Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 26 Feb | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Have slept on it ...frankly we deserved to lose despite the last minute disappointment 

A lot of players went missing last night

Davis oztumer and bonne 

Doughty had a stinker but to his credit he didn't hide

and the manager made some poor choices...for instance good choice to move doughty up into midfield but poor choice not to sub oshilaja for purrington 

I would have made substitutions earlier anyway 

Realistically this was always going to be a tough season ...provided we can stay up the new owners have a lot of rebuilding to do in the close season...

That's when Mr Southall and his chums will be judged 

• Options
    Looked like a carbon copy of Forest away to me. One we nicked the points, one we lost them. Move on.
  • Options
    Very disappointing result. I was really depressed last night. It is not so much the result but the way we are playing and the lack of any attacking threat, especially away from home. Just checked the stats from Wigan and Barnsley. Wigan had 17 shots, 10 on target. Barnsley had 22 shots, 6 on target. We had 6 and 1 on target! I know stats don't tell the whole story but this just goes to show that if you press and go for the win you are more likely to get it.

Never been confident that we can stay up this season and the way we are playing it looks like we won't.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    One of the most disappointing things for me is that last season we had the best midfield in the league by a long, long way.

Okay we have stepped up a division, but the midfield we have available to us now just isn’t of the same quality.

With Cullen and Williams fit and playing we are half way there, but we are missing two big pieces of the jigsaw. Gallagher was one of them, but that’s gone.

That’s why we don’t get players in support of the attackers, that’s why we play the ball to the opposition so often, that’s why we are unable to protect the defence as well as we should.

We seem to lose the midfield battle most of the time, and for our management team to be former midfielders, it is what disappoints me more. 
    How many miracles can the management team achieve though against all of the odds resources wise. 

All the best kids sold by RD; Aribo foolishly allowed to run his contract down, getting in Beilik was a wonderful decision.  

Then in the summer after promotion our budget is cut.  We are scrabbling for players.  Shopping in Tooting market at closing time because Lidl and ASDA are too expensive.  

Through some kind of miracle they bring in Gallagher who is amazing, manage to pull in favours for Leko, Field and Kayal.  Then Jan comes and they are all taken away for one reason or another.  

MS comes riding in with his super duper deal phone where he has just downloaded the Trash Nothing app and Freecycle website as Tooting is too expensive but finds we are beaten to the freebies so heads off to Hewitts Farms past it's sell by date, bargain bucket, take what you want for free aisle.  

Not Bowyer or JJ's fault.
    I hear all that but in the end its 11 v 11 out on the pitch, and how you set your stall out (taking your market analogy) is of utmost importance if your wares are not quite so good.

• Options
    I wouldn't say it was negative tactics. We played with Oztumer, two forwards throughout and Doughty at wing-back. 

It's just that we played badly. Our forward passing was poor and we often looked for sideways or backwards passes from midfield. Bonne couldn't hold the ball up and if we were settling for a draw late on, then Hemed should've come on because at least he was another big man to mark their big men. 

Oshilaja did a good job defensively but it was plain to see that he had no out ball because he's right-footed. We miss Sarr badly because he's easily the most penetrative passer we have. 
  • Options
    Did we play well last night...... no.
    did we deserve a point yes we did.
    most of Wednesdays shots were off target and you could also see their lack of confidence.
    if Lyle Taylor’s shot that hit the Bar or his amazing 
    blocked strike had gone in then game probably over.

what was annoying was the amount of balls we gave away and our poor passing.
    we are missing Pratley in midfield.

i have to agree with Bowyer I did not think it was a free kick to Sheffield after 4 added on minutes were up.

Finally, i respect all Charlton fans but I think some are being a little unfair or negative towards Lee Bowyer to be honest who is a good manager and should still  keep us up 👍👍

Come on you Reds !!
  • Options
    Stone said:
    Looked like a carbon copy of Forest away to me. One we nicked the points, one we lost them. Move on.
    It wasn't. We played well against Forest and had Sarr who really has to be playing if we go with a back three. If he's out then it's pretty pointless playing that formation with the other centre backs available. 
    Without doubt the frustrating thing is that we didn't change things up and were seemingly content with hoping that they don't score. I think it was only in the last five to ten minutes that Oshilaja moved to left back and Doughty went forward, pretty much in a 4-3-3. This still left us with three midfielders in the centre so didn't address the issue. 
  • Options
    Why was Sarr not playing ?
    and why did  he not give our Irish International AM a
    run out ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    1968CAFC said:
    Why was Sarr not playing ?
    and why did  he not give our Irish International AM a
    run out ?
    Sarr rested with a tight calf muscle McGeady, pass.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Stone said:
    We were more attacking against Forest, by far. Forest manager said we deserved to win.
  • Options
    I agree with Bowyer, first half was poor defo improved after 55 mins. 
    What do you mean we're not the blue team? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    one thing is for sure, make that 2 things .. the royal we need to pull up our collective socks for Huddersfield and Lapslie MUST start .. his pass setting up Taylor to hit the bar (what a sickener that was) was the best and most positive one of the night. And as usual, he was all over the place harrying the opposition. One blot was his silly, petulant, kicking the ball after the award of the free kick that led to the goal
     As for Bowyer, we all know that he is doing what he thinks is best and the reality is, despite a rubbish performance, and one goal conceded did flatter us, we came within a minute of getting a point. Looks to me that away from home our defensive mindset has become too deeply ingrained.  The team at Huddersfield, whoever is selected, needs to go down fighting.  Another totally inept attacking performance like last night will just not be acceptable .. we will see
  • Options
    Stone said:
    Difference being Forest are a top six side and Wednesday are a poor, lower-half table side who hadn't scored at home in 2020
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game, but reading this thread and the BBC and Sky Live Text, it seems another match we might have got something from...but didn't. In 21 games this season we've either dropped a point, or lost all 3 because the opposition have scored a goal, often late in the game

Watching matches I'm struck by how frequently we either should have played a back 5, and don't, or how often the midfield gets reshuffled. (Counting everyone with a shirt number we currently have 21 midfielders at the club...and 3 others, Gallagher, Kayal and Ledley have come and gone since last August).

There have been several occasions when I've struggled to see the logic in how the team is set up. If we'd held on in half the 21 games where we lost points by a single margin we'd currently be 8th, instead of 2 points above the drop zone. 

Bowyer did a great job getting us out of League One but I think the jury must be out on how good a manager he is at Championship level. If we stay up...I'd be happy to conclude he is. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Wasn't at the game, but reading this thread and the BBC and Sky Live Text, it seems another match we might have got something from...but didn't. In 21 games this season we've either dropped a point, or lost all 3 because the opposition have scored a goal, often late in the game

Watching matches I'm struck by how frequently we either should have played a back 5, and don't, or how often the midfield gets reshuffled. (Counting everyone with a shirt number we currently have 21 midfielders at the club...and 3 others, Gallagher, Kayal and Ledley have come and gone since last August).

There have been several occasions when I've struggled to see the logic in how the team is set up. If we'd held on in half the 21 games where we lost points by a single margin we'd currently be 8th, instead of 2 points above the drop zone. 

Bowyer did a great job getting us out of League One but I think the jury must be out on how good a manager he is at Championship level. If we stay up...I'd be happy to conclude he is. 
    If we stay up Bowyer deserves Manager of The Year given the shitty hand dealt him by Roland and ESI. Oh and that's before we consider the injuries and Gallagher.

Matt Southall sends nice tweets though so we'll all blame Bowyer instead and demand that he is sacked.

I sometimes think I live in a parallel universe to the rest of the world.

EDIT: I agree with you broadly @simonmatthews my rant is not directed at you for clarity even though I quoted you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe denial and front is how Bowyer needs to cope with his own feelings of guilt? It was an awful interview but the proof is in how we play on Saturday
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maybe denial and front is how Bowyer needs to cope with his own feelings of guilt? It was an awful interview but the proof is in how we play on Saturday
    I don't think Bowyer, in public anyway, looks beyond being literally seconds away from a point that 99% of people would have taken before the match. Hence his blinkered comments.
  • Options
    I wouldn't take too much notice of Bowyer's comments. He's not going to tear a strip of the players in public but hopefully he was more realistic and honest with what he said in private in the dressing room afterwards.
    absolutely
  • Options
    Switched off again Taylor still running back for the free kick and we should have not been letting them take it until he was back.  Stand over the ball take the card.

Ball is then pumped in our defender has a 2 on 1 situation.

Must see these games out better
  • Options
    After sleeping on it woke up feeling a bit better. I am still concerned, the tactics and performance not good last night but if you had giving me the points tally for February on jan 31st I would of taken it. 

Reading, Hull and Middlesbrough are all in a rot and will be panicking just as much as us, at least we have been picking up some points. 

This team might not be the best and lack concentration but they don’t lack heart and guts, they have shown us time again that they can recover from set backs and need to do that again. 

Its on a knife edge and think will be a lot more twist and turns yet which will test our nerves but it was never ever going to be easy this season. 

Beat Wigan and that will keep us up.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    most of Wednesdays shots were off target and you could also see their lack of confidence.

i have to agree with Bowyer I did not think it was a free kick to Sheffield after 4 added on minutes were up.

Finally, i respect all Charlton fans but I think some are being a little unfair or negative towards Lee Bowyer to be honest who is a good manager and should still  keep us up 👍👍

Come on you Reds !!
    You cant blame a defeat on ONE free kick, no matter how soft it might have been......and its not as if it was on the edge if the box & the taker scored direct.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If we stay up Bowyer deserves Manager of The Year given the shitty hand dealt him by Roland and ESI. Oh and that's before we consider the injuries and Gallagher.

Matt Southall sends nice tweets though so we'll all blame Bowyer instead and demand that he is sacked.

I sometimes think I live in a parallel universe to the rest of the world.

EDIT: I agree with you broadly @simonmatthews my rant is not directed at you for clarity even though I quoted you.
    I blame Bowyer for last night as he picked the team, the formation & the tactics.

If we get relegated (and that is looking more than 50% likely) then I will blame ESI. We are in a worse position now (in terms of the table & clubs below us) than we were 4-6 weeks ago. 

And just to think, they "delayed" actually spending any money on buying the Valley & SL so they could concentrate on the Transfer Window.

And as in the immortal words of Jonny Rotten......

Ever feel like you've been cheated 
  • Options
    Highs too high
    Lows too low

Hey ho Charlton Life.

Bowyer in - but timewasting out. Play the game and play it fairly otherwise you deserve unfair decisions.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:

Come on you Reds !!
    You cant blame a defeat on ONE free kick, no matter how soft it might have been......and its not as if it was on the edge if the box & the taker scored direct.
    No you cannot correct
    but it was not a free kick and it was 0-0 at 94 minutes.
    respect what you said and agree our performance was poor, but sometimes you need a bit of luck  to win or draw ugly.
    now the pressure has been escalated further.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I woke up very frustrated. I'm definitely not in the Bowyer out camp, not even close, but we've gone to a team who haven't won since December, hadn't scored at home in 2020 and have recently been knobbed off by Hull, Wigan, Luton, Stoke and Reading. They've been handing out three points to all our nearest rivals and we've turned up with three at the back, including a player who had a total mare just the game before, and sat back despite Weds looking terrified from the first minute. You could actually see their confidence grow in the first half once they realised we were more pathetic than them on the night. Second half they came out knowing they could win and we may as well have not come out. Despite that Bowyer didn't change anything, let it happen and even when he made changes they were bizarre or too late. And then he has the gall to say we were 'robbed' of a point when we were lucky to even be in the game at that point, and shouldn't be bemoaning losing a point against a team who were more than willing to hand over three from the start. We've been joking about the WLWLW record but we really, really need to beat Huddersfield now to stop this from being a real, possibly season-turning disaster.

Best post match summary of the situation IMO.

I could explain away the losses to Stoke and Blackburn (they have good recent form, they're just better than us, etc.) but last night there was no reason other than the negative tactics.

SWFC were there for the taking but we stuck rigidly to a pre-match plan and never once did the manager look like he was going to properly mix it up. Such a rigid tactic was necessary against Forest and it worked but it was very much not necessary last night. Wednesday were poor and we let them batter us.

I never expected to say that about a Lee Bowyer team.