Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    Pointing out concerns on a football forum isn't hollering. Things can change today. Bowyer signing that contract feels an important point where things will start to change for the better.
  • Options
    Pointing out concerns on a football forum isn't hollering. Things can change today. Bowyer signing that contract feels an important point where things will start to change for the better.
    Just said personally mate, you crack on
  • Options
    No worries from me. I think it is a complicated contract and not one that Bows or his agent has come across before.
    5 years is a long time in football and one would expect that the normal checks and balances to cover success and failures over that period. The club would want protection from poaching if they are investing in players to fit his plans, yet will need escape clauses. I think that this is handled differently in some way.
    I think it was the agent that wanted the deal done in February so he could get his head round it all. Bows has pushed the issue and it is taking a bit of time for him to clarify and confirm.
  • Options
    I'd have thought the longer the contract, the longer the negotiations? Bowyer said it's all positive. That's good enough to me for the moment. That will probably change when something new comes to light
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    A complicated contract when the Chairman is an Ex agent ! It really shouldn't be.

• Options
    A complicated contract when the Chairman is an Ex agent ! It really shouldn't be.
    Why? That could well be the problem mate. Everything getting over analized for example?

They should post on here if that is the case
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    So many conspiracy theories.... Rather boring. Everyone was loving life after the press conference. A couple days have passed & now everyone is in meltdown because nothing has been 'Announced'. People really need to get a grip on here.

No @RedManS not "everyone" or even anything like "everyone".

There are a wide range of different views as I'd expect from a wide range of people.
    So you was not happy at the fact a 5yr deal was offered? Was you not happy at the fact he mentioned marquee signings will be made? What exactly are you not happy with? 

Everyone tried to do there upmost to get rid of Roland, now we have new owners which are saying all the right things & seem to be willing to spend money on PERMANENT signing's.

Please enlighten me as to what YOU expect? 
    What I expect is for some people not to claim that "everyone" holds a particular view when that clearly isn't the case.
  • Options

What difference would an ex agent make if it is a different sort of contract? Could be tied into shares, linked to income of the club, turnover, crowd size.
    The Club does well, we all do mentality. Bringing in players effects everything in the club and could now also include his pay package. 
    Who knows.
    But I think the contract is the strange bit Bows was talking about.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    It may well be a complicated contract, and it is a positive that they are trying to resolve that contract. But Airman reported the 'weird' comment from Bowyer was in relation to his contract. Southall in his first interview said Bowyer was happy to hold off on finalising the contract until after the window - something that Airman suggested angered Bowyer and seemingly led to him making a public statement which caused Southall to prioritise the contract. All seems very slick to me! Should we not call it how it looks on a football forum or say it seems to have been done swimmingly well!

I am confident ESI are going to be great for Charlton and appreciate how hard everything is in this window. Sadly, due to circumstances outside ESI's control, this window is very important to get right and there is a need to get it right early in it rather than the last minute. There is a mess to clear up left by Roland. But I don't think we have seen Southall's 'A' game to date.
  • Options
    Why? That could well be the problem mate. Everything getting over analized for example?

They should post on here if that is the case
    It is complicated, that is my point and with Matt's knowledge, it really shouldn't be.
    Southall will be aware of the grief, Duchatelet's creative contract caused.
    The good news may coincide with the press conference tomorrow if not before.
    Bowyer wants to stay and Matt said they want him to stay. He will stay.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is disappointing the Bowyer contract was not done and dusted in the first couple of days after the takeover was completed.

Given Southall says he has been talking to Bowyer for a couple of months, they had more control over getting that done compared to the relatively less control they have over the exact timing of new player signings. It would have been great PR for ESI on day 1 or 2 to say, i.e. "here we are, we aim to move the club forward, we see Lee as key to that, we have secured his services on a longer term contract. Next objective is to strengthen the squad over the next 4 weeks or so". They said most of that, but not the words in bold, when they had quite a degree over that assuming they offered acceptable terms.

Instead of that fans are exercised over both Bowyer not having signed a contract and the weakness of the squad.
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    So many conspiracy theories.... Rather boring. Everyone was loving life after the press conference. A couple days have passed & now everyone is in meltdown because nothing has been 'Announced'. People really need to get a grip on here.

There are a wide range of different views as I'd expect from a wide range of people.
    So you was not happy at the fact a 5yr deal was offered? Was you not happy at the fact he mentioned marquee signings will be made? What exactly are you not happy with? 

Everyone tried to do there upmost to get rid of Roland, now we have new owners which are saying all the right things & seem to be willing to spend money on PERMANENT signing's.

What I expect is for some people not to claim that "everyone" holds a particular view when that clearly isn't the case.
    Ok LOL. 

Are you going to answer my questions or not? Why are you not happy? 
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:

Ok LOL. 

When did I say I wasn't happy?

I said there were a wide range of views rather then your opinion that "everyone is in meltdown".

• Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:

Ok LOL. 

I said there were a wide range of views rather then your opinion that "everyone is in meltdown".

Never know anyone to actually take any context into the meaning 'everyone'. More of a phrase, didn't realise it would rattle you so much... 
  • Options
    Come on Lee put pen to paper and let's get this show on the road. 
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:

Ok LOL. 

Never know anyone to actually take any context into the meaning 'everyone'. More of a phrase, didn't realise it would rattle you so much... 
    Oh dear.

I'm not rattled just like I'm not unhappy or in "meltdown".

"Everyone" is a word, not a phrase, BTW  It means "everyone".  If you meant "some" then use "some".  Really not that difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So many football fans think they know how things work when they don't. The issue with Maddison is either he doesn't want to come to us or we are not offering him enough dosh in his eyes. A lot of clubs put offers in and know the player wants to join them. And it doesn't tend to take a long time from there.
  • Options
    So many football fans think they know how things work when they don't. The issue with Maddison is either he doesn't want to come to us or we are not offering him enough dosh in his eyes. A lot of clubs put offers in and know the player wants to join them. And it doesn't tend to take a long time from there.
    I agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So why do deals happen quickly then? I'm not critical of the Maddison deal - we have put in a bid and he is dithering. I accept this happens but we shouldn't say this is how it works for all deals.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

Yes I am concerned, but not because I believe we are not trying.
    So many football fans are fantasists.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....
    But none of that is the case with Bowyer. 

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

The take over was announced at the end of November.   

It received EFL approval in the first week of January. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

• Options

Amen
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

Don't disagree; the uncertainty over what parts of the club they've actually bought is also a concern.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    bobmunro said:
    So why do deals happen quickly then? 
    Liverpool want to speak to a Charlton player - from permission given to signing could be very quick!

Charlton want to speak to a Peterborough player - from permission given to signing could take forever, if ever.

Players and agents want to cover every single element of the contract from bonus structure, pension contribution level, company car choice, accommodation allowance, image rights, contract review process and on and on and on... Liverpool offer a Charlton player a contract and surprisingly they are not as bothered with that level of detail!

Professional footballers in general are very fragile people and want and expect everything to be done for them - some are more precious than others.
    I understand the Blackpool striker would have signed as soon as the price was agreed. Taylor would have signed for Brentford in the summer as soon as we agreed to sell him. Brentford aren't Liverpool. A big factor is probably being offered a deal they think is as good as they can get. Maddison probably thinks he can do better. Not a reason to criticise the club for - it is good they are trying to get a player like him and they may yet land him. But not all transfers are like this. Players often know a club is after them and what they might get wage wise before a bid is put in or accepted. The buying club also have a good idea that player wants to join them. Does anybody think Taylor didn't know what sort of deal Brentford would have given him? And Brentford didn't know he was keen to join them?

I would have liked to see a few in by now given the injury situation and the importance of points. Was that impossible? I don't think so. But it can still be put right and we all want that to happen. I do think it is ridiculius targeting the Barnsley game as being all important. It will be massive but a few points picked up before it will make it less so.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

What is wrong is that Bowyer hasn't agreed the contract.
    It's a negotiation.
    Who knows the terms, but I'd suggest it's not straight forward.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    So why do deals happen quickly then? 
    Liverpool want to speak to a Charlton player - from permission given to signing could be very quick!

Charlton want to speak to a Peterborough player - from permission given to signing could take forever, if ever.

Players and agents want to cover every single element of the contract from bonus structure, pension contribution level, company car choice, accommodation allowance, image rights, contract review process and on and on and on... Liverpool offer a Charlton player a contract and surprisingly they are not as bothered with that level of detail!

Professional footballers in general are very fragile people and want and expect everything to be done for them - some are more precious than others.
    I understand the Blackpool striker would have signed as soon as the price was agreed. Taylor would have signed for Brentford in the summer as soon as we agreed to sell him. Brentford aren't Liverpool. A big factor is probably being offered a deal they think is as good as they can get. Maddison probably thinks he can do better. Not a reason to criticise the club for - it is good they are trying to get a player like him and they may yet land him. But not all transfers are like this. Players often know a club is after them and what they might get wage wise before a bid is put in or accepted. The buying club also have a good idea that player wants to join them. Does anybody think Taylor didn't know what sort of deal Brentford would have given him? And Brentford didn't know he was keen to join them?

I would have liked to see a few in by now given the injury situation and the importance of points. Was that impossible? I don't think so. But it can still be put right and we all want that to happen. I do think it is ridiculius targeting the Barnsley game as being all important. It will be massive but a few points picked up before it will make it less so.
    Question 1 - You want me to sign a three year contract - Lee are you staying past the end of the season ?
    Answer - I am not too far away but havent signed anything yet .