Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Aiden McGeady Signs! Loan deal until end of the season.***

Comments

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Southall just tweeted saying you "wouldn't get... (Taylor's) left boot" for 3 million
    Like it. Taylor is under contract until end of season so if we want to keep him, end of story. To be fair cant see any club paying more than 3 million for him. 
  • Options
    Decent.
  • Options
    he's just a smug arrogant prick, always been disliked by players and managers.

Artur Boruc beat him up after training while they were at celtic and Strachan couldn't stand him
    Is that a yes or no from you Dave ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Here’s a WhatsApp from my Sunderland friend:

’Ha, he was kicked out of the squad and put with the u23’s and told he could leave as he was being “disruptive” - apparently didn’t like Phil P who then just pushed him out. 
    If you saw Sunderland till I die he was quite critical of Chris Coleman on camera as well. It’s been simmering since Jack Ross left. 
    He is a talent, but we have actually improved since he went out of the team!
    He is a very skill full player and capable of a flash of brilliance but he does slow the play down and doesn’t fit with Parkinson’s pressing Lg1 style!’

There you have it. 

I don't relish the thought of playing even slower than we do already.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Southall just tweeted saying you "wouldn't get... (Taylor's) left boot" for 3 million
    Let's hope that 6 million is nearer the mark or otherwise Matt will look like he's burying bad news as the 3 transfers come in to the building today 
  • Options
    Seems a decent signing really, regardless of how well he does you probably don't want to re sign him in the Summer so hopefully can use up what hes got left in his legs til the end of the season. Sort of player if its 0-0 with 20 mins left you'd get really excited at him coming on to change the game. Cant see him starting much
  • Options
    He's a good signing, a player who can make a goal, and score a goal, which puts him ahead of Williams who never looks like he's going to score. Experienced, has quality, what's not to like 
  • Options
    Young. Hungry. Something to prove. Likeable. Team player. Fits the model. What's not to like?

He didn't become a spanner.
  • Options
    Young. Hungry. Something to prove. Likeable. Team player. Fits the model. What's not to like?

He didn't become a spanner.
    No, we opted for Mason Bennett who fits all of the above other than likeable. That's yet to be seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those worried about his attitude, do you not think Williams and Matthews would have been consulted by Bowyer having played alongside him.
  • Options

Lee Bowyer said to 33 year old McGeady, "Come to Charlton. You can learn from me and I'll definitely improve you as a player". 

• Options
    It'll be good to have someone who we can rotate out wide rather than relying on Doughty the whole time. What he lacks in pace hopefully he'll make up for with a quality final ball - something we desperately need. 

I'm glad it's only a loan though.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If he messed around with Bowyer it will be a good one to watch because he wouldn't land anything on Bowyer either physically or metaphorically and Bowyer would mince him.
    If he is a winner they will get along fine.
    All the time Nabby is within spitting distance everyone should be safe. :)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    McGeady is a very decent short term signing. Quality, experience and the sort of player that scares defenders because he can do the unexpected. On a totally different level of course, but reminds me a little of when we signed Di Canio in our Prem years. Quality, temperament, unpredictable. If he can show even half of Di Canio's professionalism with his training and commitment it might turn out to be a brilliant signing. Will certainly give other players a lift  knowing that someone of his quality is on their side. .
    I agree with that. Also, I’m thinking if I was McGeady, would I be more chippy against Coleman, Parky or Bowyer?

I reckon Bows can probably do a. Umber on him as he’s more into being pushed I think and trying to be consistent than say Fosu. 
  • Options
    Happy with this, as someone said has potential to be low risk, high reward. Wouldn't read too much into the perceived attitude problem, Sunderland have been in a mess for years, bad signings, disastrous managers, financial trouble and failure on the pitch. Maybe as a senior pro he thought he'd call a few people out? He wont cross Bowyer, I guarantee that and he knows it! Good potential to reignite his career with us for a couple more years if he performs.
  • Options

shame we couldn't have got him in earlier then ...
     Think we were waiting for Maddison to be honest.
    Thé marquee that we hired to put up on the pitch has been sent back.
  • Options
    Wasn’t sure about this at first but we are in a relegation scrap and need some experience and some goals from midfield. I think he’ll give us both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McGeady does seem able to take goal scoring free kicks.

I wonder if he can take a decent corner also? :smile:

• Options
    Irish, stocky, bit tubby but a wand for a delivery

Nah...never worked out the last time we had that kind of player as a playmaker and dead ball merchant 
  • Options

Nah...never worked out the last time we had that kind of player as a playmaker and dead ball merchant 
    And pace wasn't Andy Reid's forte, either.

• Options

Got relegated that season while managed by a former Charlton midfielder...
    Touche

If McGeady plays 90% of remaining games and all he does is free kicks and corners, it will be worth it. Hopefully he can do a bit more, still.

We are woeful on dead ball
  • Options

Got relegated that season while managed by a former Charlton midfielder...
    Actually this comment gives me more reassurance that relegation isn't possible.

Because that would mean Lee Lee Lee Bowyer is akin to Super Al.

Never in a millions years.

Thanks @killerandflash...:)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Seen mentioned he has a attitude problem or "bit of a prick" but why is this?

Apart from the issue with Parkinson now has he had other issues? 
    The Netflix documentary doesn't exactly portray him in the most flattering light. Albeit editing may play a part in that but I don't see them changing things that much.
    Just a few examples of what you can do with editing:

http://www.openculture.com/2017/08/long-before-photoshop-the-soviets-mastered-the-art-of-erasing-people-from-photographs-and-history-too.html

• Options
    he's just a smug arrogant prick, always been disliked by players and managers.

Artur Boruc beat him up after training while they were at celtic and Strachan couldn't stand him
    I'd take that as a positive
    I wouldn't fancy trying to be a smug, arrogant prick around Bowyer.  I imagine he could give SAF a run for his money in the hairdryer stakes.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Be interesting if Doherty signs. A fellow Scot and a bit of old firm ‘bants’
    McGeady is Irish 
    As Irish as Tony Cascarino.
  • Options
    He doesn't look that enthusiastic to be joining. That said it's what he does out on the park that counts.