Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

Yes I am concerned, but not because I believe we are not trying.
    So many football fans are fantasists.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....
    But none of that is the case with Bowyer. 

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

The take over was announced at the end of November.   

It received EFL approval in the first week of January. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

What is wrong is that Bowyer hasn't agreed the contract.
    It's a negotiation.
    Who knows the terms, but I'd suggest it's not straight forward.
    Negotiation is fine, the fact that we've been negotiating since October isn't. Obviously it's not straight forward which is why he hasn't signed. No player is going to sign if they don't know if LB is staying.
    Now this is why you're getting in such a state.
    They haven't been negotiating since October.

NB I expect a signing to be announced very soon.
    No but Southall is on record as saying he talked Bowyer about not leaving in November.  

It sounds like they weren't even on the same page a week ago. 
    Yes, asking Bowyer not to leave is not the same as them negotiating a deal.

I still say they wouldn't be negotiating a deal 2/3 months before they own the club, which could never have been certain, when dealing with RD.

It's 100% unrealistic. I agree they may have had a chat and LB was told, that ESI would "look after him", but that's far & away from negotiating a deal.

Anyway, you'll never accept it. Even Grapevine told you it wouldn't happen.

It's nieve to think that "ball park" figures couldn't be, shouldn't be or wouldn't be discussed.

It's a standard contract, it's how long, how much and how much does it cost to get out of it.

If Levey and Jose's agent can bang out a deal in a matter of days (or do you think they waited until Poch was sacked before they even spoke?) why can't 2 people who both say they want it done get it done? 
    The word is naive btw.
    I think you'll find Levy wasn't hoping to buy Spurs in 3 months time, when he negotiated that deal.
    I'm a little, but not overly surprised that you can't see the difference/understand.

I do see the difference/understand, it's not me that's got my head in the sand.  It's an example of immoral behaviour in the negotiation of a contract in the sordid world of football.  One in which Mr Southall is well versed.

There is a reason that this contract has not been agreed.  My OPINION is that one of them doesn't want it done. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

It's a negotiation.
    Negotiation is fine, the fact that we've been negotiating since October isn't. Obviously it's not straight forward which is why he hasn't signed. No player is going to sign if they don't know if LB is staying.

No but Southall is on record as saying he talked Bowyer about not leaving in November.  

I still say they wouldn't be negotiating a deal 2/3 months before they own the club, which could never have been certain, when dealing with RD.

It's 100% unrealistic. I agree they may have had a chat and LB was told, that ESI would "look after him", but that's far & away from negotiating a deal.

It's nieve to think that "ball park" figures couldn't be, shouldn't be or wouldn't be discussed.

It's a standard contract, it's how long, how much and how much does it cost to get out of it.

If Levey and Jose's agent can bang out a deal in a matter of days (or do you think they waited until Poch was sacked before they even spoke?) why can't 2 people who both say they want it done get it done? 
    The word is naive btw.
    I think you'll find Levy wasn't hoping to buy Spurs in 3 months time, when he negotiated that deal.
    I'm a little, but not overly surprised that you can't see the difference/understand.

I do see the difference/understand, it's not me that's got my head in the sand.  It's an example of immoral behaviour in the negotiation of a contract in the sordid world of football.  One in which Mr Southall is well versed.

There is a reason that this contract has not been agreed.  My OPINION is that one of them doesn't want it done. 
    I've no idea why you brought Spurs into the discussion, when you acknowledge the situation is completely different.
    Let's forget Spurs.

You could be right that one of the parties doesn't want the deal done, time will tell.
    But it won't be because they should have been negotiating the deal 3 months before they owned the business/club.
  • edited January 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

The word is naive btw.

Why do you feel that "one of them doesn't want it done " ?

Does anyone else wonder if this is the case , please ? 

Fanny's getting very nervous.....
  • Not sure what's happening with the quote thingy but wanted to ask @Cafc43v3r why does he think that either MS or Bow don't want the contract signing to happen ?

And do any other Lifers feel the same ?

Fanny's becoming more nervous by the minute.....
  • In my opinion it's one of 2 reasons.

1) Mr Southall has been trying to buy a club for quite a long time.  If I was him I would know who I wanted to be the manager of any club I bought.

2) We aren't going to be spending as much money as Bowyer was lead to believe. When Mr Southall persuaded him to stay (obviously before there was any confirmed ownership, he just stayed because someone he didn't know told him it would be OK). 
  • I am sure MS realises that changing the manager would be a dangerous thing to do considering our position. Lee is the obvious choice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

I can see why you're in a state, first discussions took place in October. You expect a signing to be announced very soon ? Any reason why you expect it or just a guess ?

• Press day tomorrow. Reckon Bow will confirm he's signed🤞
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

I can see why you're in a state, first discussions took place in October. You expect a signing to be announced very soon ? Any reason why you expect it or just a guess ?

I've been told we've agreed terms for Harry Toffolo.
    Agreed the fee but not the contract?
  • If Toffolo signs I wonder if we'll mutually agree to cancel Page's contract so he can go elsewhere

Or whether we'll just do the nice thing and let it run down allowing him to get fit here before leaving in the summer
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

A geezer released by the scum after making zero appearances... That certainly inspires confidence 
  • edited January 2020
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Agreed the fee but not the contract?
    I asked the same question and they weren't sure.
    Presumably, it has to be the fee or we wouldn't be allowed to talk to him?
  • excellent stuff Grapevine, I especially liked this comment 'In the meantime everybody has a day job to do'. You excluded obviously.
    For most of us a post like that might have taken half a day to compose (if we had the knowledge and expertise). I suspect Grapevine just dictates it to his personal assistant in real time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    . (sorry)
  • I have a feeling that it is going to be very important to make His Excellency very welcome when he does visit the Valley. It may be that he is dipping his toe in the water and a buzzing Valley might do the trick. Southall has probably promised he could do a good job with X but is finding he might need Y.
    I'm wondering if that might take place at one of the ticket giveaway matches (Barnsley or Blackburn). Perhaps MS is trying to ensure a good turnout to make a good impression on His Excellency.
  • edited January 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Is this one of the marquee signings do you know ?
  • edited January 2020

Honestly, I think this is awesome, if true. This and Madisson are the kinds of signings we should be doing, imo. The best young players in the division below us. The price is right and big potential upside. Really hope this happens. If we get both of these players, I count this as a really good January window for incomings. Best by far in the 4.5 seasons I've been following.
  • Whilst I agree with that, surely getting Bowyer signed up is the litmus test and it hasn't happened yet. And we do need to see a window that is better than what a Roland window might be as that is the reason ESI gave for rushing the deal through without buying all of the club up front.

I am wondering if Bowyer has his doubts about them. He has made some public comments in relation to his contract that don't sit right and they may be reflecting a deeper frustration on his part. I also felt he didn't look too engaged at the press conference, but I may have been influenced by his comments to the press and the fact his contract had not been signed to that point and saw something that wasn't there. But what he did say in the conference seemed to be from a not entirely happy manager - like the bit about overplaying Gallagher!

His body language just suggested he wasn't entirely happy. Did anybody else feel this?
  • Getting warmer , getting warmer
  • Whilst I agree with that, surely getting Bowyer signed up is the litmus test and it hasn't happened yet. And we do need to see a window that is better than what a Roland window might be as that is the reason ESI gave for rushing the deal through without buying all of the club up front.

I am wondering if Bowyer has his doubts about them. He has made some public comments in relation to his contract that don't sit right and they may be reflecting a deeper frustration on his part. I also felt he didn't look too engaged at the press conference, but I may have been influenced by his comments to the press and the fact his contract had not been signed to that point and saw something that wasn't there. But what he did say in the conference seemed to be from a not entirely happy manager - like the bit about overplaying Gallagher!

His body language just suggested he wasn't entirely happy. Did anybody else feel this?
    No