Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Oshilaja should be miles ahead of Solly in the RB pecking order too. I thought he had a good game yesterday and I haven't finished calling out Dazzler for marking him the worst of our players. Honey, you are well cancelled 😉
  • Options
    These defenders are so good that is why we conceed a goal and more every game  and the opposition cut the defence open every game. Or am I watching another team, oh no it is Charlton.
  • Options
    You must've been watching a different game to everyone else who could see Matthews played well, again.

but suely better even at left back than purrington
  • Options
    Without Sarr and Morgan there is no one who can play an accurate 30 yard pass.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    You play yourselves into poor form and you play yourselves out of it. Sheffield Wednesday was like being dealt a joker and putting it back in the pack. They were there for the taking but we went for a point. I think it was a monumental error from Bowyer and was a tipping point playing wise and sadly we tipped the wrong way. The loss of Sarr has been massive, but also Lockyer was a harsh blow weakening a defence that wasn't great before. 

What you want to get yourself back on track is a team with the same issues. It is better to play these teams away IMO as they have even more pressure. If Bowyer approaches next week in the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, that will be it. But if he plays to punish Hull's frailties we will have some positive momentum to build on and hopefully Sarr back too.

When people look at Sarr's defending they miss what he brings to the team in other aspects. With a midfield that lacks offensive creativity and threat, his balls and general play are so important to us. We have to look at Aneke's attributes too and surely it is worth a gamble to give him a chance given our situation.

BTW, whilst Williams wasn't greatly effective yesterday, I think with a bit more support offensively he would have been more so. You could see he was doing what was needed but you can't expect him to do it on his own.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    But the two up front need service. Drastic but you could stick Aneke in there and play long balls to a three or four. Just one of a few options that can bridge the skills gap in the short term.

Whatever happens, Bowyer needs to sit down with his team and work out a way of winning games. Damage limitation was understandable with all the injuries but won't work now. 
  • Options
    “ we go again “
    ” we need the fans to come down and back us ”
    we knew it was going to be rough but losing to these teams is painful looks like no desire any more. 
  • Options
    We never seem to start a game on the front foot,every game home or away,the opposition always for the first 10 minutes or so pass the ball around among themselves,without us getting anywhere near it,then we are looking at breakaways to try and score.Then the usual donation of an early goal and there you go backs to the wall again.I know it is asking a lot of Taylor to keep chasing long balls,but we do not have the quality of defender to consistently play out from the back,and so long balls are the only way to cut out these errors.Still hope,Nabby and Lockyear back next week will give us more solidity,but agree that Aneke should figure some where.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    We never seem to start a game on the front foot,every game home or away,the opposition always for the first 10 minutes or so pass the ball around among themselves,without us getting anywhere near it,then we are looking at breakaways to try and score.Then the usual donation of an early goal and there you go backs to the wall again.I know it is asking a lot of Taylor to keep chasing long balls,but we do not have the quality of defender to consistently play out from the back,and so long balls are the only way to cut out these errors.Still hope,Nabby and Lockyear back next week will give us more solidity,but agree that Aneke should figure some where.
    The problem with Aneke is that he needs oxygen after running up and down the pitch a couple of times let alone being made of glass too.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I can't come down on one side or the other on ESI until I know for sure. Having said that, there is absolutely no evidence to date that they will be an improvement over Roland. In fact, it is very worrying that they haven't bought all of the club yet. 

What re-assures me strangely enough is how useless Southall has been. He is clearly the figure head but not the money man. He has gone about things in totally the wrong way, and looks like an ego out of his depth, but that doesn't mean the money isn't there so I still have some hope. Maybe he will learn enough from this. Actions speak louder than words, especially when those words stink of bullshit.

When I hear and read promises in the programme. When I see all the nonsense around Bowyer's contract. When I read about a five year plan. It is from somebody who isn't good at his job trying to be so. Almost like trying to talk the talk. BTW, football should be about one year plans, trying to be better in all aspects every year. I was worried when I heard of a five year plan. It is bollocks, which seems to me the best way to summarise Southall's start. Hopefully he will improve but forget about trying to be liked and do your job properly FFS!
  • Options
    Nice work between Purrington and Lapslie for their goal - set them up nicely.
    Two weeks in a row for Lapslie. Said it all week, Bonne and Taylor need to start.
  • Options
    I listened to the commentary and watched the 2 mins highlight so I'm no authority on the game but you can't just blame the defenders for the loss other players missed goal scoring chances which if a couple had been taken would have negated the defensive lapse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cs1986 said:
    Bowyer looks clueless at present which is gutting as I thought he was going to be special. The squad is so unbalanced and lacks pace. We have no wide midfielders and no one who can dribble with the ball. Gallagher and Leko provided this and are such a big miss. The gap between our midfield and attack is too large and leaves the striker (s) isolated. There is also no real goal threat from our midfield- Pratley, Cullen, Lapslie and Williams do not bring a goal threat which is knowhere near good enough at this level. 
    Excellent post.......one which I virtually wrote on the match thread at 2.30pm once I was inside the ground & saw the team news and again reiterated upthread last night.

We just dont  have goals in the team. Only the front 2 (Taylor & Bonne) have scored regularly this season & they cant currently score as they arent getting the service. 1 goal in 4 games & that goal (away at Forest) came courtesy of a sublime cross from Sarr, who has since been injured. The midfield neither runs attacking wise with the ball nor does it supply any crosses or through balls. 
    Sarr, Gallagher and Leko have the most assists this season, which explains why we are where we are.
  • Options
    getting what we deserve for having players like Pearce and Purrington in the championship
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    just read bowyers comments - we started well and were on top the gifted them a goal or words to that affect - that is totally incorrect. We wee playing a formation that wasn't working, we couldn't get near them when they had it and were shut down instantly when we had it. Mistakes will eventually be forced if that goes on. So, the reality is we set up wrong - again - and didn't change it quickly enough. 

If we still had bauer, aribo, belik, gallagher and leko, we wouldn't be in this mess - we have gone backwards.

The jan window was piss poor and we needed it to be very good

Green has no bollocks but he can beat a man on the wing so if we are going to play him, get him out on the wing

Please play Bonne up top with Taylor.Bonne has energy and bollox and knows where the net is, green doesn't

lockyer and sarr back, bonne up top with taylor and a sensible midfield of williams, pratley, cullen and doughty with no non footballing duds in it and we still have half a chance - i would recommend bowyer sits in the stands for a few weeks so he can actually see what is going on and takes the defensive handbreak right off - go down fighting and we will accept it
    btw - i blame rd and now esi for all of this, not bowyer although i do think he needs to take some blame for not bringing in a centre half in january,  for not being more forceful about needing quality, proven reinforcements in january - due to his belief possibly that all would be okay once the injured returned and for now not making the most out of what he currently has.  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    In fact, I'd be tempted to play Oshilaja at RB in the next game and just let Matthews have a go at running our midfield, he looks about our best footballer so why not 
    Yeah, I suggested that that might be worth trying in the preview thread, but tbh it’s possible he’s one of those players only comfortable playing one position. 
    I agree Oshilaja played well yesterday, despite the one very stray pass. 
    Nothing much to add to what has been posted before, except to say that earlier in the season we might have grabbed an undeserved draw, or even a win from that game if Taylor, Pratley and Bonne hadn’t missed good chances, or if the Taylor penalty had been given (Quest thought Taylor was clipped).
    Also, when our wide players got the ball their full backs closed them down immediately, and got very tight, and a second player bore down on them. When their wide players got the ball our full backs were often about four or five yards away and if they closed down at all they rarely got closer than about five feet. That’s pretty basic stuff.
    Happy to have given @cantersaddick a lift to and from the game, but won’t do so again without his girlfriend being in attendance. Sorry to have unwittingly played a part in our defeat yesterday ☹️
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    In fact, I'd be tempted to play Oshilaja at RB in the next game and just let Matthews have a go at running our midfield, he looks about our best footballer so why not 
    Said this a few weeks ago. Or oshi front of matthews as he can get up and downa nd cross the ball