Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Where our set pieces/ corners, not up to the desired standard, or did we just not get any?
    Not up to the usual standard apart from one where Pearce had a free header yet put it back across goal (for Taylor to try and stab home) rather than having an attempt on effort himself
  • Options
    T said:
    Bowyer is caught between two stools, he's not sure whether to try and set up and try and not get beaten or whether to try and win.  I don't envy his position either.  This is very different to last season.

The teams below us are in in the brown stuff so have little choice but to roll the dice we're clinging keep the points lead we've got by trying to squeeze points out of teams and risk losing and we really don't have the players to be able to do that. 

When is Pratley back? 
    At the moment we are doing neither being hard to beat nor attacking.  As I said previously I don't really care which way they go but what ever they do they need more intent and aggression in doing it. 
  • Options
    I watched the Sheff Weds game on a stream, and our corners with didn’t clear the first man, or go straight into into the keepers hands, I mean I know corners are difficult, but these guys are professionals!

They've been pretty bad all season, apart from Gallagher's goal against Stoke back in August
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Southbank said:
    Our throw ins are also very poor. They are usually taken very slowly, giving the opposition time to mark up, and more often than not ending up giving the ball back to them. 
    Our players do seem to be reluctant to move for each other at throw ins.

Perhaps they are knackered and grateful for a rest.

EDIT: I've noticed this for a long time now. Not just this season.
  • Options
    Assuming Sarr and Pratley are fit, this is the team we need for Middlesbro.
    Phillips
    Pearce, Pratley, Sarr
    Matthews, Cullen, Purrington
    Williams Green
    Bonne Taylor

Pratley to bolster central defence, 2 proper full backs, and 2 midfielders/wingers  available for the out ball.

• Options
    T said:
    Bowyer is caught between two stools, he's not sure whether to try and set up and try and not get beaten or whether to try and win.  I don't envy his position either.  This is very different to last season.

The teams below us are in in the brown stuff so have little choice but to roll the dice we're clinging keep the points lead we've got by trying to squeeze points out of teams and risk losing and we really don't have the players to be able to do that. 

When is Pratley back? 
    Bowyer has struggled since September with his away tactics, especially against the lower teams. We're not good enough to dominate possession and play, we're not an aggressive "in your face" side, but we're also not good enough defensively to park the bus and nick a goal. Instead we try to do a bit of everything, and generally fail, away from home we seem to lack an identity.

Yes, some of that is down to the personnel we have available, but coaching and tactics do come into it too. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Assuming Sarr and Pratley are fit, this is the team we need for Middlesbro.
    Phillips
    Pearce, Pratley, Sarr
    Matthews, Cullen, Purrington
    Williams Green
    Bonne Taylor

Pratley to bolster central defence, 2 proper full backs, and 2 midfielders/wingers  available for the out ball.

Yeah I think that’s close to what I would go for, which is probably 

Phillips 
           Pearce Pratley Sarr
    Mathews                Purrington 
                Cullen Davis
                   Williams
                Taylor Bonne
  • Options
    I sadly noticed this morning that more 
    “ Knob Ends” want Lee Bowyer Sacked.
    yet before we had our unfortunate injuries and 
    finally Got rid of Roland Rat, most people thought 
    Bowyer was God.
    having said all that many clubs in a relegation battle 
    have White Flag muppets in their fan base,
    that cannot see the potential big picture.

we still still could swap  places with Huddersfield 
    If you look at both teams next three Fixtures.
    i remain positive and confident we can get out of this with  Bowyer and JJ. 👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time to go back to basics. 
    Too many players look confused as to what is expected of them in a diamond formation. 
    I would go 442.
    The four in midfield should be Pratley and Cullen in the centre with Green wind right and Williams on the left.
    Taylor and Bonne up front. 
    I think the players would be much more comfortable with that set up.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    clb74 said:
    At the end of the day we expect too much from this team.
    Bowyer in his 2nd full season plying his trade having f@ck alll money to spend .
    Weve got players giving there all but some are just not good enough for this division.
    Williams one of our best players only being able to play half the game for half the season.
    9 points not a bad result for us in February its just unfortunate 2-3 teams matched 9 or better in feb.
    This season was always going to be a long season, staying up will be a massive achievement and i need to remember that.
    Agree mate.  As the season has gone on, for me, we’ve probably only got 4 players capable of performing well enough at this level.  Philips, Cullen, Williams and Taylor.  One of them has an horrendous injury record so we knew what we were getting.  Taylor was out for a period and it was clear after the Luton game he is our talisman.  I like to think we may have had a few more points on the board had he stayed fit, but it’s all hypotheticals.  Cullen got injured at the worst time and left Pratley in charge of a midfield that was made up of Morgan, Vennings and Dempsey in certain games.

The rest give it their all, but are either not up to the standard, or can’t consistently perform to the level needed

We’re all down.  It was a horrible couple of results and I am sure Bowyer will take a look at what he needs to put right this week.

The loan players we’ve brought in, aren’t as strong as the ones we’ve lost imo, so I would also say we’re slightly hamstrung there.  For me, Leko is better than Green, and it seems Gallagher had much more for us than McGeady.  

All we can do now is what we always do best and give the team all the support they need at home and believe in Bowyer for the run in.  Typical Charlton don’t do things easy.  I’m looking forward to getting back down there on Saturday 
    Spot on. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This week has been such a kick in the teeth. Proof if we needed it that we pretty much have a mid table league 1 squad (cheers Roland) and a rookie manager who is finding out the hard way that you need more than bollocks and bravado at this level.  January has given us a bunch of duds, and for the first time there is talk on the forums of heads going down after the second goal went in yesterday. It’s way too early to castigate our new owners but let’s just say they have a lot to prove in coming months. For the first time despite all our problems this season I feel like we are going down. But 30 points to play for. 10 cup finals and a few more twists and turns to come. Next two games are season defining. We need to dust ourselves down and get behind the boys with a passion on Saturday. COYR!
    We don't have a mid table league 1 squad by any stretch of the imagination. 

Phillips
    Solly
    Matthews
    Sarr
    Pearce
    Purrington 
    Cullen
    Pratley 
    McGeady 
    Taylor
    And Williams

Where all heavily involved in the 2 play off final teams last season.  Haamed, Oztumer, Amos, Davies and Green all played in the championship last season.  Lockyer was one of the better center backs from "the best of the rest".  Lapslie and Morgan where in our squad last season. If all our problems are because of the rest, or someone I missed, I think your wrong. 

Any club in league 1 would bite our hands for our squad. 
    Need to agree to disagree I guess. For my money, if ESI decide in the summer to finance a squad that is capable of a mid to top Championship level finish next season, the only players from our current squad that I’d definitely want to keep are Phillips, Cullen and Taylor. At a push, I’d take a chance on Matthews, Sarr and Lockyer but they’d be squad players if we were serious about having promotion credentials. Jonny of course has the ability to operate at that level but he is made of glass and the stats suggest that when he has actually played he has contributed nada in terms of goals or assists. Young Alfie needs a season out of here to learn his trade on loan.  The rest will either be past it by next season or will not be up to top half championship standard if we are being harsh but fair.  Just my opinion for what it’s worth. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Southbank said:
    Our throw ins are also very poor. They are usually taken very slowly, giving the opposition time to mark up, and more often than not ending up giving the ball back to them. 

With the odd exception it's been the case for about 30 years!

We get a throw in and our players decide to play musical statues - they're waiting for the music to start again so that they can move around.
    A quick blast of Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf wouldn't go amiss 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    LenGlover said:
    Southbank said:

With the odd exception it's been the case for about 30 years!

We get a throw in and our players decide to play musical statues - they're waiting for the music to start again so that they can move around.
    A quick blast of Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf wouldn't go amiss 😉
    A quick blast of "Show No Mercy" by Slayer would give them a kick up the arse and also tell them what they need to do!
  • Options
    Can't comment on Sheff Weds or Huddersfield games, but the throw-ins got a lot better recently after the last time it was observed how poor they were. In the Barnlsey and Luton games they were taken quicker and more effectively with players moving. I don't think that's an area of concern among other things.
  • Options
    Didnt Lapslie's goal come from a quick Matthews throw?
  • Options
    Could only bring myself to watch the highlights today. What was Oshilaja thinking about for the first goal. ‘Kin schoolboy defending. As @Elthamaddick said, it’s been a shit week all round. We’ve just got to win these games against teams around us. Saturday is massive 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Could only bring myself to watch the highlights today. What was Oshilaja thinking about for the first goal. ‘Kin schoolboy defending. As @Elthamaddick said, it’s been a shit week all round. We’ve just got to win these games against teams around us. Saturday is massive 
    We've just played them mate it's Boro Saturday 😉
  • Options
    We took quick, short free-kicks several times on Saturday, and I have no idea why. Nobody was ready and just about all of them resulted in us losing possession within two passes. 
    At least if you're knackered, give yourself 15 seconds to breathe and let other players find a better position. Totally wasteful.
  • Options
    Where our set pieces/ corners, not up to the desired standard, or did we just not get any?
    Not up to the usual standard apart from one where Pearce had a free header yet put it back across goal (for Taylor to try and stab home) rather than having an attempt on effort himself
    What usual standard is this? Our set pieces have been woeful for months.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Were our set pieces/ corners, not up to the desired standard, or did we just not get any?
    In anticipation of a whoosh.......

Are they ever ? I didnt believe the early season stats saying we were one of the best "set piece" teams. Total bunkem. Our corners are woeful. Usually dont beat the first defender, and when they do its only because there are so high that they beat everyone & go out for a goal kick. When not at a game & following it on twitter or on here me & Golfie jnr just despair at the amount of times we read......."Charlton have a corner. Cullen takes. It is cleared"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    One player doesn't make a team, but in our current plight, Pratley could be the man with the experience and endeavour to inspire those around him and turn the ship around. It will be a shame if he has to play centre half, because we need him more in midfield.
    I don't understand how Boywer can say that he doesn't know how Pratley is progressing because he hasn't been at the training ground since last Tuesday. Surely someone could send him a telegram or morse code or something!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This week has been such a kick in the teeth. Proof if we needed it that we pretty much have a mid table league 1 squad (cheers Roland) and a rookie manager who is finding out the hard way that you need more than bollocks and bravado at this level.  January has given us a bunch of duds, and for the first time there is talk on the forums of heads going down after the second goal went in yesterday. It’s way too early to castigate our new owners but let’s just say they have a lot to prove in coming months. For the first time despite all our problems this season I feel like we are going down. But 30 points to play for. 10 cup finals and a few more twists and turns to come. Next two games are season defining. We need to dust ourselves down and get behind the boys with a passion on Saturday. COYR!

Phillips
    Solly
    Matthews
    Sarr
    Pearce
    Purrington 
    Cullen
    Pratley 
    McGeady 
    Taylor
    And Williams

Where all heavily involved in the 2 play off final teams last season.  Haamed, Oztumer, Amos, Davies and Green all played in the championship last season.  Lockyer was one of the better center backs from "the best of the rest".  Lapslie and Morgan where in our squad last season. If all our problems are because of the rest, or someone I missed, I think your wrong. 

Need to agree to disagree I guess. For my money, if ESI decide in the summer to finance a squad that is capable of a mid to top Championship level finish next season, the only players from our current squad that I’d definitely want to keep are Phillips, Cullen and Taylor. At a push, I’d take a chance on Matthews, Sarr and Lockyer but they’d be squad players if we were serious about having promotion credentials. Jonny of course has the ability to operate at that level but he is made of glass and the stats suggest that when he has actually played he has contributed nada in terms of goals or assists. Young Alfie needs a season out of here to learn his trade on loan.  The rest will either be past it by next season or will not be up to top half championship standard if we are being harsh but fair.  Just my opinion for what it’s worth. 
    Your not wrong, but my point was they aren't midtable league 1.  They aren't midtable championship either, they are what they are. Top six league 1, bottom 6 championship. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Phillips
    Solly
    Matthews
    Sarr
    Pearce
    Purrington 
    Cullen
    Pratley 
    McGeady 
    Taylor
    And Williams

Your not wrong, but my point was they aren't midtable league 1.  They aren't midtable championship either, they are what they are. Top six league 1, bottom 6 championship. 
    Think we’re agreeing furiously. I would say though that apart from the names I’ve mentioned, the balance of the squad are not top league 1 standard. Lapslie, Morgan, Aneke, Purrington etc are mid to lower league 1 in my humble opinion although I dare say some would beg to differ. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Time to go back to basics. 
    Too many players look confused as to what is expected of them in a diamond formation. 
    I would go 442.
    The four in midfield should be Pratley and Cullen in the centre with Green wind right and Williams on the left.
    Taylor and Bonne up front. 
    I think the players would be much more comfortable with that set up.
    100%, and if Sarr and Pratley are back my optimism will return somewhat. Already nervous for Saturday. Thank god for Forest’s equaliser tonight.