Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic 30th December 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Louis Mendez confirming that Bonne will miss Swansea with a hammy, no one else already absent will be back in time for it
    One up top and pray to all the imaginary gods for a draw.
  • Posting with out reading

We don't have a small squad!!  I would bet we have used the most players in the divison and Alfie and Albie aren't the problem. 

If we did it wouldn't excuse Solly stopping the 1st goal, I assume Solly isn't the scapegoat?

Poor subs, not the players he brought on but the players he took off. 

The take over has fried some fans mind, we will stay up.  Get Cullen and Williams on the pitch and we win that game 

Get a forward and a center half or left back and we will finish top ten. 
  • I'd play Sarr up front for that one. I don't think Bowyer does desperate very well though, even though desperate is the only way to get something form that game!
  • Bowyer summed it up perfectly in his interview. Very honest.

I’ve been the first to defend us in most games but that was piss poor in every area, arguably when you’d think we’d have been on a reasonably relative high following the win on Boxing Day and an extra days rest.

Fear for the Swansea game based on that showing but football is a funny old game.
  • I thought Sarr played well although I did think the goal came from his loose pass. But, he isn’t the problem. Our full backs are poor and Purringtons 7/10 have turned to 5’s. Solly isn’t good enough. However, the formation we play means they get zero protection and against clever championship players they get shown up. This isn’t Rochdale and Wycombe anymore.
    You were not at the game.  Sky cameras don't show you him standing there with his hands on his knees blowing out of his arse!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Been to 8 away games this season and in EVERY one of them we’ve let in 2 goals.......
    I think we've found the issue  :D
    Fair point, I didn’t go to Boro and we only lost 1-0...
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Been to 8 away games this season and in EVERY one of them we’ve let in 2 goals.......
    Are you going to Swansea?
  • edited December 2019
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Sarr can't defend and had a liability of a second half? He cut out at least 2 dangerous crosses in the second half and made a brilliantly-timed last man challenge. He isn't unfit - he's played a lot of games in a very short space of time, so when Gallagher lost the ball from his pass he wasn't able to recover to catch up with the Derby players - others should have helped! Phillips saved it anyway. Sarr did a lot of good defending. It is completely mystifying why some people want to make him the scapegoat when he gives more than many others
    To be honest mate I think you are a bit blinkered when it comes to him.  Another goal conceded tonight as a result of his poor pass.  It’s not about him giving more than the others when the whole of the back line look poor at the moment.  It’s about him not being good enough defensively at this level.  It will continue to happen time and time again 
    It wasn't a defensive action. He played a ball that two players could have come for, neither did and so the Derby player stole in and took it. A bad pass? Yes. It should gave been better, but two of our players didn't come for the pass. That's basics.

His defensive work tonight was decent. He did most things right. Lockyer probably made a similar number of errors but was protected by a defender beside him in Solly. Purrington was too busy heading off on an adventure that Bilbo Baggins would be proud of to offer Sarr either an option or to support him when Derby intercepted.
  • Sponsored links:

• How many more times will Pratley get a yellow card for dissent. I thought he was our MOM, but he keeps getting booked for this and with his experience, it should not be happening. Callagher also too many yellows. We have enough injured players, without losing these two for two games when they reach 10 yellow cards
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Sarr can't defend and had a liability of a second half? He cut out at least 2 dangerous crosses in the second half and made a brilliantly-timed last man challenge. He isn't unfit - he's played a lot of games in a very short space of time, so when Gallagher lost the ball from his pass he wasn't able to recover to catch up with the Derby players - others should have helped! Phillips saved it anyway. Sarr did a lot of good defending. It is completely mystifying why some people want to make him the scapegoat when he gives more than many others
    To be honest mate I think you are a bit blinkered when it comes to him.  Another goal conceded tonight as a result of his poor pass.  It’s not about him giving more than the others when the whole of the back line look poor at the moment.  It’s about him not being good enough defensively at this level.  It will continue to happen time and time again 
    It wasn't a defensive action. He played a ball that two players could have come for, neither did and so the Derby player stole in and took it. A bad pass? Yes. It should gave been better, but two of our players didn't come for the pass. That's basics.
    It’s Sarr’s job to make sure the ball reaches the player in that situation and that position. A firm pass to feet was needed. He mucked it up by telegraphing it and then by being inaccurate. I don’t mind him as a player but that was his fault.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Are you going to Swansea?
    Happily no...
  • ross1 said:
    How many more times will Pratley get a yellow card for dissent. I thought he was our MOM, but he keeps getting booked for this and with his experience, it should not be happening. Callagher also too many yellows. We have enough injured players, without losing these two for two games when they reach 10 yellow cards
    Agreed, it’s unacceptable for such an experienced player to KEEP getting such soft yellows 
  • IR94 said:
    Any idea how long Bonne is out for?
    These are times for hamstring injuries but remember to times by 3 for Charlton players.

The time it takes to recover from a hamstring tear can vary widely depending on the site of the injury. A small myofascial tear on the outside of the muscle, may recover in 10 days to two weeks. Mid-muscle belly or musculo-tendinous junction tears (most common) will take approximately four weeks to heal.
  • Louis Mendez confirming that Bonne will miss Swansea with a hammy, no one else already absent will be back in time for it
    It’s the second part which is the bigger problem. We have players out for months with minor strains, ridiculous that the likes of Page, Aneke, JFC, Hemed and Lapslie can be out for so long
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:

His defensive work tonight was decent. He did most things right. Lockyer probably made a similar number of errors but was protected by a defender. 
    He seems to always be the common denominator when we concede though.  I need to see it back, but to me it looked like a loose pass, regardless of players coming to meet the pass.  He always seems to be involved in giving it away.  I remember him playing the ball across our goal suicidally up at WBA in the first half that he got away with.  It’s too common.  I just don’t think he’s defensively up to it at this level.  He’s not the only one, but how come we keep coming back to this debate most weeks.  It’s not as if he goes 5/6 games without incident so we can maybe say, these issues are being ironed out.  If that was the case I would wholeheartedly put my hands up and say, fair play and I’m wrong.  I just don’t think he can cut it at this level
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair. we only competed tonight, if we can claim that we did, because they went down to 10.
    It’s the second part which is the bigger problem. We have players out for months with minor strains, ridiculous that the likes of Page, Aneke, JFC, Hemed and Lapslie can be out for so long
    Just hope that when we get everyone back fit its everyone at the same time and at the Valley

Can then build it up nicely, accidentally forgetting to release the team sheet @ 2pm

Suddenly the dramatic film music starts up, players can be seen emerging from the tunnel, pyrotechnics / fireworks blast into the sky as the likes of Williams / Cullen jog on to the pitch slow motion style (like a scene from Baywatch)

Aaaand then Page falls over a sponsorship hoarding and injures himself again
  • JamesSeed said:

Very disappointing. Not at the races and lacking all over. 

World away from the team that cruised 3-0 past Derby in Oct. 

No criticism here though. 

This squad is decimated and exhausted. 

Stick together people

clb74 said:
    B@llocks to the injuries.
    For 80 mins against 10 men we put them under no pressure whatsoever 
    F@cking b@llocks

Take your pick :-)
    The funny thing is we soon raised our game when we got the game back to 2-1
  • At what point do we stop saying the injuries are ‘bad luck’ and start questioning either something at the training ground or the physio team? I’ve never ever known a football team to have such a bad run of injuries. 

Also how Chris Solly gets anywhere near a championship team, let alone starts for one is beyond me, the geezer is shot to pieces.

• Can't defend and we don't have a midfield. Derby player completely unmarked for the second.

I thought we were very poor and ultimately just don't think the players are good enough for this division.
  • Posting without reading.

(Guitar solo)

We've got to hold on ready or not

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got

Wooah
    We're half way there
    Woah-oh
    Livin' on a prayer

Take my hand and we'll make it, I swear
    Woah-oh
    Livin' on a prayer

• edited December 2019
    Of the 18 we had in the squad against Derby in October, 9 were unavailable today. 
  • edited December 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think Bowyer is overworking the lads in the fitness sessions as they're tiring in games and he's trying to up their stamina.

He's missing a key thing, they need a recovery before games, not just after. 

Should probably look something like this:

For weeks with only Sat fixtures
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - Drills
    Tuesday - Fitness & Drills
    Wednesday - Fitness & Drills
    Thursday - Drills
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Game
    For weeks with midweek fixtures
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - Drills
    Tuesday - Drills
    Wednesday - Game
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Drills
    Saturday - Game

The excessive nature of too many fitness sessions is really showing. I think there's a likelihood our nutrition isn't great either.

No disrespect Dazzler, but ignoring the fact they will have a number of specifically qualified fitness instructors, you have no idea what regime they are following.

i would pretty much guarantee that non-injured players would have done zero fitness work or drills over the last sat month. They would be doing rest, recovery, shape work  with ball and set plays specifically for the next game. And little else.
    Whilst I would expect that to be true, the players and Bowyer have said that they do a lot of fitness sessions compared to what they've been used to. Even if they have instructors is Bowyer truly listening to them and the Physiotherapists? We know he's started to listen more to the latter about recovery times and activities, but what about prevention.

Shape work with the ball and set plays, those are training drills.

I accept I don't know for sure what we're doing, I think it's seemimg obvious to me that most sides in this league are looking far fitter and have more energy over 95 minutes plus.
    They're not particularly rotating players either as they're sticking to their best side.

Why aren't they all blowing after 60 minutes like we are ?

Either our players nutrition is wrong or they're being overworked. Or both.

Finally most clubs provide the facilities for their players to work on their fitness in their own time, it's their duty to keep fitness up at athlete levels, the clubs will obviously help them to do so.

Bows fitness sessions are in addition to that. 

My knowledge of what other clubs do is purely from a friend on the fitness staff at Bournemouth. We've had a similar chat recently.

I think we all know the real problem is Roland.
  • edited December 2019
    Good prospects that Doughty and Morgan are, they are not ready. They are getting there but are not ready yet. Would rather they both get there in League One on loan. That is what should be happening.