Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    Whilst I agree with that, surely getting Bowyer signed up is the litmus test and it hasn't happened yet. And we do need to see a window that is better than what a Roland window might be as that is the reason ESI gave for rushing the deal through without buying all of the club up front.

I am wondering if Bowyer has his doubts about them. He has made some public comments in relation to his contract that don't sit right and they may be reflecting a deeper frustration on his part. I also felt he didn't look too engaged at the press conference, but I may have been influenced by his comments to the press and the fact his contract had not been signed to that point and saw something that wasn't there. But what he did say in the conference seemed to be from a not entirely happy manager - like the bit about overplaying Gallagher!

His body language just suggested he wasn't entirely happy. Did anybody else feel this?
    I wouldn't expect him to be entirely happy .
    We have won 1 in 15 league games , our available playing squad will get us relegated , he knows it and he isn't gonna be happy 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    True. But if you felt that was going to change for the better, you might be happier. Anyway - I will be happy when he signs his new deal as I am sure we all will be. Bowyer has suggested it is only a couple of phone calls away so those calls ought to be made now!
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

Yes I am concerned, but not because I believe we are not trying.
    So many football fans are fantasists.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....
    But none of that is the case with Bowyer. 

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

The take over was announced at the end of November.   

It received EFL approval in the first week of January. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

What is wrong is that Bowyer hasn't agreed the contract.
    It's a negotiation.
    Who knows the terms, but I'd suggest it's not straight forward.
    Negotiation is fine, the fact that we've been negotiating since October isn't. Obviously it's not straight forward which is why he hasn't signed. No player is going to sign if they don't know if LB is staying.
    Now this is why you're getting in such a state.
    They haven't been negotiating since October.

NB I expect a signing to be announced very soon.
    A signing soon, is that just a guess or something more?
    I'm hoping Toffolo will be signed this week.
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Just calling it as I see it. I think it is vitally important we give ourselves as much chance as possible on Saturday. Others may not be so bothered but it is a valid position seeing as we have had over two weeks to deal with what we should all agree is a crisis.

Buying new players isn't like going to the supermarket, sticking them in the trolley, and checking-out!

It starts with expressing interest/seeking permission to speak - and from that point onwards the vast majority of decisions are outwith the buying club's control.

They must think we speak to a player/manager and they should just sign almost immediately on the dotted line.

We're Charlton you're not allowed to have time to think whether the deal is acceptable.
    We're Charlton just sign right here and now and no you can't discuss it with you partner.
    We're Charlton sign now, we don't care if you have issues with your kids and schools.
    We're Charlton, we don't get if you'll have to move house or live in a hotel for 6 months, sign here & now.
    We're Charlton .....

Southall said he spoke him about not leaving for another club.  The smart money is either Cardiff or Huddersfield.  That would have been mid November.  3 months ago. 

If you number 1 priority was to get the incumbent manager to sign a new contract, why has it taken over 90 days to actually offer a contract?  That appears to be not actually be acceptable to Bowyer?

I used the word "stinks" last night, which was probably to strong, but something doesn't add up to me. 

It's a negotiation.
    Negotiation is fine, the fact that we've been negotiating since October isn't. Obviously it's not straight forward which is why he hasn't signed. No player is going to sign if they don't know if LB is staying.

He’s going Huddersfield isn’t he ?
    Going TO Huddersfield!!!!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Can all bed wetters please now join the ‘ Who owns the Valley’ thread immediately as your services are now required there. Thank you.

Until the ink is on the paper............
  • Options
    Getting warmer , getting warmer
    That'll be the warmer weather front over us mate turn the central heating down 😉
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

I can see why you're in a state, first discussions took place in October. You expect a signing to be announced very soon ? Any reason why you expect it or just a guess ?

I've been told we've agreed terms for Harry Toffolo.
    A geezer released by the scum after making zero appearances... That certainly inspires confidence 
    Toffolo has been top draw for The Imps for a fair while now and is arguably their best player.
    Doubt there is a fan who will not be sorry to see him go.
  • Options
    Whilst I agree with that, surely getting Bowyer signed up is the litmus test and it hasn't happened yet. And we do need to see a window that is better than what a Roland window might be as that is the reason ESI gave for rushing the deal through without buying all of the club up front.

I am wondering if Bowyer has his doubts about them. He has made some public comments in relation to his contract that don't sit right and they may be reflecting a deeper frustration on his part. I also felt he didn't look too engaged at the press conference, but I may have been influenced by his comments to the press and the fact his contract had not been signed to that point and saw something that wasn't there. But what he did say in the conference seemed to be from a not entirely happy manager - like the bit about overplaying Gallagher!

His body language just suggested he wasn't entirely happy. Did anybody else feel this?
    No. I think you maybe suffering from PTCD  Post traumatic Corbyn disorder  :-)
  • Options
    I want to draw a distinction between Bowyer signing a contract (as he is here till end of season anyway which isnt unusual) and us having a very thin team/squad at the moment, relying on academy players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well if Bowyer signs imminently, that will make me happier, and I think it could loosen the blockage with incomings. It just has taken far too long but we are where we are.
  • Options
    Well if Bowyer signs imminently, that will make me happier, and I think it could loosen the blockage with incomings. It just has taken far too long but we are where we are.
    What's the usual timescale for negotiations, for a 5 year contract, plus 3 or 4 other staff member's contracts then? Just asking
  • Options
    Perhaps he wants a bigger budget for signings and that’s what needed to be agreed.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Perhaps he wants a bigger budget for signings and that’s what needed to be agreed.
    There's loads of aspects to be agreed, all while negotiating with players and other management staff, plus everything else.
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

No. Going t’Huddersfield
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

No. Going t’Huddersfield
    No, G't'H'd's'field
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What's the usual timescale for negotiations, for a 5 year contract, plus 3 or 4 other staff member's contracts then? Just asking
    How long is a piece of string? 
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

What ?
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

We're Charlton .....

It's a negotiation.

No. Going t’Huddersfield

E by gum, going t'udders.

E by gum is the way Yorkshire folk do drugs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exactly
    Not sure what you mean by exactly. It takes as long as you want it to take depending on the urgency, complexity and a number of other factors.
  • Options
    Exactly
    Not sure what you mean by exactly. It takes as long as you want it to take depending on the urgency, complexity and a number of other factors.
    You said, and I quote, " It just has taken far too long but we are where we are." 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Bed wetters....the most irritating phrase on CL?

My favourite and most accurate. Closely followed by melts, snowflakes and anything involving the word nappy.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity how complex is it to sign a manager that wants to stay and the owners apparently want to keep.

They were all in the same vicinity at the weekend, we were told they would talk, they did, it's now 5 nights since then and we are still 'very very close' surely it's a pressing matter and they should be getting to the bottom of it rather than letting the days go by. Each to their own but if I had just bought a football club and truly wanted the manager to stay, I would make time for him and not leave that room until we come to an agreement. I don't understand the hold up 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Bed wetters....the most irritating phrase people on CL?

Yeah, definitely.
  • Options
    Will be happy once Bowyer signs - surprised how long it has dragged on for. 

• Options
    Just out of curiosity how complex is it to sign a manager that wants to stay and the owners apparently want to keep.

They were all in the same vicinity at the weekend, we were told they would talk, they did, it's now 5 nights since then and we are still 'very very close' surely it's a pressing matter and they should be getting to the bottom of it rather than letting the days go by. Each to their own but if I had just bought a football club and truly wanted the manager to stay, I would make time for him and not leave that room until we come to an agreement. I don't understand the hold up 
    MS - "Gonna offer £7k a week"
    LB - "£12k!"
    MS - "£8k!"
    LB - "£10K!"
    MS - "DONE"
    LB - "Right let's go do the pub......"