Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 26 Feb | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    How much is down to Bowyer and how much is down to ESI.

In the jubilation of the takeover fans seem to have ignored the fact we have lost huge creativity and goals in Gallagher and Leko plus lost Field and Kayal and replaced with blokes who can't make the team in Smith (looks like a lost kid), McGeady (looks unfit), Greene (ok but not in same class as those we have lost) and one who does make the team in Davis who is no improvement.  We needed to spend money, we didn't.  If we go down, this is on them.
    Exactly, while January is obviously a difficult window we needed 2 or 3 signings who would have improved the team, instead we didn't get any. These were from the screwed up bits of paper in Bowyers office scraping the barrel left over from the Belgians reign. So relegation under the Belgian will go down in history as only the second most unnecessary. Is the chairman still here by the way ?
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Loads of respect lost for him tonight, fuck off
    He needs to sit down and watch that shit again and then comment on it.
  • Options
    100% Wednesday were there for they taking tonight, negative time wasting anti football can’t stand it.

Bloody awful goal, why we go all defensive when we cant defend is beyond me.

Management need to take a long hard look at these negative tactics when all the others below us are trying to play positive trying for 3 points we play for a point which is probably not going to be good enough anyway.

Lose Saturday and we are in deep shit.

And by the way what does Davis actually contribute.
    If the player isn't good enough don't blame him, blame those who signed him .............. or rather those holding the purse strings.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    As much as the xG stat is dismissed on here we have been so lucky this season. 

Between Philips, Taylor and sheer luck we’ve stumbled to 39 points. I think we are a poor side with a smattering of quality and would be over the moon with anything other than relegation.
    We've also been so "unlucky" this season. We didn't win for what 16 games or whatever it was because of having 15 Match day squad players injured.
    Well they are not injured now. Whose to say we’d have done any better if a number were available for those games. Compare tonight to Swansea away. Morgan, Dempsey, Davison and Vennings all played that night. Same result as tonight but I was fucking proud of that performance. Cant say the same tonight.

(none of the above a dig at you btw)
    What the hell happened to that fight and desire
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If we get relegated then Bows has to go.

Yes. I mean it.

Too negative.
    I have a feeling regardless of what general opinion is in the fan base - ESI may get rid. The short contract he signed would limit the pay off.... his star is waning in the football world. You only need to look at Powell to see managers can go from hero to zero very quickly 
    Maybe ESI won't hang around for league 1 ? They've bought nothing remember.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Phillips: without him it would’ve been horrible 
    Lockyer: he’s almost useless
    Pearce: slow 
    Oshilaja: awful
    Matthews: decent attacking
    Cullen: tireless 
    Davis: capable
    Oztumer: alright first half 
    Doughty: excellent first half - way out of position 2nd half
    Taylor:  tireless and dangerous 
    Bonne: good effort with poor service 
    Lapslie. Bright but naive at the death
    Referee: blatantly crooked first half gave Wednesday everything plus stuff only he imagined 

Green:  didn’t try a leg sack him off he’s a parasite not worth the steam off
    my piss deserves a savage kick in the balls from the whole squad

LB dropped a bollock on this one - no McGeady - weird. Doughty out of position 2nd half - inexplicable. Retaining the execrable Oshilaja - inexcusable Relentless negativity and time wasting is just fucking stupid 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Huge weekend coming up. We absolutely have to get something on Saturday. Many of the teams around us are playing one another, whilst others are playing 3 of the top 4. 

We’re away at Huddersfield, both on 39 points.

Wigan away at West Brom.

Luton at home to Stoke.

Barnsley away at Reading.

Hull at home to Leeds.

Middlesbrough home to Forest.

Barnsley will beat Reading they are woeful as well...
  • Options
    Luton will beat Stoke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Recent wins against Barnsley and Luton have just papered over the cracks. Against neither did we play well, in fact against Barnsley we were battered second half and got lucky, and Luton should have taken a 2-1 lead with a perfectly good disallowed goal. After that we played some better football, thanks to Lapslie, but if we’d gone 2-1 down who knows. Next two games are crucial and we need at least four points to keep us out the bottom three. Problem is we make the least chances and have the least shots of all the Championship teams and that won’t be easy to change.

Time for Bowyer to up his game. And what did ESI actually do in the window to help us? Davis is goddam useless, for some reason Bow doesn’t fancy McGeady and a relegation battle isn’t the place for Smith, even if he were good enough.

I fear that if we go down then ESI could walk, after all they have bought feck all.

Bowyer has said that they are looking for options next year no matter what division they are in...but I agree ESDI didn't do it for me in that window. They lost the opportunity to make a significant change.
  • Options
    For those watching on Red Button. Hands up who didn't know exactly what would happen when the commentator said they had not scored a home goal this year...  
  • Options
    Embarrassing, irritating negativity. We didn't deserve anything and how we even got as close as a gnat's whisker of nicking a point I don't know.

What was Lockyer's (10th) booking for? As usual he spent the whole game bending the ref's ear.
    BBC text has it down for the bad foul rather than dissent (as spoke to the ref for a while after the incident)

If it was for the foul then it truly was an awful call from the referee

Especially as he let Niuhu get away with kicking one of our players on the floor before rightfully booking him for a second incident a few mins later
    Thanks. I always wonder with Lockyer because he is a persistent moaner and I am surprised he doesn’t get booked every game for mouthing off.
  • Options
    Windy said:
    If we go down this is on ESI and Bowyer. Poor January window and tactics.  
    This.

The more posts I read the more it boils my piss. I would have rather lost that game 4-2 by going for it than setting up so defensive & not creating anything.

I will say it again & again. You can not play 3 defensive midfielders ( Davis, Cullen AND Oshilaja ( or Pratley/Smith). At times tonight we had just 3 forward thinking players (Bonne, Taylor & Oztumer)........and then LB subs Oz. As pp said, there was such a gap between defence & attack and during the 2nd half Taylor was playing in midfield as that was the only way he could get hold of the ball. 

I'm fucking mad as hell. We will get relegated this season as we didnt strengthen in January. Matt Southall can go fuck himself. Brought in Smith who doesnt bring anything to the team & LB wont play McGeady. Imagine bringing on a 6ft 3 brick house in the 2nd half & slinging in crosses like they did. Nope. We didnt sign a single striker & now left with just the 2 we had starting tonight. Green is a winger & Hemed is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Gah.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If we finish 21st Bowyer will have worked a miracle.

The fact that we have not done a 'reverse Liverpool' and finished mathematically bottom 3 by the end of February is a tremendous achievement by Bowyer given what he has had to work with.

Roland we know about but this new lot have not really pushed the boat out to help Bowyer either but the PR is good and people (want to) buy into it.

We all get pi**** off after a defeat, particularly one like tonight in time added on to time added on almost, yet are people seriously calling for Bowyer's head?

He's doing a tremendous job in circumstances that are adverse for all sorts of reasons.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Taking off Oztumer: Wrong
    Time wasting from the 60th minute: Wrong.
    Not going for goal with the 92nd minute free kick: Wrong.  
    Lapslie kicking the ball away: Dumb (the ref added on time).
    Beyond angry. 
    Oztumer was useless, poor performance from him.
    Sorry but that is just wrong. He was the only player to show even a hint of creativity. Never afraid to show for the ball either
  • Options
    we were set up to get a point and ..
     we looked a different side as soon as Lapslie came on .. Oztumer is not cut out for this type of game .. we had no width either in defence or attack and were always vulnerable to breakaways especially down our left, we could and should have lost by more but ironically Taylor hitting a great shot against the bar almost won it for us not long before they scored ..
    Taylor and Bonne together up front did not work too well .. Bowyer got his starters wrong .. why sign McGeady and not play him ?, same with Green .. Davis in midfield is neither fish nor fowl, effective neither in attack nor defence .
    Other than that ? .. we were OK (lol) .. big changes and a win are needed on Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    If we finish 21st Bowyer will have worked a miracle.

The fact that we have not done a 'reverse Liverpool' and finished mathematically bottom 3 by the end of February is a tremendous achievement by Bowyer given what he has had to work with.

Roland we know about but this new lot have not really pushed the boat out to help Bowyer either but the PR is good and people (want to) buy into it.

We all get pi**** off after a defeat, particularly one like tonight in time added on to time added on almost, yet are people seriously calling for Bowyer's head?

He's doing a tremendous job in circumstances that are adverse for all sorts of reasons.
    Have to disagree somewhat. Whilst I agree Bowyer performed miracles to get a team to fight & scrap when he had no choice other than to play kids.........but now he has experienced players to pick from. Tonight is no different to many performances this season, esp away from home. Stoke & Middlesborough are just 2 I could mention- set up negatively & with no creativity and with the hope to try to nick a point. Not for me I'm afraid. Over the past week Barnsley have gone to Fulham & won 3-0. Luton beat Brentford at home & tonight Wigan won 3-0 at Reading. We havemt scored 3 goals away from home all season, and only a handful of times at home. We have had the least attempts at goal out of all 24 teams in this league. Pathetic. That's not down to playing kids. Or injuries. Or being tired. Or having a dodgy ref, a last minute free kick or not having the rub of the green. It's down to coaching & tactics.
    We can't just rely on our home form to get us the points for survival, we need to find a way of getting results away from home, as that's been our main failing this season

In our last 8 away games we have 1 win, 1 draw and 6 defeats, that shows that our tactics of trying to nick a draw aren't working. Our away record since August is awful, if we lose our next 2 away games at Huddersfield and Hull we're in trouble.
  • Options
    Why wasn't Williams in the squad when he travelled up with the team?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    As much as the xG stat is dismissed on here we have been so lucky this season. 

Between Philips, Taylor and sheer luck we’ve stumbled to 39 points. I think we are a poor side with a smattering of quality and would be over the moon with anything other than relegation.
    We've also been so "unlucky" this season. We didn't win for what 16 games or whatever it was because of having 15 Match day squad players injured.
    Well they are not injured now. Whose to say we’d have done any better if a number were available for those games. Compare tonight to Swansea away. Morgan, Dempsey, Davison and Vennings all played that night. Same result as tonight but I was fucking proud of that performance. Cant say the same tonight.

(none of the above a dig at you btw)
    No i can agree with this, kind of.

Leko, Field and Gallagher have not really been replaced with similar quality.

Williams, Sarr and Pratley are all currently injured and were important in our early season form.

Cullen has been a shadow of himself. Starting to wonder if Bielik and Gallagher's work rate have helped him look better than we thought.

Think that Bowyer's lack of attacking tactics are being shown up now that we're entering the most competitive portion of the season.

He can still get it right and keep us up, but after what sounds like another pathetic loss (1-0 sounds flattering based on reviews) everyone is rightfully starting to doubt him.
  • Options
    That was a sickener. Checked the score when I woke up briefly, 0-0 in the second minute of injury time. Went back to sleep.

Sounded too negative, the team looked too negative, as it has in the last three away games.

I definiteely think we play better football with Naby Sarr in the side rather than the hoofing from Pearce and Lockyer. Hopefully he'll be back on Saturday. Also don't know why McGeady is being used as a bench-warmer. I thought that would be Smith's job.

May watch the highlights later if I can bear it.
  • Options

LB dropped a bollock on this one - no McGeady - weird. Doughty out of position 2nd half - inexplicable. Retaining the execrable Oshilaja - inexcusable Relentless negativity and time wasting is just fucking stupid 
    Had to google it! Like it though. Added to the armoury, accordingly.
  • Options
    Sheff weds haven’t won at home since December ffs - would of rather had a go and lost instead of a clearly poor attempt at defending the game.

Bowyer comes up with his usual waffle - love the fella but know when to just give it a rest. 

Some of the players are simply not good enough 
    Pearce can’t stay on his feet, Davis may aswell drop him off on way back to Charlton
  • Options
    We missed not having Naby playing yesterday. Some of our passing was terrible, Deji was the biggest culprit, and kept giving the ball away isolating the top 2. 

Hate saying this but ex Nigel Bannan was class for them. Don’t think he gave the ball away once.

so frustrating that we’ve thrown away another point. If we go down it’s due to all these late goals and limb away performances. Need a reaction on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Bristol city 2-1 ( goal time 90+6)
    Millwall 2-1 ( goal time 90+1 )
    hull ( goal time 90 + 6 )
    Huddersfield ( goal time 90 + 1 )
    Sheff weds ( goal time 90 + 5 ) 

that’s 5 points dropped minimum, table would be looking a lot better had those games been seen out.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I telephoned my son to rant about our performance just before they scored. Had they not scored I would be equally livid. I have been warning about the negativity that Bowyer seems to have. If he doesn't change I hope he goes. Chris Wilder identified this trait and it has to stop. You lose far more points playing that way than you win unless you have a great defence.

I do not think we will definitely go down, but it is clear that our home form is going to be key as Bowyer is clueless how to play away. Clueless! 
  • Options
    From what I've seen, we probably are one of the three worst teams in this division.