Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Thought Huddersfield looked a top of table side based on the way they bossed the play. They always seemed to find a man in SPACE whereas our passes were in the main to a player with no space (a town player 3 yards away) and possession was either lost or the ball played back to the back 5/4 and inevitably back to Dillon who was also put under pressure, which is how the first goal came about. Huddersfield were quality but let's.not get this out of proportion. They started the day on the same number of points 35 games into a season. To me that makes us about equal. As can be seen with many results involving teams around us, that if they turn up they can beat anyone including the top team ala West Brom v Wigan. We are in a very worrying position, there is no other way to view it. Our form is not that of the teams around us so the odds are against us staying up. I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. I hope that Bowyer can do something amazing over the next 10 games but fear he doesn't have the experience or squad to play to his plans. 

Having watched at Hillsboro and again today, it's a tough week. I seriously hope the player's can pick themselves up to give the fans something to cheer about (because it's needed).

As an aside, it was slightly amusing that Karlan's song incorporates their amusement at having bought him from Charlton Athletic! Less amusing were his two well taken goals. 

Tough times ahead, but it's what being a fan is all too often about. Onto the next episode. 

If this was a tough week we're doomed for the rest of the season.

Whilst we are bottom of the table and all games are hard, this week I'd like to have got 3 points.
    Did we get an over night points deduction ?
    How come we're now apparently bottom ?
    Correct we did not,
    But Sadly we have white flag Bell Ends in our camp,
    but we are all passionate Charlton fans and we love our  Club 👍👍
  • Options

This is the pitiful truth. We can’t pass the ball accurately. We can’t control the ball properly. And in possession, we are dullards.

Watch closely, and each pass is just slightly wrong for the runner: he has to check or divert for the ball. Which he can’t control cleanly. Those two touches are enough for our opponents to pounce, and seize possession.

Watch our player with ball at feet, approaching the box. You can see him stuttering, mentally frozen – what should I do? The ball is lost.

The greatest pleasure this season is admiring the fluency of our opponents, the way they pass and move from defence to attack. Brentford, Swansea, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and others. Quick moves, instinctive runs, carving space, shooting at goal.

That is beyond our technical ability. We are ponderous, slow, cautious. Incapable.

Yet, fellow Lifers will recall the first 30 minutes at home against Forest back in August. We were on fire, rapid and incisive: cutting in attack. That should be the benchmark, the way to play. Our best opponents do all that naturally, smoothly, routinely, every single game.

Since then, we in the Covered End have watched, aghast, many second halves with us not making a single shot at goal. That is pathetic.

Our defence is a shambles. Even with injuries cured, we have no effective midfield. We are physically weak – Oztumer and Cullen are brushed off the ball – simply unable to win a tackle and thread a pass from here to there. No movement from the strikers; Taylor is muscling for possession far out wide when he should be in the box, served by a cross he’ll never receive.

We have an attacking throw-in. You can see the mental cogs grinding: what should I do? He throws it back to midfield – and back to our keeper. Who hoofs it out of play.

Come on, for God’s sake. Learn from our skilful, flowing, winning opponents. We are dull, frozen men: a regiment of shadows. Those hopeless loans! I have no interest in the platitudes of our new owners, no interest in their homely Tweets, nor their prudent purse or vacuous five-year plan.

It is stark and simple. They should spend money on skilful players, tough and intelligent men: players capable of bursting the net at the Covered End. 

We did until the injuries under Bowyer, JJ and team,

So why can we not do it again and

Stay up !!

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    I'm not going to comment on the game, my players' marks paint the picture! The only footballing positive was Williams giving us hope with his introduction second half. The best bits were spending time with son and grandchildren, having a pre match chat with @FannyFanackapan and chewing the cud second half with @Lincsaddick.

Ten games to go, all cup finals until we are certain of safety. If the penny hadn't dropped already, the management team and players need to get their act together immediately if all the hard work of promotion last May is not to be undone.

I'll be on my annual pilgrimage to the Valley next week and then Hull the week after. COYRs you owe it to all us fans especially those that have put the miles in up and down the country in greater numbers this year, to get behind you!
    lovely to see you again after a while @RedChaser, you're such good company as ever ((:>) .. @Fanny Fanackapan  .. I saw you after the game and you were quite distressed, I've seen you sad after a loss but not as bad as this .. it's understandable after two long trips to Yorkshire and being subjected to two substandard performances. What can I say ?. After all the trials and tribulations of last season,the Wembley euphoria and the good start to this season, we have all come back down to earth with a bump. However, we are still in there and our fate is in our own hands do a certain extent. Still, we need Forest to get  result at 'Boro on Monday

The game? .. once more we started so slowly, disorganised and hesitantly, Bowyer DUMP THE DIAMOND  !! .. second half with a 4 4 2 ish we looked much more with it and gave the Terriers a fright or two .. 4-0 does not really reflect the game, especially in the first half of the second half. We gifted them the opener and could never recover from that. Having said that, we were second best almost throughout.

The plain fact is that Huddersfield have better players than us. They have the money and have spent a lot of it to try and get out of their own mess. 
    Thus .. Their keeper, a Dane on loan from Everton .. Simpson, the right back who was a member of Leicester's Premier winning side, Left back Toffolo, lots of money from Lincoln, a player we are reported as 'fancying' at one time .. Central defence, Stearman a vastly experienced Premier quality player and Schindler (not the 'list' man) their version of Paddy Bauer, both tall as well as very mobile and quick in the tackle .. midfield, two quality loanees from Chelsea and Arsenal, long term England youth regulars .. and we all know the abilities of Grant, though all too often our defenders looked loath to get stuck into him. 
    You get what you pay for to a certain extent. We have paid out a pittance and that is reflected in our squad. That is a reflection on the owners and not the management. Where the management is culpable is in matters of selection and tactics, given the limitations imposed by injuries. Bowyer needs to stick to a pattern of play, (NOT the <>) hopefully a 4 4 2 and as far as possible a settled side.
    Yesterday, just as McGeady after a poor start was getting into his stride he was pulled. Hemed came on for the last ten minutes, far too late to make any impact, Oztumer (sorry to say again) is too lightweight despite his ability to occasionally make a killer pass. We still  have a few injuries but sorry to say, Bowyer a t m is not making the best of the players he has available. He'll learn, but it needs to be soon soon and soon
    A really good Post Lincs

You have to learn from these games, 4-0 didnt highlight the actual game? OK could have been 7-1 or 7-2 maybe.

They had quality all over the pitch dont get me wrong but we have coped with that in the past, Brom, Brentford, Leeds

We were shit yesterday and shit Wednesday and lets not paper over it. Bowyer needs to talk the talk now (Based on his post match interview).

Ive loved watching Doherty but he was dog shit all game yesterday and im pretty sure hed be the first to admit it, first touch, 10 yd pass, giving ball away, and dont get me started on the fckin Loans performances we have bought in.

Ive been going 40 years now and seen some absolute shit and some really good times and had season ticket through thick and thin but the players are not doing it. Ive talked up this Bows era for the last 18 months and loved every minute of it but Bows is making mistakes as well (Free kick to waste time in last 30 seconds on Wednesday to prove it as ref added on a minute and they done what we should have PUT THE BALL IN THE FUCKING BOX FOR FUCK SAKE, TRY AND WIN A GAME)

Im really pissed off as we tried harder with lesser players on the pitch when we were using the kids and everyone knew we had an excuse.

Wednesday and Yesterday for Bows, JJ, and AM there was no excuse.

Pull your fingers out.
    Nice post and thanks for the kind words C P L .. like a lot of long term devotees you sound totally cheesed off and understandably so. It' not like we have not been through similar before and we have all had enough of it.
     Unfortunately our present problems won't be resolved (if they ever will) until the close season when ESI's intentions hopefully become clear(er). 
    It's obvious that escaping relegation is absolutely crucial to the club's future in the longer term.
    I agree with you that Bowyer needs to get the players up for much more attacking play and get some positivity back around the place. A T M his hangdog demeanour is reflected in the player's performances. Still, after all we DID do Luton 3-1 ((:>) .. enjoy (if possible) the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Aw, thanks for the mention, Lincs - THINK I know who you are - but I was pretty much monosyllabic on the long journey home and should apologise to my fellow travellers. 

I am beginning to raise my spirits( wine !) now and agree with your description of the Huddersfield team. 

Of course, we tend to forget that they have the parachute payment this season & seemingly made good use of it. But I was unaware of the pedigree of certain players they've recruited & appreciate the info.

It's been said time & time again that we are, in effect, a 1st division team on the whole - something I am apt to forget.

But there is a gulf as deep as the Mariana Trench between the kind of commitment, eyeballs out football we were playing back in the autumn and what is being served up now. It is what it is as Bow would say but we have to make changes in our mindset as well as on the pitch NOW. 

When I posted last night, I was unaware of Bow's "mea culpa" words but am heartened by his admission. He's a proud young man & will be hurting today just like us.

However, the difference is that we, the faithful, can do little to influence a revival, except to give our vocal support on matchdays. 

The challenge, should they wish to accept it, is for the gaffer & his squad to treat these final games of the season as if they are Play Off semis & to recreate the adrenaline filled performances we witnessed in 2019. If they can , I'm 100% certain that we, the fans, will give them the backing & noise they deserve to spur them on. 

Let's send Boro home shell shocked next Saturday !  
    Aw, thanks for the mention, Lincs - THINK I know who you are - but I was pretty much monosyllabic on the long journey home and should apologise to my fellow travellers. 

I am beginning to raise my spirits( wine !) now and agree with your description of the Huddersfield team. 

Of course, we tend to forget that they have the parachute payment this season & seemingly made good use of it. But I was unaware of the pedigree of certain players they've recruited & appreciate the info.

It's been said time & time again that we are, in effect, a 1st division team on the whole - something I am apt to forget.

But there is a gulf as deep as the Mariana Trench between the kind of commitment, eyeballs out football we were playing back in the autumn and what is being served up now. It is what it is as Bow would say but we have to make changes in our mindset as well as on the pitch NOW. 

When I posted last night, I was unaware of Bow's "mea culpa" words but am heartened by his admission. He's a proud young man & will be hurting today just like us.

However, the difference is that we, the faithful, can do little to influence a revival, except to give our vocal support on matchdays. 

The challenge, should they wish to accept it, is for the gaffer & his squad to treat these final games of the season as if they are Play Off semis & to recreate the adrenaline filled performances we witnessed in 2019. If they can , I'm 100% certain that we, the fans, will give them the backing & noise they deserve to spur them on. 

Brilliant post Fanny .. glad to hear you are in better form that y'day .. who am I lol .. all will be revealed .. soon .. hahahhahh .. stay positive please ((:>)
  • Options

Heartwarming stuff!
    Fanny is back o, o! o, o! Fanny is back...etc.

Hopefully we can hit the reset button on our season asap.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I'm not going to comment on the game, my players' marks paint the picture! The only footballing positive was Williams giving us hope with his introduction second half. The best bits were spending time with son and grandchildren, having a pre match chat with @FannyFanackapan and chewing the cud second half with @Lincsaddick.

Ten games to go, all cup finals until we are certain of safety. If the penny hadn't dropped already, the management team and players need to get their act together immediately if all the hard work of promotion last May is not to be undone.

I'll be on my annual pilgrimage to the Valley next week and then Hull the week after. COYRs you owe it to all us fans especially those that have put the miles in up and down the country in greater numbers this year, to get behind you!
    lovely to see you again after a while @RedChaser, you're such good company as ever ((:>) .. @Fanny Fanackapan  .. I saw you after the game and you were quite distressed, I've seen you sad after a loss but not as bad as this .. it's understandable after two long trips to Yorkshire and being subjected to two substandard performances. What can I say ?. After all the trials and tribulations of last season,the Wembley euphoria and the good start to this season, we have all come back down to earth with a bump. However, we are still in there and our fate is in our own hands do a certain extent. Still, we need Forest to get  result at 'Boro on Monday

The game? .. once more we started so slowly, disorganised and hesitantly, Bowyer DUMP THE DIAMOND  !! .. second half with a 4 4 2 ish we looked much more with it and gave the Terriers a fright or two .. 4-0 does not really reflect the game, especially in the first half of the second half. We gifted them the opener and could never recover from that. Having said that, we were second best almost throughout.

The plain fact is that Huddersfield have better players than us. They have the money and have spent a lot of it to try and get out of their own mess. 
    Thus .. Their keeper, a Dane on loan from Everton .. Simpson, the right back who was a member of Leicester's Premier winning side, Left back Toffolo, lots of money from Lincoln, a player we are reported as 'fancying' at one time .. Central defence, Stearman a vastly experienced Premier quality player and Schindler (not the 'list' man) their version of Paddy Bauer, both tall as well as very mobile and quick in the tackle .. midfield, two quality loanees from Chelsea and Arsenal, long term England youth regulars .. and we all know the abilities of Grant, though all too often our defenders looked loath to get stuck into him. 
    You get what you pay for to a certain extent. We have paid out a pittance and that is reflected in our squad. That is a reflection on the owners and not the management. Where the management is culpable is in matters of selection and tactics, given the limitations imposed by injuries. Bowyer needs to stick to a pattern of play, (NOT the <>) hopefully a 4 4 2 and as far as possible a settled side.
    Yesterday, just as McGeady after a poor start was getting into his stride he was pulled. Hemed came on for the last ten minutes, far too late to make any impact, Oztumer (sorry to say again) is too lightweight despite his ability to occasionally make a killer pass. We still  have a few injuries but sorry to say, Bowyer a t m is not making the best of the players he has available. He'll learn, but it needs to be soon soon and soon
    A really good Post Lincs

You have to learn from these games, 4-0 didnt highlight the actual game? OK could have been 7-1 or 7-2 maybe.

They had quality all over the pitch dont get me wrong but we have coped with that in the past, Brom, Brentford, Leeds

We were shit yesterday and shit Wednesday and lets not paper over it. Bowyer needs to talk the talk now (Based on his post match interview).

Ive loved watching Doherty but he was dog shit all game yesterday and im pretty sure hed be the first to admit it, first touch, 10 yd pass, giving ball away, and dont get me started on the fckin Loans performances we have bought in.

Ive been going 40 years now and seen some absolute shit and some really good times and had season ticket through thick and thin but the players are not doing it. Ive talked up this Bows era for the last 18 months and loved every minute of it but Bows is making mistakes as well (Free kick to waste time in last 30 seconds on Wednesday to prove it as ref added on a minute and they done what we should have PUT THE BALL IN THE FUCKING BOX FOR FUCK SAKE, TRY AND WIN A GAME)

Im really pissed off as we tried harder with lesser players on the pitch when we were using the kids and everyone knew we had an excuse.

Wednesday and Yesterday for Bows, JJ, and AM there was no excuse.

Pull your fingers out.
    Nice post and thanks for the kind words C P L .. like a lot of long term devotees you sound totally cheesed off and understandably so. It' not like we have not been through similar before and we have all had enough of it.
     Unfortunately our present problems won't be resolved (if they ever will) until the close season when ESI's intentions hopefully become clear(er). 
    It's obvious that escaping relegation is absolutely crucial to the club's future in the longer term.
    I agree with you that Bowyer needs to get the players up for much more attacking play and get some positivity back around the place. A T M his hangdog demeanour is reflected in the player's performances. Still, after all we DID do Luton 3-1 ((:>) .. enjoy (if possible) the rest of the season.
    Ahh mate I'm still enjoying the ride don't get me wrong, there's more to worry about in life for sure. 

I'm annoyed we are making it look a lot more harder than it should be through our own game plan every week. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    PWR. I saw the game on the tele. The score flattered Huddersfield, but not the result. The first three goals all seemed to stem from Oschilaja losing the ball, like he did against Luton last week? Or am I mistaken?   
    I think it’s harsh to blame Deji for the first. It all stemmed from McGeady failing to control a simple pass and then turning into a tackle. We should have been on a break away but instead the ball came back to Lapslie who had a chance to put his foot through it, or at least play forwards. Instead, as is the current trend with our midfield (revealing the lack of confidence in the team) he passed the buck backwards to the defence, i.e. Deji. A hoofed  clearance was what was needed but it looked like the ball was stuck under his feet a bit and he made split second bad call under pressure. He probably should have just poked it behind for a corner, but he was played into all sorts of mess by McGeady and Lapslie. 
  • Options
    am i going senile or is there no players marks thread this week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it’s gonna be a struggle as ever and will require a proper turnaround but first time this season I think the chances of staying up are less than going down .

40% 13th-21st ......................... 60% Relegation 

This is what I was going to post.  For the first time this season I think we more likely to go down than stay up.  It is far from over though, 10 games left.   A pick up in form will see us safe.   But I agree 60:40 is probably about right.
  • Options
    It's definitely there.
  • Options
    It's definitely there.
    I wouldn't suggest reading it though.  It's pretty grim, accurate but grim. 
  • Options
    I am buggered if I can see it,what is it near
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jeez- get a grip everyone. Pathetic losers' attitude on here that's worse and more damaging than the actual result. Apologies for my strong words to those that have gone to the last two matches. I can understand your anger but really, this is all too much.

Yes, we've lost 4-0 to a relegation rival.

Luton lost last week to us. Have they thrown in the towel? No and nor will we.

We're in a fight so everyone fucking fight. Stop moaning and pissing your pants. Too many babies on here.

The players need to be brave and the fans too. No reason then why we won't win our next game.

Whatever happened to the never say die spirit? 

Do one
  • Options
    I am buggered if I can see it,what is it near
    Are you looking at all the threads in the main menu, as it should be second from the top?
  • Options
    This week has been such a kick in the teeth. Proof if we needed it that we pretty much have a mid table league 1 squad (cheers Roland) and a rookie manager who is finding out the hard way that you need more than bollocks and bravado at this level.  January has given us a bunch of duds, and for the first time there is talk on the forums of heads going down after the second goal went in yesterday. It’s way too early to castigate our new owners but let’s just say they have a lot to prove in coming months. For the first time despite all our problems this season I feel like we are going down. But 30 points to play for. 10 cup finals and a few more twists and turns to come. Next two games are season defining. We need to dust ourselves down and get behind the boys with a passion on Saturday. COYR!
  • Options
    I have pm thread,closed match thread,bite size,negativity,lb reaction,km to huddersfield,relegation,is my lap top crap
  • Options
    i can get it on my phone so dont know whats going on here,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finally looked at the markings was Mcgeady really that bad,if so he has really faded,I always dreaded him playing against us,if he has not played for some time,maybe another game or two,but do we have that luxury that he might come good.If Pratley and Sarr are both absent much longer we are in trouble.
  • Options
    This week has been such a kick in the teeth. Proof if we needed it that we pretty much have a mid table league 1 squad (cheers Roland) and a rookie manager who is finding out the hard way that you need more than bollocks and bravado at this level.  January has given us a bunch of duds, and for the first time there is talk on the forums of heads going down after the second goal went in yesterday. It’s way too early to castigate our new owners but let’s just say they have a lot to prove in coming months. For the first time despite all our problems this season I feel like we are going down. But 30 points to play for. 10 cup finals and a few more twists and turns to come. Next two games are season defining. We need to dust ourselves down and get behind the boys with a passion on Saturday. COYR!
    Heads may have gone down in part because some of the players were unhappy with how that goal was deflected in - hard to see on the highlights if it was handball or not.
  • Options
    We don't have a mid table league 1 squad by any stretch of the imagination. 

Phillips
    Solly
    Matthews
    Sarr
    Pearce
    Purrington 
    Cullen
    Pratley 
    McGeady 
    Taylor
    And Williams

Where all heavily involved in the 2 play off final teams last season.  Haamed, Oztumer, Amos, Davies and Green all played in the championship last season.  Lockyer was one of the better center backs from "the best of the rest".  Lapslie and Morgan where in our squad last season. If all our problems are because of the rest, or someone I missed, I think your wrong. 

Any club in league 1 would bite our hands for our squad. 
  • Options
    Out the country and not returning till Thursday, Charlton really do know how to test a holiday.  Been massively out the loop and can only go on what I read on here.  Seems like the worst time to have suffered such a defeat and I just hope and pray that Bowyer can work his magic in training this week and Boro don’t get anything from 2mo night

We could need 4 wins out of 10 which is a big ask, but we have time to turn this around.  

We can’t perform anywhere near like we have done at Sheff Wed and y’day, so the margin for error is tight.

we went on a great run at the end of last season.  Praying we dig deep and find that again.  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I have calmed down a bit and can see some positives. Williams being a big one. The fact remains, whilst I don't think our defence is awful, it makes too many stupid errors, too often and it basically means we have to play more on the front foot than we do. Confidence has to play some part in that and Bowyers terrible tactics on Wednesday contributed I think.

If Aneke is fit, he should have started instead of McGeady. We do lack some physicality and we need to try to find a way to get it in the side. If it doesn't work, make the sub, but we need it. Lapslie was as awful as he was good against Luton. That pass to Oshilaja that led to the first was terrible. Despite on paper being a more positive set up, our front players are too easily isolated away from home and we started completely on the back foot.

This approach seems to be less of an issue at home so hopefully a week's prep and a poor Boro might give us that important win we desperately need. Doughty is going backwards which is perfectly normal in a young player, but he really needs a break. We really missed Pratley and Sarr. 
  • Options
    AddicRam said:
    It appears we have been sussed out using the 5-3-2 and the 4-4-2 diamond. .....

.....Although probarbly too late for a change of system I wouldnt mind having wingers/inside forwards in a 4-2-3-1.

Strongest XI? (Bonne if we need a target man)

Taylor
            Green,    Williams,.  Mcgready
                        Pratley, Cullen
    Purrington, Sarr, Lockyer, Matthews
                             Phillips

Well said.
    Formation - my son reports 4-2-3-1 is quite a good for the current squad in FIFA20 😃 Agree with previous comments about Osh - maybe RW instead of McGeady who looks well off the pace & Bonne for Taylor at half time with Oz up middle for Williams when he puffed out.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    T said:
    Bowyer is caught between two stools, he's not sure whether to try and set up and try and not get beaten or whether to try and win.  I don't envy his position either.  This is very different to last season.

Which is nearly always the case when a team is on the slide. 

On balance, we might be a bit better off if we were able to field some of our better ball players together (Williams, Oztumer, McGeady) and least play more of the game in the oppo half rather than hoping Taylor will carve out something for himself. 

Maybe a 4-2-3-1; Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington - Pratley Cullen - Williams Oztumer McGeady - Taylor. Subs like Doughty, Bonne, Lapslie, Green can come on and change the shape if need be. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Were our set pieces/ corners, not up to the desired standard, or did we just not get any?