Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I agree - that has to be an issue. I think we get Bowyer tied down, it could be the turning point and things start going the right way.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    So why do deals happen quickly then? 
    Liverpool want to speak to a Charlton player - from permission given to signing could be very quick!

Charlton want to speak to a Peterborough player - from permission given to signing could take forever, if ever.

Players and agents want to cover every single element of the contract from bonus structure, pension contribution level, company car choice, accommodation allowance, image rights, contract review process and on and on and on... Liverpool offer a Charlton player a contract and surprisingly they are not as bothered with that level of detail!

Professional footballers in general are very fragile people and want and expect everything to be done for them - some are more precious than others.
    I understand the Blackpool striker would have signed as soon as the price was agreed. Taylor would have signed for Brentford in the summer as soon as we agreed to sell him. Brentford aren't Liverpool. A big factor is probably being offered a deal they think is as good as they can get. Maddison probably thinks he can do better. Not a reason to criticise the club for - it is good they are trying to get a player like him and they may yet land him. But not all transfers are like this. Players often know a club is after them and what they might get wage wise before a bid is put in or accepted. The buying club also have a good idea that player wants to join them. Does anybody think Taylor didn't know what sort of deal Brentford would have given him? And Brentford didn't know he was keen to join them?

I would have liked to see a few in by now given the injury situation and the importance of points. Was that impossible? I don't think so. But it can still be put right and we all want that to happen. I do think it is ridiculius targeting the Barnsley game as being all important. It will be massive but a few points picked up before it will make it less so.
    I think we'd all agree with this, so I don't know why you're going on and on.
    We think the Blackpool lad was overvalued.
    In your words, Maddison probably thinks he can do better.
    Bowyer hasn't agreed his contract yet.

I can only presume that you want us to pay more than what we consider to be fair prices.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

Yes I am concerned, but not because I believe we are not trying.
    So many football fans are fantasists.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....
    But none of that is the case with Bowyer. 

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

The take over was announced at the end of November.   

It received EFL approval in the first week of January. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

What is wrong is that Bowyer hasn't agreed the contract.
    It's a negotiation.
    Who knows the terms, but I'd suggest it's not straight forward.
    Exactly, it should be straight forward by now.  Or one side are insisting on something they know the other side won't agree on.

If Bowyer left tomorrow, do you honestly think it would take until the middle of April to replace him? Even taking into account all the points you correctly mentioned above? 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    No, if a player doesn't want to play for you there will be others that do. We have to find them, or at least a couple of them, because we have two games coming up in the next week with no midfield and one fit inexperienced striker. That is six points that we can't dismiss and say Barnsley is the important game. If we didn't have an injury crisis it wouldn't be anywhere near the issue it is. The desperation of the situation may mean you have to pay a bit more than you would like. But I don't advocate going crazy but we have to recognise there is some desperation in our current situation. 
  • Options
    Imo, what has caused all this anxiety in the ranks is purely timing.

Taking over a Club at the opening of a much needed transfer window, with an excellent management team desperately needing contracts and also a very small squad, pole axed by injury. Add to that the star player, for want of a better term, looking at maybe going elsewhere and an integral part of the team being recalled by his parent club.

Maybe it just can't be helped that nothing will get done until after certain games. If it's an impossibility, I don't think it can be helped, no matter how frustrating it is. 

All for moving on, but there's only one person to blame for this..
  • Options
    Regarding Bowyer contract, it ain't just his, its probably worth remembering there's 3 or 4 others that need brokering to coincide with his
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like the bolded stuff is a that new?
  • Options
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    RedManS said:
    So many conspiracy theories.... Rather boring. Everyone was loving life after the press conference. A couple days have passed & now everyone is in meltdown because nothing has been 'Announced'. People really need to get a grip on here.

No @RedManS not "everyone" or even anything like "everyone".

There are a wide range of different views as I'd expect from a wide range of people.
    So you was not happy at the fact a 5yr deal was offered? Was you not happy at the fact he mentioned marquee signings will be made? What exactly are you not happy with? 

Everyone tried to do there upmost to get rid of Roland, now we have new owners which are saying all the right things & seem to be willing to spend money on PERMANENT signing's.

Please enlighten me as to what YOU expect? 
    What I expect is for some people not to claim that "everyone" holds a particular view when that clearly isn't the case.
    Ok LOL. 

Are you going to answer my questions or not? Why are you not happy? 
    When did I say I wasn't happy?

I said there were a wide range of views rather then your opinion that "everyone is in meltdown".

Never know anyone to actually take any context into the meaning 'everyone'. More of a phrase, didn't realise it would rattle you so much... 
    Oh dear.

I'm not rattled just like I'm not unhappy or in "meltdown".

"Everyone" is a word, not a phrase, BTW  It means "everyone".  If you meant "some" then use "some".  Really not that difficult.
    Ahh at least i now know you gets kicks from correcting people. Absolute knob head. 
     Who's "rattled" now.  : - )

Anyway, time to move on
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever read a Grapevine post all the way through.
    TLTR - Same here 
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever read a Grapevine post all the way through.
    Never have enough time.. Only get an hour for my lunch break
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

Yes I am concerned, but not because I believe we are not trying.
    So many football fans are fantasists.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....
    But none of that is the case with Bowyer. 

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

The take over was announced at the end of November.   

It received EFL approval in the first week of January. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

What is wrong is that Bowyer hasn't agreed the contract.
    It's a negotiation.
    Who knows the terms, but I'd suggest it's not straight forward.
    Exactly, it should be straight forward by now.  Or one side are insisting on something they know the other side won't agree on.

If Bowyer left tomorrow, do you honestly think it would take until the middle of April to replace him? Even taking into account all the points you correctly mentioned above? 

It should not take 3 months to orgamise a contract between chairman and manager.

Perhaps Southall is trying to run before he can walk in other things as well. A learning curve.
  • Options

Mr 49 - or may I call you Grapevine - I'm sitting here in Woolwich watching a mushroom cloud steadily rising to the west, over SE7. That was some nuke - how'd you get it past security?? Awe-inspiring, simply breathtaking ....

• Options
    Excellent, as usual @Grapevine49

It's also Business 101 to not promise things that aren't totally in your gift on your first day in the job. 

If "poaching" is legally protected how could MS speak to Bowyer about staying and not going to another club? 
  • Options
    Exactly, and where we might differ is whether it is an impossibility or merely difficult. Great post Grapevine btw. Very balanced too. The relationship between Bowyer and Southall does seem a bit strange and I think the points you make are well observed. What we don't know, because we are not party to the contract discussions is who carries most of the responsibility. But when Bowyer uses the press to make the points he has done, it doesn't sit well with me. And I do think Southall has lost the reigns a bit since the takeover. What we all want to see is Bowyer not to be a damaging sideshow when we all know we need to bring in some players that will ensure we are safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed. We should not be screaming ESI out, but there is something to worry about until there isn't. It may well be that tomorrow there isn't. Today, there is.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    My concern, relating to the apparent delay in agreeing a new contract for Lee Bowyer and potential barriers to signing new players (like Maddison) is simply that of budget. Have ESI got the financial backing to set contract offers at a level that are competitive in this league. Not generous, not foolhardy, just competitive.

When I see evidence of that, I'll stop worrying.

If we continue to have problems signing the standard of players that we need, are losing out not only to direct competitors but also to League One teams, are forced to sign sub-standard players for the challenges ahead - the worry will be justified.
    Sums up my thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Well that is a fair position. You are holding your fretting until Feb 1st. I am concerned now, but I am expecting things to get better. I will just breath a massive sigh of relief when they do. Let's hope we are all happy in the end. I do appreciate that it may be that being a Charlton fan, you are used to potentially good things turning into the doggy do.

Grapevine's excellent post has helped me focus on what doesn't sit right with me which pushes me one way rather than the other. That is Bowyer's contract. Not just the delay but the crazy comms around it that feels wrong. Then you think, is there something beyond that? I also thought Bowyer didn't look that enthusiastic during the press conference. More like he had to be there. Maybe that is too big a leap but it just felt like it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Davo55 said:
    My concern, relating to the apparent delay in agreeing a new contract for Lee Bowyer and potential barriers to signing new players (like Maddison) is simply that of budget. Have ESI got the financial backing to set contract offers at a level that are competitive in this league. Not generous, not foolhardy, just competitive.

When I see evidence of that, I'll stop worrying.

If we continue to have problems signing the standard of players that we need, are losing out not only to direct competitors but also to League One teams, are forced to sign sub-standard players for the challenges ahead - the worry will be justified.
    I'm not worrying but I do get the impression that ESI want to correct some/all the errors of the RD era and one of those was being seen as a soft touch for agents when Meire would pay whatever they asked.

Now, that could be because they want sound housekeeping or because they are skint depending on how you view your glass.

Southall has made a big thing about increasing income through ticket sales and commercial activity so clearly they are conscious of their budget. It also suggests that they won't be throwing money around as "some" thought. 

We're relatively poor and relatively far down the food chain hence why Swansea pay a big slice of the wages and so take Gallagher off us.   That means we'll do our business in the main only after other clubs have done deals ie in the last week and days.

Not nice having to wait but what else can we do?

We need more players and MS, LB and SG all know that and I don't doubt that they are working on deals.

The pudding will be proved on 1 February, not today.
    The worry is Bowyer’s contract. That doesn’t need to and shouldn’t have to wait for the last week of the window.
  • Options
    Grapevine, much of what you say in your post resonates with me, particularly in relation to professional standards and working things in the context of a corporate environment with new owners. That is my background. For example, I was critical of Bowyer’s hypothesising on Saturday to the press regarding contract terms and termination clauses, instead of first talking with his agent and then Southall on the terms reflected in draft contract sent to him - I thought that was to a certain extent undermining his relationship with his new, relatively inexperienced boss. 

However, others on here were quick to counter that Bowyer knows his worth in the market and how he was streetwise enough to know that airing his thoughts to the press might exert pressure. We will see how that goes but I fear that football clubs in general often do not adhere to what I would term “corporate norms”.