my head where he has directly influenced a goal for the opposition. You’re making yourself look a prick with this weird obsession. 
  • Options
    Louis Mendez confirming that Bonne will miss Swansea with a hammy, no one else already absent will be back in time for it
    One semi fit senior striker for the Swansea game
  • Options
    Most worrying thing for me the last 10 games is defenders suddenly forgetting how to defend, gone from looking solid at the back and hard to beat to looking like we will concede every time the opposition attack.