Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The greatest show on turf Cheltenham 2020 thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Backed both Gino Trail and Croco Bay (following @PaddyP17 's outsiders) but so hoping Jamie scores with GT in the next. 

....sadly not to be.

• Options
    One person who won’t be happy for It Came To Pass winning the 4.10 is the ITV7 punter who had 6/6 going into the final race.
    He’d picked Billaway and had the favourite landed he would have been £250k richer.
  • Options
    Been too busy with work this week to look at anything, so scanned @PaddyP17
    tips and had a nibble on Harry Senior and Delta Work.

I’ll be looking for a new Punters Pal, pal!!
  • Options
    One person who won’t be happy for It Came To Pass winning the 4.10 is the ITV7 punter who had 6/6 going into the final race.
    He’d picked Billaway and had the favourite landed he would have been £250k richer.
    I would of layed billaway for £30000 on betfair
  • Options
    awful penultimate jump from EdB there, but had him e/w so got bit to play with on the last race of the day.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    awful penultimate jump from EdB there, but had him e/w so got bit to play with on the last race of the day.
    Not much he was able to do when Jan Maat comes right across him though - cramped for room and did relatively well to stay on. Don't think he'd have won against Chosen Mate who was just travelling so strongly though
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Fuck me, the brits have won  :)

Cheers everyone - brilliant thread as always. Some great racing, some brilliant tipping. Many congrats, especially to @Gravesend_Addick
    and @PaddyP17 (apologies if I overlooked another star).
    From the sublime to the ridiculolus, the Midlands National tomorrow ..... maybe.
  • Options
    Column of fire 😩
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Column of fire 😩
    Me too. Sums up my day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had The Bosses Oscar who finished from a mile off to grab 5th. Was last with 2 to jump.
  • Options
    Gosheen bombs at last same with column of fire, harry Cobden gave greenetean nothing short of a shitter of a ride. 

Still up for the week so happy with it - just next year won’t bet on the Friday poxy day
  • Options
    Incredibly unlucky. In all the years that I've been watching racing I don't recall ever seeing that happen.
    At least the Moore's have the consolation of having a bloody good horse on their hands. 
  • Options
    Had a few bets but don't tend to get too involved antepost these days with so many mad place terms come the day.

A WAVE OF THE SEA (Triumph Hurdle) - was really impresses with him earlier in the season but then went off boil a bit (maybe plot for Fred Winter tbf) but came back last time out.  Think Triumph will really suit over the new course.

ARAMON (County) - had been chipping away at him at three fig prices for the Champion but seems likely to go for the County now.  Thought he'd get a mark in the 150s but gets in on 149 which underestimates him by about a stone.

SHARJAH (Champion) - put up best performance of season at Xmas but blew out last time (maybe feeling affects of previous run?) needs to bounce back but feel he is the best hurdler around.

MONALEE (Gold Cup) - this to me at prices right now is the bet of the meeting.  Has quite a similar profile to Don Cossack going RSA, Ryanair then here.  Was so unlucky at Xmas and can be marked up for that run having gone really hard mid race and then Rachael losing her irons after the last.  Form franked next time out with Delta Work winning and beating the same horses again.  I like the straight to Cheltenham prep from Xmas, and whilst there is a question mark on stamina, in his pedigree he should love it being by Milan out of a half sister to a Thyestes winner.  He's beaten Al Boum Photo before, and was all the rage in his novice season.  25/1 is an absolutely crazy price.

MISTER FISHER (Arkle) - seems like he'll go for JLT, which as a 50/1 backer for the Arkle will be a sickener!
    A case of what might have been with Sharjah and Aramon both 2nd and Monalee running huge race despite being cut up 4 out. 
    Oh well....on to Aintree....if it goes ahead!
  • Options
    Goshen and Shishkin could both be monsters both are 6/1 to win any race next year 

Lostintranslation 16/1 to win next years gold cup 
  • Options
    You could also throw Epatante in the mix, all three very exciting prospects.
  • Options
    Paddy we will rely on you to find us another novice to put the house on ;) cheers all for making this an enjoyable week, 366 days to go to 2021 which is a week later next year 
  • Options
    Gavin Sheehan, the rider of Saint Calvados, was suspended for 4 days for using his whip above the permitted level from approaching the final fence. Daryl Jacob, the rider of Fusil Raffles, was suspended for 5 days for using his whip when out of contention after jumping the final hurdle.

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/54592/use-of-the-whip-in-british-horseracing
    Do give it a rest. You must be so disappointed that so few horses died during Cheltenham. It has to be a very strange position to be in where you are advocating animal welfare but are hoping for horses to die so that you can bang your drum.
    It really is very sick. 
    That said, I think whip sanctions are too lenient. I seem to recall Peanuts and possibly others of this parish, as well as AP McCoy, thinking on similar lines.

A total ban on reminders would be unhelpful when you rely on the whip for correction too.

Also, the petition cites Norway of all places, where without use of the whip, electric shock treatment is known to have been administered!

There is definitely a discussion to be had here on the whip, but the fact always remains that it does not hurt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Gavin Sheehan, the rider of Saint Calvados, was suspended for 4 days for using his whip above the permitted level from approaching the final fence. Daryl Jacob, the rider of Fusil Raffles, was suspended for 5 days for using his whip when out of contention after jumping the final hurdle.

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/54592/use-of-the-whip-in-british-horseracing
    Do give it a rest. You must be so disappointed that so few horses died during Cheltenham. It has to be a very strange position to be in where you are advocating animal welfare but are hoping for horses to die so that you can bang your drum.
    It really is very sick. 
    That said, I think whip sanctions are too lenient. I seem to recall Peanuts and possibly others of this parish, as well as AP McCoy, thinking on similar lines.

A total ban on reminders would be unhelpful when you rely on the whip for correction too.

Also, the petition cites Norway of all places, where without use of the whip, electric shock treatment is known to have been administered!

There is definitely a discussion to be had here on the whip, but the fact always remains that it does not hurt. 
    I think that you are a little contradictory there. You say that you think that whip sanctions are too lenient but then you also say that the whip doesn't hurt.
    I think that the more that you give in to these people the more they want. 
    If the whip doesn't hurt and I agree that it doesn't, then all it is is the perception. I would much rather racing spent more time defending the sport than worrying about the sensibilities of these people who won't be happy until all racing is banned and explain/prove to them the fact that the whip doesn't hurt. 
    If the shop is banned then it will be the thin end of the wedge and they will move onto something else to attack racing. 

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

It really is very sick. 

I think that you are a little contradictory there. You say that you think that whip sanctions are too lenient but then you also say that the whip doesn't hurt.
    I think that the more that you give in to these people the more they want. 
    If the whip doesn't hurt and I agree that it doesn't, then all it is is the perception. I would much rather racing spent more time defending the sport than worrying about the sensibilities of these people who won't be happy until all racing is banned and explain/prove to them the fact that the whip doesn't hurt. 
    If the shop is banned then it will be the thin end of the wedge and they will move onto something else to attack racing. 

No I'm not. The whip is used to elicit a response from the sound, and not inflicting physical pain. It effectively "startles" the horse into moving quicker, essentially, while the sensation of whip on flank will also provide a (non-painful) jolt.

The perception of whip use really needs to be changed: if ITV Racing, instead of playing the same recorded BHA welfare spiel every meeting, in fact provided context on the whip, then that would be a bit more effective.
  • Options
    Oh - to expand on what I said - over-use of the whip is a problem because to continually urge a horse is detrimental to its health, of course, as they will try and respond most of the time. So if you're continually cracking the whip, you risk overexertion. 
  • Options
    What is your ultimate goal? To get horse racing abolished?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    What is your ultimate goal? To get horse racing abolished?
    Attention
  • Options
    Your LOLs speak volumes about you, @PeanutsMolloy