Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton | Sat 29 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Went to Sheffield in the week, and think we played worse there than we did at Huddersfield. Unfortunately we got what we deserved from both games.

Providing no one returns from injury, I would mix it up slightly on Saturday;

Phillips
    Matthews Oshilaja Pearce Purrington
                  Cullen Davis Williams
             Taylor     Bonne     Doughty

Doughty's pace running at Boro's makeshift right back Howson (centre mid by trade), and Taylor can work off the right hand side (which he tends to do anyway) to give him more space to work with, which he isn't getting at the moment, and hopefully he'll see more of the ball.
  • Options
    Is Jake foster-caskey injured again 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Strangely, I thought we were better against Huddersfield than against Wednesday. There was a spell before they got their second where it looked like we would get back in it. The problem for me was the start, we just allowed them to get on the front foot too easily. For the opening goal, Laplie was just as much at fault as Oshilaja, but ultimately it stemmed from lack of options going forwards. 50/50 challenges and our forward options are too limited. 

I do think Sarr would make a difference. Crap luck that he has been injured. I would not have a problem with us being negative if we defended better, but we are what we are and trying to keep teams out without challenging them at the other end enough is suicide with the players we have. When we attack away from home we need a few gut busting runs to get numbers forwards, too many of ours hold back. I'm sure we are fit enough so it has to be negative mindset. The manager can absolutely do something about this, including during the game with his substitutions. But for some reason, he seems to share the same mindset!
    :
  • Options
    I take on board the comments about Oshi being given the ball in a stupid position for the first, but it just needed hoofing, or even passing out for a throw. To try to dribble around (arguably) their best player inside your own penalty area was ridiculous.   
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I take on board the comments about Oshi being given the ball in a stupid position for the first, but it just needed hoofing, or even passing out for a throw. To try to dribble around (arguably) their best player inside your own penalty area was ridiculous.   
    He definitely didn’t try to dribble round Grant. It was an attempted pass. 
    Lapslie was very close to Oshi, which meant he didn’t have time to faff about. 
  • Options
    Oztumer passed it to Lapslie first he probably had the best chance to clear it but he nearly always chooses to go backwards. He should of had a shit because there like clearances  
  • Options
    Time to go back to basics. 
    Too many players look confused as to what is expected of them in a diamond formation. 
    I would go 442.
    The four in midfield should be Pratley and Cullen in the centre with Green wind right and Williams on the left.
    Taylor and Bonne up front. 
    I think the players would be much more comfortable with that set up.
    I'm mostly with you, apart from the shameless pisstaker that is AG - wouldn't dirty another red shirt on his back - Doughty on the left for me and Williams right as the least square peg for that hole.
    Back 4 is a nightmare as we have 1 full back for each side in Matthews and Purrington and no other adequate defenders available.  Pearce by default at CH, Sarr if fit.  Our best CH by far is Pratley but that means Davis in CM who's glacially slow.  Ozzy on the bench on merit and then making up the numbers with Aneke, Smith and the best/fittest of the youngsters.
    After Boro's showing last night I fear our lineup for Saturday is largely academic.