Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    At the game. Poor first half. Too defensive and didnt /don't play a pressing game. Second half gave it a go but didn't have the confidence, quality and staying power.
     Huddesfield fan in the pub b4 the game  told me if you let us play we are dangerous but can't finish. Well us digging out Grant solved that, think that worked against us!!
    The real problem is the quality of the squad,  lack of confidence, belief and today lack of fight.
    I believe Lee and Jacko are right for the club. Have felt for a long time that it would be good to get some experienced advice to support them. Accept that it sounds easy to say it now. I want us to stick with them though.
    Genuinely not sure if a better shape / gameplan can get us to survive. I am not sure Lee knows what to do.
     Or is it  the quality of the squad that will be our undoing thanks to Roland and a shite January window.
    Interesting chat with 'town' supporter in the pub. They still have many premiership tourist supporters who think they are total shit this season he says he tries to explain that this relegation fight is what being a town supporter involves  and has to live with from time to time. Wise words and rings bells. He has a seriously debilitating disease but was so positive in general so gives me perspective on a shite day.
    Yes we have rid ourselves almost and hopefully of Roland. Jury is out on ESI and Southall etc.
    Ever the glass half full Charlton supporter.
    Shit day
    Coyr! 
    I have always been a Glass half Empty fan for over 50 years since I first went to the valley as a tiny boy
    with my dad.
    I do think that Lee Bowyer and JJ do know how
    to keep us up !!
    COYR.
  • Options
    My favourite song of the day
    Were Charlton athletic we want to go home 
  • Options
    A typical football fan reaction.
    There are no grey areas with many fans.
    We're either going to win promotion/make the play offs or we're going down.

I was saying for months that we were in a false position.
    Many fans said we weren't, that there was no teams much better than us.
    I agreed back then, but countered that there were also no teams much worse than us.

A few weeks ago the majority of Wigan, Barnsley and Luton fans thought they were down.
    I doubt many of their fans expected the ridiculous turnarounds that they have seen.

There are 10 games to go, it's going to be tight (it always was).
    If us fans give 100% vocal support to our team and put some pressure on the officials (always works for Millwall), we can get out of this.

I'll be shouting the boys on louder than ever.
    They really need us right now. 
    Anything is possible.

We could possibly stay up but I'm struggling to think of three worse teams than us.
  • Options

I agreed back then, but countered that there were also no teams much worse than us.

A few weeks ago the majority of Wigan, Barnsley and Luton fans thought they were down.
    I doubt many of their fans expected the ridiculous turnarounds that they have seen.

If us fans give 100% vocal support to our team and put some pressure on the officials (always works for Millwall), we can get out of this.

Anything is possible.

We could possibly stay up but I'm struggling to think of three worse teams than us.
    Hull City Barnsley Middlesbrough 

• Options

Anything is possible.

What's grim is that after drawing at Barnsley in August, we've since lost at Wigan, Luton, Boro, Stoke and Huddersfield, and all with terrible performances. The sort of away games which we ought to be getting points from, the crucial 6 pointers, we're consistently losing. It's putting massive pressure on our home form
    This is exactly why the fans total vocal backing may just make the difference.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited February 2020
    Schoolboy defending for the first goal, not much better for their second & third. Id rather see Solly at LB than Doughty......that formation was frankly shambolic. I hope LB learns a valuable lesson from this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A 4-0 capitulation to a relegation rival puts us down IMO. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    What an absolutely shit day for results. We lost 4-0 to relegation rivals Huddersfield, allowing them to go three points clear of us. Ex-Addick, Grant getting a brace as predictable as it is depressing. Wigan and Reading both won whilst Stoke, Luton and Blackburn all picked up points. It's still in our hands but only just; another week like this one and it won't be any more.

Palace won to effectively end any relegation worries they might have. West Ham won to take them out of the bottom three. Millwall claimed a point after being behind and actually went a place up the table.  

Elsewhere, other ex-Addicks Regan Charles-Cook and Joe Piggott both managed to do what none of our players seem to be capable of,

Some days I fucking hate football. Today is one of those days.

Straw clutching at the finest, with all due respect.

The smoggies win the game in hand on Monday we go down one place, Stoke are only one goal worse off than us.
  • Options
    timken said:
    I suppose all you negative bedwetters believe liverpool are crap as well [3-0 down after 75 mins as i type this]
    Where are the positives?

• Options
    The idiots attacking Matt Southall on twitter are embarrassing. 

Perhaps Southall needs to keep a lower profile.
  • Options
    Thought Huddersfield looked a top of table side based on the way they bossed the play. They always seemed to find a man in SPACE whereas our passes were in the main to a player with no space (a town player 3 yards away) and possession was either lost or the ball played back to the back 5/4 and inevitably back to Dillon who was also put under pressure, which is how the first goal came about. Huddersfield were quality but let's.not get this out of proportion. They started the day on the same number of points 35 games into a season. To me that makes us about equal. As can be seen with many results involving teams around us, that if they turn up they can beat anyone including the top team ala West Brom v Wigan. We are in a very worrying position, there is no other way to view it. Our form is not that of the teams around us so the odds are against us staying up. I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. I hope that Bowyer can do something amazing over the next 10 games but fear he doesn't have the experience or squad to play to his plans. 

Having watched at Hillsboro and again today, it's a tough week. I seriously hope the player's can pick themselves up to give the fans something to cheer about (because it's needed).

As an aside, it was slightly amusing that Karlan's song incorporates their amusement at having bought him from Charlton Athletic! Less amusing were his two well taken goals. 

Tough times ahead, but it's what being a fan is all too often about. Onto the next episode. 

If this was a tough week we're doomed for the rest of the season.

Whilst we are bottom of the table and all games are hard, this week I'd like to have got 3 points.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    At the game. Poor first half. Too defensive and didnt /don't play a pressing game. Second half gave it a go but didn't have the confidence, quality and staying power.
     Huddesfield fan in the pub b4 the game  told me if you let us play we are dangerous but can't finish. Well us digging out Grant solved that, think that worked against us!!
    The real problem is the quality of the squad,  lack of confidence, belief and today lack of fight.
    I believe Lee and Jacko are right for the club. Have felt for a long time that it would be good to get some experienced advice to support them. Accept that it sounds easy to say it now. I want us to stick with them though.
    Genuinely not sure if a better shape / gameplan can get us to survive. I am not sure Lee knows what to do.
     Or is it  the quality of the squad that will be our undoing thanks to Roland and a shite January window.
    Interesting chat with 'town' supporter in the pub. They still have many premiership tourist supporters who think they are total shit this season he says he tries to explain that this relegation fight is what being a town supporter involves  and has to live with from time to time. Wise words and rings bells. He has a seriously debilitating disease but was so positive in general so gives me perspective on a shite day.
    Yes we have rid ourselves almost and hopefully of Roland. Jury is out on ESI and Southall etc.
    Ever the glass half full Charlton supporter.
    Shit day
    Coyr! 
    I have always been a Glass half Empty fan for over 50 years since I first went to the valley as a tiny boy
    with my dad.
    I do think that Lee Bowyer and JJ do know how
    to keep us up !!
    COYR.

And you probably supported the Fraeye appointment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our season begins next Saturday. We need to approach it, not with a negative, trying to avoid relegation approach, but with a positive, chance of playing in the Championship next season, approach.
    Lets approach the next ten games as if they were play off games to get promoted into the Championship.

• Options
    At game. Great pub beforehand made it worthwhile.
    Agree Bow/JJ doing what they can with players that did not look up for it yesterday. Huddersfield pressed hard and exposed our poor we are. Too many bad performances all round. They kept ball where we couldn’t. They scrapped for the ball where we didn’t bother or gave up. Too slow, not moving enough into space. 
    A lot of people paid good money to get there, sounded great and professional footballers were MIA. We’ll be lucky to stay up.
  • Options
    Our season begins next Saturday. We need to approach it, not with a negative, trying to avoid relegation approach, but with a positive, chance of playing in the Championship next season, approach.
    Lets approach the next ten games as if they were play off games to get promoted into the Championship.

I dont know about anyone else who is confident of staying up but thats what I've been doing for months!!

I'm not stupid, I can see the gap between us and the relegation zone, I can see the form of the other sides so know there is the potential to be relegated

Aint going to entertain it till it happens though as its a bloody defeatist attitude
  • Options
    A really poor day at the office. Taking a step back I would have taken where we are now in terms of points and league position if you offered it at the start of the season. The main overriding issue I have is that it feels massively like MS and ESI gambled that they could cheap out in January and we would be fine, looks like it has the potential to backfire hugely. Hope I’m wrong. COYR.
  • Options
    The fans have been behind the players but ultimately it's hard to ignore their shortcomings. Their is no continuity in our team selection and we just look disjointed.

We've scraped a few wins but haven't really looked convincing. I'm not sure blind optimism will keep us up?