Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The fans have been behind the players but ultimately it's hard to ignore their shortcomings. Their is no continuity in our team selection and we just look disjointed.

We've scraped a few wins but haven't really looked convincing. I'm not sure blind optimism will keep us up?

Of course blind optimism won't keep us up, but neither will wibble bitching.

• Options
    How many more top 6 teams are we playing? We’re more likely to get points out of those than against our relegation rivals...
  • Options
    Green, Doughty, McGeady and Oztumer were awful. Only Matthews and Cullen who started had decent games. Went with the diamond but lost every second ball, massively missing Pratley in the middle. Oshilija played ok but made mistakes which cost us. Lapslie runs but lacks quality. 

Not replacing Gallagher is going to cost us, Smith was obviously a pointless signing. 

I’m not calling for Bowyer out but he needs to up his game because I can’t see how we get out of this after this week. 
  • Options
    This is now a 10 game season,we have Boro and Hull,next up,minimum 4 points required,this could all change very quickly,keep the faith,most of all keep singing.
    I recall going to Hull, in protest against Roland, wearing a Roland Rat mask. We lost 6-0. I remember that season our away song was "We're the Charlton, the mighty Charlton, we never win away!" Let's hope we can get our form improved against Boro, as at present after watching two games in four days, like Fanny, I'm not feeling the joy of going to Hull to watch this level of football at £33 entry. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    JamesSeed said:
    At game. Great pub beforehand made it worthwhile.

Wow, that must have been one hell of a pub.
    I have always looked at long distance away games as a day out on the piss with my mates and family with some football in the middle, which more often than not, is a bit of inconvenience. If away fans this season aren’t finding some pleasure in the pub beforehand or the train journey either side and are only trekking to Huddersfield, Sheffield, Middlesbrough etc to watch the game then they must be having a really bad time....
    Its the booze, mates and day out that keeps me sane.
    I try to blur out the football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    At the game. Poor first half. Too defensive and didnt /don't play a pressing game. Second half gave it a go but didn't have the confidence, quality and staying power.
     Huddesfield fan in the pub b4 the game  told me if you let us play we are dangerous but can't finish. Well us digging out Grant solved that, think that worked against us!!
    The real problem is the quality of the squad,  lack of confidence, belief and today lack of fight.
    I believe Lee and Jacko are right for the club. Have felt for a long time that it would be good to get some experienced advice to support them. Accept that it sounds easy to say it now. I want us to stick with them though.
    Genuinely not sure if a better shape / gameplan can get us to survive. I am not sure Lee knows what to do.
     Or is it  the quality of the squad that will be our undoing thanks to Roland and a shite January window.
    Interesting chat with 'town' supporter in the pub. They still have many premiership tourist supporters who think they are total shit this season he says he tries to explain that this relegation fight is what being a town supporter involves  and has to live with from time to time. Wise words and rings bells. He has a seriously debilitating disease but was so positive in general so gives me perspective on a shite day.
    Yes we have rid ourselves almost and hopefully of Roland. Jury is out on ESI and Southall etc.
    Ever the glass half full Charlton supporter.
    Shit day
    Coyr! 
    I have always been a Glass half Empty fan for over 50 years since I first went to the valley as a tiny boy
    with my dad.
    I do think that Lee Bowyer and JJ do know how
    to keep us up !!
    COYR.

And you probably supported the Fraeye appointment.
    What the F—K does that mean 

Probably Supported Fraeye appointed ?

“ obviously life here Jim but not as we know it “
    😂😂😂
  • Options
    Playing out from Phillips with Pearce and Oshilaja didn't work from kick-off but we didn't adapt and mix styles, persisted with it, gifted them a goal. No idea what Lapslie was thinking with the pass back to Oshilaja.

We were dreadful in the first 45. Couldn't or didn't want to get out of our own half. No width, no urgency or direct or explosive play on the counter. Lucky not be three or four down at the interval with some of the opportunities Huddersfield had.

Second half, much better with Williams, should have at least equalised. Another sloppy goal with 15 minutes left and they just killed us off on the counter.

Other thoughts, god do I feel for Dillon playing behind that back four.

Pearce is nowhere near good enough, neither is Oshilaja. Doughty isn't a left back, we need to let Matthews get forward more.

Lapslie isn't good enough.

Bonne and Taylor need to start upfront together. Williams has to start.
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    Although this season is looking to be heading south, we need to remember that we started with a threadbare squad and a budget dwarfed by many others in the league, even if early results gave us a false sense of security.  The new owners can't be expected to turn things round overnight so even when they came in the rest of the campaign was going to be hard. And at least Duchatalet has gone, so it really it could be a hell of a lot worse. 

The first sentance i agree with you 100% 

Then it goes tits up Duchatalet still owns The Valley and training ground.

One thing keeps coming back to me i read on CL a quote from Roland which was said just after ESI took control of the club........ENJOY THE MOMENT......

Is Roland still dealing the cards .

Bowyer is good enough to get Charlton out of this mess once again, but its the men that sit in the boardroom we have to worry about once again.
  • Options
    No usage of Oztumer for me. We need Williams to play but he is hacked down so much I can’t see him playing all 10 remaining games.shame no Lockyer in our most important game next week.think right about Doughty being rested.come on so much this season but decision making not good enough yet.think we will be seeing more of a battling midfield hopefully Pratley back can’t see why Davis getting so much stick one poor clearance against Luton but otherwise steady performances.not great not shit.I lost count of the amount of clearances yesterday that went back to Huddersfield.Think it’s down to us Middlesbrough and Hull now.The only thing we can do as fans is get behind our players COYR we can stay up. 
  • Options
    Pratley and Sarr CB pairing if they're both fit next game.
  • Options
    Yesterday was easily the most annoyed I've been after a game this season, first half we should've been a few goals down but luckily we weren't. First 25mins of the second half we were on top but our failure to capitalise on chances cost us. Once the second goal went in heads began to drop. 
    It was the first time this season I'd noticed players bickering between one another, I'm hoping this is stamped out asap. 

The saving grace is that all the teams around us have had amazing months and we're still out of the relegation zone, hopefully this form won't continue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Pratley is fit we badly need him in midfield. 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    The fans have been behind the players but ultimately it's hard to ignore their shortcomings. Their is no continuity in our team selection and we just look disjointed.

We've scraped a few wins but haven't really looked convincing. I'm not sure blind optimism will keep us up?

Of course blind optimism won't keep us up, but neither will wibble bitching.

The fans will get behind the team and the players will do their best - let's hope it's enough.
  • Options
    Yesterday was easily the most annoyed I've been after a game this season, first half we should've been a few goals down but luckily we weren't. First 25mins of the second half we were on top but our failure to capitalise on chances cost us. Once the second goal went in heads began to drop. 
    It was the first time this season I'd noticed players bickering between one another, I'm hoping this is stamped out asap. 

The saving grace is that all the teams around us have had amazing months and we're still out of the relegation zone, hopefully this form won't continue. 
    I felt the same about the whole thing - annoyed!

We're not the best team in the world and we were certainly outplayed yesterday but we are usually in with a shout. 

And then comes the basic error and general unprofessionalism.

OK mistakes happen but they seem to keep happening game after game. 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Not using this as an excuse in any shape or form but the vast improvement of some of the teams that were (and still are), below us recently is surely almost unprecedented....they have all given themselves a chance now with vastly improved results.....whereas, at such a critical moment, we have unquestionably gone pear shaped.
    I realise I’m stating the bleeding obvious but it is most unusual that they should ALL be on the up.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Is Pratley still one booking away from a two match suspension?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Not sure if it's wiped clean now or after the Boro game. 
  • Options

This is the pitiful truth. We can’t pass the ball accurately. We can’t control the ball properly. And in possession, we are dullards.

Watch closely, and each pass is just slightly wrong for the runner: he has to check or divert for the ball. Which he can’t control cleanly. Those two touches are enough for our opponents to pounce, and seize possession.

Watch our player with ball at feet, approaching the box. You can see him stuttering, mentally frozen – what should I do? The ball is lost.

The greatest pleasure this season is admiring the fluency of our opponents, the way they pass and move from defence to attack. Brentford, Swansea, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and others. Quick moves, instinctive runs, carving space, shooting at goal.

That is beyond our technical ability. We are ponderous, slow, cautious. Incapable.

Yet, fellow Lifers will recall the first 30 minutes at home against Forest back in August. We were on fire, rapid and incisive: cutting in attack. That should be the benchmark, the way to play. Our best opponents do all that naturally, smoothly, routinely, every single game.

Since then, we in the Covered End have watched, aghast, many second halves with us not making a single shot at goal. That is pathetic.

Our defence is a shambles. Even with injuries cured, we have no effective midfield. We are physically weak – Oztumer and Cullen are brushed off the ball – simply unable to win a tackle and thread a pass from here to there. No movement from the strikers; Taylor is muscling for possession far out wide when he should be in the box, served by a cross he’ll never receive.

We have an attacking throw-in. You can see the mental cogs grinding: what should I do? He throws it back to midfield – and back to our keeper. Who hoofs it out of play.

Come on, for God’s sake. Learn from our skilful, flowing, winning opponents. We are dull, frozen men: a regiment of shadows. Those hopeless loans! I have no interest in the platitudes of our new owners, no interest in their homely Tweets, nor their prudent purse or vacuous five-year plan.

It is stark and simple. They should spend money on skilful players, tough and intelligent men: players capable of bursting the net at the Covered End. 

Excellent...well said. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Talal said:

Yes I think the deadline for 10 bookings is after next Saturday.
  • Options
    A typical football fan reaction.
    There are no grey areas with many fans.
    We're either going to win promotion/make the play offs or we're going down.

I was saying for months that we were in a false position.
    Many fans said we weren't, that there was no teams much better than us.
    I agreed back then, but countered that there were also no teams much worse than us.

A few weeks ago the majority of Wigan, Barnsley and Luton fans thought they were down.
    I doubt many of their fans expected the ridiculous turnarounds that they have seen.

There are 10 games to go, it's going to be tight (it always was).
    If us fans give 100% vocal support to our team and put some pressure on the officials (always works for Millwall), we can get out of this.

I'll be shouting the boys on louder than ever.
    They really need us right now. 
    Anything is possible.

What's grim is that after drawing at Barnsley in August, we've since lost at Wigan, Luton, Boro, Stoke and Huddersfield, and all with terrible performances. The sort of away games which we ought to be getting points from, the crucial 6 pointers, we're consistently losing. It's putting massive pressure on our home form
    This is exactly why the fans total vocal backing may just make the difference.
    The players have had great backing at away games, with little return...
    Yes, but I'm talking about 16,000 getting totally behind the team and screaming for every decision.
  • Options
    Fans will find it difficult with players who don’t seen to care. I suspect Bowyer knows this too and I would be surprised to see McGeady again. I think our midfield is the worst in the league now Gallagher is gone. A fit Williams and the return of Pratley should help. In a back 4 Doughty cannot play left back. Hopefully the defence can hold out and Taylor and Bonne can score enough goals but I’m doubtful because of the service. We lack creativity, Oztumer and McGeady just don’t cut it.