Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Just checked my post from the match preview thread 2 days ago. and the crystal ball seems to be working.

Valiantphil

With two depressing defeats on the road you’d hope that we see a Charlton team truly fired up come 3pm

More likely to see a Charlton team passing it across the back four, into the centre circle, then back to the keeper. Any attacking FK or Throw, will be directed towards our own end. 

The truth is, we have to come out the tunnel (both times) and overrun them from the off. 
    Get a lead, hold onto it, build on it, then put subs into the defence to secure the points. 

The probability is that we will be asleep, one down, chase the game, and throw tons of attacking energy into the last 5 minutes of the game, and come away with nothing. 
    These players need to step up to the reality. 
    Just like Lapslie clearing off the line with his face at Pompey last season. 
    More like that and less of the Oshilaja shuffle.

• Options
    I got a feeling Bowyer has lost the players. Where has the effort gone? We have been poor at the back all season but at least we were decent going forward. 
  • Options
    Shite last week. Shite this week: no more no less. Probably going down. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    27 out of 44 assists this season from the following players who weren’t on the pitch for the first half today (and 3 have left the club):

Sarr, Gallagher, Leko, Doughty, Bonne, Morgan; Lockyer, Solly, Kayal, Ozzy, Davis, Aneke, Field
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Shite last week. Shite this week: no more no less. Probably going down. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Certainly mate sadly...afraid bottom 3 clubs are promoted clubs...how long
     before this is a closed shop...we haven't helped.
  • Options
    Sheikh with no shekels. Bad window. Paying the price. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    27 out of 44 assists this season from the following players who weren’t on the pitch for the first half today (and 3 have left the club):

Sarr, Gallagher, Leko, Doughty, Bonne, Morgan; Lockyer, Solly, Kayal, Ozzy, Davis, Aneke, Field
    WTF has happened to Aneke btw??? Would rather him on the bench than Mcgeady.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Stig said:
    Lost to the better side. No complaints.
    Lost to the better side. Plenty of complaints:

1. Giving away so many corners 
    2. Allowing them to make so many crosses
    3. Standing off of them and allowing them to pass around us
    4. Not pushing out quickly enough
    5. Dithering instead of crossing 
    6. Inaccurate crossing 
    7. Playing the midfielder who should have been the most threatening (but wasn't) too far apart from our best attacker
    8. Being shot shy
    9. Gifting them an easy goal

No doubt we lost to the better side, but only because we allowed them to be.
    I would add giving away needless free kicks in dangerous areas ie; anything in our own half and beyond. 
  • Options
    First time this season where i think we’ll go down. Just not good enough. Still, we go on! 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Bowyer is right and its why calls for his head are beyond embarrassing

Players are doing things that are beyond his control, yes he's telling them to keep the ball (as I would) but he's not going to be telling them to pass it back on every occasion

Instead those players are doing what they think in their own heads is the safe option, because confidence is low and because they think in the split second its the right decision - Yes its up to Bowyer to try and restore that confidence but when we speak so freely about Mental Health on these threads its clear that installing confidence and self believe in human beings isnt as easy as flicking a light switch
    He set them up to play from the back, inviting the pressure. If a manager thinks Pearce and Deji are capable of passing the ball around then he deserves criticism.
  • Options
    Wheres our young chairman by the way?! He was quite lively in jan. 
  • Options
    When we gave the ball away, why didn’t someone take their guy out instead of letting him run all the way into our box?
  • Options
    Bow reckons on another day we might have won it.

Dreaming.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Dreaming.
    Another day being the 12th of never, presumably
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Dreaming.
    Worrying if he thinks that.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Dreaming.
    Worrying if he thinks that.
    Probably already knows who he'll be managing next season.
  • Options
    England won the rugby 
  • Options
    Yeah. All been said on here. That was rubbish from start to finish.
  • Options
    One of the other most frustrating aspects of this afternoon was that the fans kept going today.  We were a bit frustrated at the goal conceded and a few times when we gave the ball away, the lack of movement etc, but overall we did our bit.  We kept going and tried to get behind them.  We didn’t deserve that performance today, nor did the hardy souls that travelled up to Wednesday and Huddersfield.

got to put more of a shift in next week from the 1st minute.  And that means not giving the ball away and going for it, hard
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Draw would have been a fair result from two poor teams. We gifted them a goal that a pub team manager would be cross about. Same as the opener last week. This is a sign of a side low in confidence. What we need is to play a side like us . We are one of the few sides who Sheffield Wednesday  could have beaten the other week.

Are we going down? Possibly but not certainly. Sarr is coming back and he makes a massive difference all over the pitch. Fortunately we are playing possibly a poorer side than us next week. Bowyer has to try and impose ourselves on them and not play for a draw, Am I certain he will do this - of course not but hoping he will. Win that and things will look a bit different. Lose it and it looks bad. Really bad.

I'm not saying we should sack him but Bowyer has lost his way a bit. He needs to reset and go down fighting..... and maybe we won't go down if he does. Aneke has to be tried. He should at least be on the bench if fit.

• Options
    I could copy and paste my comments from last week, another poor performance against a relegation rival and deserved defeat.

Boro have done the double against us, SIX points we’ve given them
  • Options
    It appears that we have no idea how to attack.  Their (tall) number six was man marking Lyle and had a very good game because we kept kindly kicking it to him to head back up the pitch.  We had about one attacking header all match (the chance near the end) yet kept trying to cross for the header - which, unsurprisingly, didn't work.  Lyle was isolated and most attacking moves ended up back with Dillon.  Today we looked liked we could have played until midnight without scoring.  Imagine if Lyle had a big, strong strike partner to link with.  Is Yann still playing?

We seem to have a strange habit of passing to people who are marked, rather than trying to find the space so we end up giving the ball away a lot.  When we end up with the ball near their box we look like we have no idea what to do.  Oh and Darren, as much as I love your aggressive midfield game, please stay well clear of their goal as you got in the way of at least two chances and fluffed a good opportunity.  Thanks.  As for the defence, apart from the error leading to their goal, we did reasonably well; however, Boro had quite a few (terrible) shots at goal and if we let a better side do that they will Muller us.

I can't seem to make sense of what our game plan is and why we often appear to play to the strength of our opponents, but we don't have an awful lot in the locker to change it up.  The unfortunate truth is that the majority of our squad is League One standard (with a few obvious exceptions) who are trying to cut it in the league above.  We were bound to run out of luck sometime.

Who to blame?  Well, ESI were never going to be able to perform miracles, especially with so little time, but it speaks volumes that none of those brought in in January (apart from Green) were seen today; therefore, they are basically pointless as Bow's clearly doesn't rate them.  Makes all the supa-dupa phone business even more embarrassing, but I am still going to reserve judgement on ESI until the start of next season; that's when we'll know what they're really all about. - We clearly need a squad clear out and a back to basics approach - especially as we're likely to be a division below next season, by the looks of it - I mean, I'm trying to look for positives, but if you look at the circumstances of the last three results there doesn't appear to be any chance of us staying up apart from other teams being docked points, which I am loathe to believe will actually happen in any case. 

Never easy being Charlton, is it?
  • Options
    Haven't heard anyone say that we are missing Naby Sarr but he is our our only source of salvation. That and a boot up the backside for the team. The ref gave us nothing except three yellow cards for infringements that he allowed Borough to get away with more than once.  Dillon didnt learn that we had to play out from the back and continued to punt long balls at Taylor that their defence won. As for their goal, the least said the better

We were getting nowhere playing out from the back. You just had to watch how their players pressed our defenders whenever they were in possession, forcing errors. Naby and Matthews are comfortable on the ball, the rest of our defenders aren't. More often than not when Phillips did play it short, it ended up back witth him and what did he do? Punt it long. It worked early season but we were found out long ago.