Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    Jamie19 said:
    Amazed he hasn't signed yet - not filling anyone with confidence.
    If you watch the press Conference from Thursday I don’t think there’s anything to be worried about, I think it’ll be done by the middle of next week latest, he said there’s a few small things to be done including sorting the back room staff.
    But he said last weekend that it should be sorted on Monday (this week... before any smart arses comment 😉)
  • Options
    Jamie19 said:
    If you watch the press Conference from Thursday I don’t think there’s anything to be worried about, I think it’ll be done by the middle of next week latest, he said there’s a few small things to be done including sorting the back room staff.
    And last Saturday he said he hoped he’d be signing on Monday. I suppose he didn’t say which Monday ....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Jamie19 said:
    I wonder if Bowyer said something along the lines, "I'm only signing if my management team are signed up too?"
    Hence a further delay.

The whole point of a 5 year contract for Bowyer, I should imagine, is to bring stability to the club plus give him time to build and develop the team.
    And that includes his management team ...... he won't want to do that without Jacko, Gallen and Marshall - plus other key backroom staff.

What about little Tommy back in Belgium?
  • Options
    I assume Gallen has a nice new Contract to go with his job title.
  • Options
    Not sure I see Jacko hanging about for five years as number two.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Jamie19 said:
    I wonder if Bowyer said something along the lines, "I'm only signing if my management team are signed up too?"
    Hence a further delay.

The whole point of a 5 year contract for Bowyer, I should imagine, is to bring stability to the club plus give him time to build and develop the team.
    And that includes his management team ...... he won't want to do that without Jacko, Gallen and Marshall - plus other key backroom staff.

Little Tommy? ...... he's the forgotten kid already.

• Options
    Not sure I see Jacko hanging about for five years as number two.
    He quite possibly will if progress goes according to plan.

But I have read in the past that he's ambitious to be a manager in his own right.
    Maybe it'll be here at Charlton .... and he steps up when Bows becomes England manager? :smile:

• Options
    Unless he has signed it already he obviously won't sign it before Monday now.  That's the 20th, which leaves 9 working days until the window slams shut.

Even if Cullen and Taylor quickly follow, it doesn't improve the current squad.  We need probably 3 players that will improve us, in 9 days.  With out loosing any more in terms of numbers. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Jamie19 said:
    Hence a further delay.

Little Tommy? ...... he's the forgotten kid already.

Tones given him a job, doing the onions. 
  • Options
    Bit of a vicious cycle we're in now no?

Owners clearly not 100% convinced about Bows, despite what they may say.

Bows not able to perform to his best because he hasn't got his future sorted yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What makes you say the owners aren’t 100% on Bowyer?
  • Options
    Their reluctance to get him signed up when they walked through the door and the continual delay
  • Options
    Find it a bit weird that Bowyer has banged on about some stability and now he's been presented with a 5 year deal, he won't sign it. Risk free for him surely
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Find it a bit weird that Bowyer has banged on about some stability and now he's been presented with a 5 year deal, he won't sign it. Risk free for him surely
    Maybe Roland was right about his agent?!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The length of contract is one part of it, like Maddison why shouldn’t he negotiate and try to get the best possible deal?
  • Options

Scoham said:
    Croydon said:
    The length of contract is one part of it, like Maddison why shouldn’t he negotiate and try to get the best possible deal?
    Hasn't he been offered 5 years? What's he expecting, tenure?
  • Options
    I want Bowyer to sign but thought why offer 5 years? 3 Years is what you ought to do and the 5 years is another thing that makes me doubt ESI/Siuthall know what they are doing. It is the terms they have to agree which is important, Leeds could come in for Bowyer in 2 years and he would walk. The 5 years is just for the fans, talking the talk. I haven't seen one example yet of walking the walk. They haven't agreed the terms yet and I am not sure they ever will. Bowyer looks like he is biting his tongue to me. He can't come out and say it is ridiculous he hasn't had one or two in but if you think he doesn't think it you are deluding yourselves. His comments today whilst going as far as he probably thinks he can in the circumstances ought to provide a clue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the five years was offered so they could pay agreed wages of a three year contract over a five year period.
  • Options
    Bowyer AND Southall have both painted each other, or themselves, into a corner IMO. 

I also think one, or both, of them has done it on purpose.

Can MS afford to give Bowyer what he wants, what ever it is, or risk Bowyer walking?  He might want someone else in the medium term but it would be a PR, and potentially footballing, suicide to let him walk now.

Does Bowyer need, or want, the job enough to do it on terms he isn't happy with?

IMO Bowyer will sign a contract before the Fulham game, but I would be seriously surprised if he is here this time next year. 
  • Options
    Why offer 5 years?

In many corporations it's regarded as a period long enough to plan, progress and achieve an attainable goal.
    By offering a 5 year contract to Bowyer, one would imagine that ESI believe he is the man to provide the stability to take the club forward to the next level.

And if he should prove the right man for the job, maybe they foresee he would be here for many more years gradually progressing the club to a successful level?
    Think Alex Ferguson at Man Utd, Arsene Wenger at Arsenal ..... and of course, Alan Curbishley at Charlton.

After all, even Bowyer himself has often said, "We're on a journey together"; that he's trying to build something long term here at Charlton.

At this stage, I don't see any real reason to be cynical ..... but we'll know for sure in a week or two.

• Options
    I don't want you to apologise. There have been a number of posts where in isolation it is just disagreeing but when put together it feels personal. We have had run ins in the past so I am saying I find it tiring. Now if it is just we disagree on virtually everything, fair enough, it probably illustrates what I am saying. I can certainly try to steer clear of you if you do so with me.
    Well uf those are your rules mate, then I'd better stick to em.

And I'm sorry for apologising too...
    Apologising is a crime nowadays, it appears.
    I’m sorry but it’s not.

you're a funny man(?) at times but I refuse to add to your 25k count.
  • Options
    Callumcafc saidI am starting to wonder if Bows is :
    What makes you say the owners aren’t 100% on Bowyer?
    I am starting to suspect that Bowyer is not 100% convinced about them.

As the old expression goes, "when in doubt do nowt".

Bowyer is making all the right noises, probably knowing we are right behind him and the board need to be sensible and see what Bowyer has achieved in the past 18 months.

Bowyer's signature on a contract is THE most important one this month.

ps We do need a few new players as well!
  • Options
    Bit of a vicious cycle we're in now no?

Owners clearly not 100% convinced about Bows, despite what they may say.

Bows not able to perform to his best because he hasn't got his future sorted yet

A change of ownership normally leads to a change of manager, hopefully not on this occasion.
  • Options
    Think the five years was offered so they could pay agreed wages of a three year contract over a five year period.

A week later he has still not signed it, you would have thought Bowyer would have signed it.  Probably some issues..................
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'd like @seriously_red post something on here to put all our minds at rest.
  • Options
    It better be sorted soon for Bowyers sake as with each loss, injuries or not his stock value is lowering and his excellency may get other ideas. 
  • Options
    fenn3098 said:
    It better be sorted soon for Bowyers sake as with each loss, injuries or not his stock value is lowering and his excellency may get other ideas. 
    Southall would not be so popular then.......overnight.