Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 26 Feb | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Wasn't at the game, but reading this thread and the BBC and Sky Live Text, it seems another match we might have got something from...but didn't. In 21 games this season we've either dropped a point, or lost all 3 because the opposition have scored a goal, often late in the game

Watching matches I'm struck by how frequently we either should have played a back 5, and don't, or how often the midfield gets reshuffled. (Counting everyone with a shirt number we currently have 21 midfielders at the club...and 3 others, Gallagher, Kayal and Ledley have come and gone since last August).

There have been several occasions when I've struggled to see the logic in how the team is set up. If we'd held on in half the 21 games where we lost points by a single margin we'd currently be 8th, instead of 2 points above the drop zone. 

Bowyer did a great job getting us out of League One but I think the jury must be out on how good a manager he is at Championship level. If we stay up...I'd be happy to conclude he is. 
    If we stay up Bowyer deserves Manager of The Year given the shitty hand dealt him by Roland and ESI. Oh and that's before we consider the injuries and Gallagher.

Matt Southall sends nice tweets though so we'll all blame Bowyer instead and demand that he is sacked.

I sometimes think I live in a parallel universe to the rest of the world.

EDIT: I agree with you broadly @simonmatthews my rant is not directed at you for clarity even though I quoted you.
    I blame Bowyer for last night as he picked the team, the formation & the tactics.

If we get relegated (and that is looking more than 50% likely) then I will blame ESI. We are in a worse position now (in terms of the table & clubs below us) than we were 4-6 weeks ago. 

And just to think, they "delayed" actually spending any money on buying the Valley & SL so they could concentrate on the Transfer Window.

And as in the immortal words of Jonny Rotten......

Ever feel like you've been cheated 
    When we do stay up will you give ESI credit?
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything in Davis that makes me think he is any better then Dempsey who I thought did exceptional well in the brief games he played. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Leuth said:
    Maybe denial and front is how Bowyer needs to cope with his own feelings of guilt? It was an awful interview but the proof is in how we play on Saturday
    I don't think Bowyer, in public anyway, looks beyond being literally seconds away from a point that 99% of people would have taken before the match. Hence his blinkered comments.
    That might be a good point. A few years back a manager's post match comments might have had more impact on how you viewed a result if you weren't in attendance. You'd be relying on match reports and the few that went to try and build a picture. Unfortunately for Bowyer the vast majority of us have access to watch every single game and you can't get away with bullshitting the fans anymore. Both "we lost a point in the last second" and "we played shite for the whole match" are factual statements but one tells a truer story of the game.
  • Options
    Bristol city 2-1 ( goal time 90+6)
    Millwall 2-1 ( goal time 90+1 )
    hull ( goal time 90 + 6 )
    Huddersfield ( goal time 90 + 1 )
    Sheff weds ( goal time 90 + 5 ) 

that’s 5 points dropped minimum, table would be looking a lot better had those games been seen out.

Didnt we lose in the last minute at Luton as well? 
    Nah we won 3-1 :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Wasn't at the game, but reading this thread and the BBC and Sky Live Text, it seems another match we might have got something from...but didn't. In 21 games this season we've either dropped a point, or lost all 3 because the opposition have scored a goal, often late in the game

Watching matches I'm struck by how frequently we either should have played a back 5, and don't, or how often the midfield gets reshuffled. (Counting everyone with a shirt number we currently have 21 midfielders at the club...and 3 others, Gallagher, Kayal and Ledley have come and gone since last August).

There have been several occasions when I've struggled to see the logic in how the team is set up. If we'd held on in half the 21 games where we lost points by a single margin we'd currently be 8th, instead of 2 points above the drop zone. 

Bowyer did a great job getting us out of League One but I think the jury must be out on how good a manager he is at Championship level. If we stay up...I'd be happy to conclude he is. 
    If we stay up Bowyer deserves Manager of The Year given the shitty hand dealt him by Roland and ESI. Oh and that's before we consider the injuries and Gallagher.

Matt Southall sends nice tweets though so we'll all blame Bowyer instead and demand that he is sacked.

EDIT: I agree with you broadly @simonmatthews my rant is not directed at you for clarity even though I quoted you.
    I blame Bowyer for last night as he picked the team, the formation & the tactics.

If we get relegated (and that is looking more than 50% likely) then I will blame ESI. We are in a worse position now (in terms of the table & clubs below us) than we were 4-6 weeks ago. 

And just to think, they "delayed" actually spending any money on buying the Valley & SL so they could concentrate on the Transfer Window.

We're in a better position, have more teams beneath us and maintain a better goal difference. 

I agree the bottom sides have made up ground, however we haven't done awfully since ESI came in, in fact quite the opposite. We've done reasonably well.

(From the negativity bandwagon thread)
    This means we will achieve a minimum of 9 points from the 7 games in February, with a potential of 12 from 7. That's a very decent return all things considered.

Just a reminder in January we also got 2 in 4 games so overall since ESI have been on the scene we've got 11 points from 10 games so far.
    (In Roland's last 10 we get just 6 points)

On a massive tangent now... Going by Bowyer's 9 game chunks: 

1st 9 (ended on 28/09) - 17 points (RT 17)
    2nd 9 (ended on 26/11) - 6 points (RT 23)
    3rd 9 (ended on 11/01) - 6 points (RT 29)
    4th 9 (ends on 29/02) - 10 points (RT 39) - Huddersfield to play
  • Options
    I'd like to know if anyone agrees with Bows assesment of how last night played out?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Spin from football club managers is even more outrageous than politicians sometimes. That link being a case in point.
  • Options
    I'd like to know if anyone agrees with Bows assesment of how last night played out?
    I agree that the free kick at the end of the game was not a foul.

I agree that we need to take more care in the final third, an example is young Doughty is very raw and his touch often lets him down.

I agree it was a great block by the defender to stop Taylor from scoring.

And I never doubt the players do try and give everything they can in the moment.

Other than that, I disagree with everything else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    LenGlover said:

We're in a better position, have more teams beneath us and maintain a better goal difference. 

I agree the bottom sides have made up ground, however we haven't done awfully since ESI came in, in fact quite the opposite. We've done reasonably well.

(From the negativity bandwagon thread)
    This means we will achieve a minimum of 9 points from the 7 games in February, with a potential of 12 from 7. That's a very decent return all things considered.

Just a reminder in January we also got 2 in 4 games so overall since ESI have been on the scene we've got 11 points from 10 games so far.
    (In Roland's last 10 we get just 6 points)

On a massive tangent now... Going by Bowyer's 9 game chunks: 

1st 9 (ended on 28/09) - 17 points (RT 17)
    2nd 9 (ended on 26/11) - 6 points (RT 23)
    3rd 9 (ended on 11/01) - 6 points (RT 29)
    4th 9 (ends on 29/02) - 10 points (RT 39) - Huddersfield to play
    We have Lyle Taylor back and fully fit, therefore we will win more games now than when he was injured or not fully fit. Yes ESI didn't sell him in January, but it's Taylor's return which has made the major difference, not anything ESI have done.

Indeed without his injury, we'd probably be up there with Millwall in the table
  • Options
    Why did our Comms team have to Tweet on 94mins that we were playing for a draw. 'Kin kiss of death that .. .still fuming nearly 24 hours later 
  • Options
    As I said earlier, that ref was a disgrace. Not the kind that makes a blatant terrible decision, but one who makes a lot of dodgy ones that to the neutral might not raise an eyebrow. The type that in the Czech league gets looked at and people say, ah yeah, the brown envelope. That doesn't happen in England I am sure. But neither yellow for Doughty or Lockyer were justified, that's for starters. If you watch the highlights, the first Wednesday attack you see Cullen floored and the ref gave nothing. The tackle by that big shithead on Lapslie should have been a striagh red. Far worse than Naby's tackle that got him a straight red in the first minute.

Unfortunately we don't see in the Sky highlights the free-kick against Pearce at the end. Nor do we see the clock. But I was watching that clock.

That's why IMO Bowyer is right to be aggrieved with the manner of the eventual defeat. 

Four minutes were allowed for extra time. Now I cannot remember every second, but according to the BBC live text the 4 mins were up before Lapslie threw the ball away and got booked. But that whole incident took up no more than 10 seconds. So before the Pearce free-kick the ref should have called time.

As far as I am aware there is no rule that a ref can add on more time than was actually lost, to punish the offender further. Right?
    I am even more sure, that the only set play for which a ref can allow time beyond that allotted, is a penalty. So even if it was a free kick (which I didn't think was, but I would love to see it again), the ref had no grounds for allowing it to be taken. You spend time setting up, tough shit, time's up.

So Bowyer was right to say we were conned. Or rather we were done by incompetent self-indulgent refereeing. As a result we are deep in the shit and missing a key defender for two key games.
  • Options
    I don't like blaming officials, especially when it's for maybe one or two blatantly bad decisions, but the ref really did not help us at all last night. Consistently dealing with Charlton players more harshly than Sheffield's.

There were two key parts to it. 1) we actually had the better of the opening 10 or 15 minutes, but then he gave them about 4 corners in a row that should've been goal kicks to us and the sustained spell of pressure that helped bring about really seemed to shift the momentum of the match in their favour. 2) There was a period where it felt like almost every challenge we made was deemed a foul and it is very hard to compete in midfield or build any kind of momentum under those circumstances.
  • Options
    I don't like blaming officials, especially when it's for maybe one or two blatantly bad decisions, but the ref really did not help us at all last night. Consistently dealing with Charlton players more harshly than Sheffield's.

There were two key parts to it. 1) we actually had the better of the opening 10 or 15 minutes, but then he gave them about 4 corners in a row that should've been goal kicks to us and the sustained spell of pressure that helped bring about really seemed to shift the momentum of the match in their favour. 2) There was a period where it felt like almost every challenge we made was deemed a foul and it is very hard to compete in midfield or build any kind of momentum under those circumstances.
    Yep. I had exactly that feeling re the first half. I would imagine that Doughty in particular, who is having trouble judging his tackle timing anyway, was a bit rattled by his ridiculous yellow.
  • Options
    It’s written for the players to prevent them being despondent for the next game 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

On the train home after a visit to the excellent Kelham Island Museum and a couple of liveners in The Fat Cat, The Shakespeare and the Sheffield Tap.

At least there were some enjoyable moments during your trip to Sheffield! Watching Charlton away, you need a few Pale Riders...
  • Options
    As I said earlier, that ref was a disgrace. Not the kind that makes a blatant terrible decision, but one who makes a lot of dodgy ones that to the neutral might not raise an eyebrow. The type that in the Czech league gets looked at and people say, ah yeah, the brown envelope. That doesn't happen in England I am sure. But neither yellow for Doughty or Lockyer were justified, that's for starters. If you watch the highlights, the first Wednesday attack you see Cullen floored and the ref gave nothing. The tackle by that big shithead on Lapslie should have been a striagh red. Far worse than Naby's tackle that got him a straight red in the first minute.

Unfortunately we don't see in the Sky highlights the free-kick against Pearce at the end. Nor do we see the clock. But I was watching that clock.

That's why IMO Bowyer is right to be aggrieved with the manner of the eventual defeat. 

Four minutes were allowed for extra time. Now I cannot remember every second, but according to the BBC live text the 4 mins were up before Lapslie threw the ball away and got booked. But that whole incident took up no more than 10 seconds. So before the Pearce free-kick the ref should have called time.

As far as I am aware there is no rule that a ref can add on more time than was actually lost, to punish the offender further. Right?
    I am even more sure, that the only set play for which a ref can allow time beyond that allotted, is a penalty. So even if it was a free kick (which I didn't think was, but I would love to see it again), the ref had no grounds for allowing it to be taken. You spend time setting up, tough shit, time's up.

So Bowyer was right to say we were conned. Or rather we were done by incompetent self-indulgent refereeing. As a result we are deep in the shit and missing a key defender for two key games.
    Added on time has been done to death but just to add my view on it.......

The 4th official holds ip a board with 4 mins on it. It doesnt have seconds, just minutes. Ths real added on time might have been 4min & 5secs......it might have been 4min & 45 secs. Only the ref knows, and he can add on whatever amount of time he feels needs to be added. I never get worked up about the over-running of time being added as keepers waste time, subs waste time & then there are silly incidents like last night with Lapslie throwing the ball away.

The best way we had of not losing that game as it went into added time was to go for goal (like they did). We didnt. We actually did the opposite & tried NOT to score. Only people to blame for the defeat last night was the players, not the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whatever excuse is made for the defeat it cannot hide the fact that the goal was due to very poor defending
  • Options

The 4th official holds ip a board with 4 mins on it. It doesnt have seconds, just minutes. Ths real added on time might have been 4min & 5secs......it might have been 4min & 45 secs. Only the ref knows, and he can add on whatever amount of time he feels needs to be added. I never get worked up about the over-running of time being added as keepers waste time, subs waste time & then there are silly incidents like last night with Lapslie throwing the ball away.

The best way we had of not losing that game as it went into added time was to go for goal (like they did). We didnt. We actually did the opposite & tried NOT to score. Only people to blame for the defeat last night was the players, not the ref.
    You've added your view on it to death too, and I've told you what the answer is. Give responsibility for added time to the 4th official, wire his time piece to the stadium clock so we all see exactly what time has been stopped and for what. We pay enough bloody money to this business, it's time it was more transparent and people who make important decisions are prepared to be held accountable for them. A bit like the  financial services industry, come to think of it.
  • Options
    I blame Chelsea. Wheels have come off since Gallagher has gone.
  • Options

You've added your view on it to death too, and I've told you what the answer is. Give responsibility for added time to the 4th official, wire his time piece to the stadium clock so we all see exactly what time has been stopped and for what. We pay enough bloody money to this business, it's time it was more transparent and people who make important decisions are prepared to be held accountable for them. A bit like the  financial services industry, come to think of it.
    we got away with it at forest where in added on time Dillon took the piss and lost 3 of the 5 mins with pissing about on goal kicks eventually getting a yellow card amongst his shennagins.

We are awful at time wasting and it bit our arse , didn't study last nights injury time as i did at forest so not sure how much time was taken out and it's always a minimum of x amount of mins 

of course it would be better if we had a clock running and stopping for all to see but it's not like that so we have to carry on watching our pathetic (and other clubs not so pathetic) attempts at running down the clock and we have been burnt for it cos of how shit our defending is on a good few occasions now
  • Options
    What Bowyer could have said:

We statutes strongly and looked the better side for the first 15-20 minutes but I think perhaps Wednesday got the better of some refereeing decisions and our impetus drained away. Wednesday started to get back in it and we didn’t really grab a hold of it.

Second half they created a lot of chances and we couldn’t maintain control for long enough to stamp our authority on the game and they kept coming at us. We had a couple of good chances ourselves and were unlucky not to score but they could have had a few. 

In hindsight if me and the lads had been a bit more positive especially in the last few minutes we’d have come away with a point or maybe even 3. It’s something for us to think on going forwards as we’ve conceded a fair few in time added on this season and it’s not jail about the defending, we should t be in those situations in the first place. 
    You need to turn off your predictive text Neil!
  • Options
    Pretty poor performance, was great to meet @ElfsborgAddick and some others though. If I let football determine my mood I'd never be happy 
  • Options
    edited February 2020

LB dropped a bollock on this one - no McGeady - weird. Doughty out of position 2nd half - inexplicable. Retaining the execrable Oshilaja - inexcusable Relentless negativity and time wasting is just fucking stupid 
    Had to google it! Like it though. Added to the armoury, accordingly.
    Be careful. It's a little unfair to label Oshilaja as execrable. Great word when used correctly though ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I telephoned my son to rant about our performance just before they scored. Had they not scored I would be equally livid. I have been warning about the negativity that Bowyer seems to have. If he doesn't change I hope he goes. Chris Wilder identified this trait and it has to stop. You lose far more points playing that way than you win unless you have a great defence.

I do not think we will definitely go down, but it is clear that our home form is going to be key as Bowyer is clueless how to play away. Clueless! 
    #MeToo, only we weren't on the phone. 'You watch, they'll go up the other end and score' were pretty much my exact words when Lapslie kicked/threw the ball away.
    Btw, I like Lapslie, he might grow into something special with that engine.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I telephoned my son to rant about our performance just before they scored. Had they not scored I would be equally livid. I have been warning about the negativity that Bowyer seems to have. If he doesn't change I hope he goes. Chris Wilder identified this trait and it has to stop. You lose far more points playing that way than you win unless you have a great defence.

I do not think we will definitely go down, but it is clear that our home form is going to be key as Bowyer is clueless how to play away. Clueless! 
    #MeToo, only we weren't on the phone. 'You watch, they'll go up the other end and score' were pretty much my exact words when Lapslie kicked/threw the ball away.
    Btw, I like Lapslie, he might grow into something special with that engine.
    Lapslie showed on Wednesday he's not just a workhorse though

Had a lovely eye for a pass at times!!