Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I see Sarr as a really key player if we are to stay up. 
  • Options
    I hate that we allow the away team to dominate the first ten minutes. Remember that all too distant first half agains Forest at the start of the season? Now we are so scared to go on the front foot from the off.

When you can’t do the basics of a ten yard pass like Purrington today then, this season has shown us, we will get punished. Shame we don’t take advantage of opponents’ mistakes in the same way.

I think we need to go 4-4-2 for the rest of the season. We need two up top with the midfield and defence as it is at the moment. Play off scraps if need be. I though Bonne was good when he came on. 

Hull is a vital game. I think if we lose then we are gone and that is the first time I’ve thought that this season.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    There is a massive hole in our midfield where Gallagher used to be. That is on ESI for me. I was vocal enough in January, but Southall either showed that he wasn't up to the job or ESI showed they are a bunch of chancers. Hopefully it is the former and he learns from this and we are not definitely down yet. 
  • Options
    I see Sarr as a really key player if we are to stay up. 
    I agree, and sadly that says it all.
  • Options
    I thought the ref was pretty fair to both sides really and neither can claim to have been more harshly treated than the other in my opinion. 
    I always  judge the egality of referees by whether the  yellow cards for each side are in a similar ratio to the fouls committed. There were very few career  threatening fouls by either side but quite a few professional fouls, a push here and a shove there but the yellow card tally did not reflect the fouls.
  • Options
    I work with swindon Exeter and Plymouth fans. . Who for weeks have told me threy can't wait till next year....their wish will come true. ..
  • Options
    Boro by far the better team with quality in all positions. We were up against from minute one. Which goes to show how far off we are in terms of staying in this league. I couldn’t even get excited with the half chances we created today. The only chance we stay up is if we get in some sort of form but on recent performances ( even against Luton ) we have flattered to deceive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Genuine question

Is Morgan injured?

Yes - no worries
    No - what the fuck are we playing at
  • Options
    Genuine question

Is Morgan injured? 
    Out on loan somewhere 
  • Options
    There is a massive hole in our midfield where Gallagher used to be. That is on ESI for me. I was vocal enough in January, but Southall either showed that he wasn't up to the job or ESI showed they are a bunch of chancers. Hopefully it is the former and he learns from this and we are not definitely down yet. 
    Oh yes, and five year plans in football are complete bullshit btw.
  • Options
    What a waste of time it all is. We were done for in the transfer window and thats when it became clear that this bunch are up there with the Spivs, Roland and Sunley as rubbish owners. Was Mouthall there today?
    Ridiculous comment to be making, even considering the poor form we're in.
    Ridiculous perhaps, but could well be true! Probably the most avoidable relegation ever experienced. Only fools would go out and buy something they can not afford to run, thrashing their acquisition within days of taking it on. Seems quite a ridiculous thing to do, does it not? 
    So would have been better to have kept Roland in January then?

I wonder what our business would have looked like had that happened
    Well it couldn't have been much fucking worse could it? 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What a waste of time it all is. We were done for in the transfer window and thats when it became clear that this bunch are up there with the Spivs, Roland and Sunley as rubbish owners. Was Mouthall there today?
    Ridiculous comment to be making, even considering the poor form we're in.
    Ridiculous perhaps, but could well be true! Probably the most avoidable relegation ever experienced. Only fools would go out and buy something they can not afford to run, thrashing their acquisition within days of taking it on. Seems quite a ridiculous thing to do, does it not? 
    So would have been better to have kept Roland in January then?

I wonder what our business would have looked like had that happened
    Well it couldn't have been much fucking worse could it? 
    It isn't supporting/defending Roland to say that. It is just a fact. January was a terrible window.
  • Options
    In terms of the game today the most disappointing aspect for me was the fact that Bowyer lined us up to match Middlesbrough with Green in Midfield when in my eyes it should be the opposition doing that (Unless its a team towards the top)

Felt the squad selection was right, nor was I the only one happy with that so would love to have the hindsight that a lot of people now have for calling Bowyer out on his selection etc.

Goal of course like so many was totally avoidable and ironically came from a throw-in which has been a complaint from many fans this season - Funnily I felt our throw-ins second half were really good for one spell because quite simply we didnt dick about and got straight on with it

Bonne for Lapslie was the correct substitution in my eyes at half-time and appeared to be working

Unfortunately that impetus was lost when Williams had to go off (not surprising really) yet Middlesbrough did well to contain him

Game of course became stretched with us chasing the ball, it allowed Middlesbrough more space to attack when they had the ball and their failure all afternoon in front of goal confirmed why they're struggling and wont simply get out of this battle (like Stoke will)

Doughty coming on for Williams sadly changed the game back in Boro's favour, we went from running at them with the ball to a more long ball approach which made our chances even less frequent

Pratley certainly frustrated me today with his involvement in the box, showed how we'd missed him as Defensive Midfielder but three times stole the ball from attacking team mates in good positions today

Taylor I felt was ineffective and an idiot, maybe should have had a penalty but he also could have been clear on goal, instead he checked back and let the Middlesbrough Defender take him down which for me was why the booking was given (still the incorrect decision)

Even before that moment I had a feeling that the officials would prove to be weak today, let far too much go (even by normal standards) - Just had no bottle to make a decisive decision for the large part which made him inconsistent
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    We are fucked. The good times aren't coming back and Matt Southall is a bullshitter.

I'm off to have some toast. 
    Try some fried bread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    We are fucked. The good times aren't coming back and Matt Southall is a bullshitter.

Try some fried bread.
    With a microwaved pot noodle 
  • Options
    On a positive note I thought we were much better and everyone seemed a lot more confident in the 442 formation, I think only Bowyer knows who was playing where in the first 30 minutes 
  • Options
    Thought Boro played well, I must say.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    When did Williams last start on the left? Has he ever played there for us?

And don't say today clever clogs. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Seem to remember another occasion when Chelsea fucked over our season...  We miss what Gallagher brought to the team so painfully, the rest of them sparked off Baby Beckham.

I err on the side of pessimism when it comes to my football club, that's why we suit each other so nicely but if this new lot are the real deal then paint my arse blue and call me Neil Arris.  To think that the shit-cnuts are due up soon for our ritual humiliation fills me with utter dread.

Apart from that I am chipper!
  • Options
    In terms of the game today the most disappointing aspect for me was the fact that Bowyer lined us up to match Middlesbrough with Green in Midfield when in my eyes it should be the opposition doing that (Unless its a team towards the top)

Felt the squad selection was right, nor was I the only one happy with that so would love to have the hindsight that a lot of people now have for calling Bowyer out on his selection etc.

Goal of course like so many was totally avoidable and ironically came from a throw-in which has been a complaint from many fans this season - Funnily I felt our throw-ins second half were really good for one spell because quite simply we didnt dick about and got straight on with it

Bonne for Lapslie was the correct substitution in my eyes at half-time and appeared to be working

Unfortunately that impetus was lost when Williams had to go off (not surprising really) yet Middlesbrough did well to contain him

Game of course became stretched with us chasing the ball, it allowed Middlesbrough more space to attack when they had the ball and their failure all afternoon in front of goal confirmed why they're struggling and wont simply get out of this battle (like Stoke will)

Doughty coming on for Williams sadly changed the game back in Boro's favour, we went from running at them with the ball to a more long ball approach which made our chances even less frequent

Pratley certainly frustrated me today with his involvement in the box, showed how we'd missed him as Defensive Midfielder but three times stole the ball from attacking team mates in good positions today

Taylor I felt was ineffective and an idiot, maybe should have had a penalty but he also could have been clear on goal, instead he checked back and let the Middlesbrough Defender take him down which for me was why the booking was given (still the incorrect decision)

Even before that moment I had a feeling that the officials would prove to be weak today, let far too much go (even by normal standards) - Just had no bottle to make a decisive decision for the large part which made him inconsistent
    Positives

We are reaching for the nothing to lose stage and that is where managers look in the draw where they lost their balls. Hoping Bowyer finds his. If we go down fighting, fair enough. 

Sarr does make a massive difference to the way we play. We look better offensively when he starts. 

We win next week and we are out of the bottom three. I said win Lee - don't go holding out for a draw. The way to beat Hull is to go at them from the start.
    Yeah Lockyer / Sarr being back makes me hope we'll be better as those two are comfortable at passing the ball out from the back especially the latter

The other positive in a strange way is how we saw Charlton setup against Doncaster at the Valley for the Play-Offs - Bowyer on that showing (and times this season) isnt very good when he's got to try and protect a position that we're in, it all goes tits up and as we've seen so often, we tend to lose

Well Bowyer is now in a position where he has to go for it, protecting our position and being defensive will only see us go one way now
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Uboat said:

Try some fried bread.
    I'd have it with Beef dripping if I had any here, sod the blood pressure.