Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Aiden McGeady Signs! Loan deal until end of the season.***

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer will get something out of him.  Good signing.  Think it says a lot about what we’ll be getting between now and 11pm.  I’d imagine it’s def one more loan, to take our quota to 5.  Not too sure about any permanents.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Obviously as a long term option then McGeady isn't the answer but for the next few months if he can create stuff and be the difference in some games then the reported 10k a week wage contribution (which is less than 200k until the end of the season) could prove a masterstroke.

Was in the league one team of the year last season and won Sunderland's supporters POTY. Seems like his attitude became an issue this season, but maybe he just (probably rightly) thought he was above league one level.

If he does well then we can review it in the summer when he's out of contract.
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2019/july/mcgeady-pens-contract-extension

His Sunderland contract runs until 2021.
    My mistake, i thought i'd read somewhere they were willing to release him in the summer to get him off the wage bill.
    Probably still the case either way.

Said in the rumours thread it’s a good start, we need more goals, creativity and technical ability in the midfield. Someone who can score from a free kick gives us something we don’t really have as well.

I assume McGeady was an alternative to Maddison so that ends that one.
  • Options
    I wonder how match fit McGeady is, he hasn't played for Sunderland since 26 November.
  • Options
    I wonder how match fit McGeady is, he hasn't played for Sunderland since 26 November.
    That's potentially 65 daily visits to MacDonalds since then too
  • Options
    Excellent player and very clever signing by the club. He is a dangerous attacking threat on his day and too good for league one, even at his age.  Not too concerned about attitude - he's in a situation where he has something to prove and just the type of player who Bowyer will be able to man manage.

Just hope he avoid injuries. 
    This could be a problem! 
  • Options
    Welcome Aiden. League One player of the year last season and will want to perform in order to break into the Irish squad for the euros.

i think given that’s in January, our need for experience and someone that can chip in with goals from midfield (now that Gallagher has gone) this could prove to be a very good signing. 
  • Options
    Not happy with this but we can’t not sign players.
  • Options
    I’m assuming McGeady was the player arriving by train ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m assuming McGeady was the player arriving by train ...
    See, he has already been Charltonised. 
  • Options
    Everyone in the chats have been really positive about McGeady  We haven’t been creating enough chances this season and hopefully McGeady will have the quality to allow us to break teams down. 
  • Options
    McGready and Williams will share the 90 + minutes of Matchtime. 
    A Left field signing but could add vital experience to the 18 man squad.
    Exactly what I was thinking, at last we have someone who can cross a ball and has an end product, as well as experience and players like Alfie D can learn from, which will only help him.

10 good games out of him and it’s job done, thank you very much.

You need experience to fight a relegation battle and pull away from trouble.

Hope we can bring in a Centre half to help up stop shipping goals, I know Cullen and Field missing and now returning will make a huge difference, but I’m still not sold on Naby.
  • Options
    Stop-gap acquisition who will add real quality to the squad.
    Doesn't fit "the model" but addresses the concerns expressed by many of needing to adresss the current reality in isolation of the long-term plan.

• Options
    Not a bad bit of news to wake up to. Decent enough signing to add to the numbers to see us through to the end of the season.
  • Options
    Excellent player and very clever signing by the club. He is a dangerous attacking threat on his day and too good for league one, even at his age.  Not too concerned about attitude - he's in a situation where he has something to prove and just the type of player who Bowyer will be able to man manage.

Just hope he avoid injuries. 
    This could be a problem! 
    Don't worry, our medical team to sort it.
  • Options
    Good short term fix. Bit of quality and some  experience. 

Hope he doesn't go for a cheeky Nandos too often though.
  • Options
    As part of a trio of signings, excellent. As the only signing, underwhelming. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He hasn’t even made the bench this year, so I’m assuming he must have fallen out with Parkinson. Bowyer will get something out of him I’m sure. 
  • Options
    Very good piece of business by Bow and Gal.
    its a win win for us, if Bow gets the best out of him like he has with old man Pratley then he could be an integral part of the team, if he’s a fat prima Donna, then we can fuck him off back to Chunderland and save the dough.
  • Options
    Can he take corners?
  • Options
    He doesn’t look overweight at the press release, perhaps strips just don’t suit him.

I was always told stripes make you look tall and hoops make you look fat. Maybe it’s Sunderland’s stripes that hide any fat. It might be why he didn’t join QPR.
    It's a common myth.  It's actually the other way round.  (Which is why all my clothes have hoops!) https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201502/what-makes-you-look-fat-vertical-or-horizontal-lines
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He hasn’t even made the bench this year, so I’m assuming he must have fallen out with Parkinson. Bowyer will get something out of him I’m sure. 
    Parkinson dropped him because of "on-field and off-field behaviour" at the start of December and said he could find a new club.
  • Options
    Players like to feel wanted, LB will get the best out of him.
  • Options
    Has a touch of the Astrit Adjerevic about this. Hope McGeady is fitter!

welcome Aiden 
  • Options
    Happy with that...Welcome to Cafc Aiden...
  • Options
    Young. Hungry. Something to prove. Likeable. Team player. Fits the model. What's not to like?
    And all for 10k a week...
  • Options
    I don't think Parky manages big personalities very well.