Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Aiden McGeady Signs! Loan deal until end of the season.***

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Very Curbs like signing.

Funny as we were chatting about older signings like Di Canio and Hasslebank (not Curbs) when MS came up to the museum.  

Tight lipped sod could have tipped us the wink : - )

Talent clearly there, if he stays fit he'll be a huge asset. Not worried about his "attitude". Bowyer, Pearce, Pratley et al will sort that.
  • Options
    Where are the quotes where this mysterious model is mentioned as being what everyone thinks it is? I also don't think January is the time to begin on a model tbf.

But... As with ESI in general so far, I'm going to reserve judgement for a moment. Part of me is excited - his best days in green, and at the top level, he could look unplayable. He has more tricks than the Magic Circle and knows how to strike a ball. But he's now 33 and was frozen out of Sunderland's side due to attitude issues. BUT - Bowyer has proved time and again the tune he can get out of all sorts.

Welcome Aiden! All the best. 
  • Options
    I like this signing. Thing he brings something different / more options to the team, and a lot of experience. Bowyer has said for at least a year that the team lacks a little bit of aggro ("they're too honest") and I think he's targeted that extra bit of fight with Maddison initially and then McGeady.  He'll do a job for us, won't always be on for 90 minutes, but a vital body and a potential game changer from the bench.  Also maybe someone who can support Alfie's development. 

Not expensive, ticks all boxes for what we need right now, great signing from Southall, Gallen and Bowyer.  
  • Options
    Beardface said:
    I like this signing. Thing he brings something different / more options to the team, and a lot of experience. Bowyer has said for at least a year that the team lacks a little bit of aggro ("they're too honest") and I think he's targeted that extra bit of fight with Maddison initially and then McGeady.  He'll do a job for us, won't always be on for 90 minutes, but a vital body and a potential game changer from the bench.  Also maybe someone who can support Alfie's development. 

Not expensive, ticks all boxes for what we need right now, great signing from Southall, Gallen and Bowyer.  
    10k a week for a 33 year old winger who hasn’t played for so long he won’t be match fit isn’t exactly cheep 
  • Options

Good news! not overwhelmed, but I do think its a good signing. If we can fit him into our team he could be useful, skilful and knows where the goal is.

Signing rating : B

• Options
    Good short term fix. Bit of quality and some  experience. 

Hope he doesn't go for a cheeky Nandos too often though.
    D
  • Options
    Beardface said:
    Beardface said:

10k a week for a 33 year old winger who hasn’t played for so long he won’t be match fit isn’t exactly cheep 
    Or £10k a week for an experienced international who fits into what we need, limited to c.16 weeks with no transfer costs... Where else would we get something of his quality and experience for the rest of the season for £160k? We would get a kid on loan with a hope that they develop like Gallegher, that's it. That's too big of a risk at this point in the season in my opinion when someone like McGeady is available at £10k a week till the summer.  Whilst McGeady has limited upside value, we haven't bought him and it's not exactly breaking the bank when you see rumours of c.£18k a week contract offered to Taylor and Maddison's sky high wage demands. For me it's a great, shrewd signing and I hope it pays off. 
    Exactly this. £160k is peanuts in today’s market. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defo has a bit of an attitude on him, in the Sunderland doco on Netflix, he basically lays all of the blame for the situation at the door of Chris Coleman, because 'he doesn't shout at us enough'.

If he were the only signing I would be worried, but like you say 2-3 more, and I will be a bit happier, particularly if we get a bit of a 'wow' signing, that would give everyone at the club a big lift going into the business end of the season.
    I think it was more that he thought Coleman's methods were a bit outdated. Possibly not too wrong considering they let him go and he hasn't worked in England since.
  • Options
    Has a touch of the Astrit Adjerevic about this. Hope McGeady is fitter!

welcome Aiden 
    Adjerevic had the lot, good with both feet and in the air. His only weakness was he could only play for 20 minutes !

McGeady will share X factor duties with Williams. Now we need someone in, who can play in midfield and can last 90+ minutes. Good luck with that Steve and Matt.
  • Options
    Not bothered by his age, not like we've got an old team around him is it? He can win games on his own when he's up for it - which Bowyer will sort out. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    He can hit the ball with both feet and from range so it brings a new dynamic to the threat we present.

Not sure where "SOUTH END" is, though.
  • Options
    Young. Hungry. Something to prove. Likeable. Team player. Fits the model. What's not to like?
    Let’s hope he gets the winner against Millwall eh!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    If this had been a permanent signing three years ago I’d have been doing cartwheels. Now I’m not overly whelmed. If fit and motivated and if he’s still got it, then this could be a master stroke short term fix. But they are three very big “ifs”. I assume there is a “return to sender in the event of cnutish behaviour” clause in the contract. Welcome Aiden. A player I’ve always really admired. Hope you take the chance to repair your reputation. 
  • Options
    pleased with this, I am sure that Bowyer and McGeady get on very well and he brings  much needed skill and creativity to our midfield .. Welcome Aiden and all the very best in your time with CAFC
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    A fully fit McGeady and Williams on for the last 20 mins together will scare the life's out of most back lines at this level.

Not a good idea when we are under the cosh and defending corners to have both on the field at the same time, but having magic feet just like Jonny Williams must be a positive.
  • Options
    He can hit the ball with both feet and from range so it brings a new dynamic to the threat we present.

Not sure where "SOUTH END" is, though.
    Is it a non-footballing suburb of Preston?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting signing. Good I think. He's definitely got the pedigree and the talent, just remains to be seen if he still has the ability at this stage. He's definitely a player who can make things happen out of nothing; I remember being slightly terrified when he came on for Sunderland in the play-off final, and then relaxing ten minutes later when I realised that he wasn't fit and was wasting all their possible chances by shooting every time he got near the ball. Clearly also a bit of a prick, so I'm glad that he's only on loan. If he comes in fit enough to play and Bowyer gets his head in line he could give us the creative option we need in midfield. If not then he's going back to Sunderland anyway. I'm happy enough; we needed someone in and we've got someone in in the right position. Let's see what else we get now
  • Options
    I'm pleased with this, he was very good last season. 

I imagine he's been signed to try and get a few more range shots in as that's something we've lacked this year.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm pleased with this, he was very good last season. 

I imagine he's been signed to try and get a few more range shots in as that's something we've lacked this year.

Shots, plenty of shots.
  • Options
    Seen mentioned he has a attitude problem or "bit of a prick" but why is this?

Apart from the issue with Parkinson now has he had other issues? 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He hasn’t even made the bench this year, so I’m assuming he must have fallen out with Parkinson. Bowyer will get something out of him I’m sure. 
    Parkinson dropped him because of "on-field and off-field behaviour" at the start of December and said he could find a new club.
    shame we couldn't have got him in earlier then ...
  • Options
    I don't think Parky manages big personalities very well.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He hasn’t even made the bench this year, so I’m assuming he must have fallen out with Parkinson. Bowyer will get something out of him I’m sure. 
    Parkinson dropped him because of "on-field and off-field behaviour" at the start of December and said he could find a new club.
    shame we couldn't have got him in earlier then ...
     Think we were waiting for Maddison to be honest.
  • Options

he's a Glaswegian ! .. say no more ((:>)
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    I'm in a Chinese Sunderland chat group. I just told them we've loaned McGeady from them. Their response was something like 'good riddance'.

Jonny Williams wasn't good for Sunderland either and their response when he joined us was similar but less negative. He turned out to be one very important player for us. Just hope this deal will be the same. I'm not holding my breath though, as McGeady and Williams seem to be completely different kinds of people.
    I wouldn’t read too much in to that - it’s the standard response when a player leaves a club.
  • Options

The Netflix documentary doesn't exactly portray him in the most flattering light. Albeit editing may play a part in that but I don't see them changing things that much.