Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Options

Saturday was depressing, as much as how we went about the game as anything. One up top, at home, against a team around us with a midfield that I don't think have scored a goal all season? Where were the goals going to come from?

It's time to be brave, we need to start with both Taylor and Bonne (who continues to impress me), keep a player like Williams on the bench to bring on fopr the last 15/20 minutes if we are losing/drawing. We need warriors out there AND players who can win games. We've been too weak of late and second to the ball.

Phillips

Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr Purrington

McGeady, Prattley, Cullen, Doughty

Bonne, Taylor

Even Hemed will come good if he actually gets service into his feet rather than a hoof up top.

442 and stop dicking around with it at the back, fight for every ball, stay alert (we seem to switch off too easily) and players like Prattley and Cullen need to set out their stall early on with some crunching challenges. We're too soft (as a team).

I'm hopeful for Saturday........

• Options
    E_cafc said:
    Warriors- McGeady? 
    Indeed. 
    I hope I never see him in a Charlton shirt again. 
  • Options
    Phillips: kept us in it and his distribution was much much better than usual
    Matthews: best defender by a mile, which admittedly is feint praise
    Oshilaja: nowhere nearly good enough at this level, paradoxically delivered the best cross of the match
    Pearce: took him 45 minutes to warm up and even showed hitherto concealed turn of pace in the 2nd half, not good tho
    Purrington: being scapegoated by many but our only credible left back acquitted himself well enough
    Pratley: tried to be everywhere all the time and mostly succeeded, unfortunate to get in the way a couple of times but better that than not try like one of his colleagues
    Lapslie: the early schoolboy error seemed to deflate him rather, mistakes happen but he's coughed up more than his fair share since his return.
    Cullen: did what he could in that poxy shape first half and clearly better suited to the plan B
    Williams: very low key showing from him couldn't tell if he was off colour or just didn't fancy it, shoulda got the hook much earlier
    Green: shameful parasite is robbing every penny of his wages - only got involved by accident and when he literally couldn't find a hiding place, didn't try a leg, never got near breaking a sweat, I've rumbled you, you prick, showed Preston what you can do and haven't given a fig since, kindly eff off back to Birmingham you delusional narcissist, even the fat talentless Hemed is of greater value.
    Taylor: our best outfield player, left it all on the pitch as always, without anything quite coming off and being the scandalous referee's chosen fall guy. 
    Bonne: has maybe half the talent of Green but outshines that prick,  Did more in his first 10 minutes than AG deigned to serve up in the full 97.
    Referee: prancing showpony who chose to impose his own version of the rules on the game and royally f"cked us over in the process: rightly booked Shotton for shirt pulling early on, then declined to book his defensive partner for exactly the same offense, chose not to penalise same bloke for the foul on Taylor on the edge of the box so booked LT for being kicked up in the air, having decided he was anti-Taylor he then penalised neither of the 2 defenders who hauled LT to the ground on the goal line at a corner and sat on him, thus denying Charlton one of the clearest penalties I've ever witnessed in 38 years of attending matches.  In short a cheat.  We were effectively playing 12, when we should have been playing no more than 10 for 45 minutes.

Doughty: his immediate impact was somewhat diluted by the swift shift to plan C which saw him shackled at left back when he is our best wide attacking player

Bowyer -  yet another tactical mis-step with yet another formation and different midfield lineup, compounded by sticking with it for far far too long, especially once we were behind and constantly overrun.  Tolerated Green's blatant disinterest, when Macauley Bonne was available.
    The talk on our row, 2nd half on Saturday, was whether Ben Amos was a better bet as a striker than the wheezy has-been Hemed, Ben's certainly fitter, plenty tall and strong enough, he can't be any slower and certainly not for just a 12 minute cameo when any goal however scored, is essential.  If I were BA, I'd be in the superstore getting home and away outfield kits printed up with his name and number in addition to his usual purple/yellow/whatever.  A battering ram was what was required, not a battered old tup. 
    That pretty much sums it all up!
  • Options
    Oshilaja: nowhere nearly good enough at this level, paradoxically delivered the best cross of the match
    Pearce: took him 45 minutes to warm up and even showed hitherto concealed turn of pace in the 2nd half, not good tho
    Purrington: being scapegoated by many but our only credible left back acquitted himself well enough
    Pratley: tried to be everywhere all the time and mostly succeeded, unfortunate to get in the way a couple of times but better that than not try like one of his colleagues
    Lapslie: the early schoolboy error seemed to deflate him rather, mistakes happen but he's coughed up more than his fair share since his return.
    Cullen: did what he could in that poxy shape first half and clearly better suited to the plan B
    Williams: very low key showing from him couldn't tell if he was off colour or just didn't fancy it, shoulda got the hook much earlier
    Green: shameful parasite is robbing every penny of his wages - only got involved by accident and when he literally couldn't find a hiding place, didn't try a leg, never got near breaking a sweat, I've rumbled you, you prick, showed Preston what you can do and haven't given a fig since, kindly eff off back to Birmingham you delusional narcissist, even the fat talentless Hemed is of greater value.
    Taylor: our best outfield player, left it all on the pitch as always, without anything quite coming off and being the scandalous referee's chosen fall guy. 
    Bonne: has maybe half the talent of Green but outshines that prick,  Did more in his first 10 minutes than AG deigned to serve up in the full 97.
    Referee: prancing showpony who chose to impose his own version of the rules on the game and royally f"cked us over in the process: rightly booked Shotton for shirt pulling early on, then declined to book his defensive partner for exactly the same offense, chose not to penalise same bloke for the foul on Taylor on the edge of the box so booked LT for being kicked up in the air, having decided he was anti-Taylor he then penalised neither of the 2 defenders who hauled LT to the ground on the goal line at a corner and sat on him, thus denying Charlton one of the clearest penalties I've ever witnessed in 38 years of attending matches.  In short a cheat.  We were effectively playing 12, when we should have been playing no more than 10 for 45 minutes.

Doughty: his immediate impact was somewhat diluted by the swift shift to plan C which saw him shackled at left back when he is our best wide attacking player

Bowyer -  yet another tactical mis-step with yet another formation and different midfield lineup, compounded by sticking with it for far far too long, especially once we were behind and constantly overrun.  Tolerated Green's blatant disinterest, when Macauley Bonne was available.
    The talk on our row, 2nd half on Saturday, was whether Ben Amos was a better bet as a striker than the wheezy has-been Hemed, Ben's certainly fitter, plenty tall and strong enough, he can't be any slower and certainly not for just a 12 minute cameo when any goal however scored, is essential.  If I were BA, I'd be in the superstore getting home and away outfield kits printed up with his name and number in addition to his usual purple/yellow/whatever.  A battering ram was what was required, not a battered old tup. 
    Masterful. Hilarious but painfully accurate at the same time. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Aneke and JFC subbed off at half time today for u23s so expect them to be in the squad Saturday.
  • Options
    Just watched the sky 'highlights' from Saturday. Had our chances didnt we?! That header from Bonne at the end,wow,anywhere on target and thats 1-1,what a miss. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Referee: prancing showpony who chose to impose his own version of the rules on the game and royally f"cked us over in the process: rightly booked Shotton for shirt pulling early on, then declined to book his defensive partner for exactly the same offense, chose not to penalise same bloke for the foul on Taylor on the edge of the box so booked LT for being kicked up in the air, having decided he was anti-Taylor he then penalised neither of the 2 defenders who hauled LT to the ground in the goal line at a corner and sat on him, thus denying Charlton one of the clearest penalties I've ever witnessed in 38 years of attending matches.  In short a cheat.  We were effectively playing 12, when we should have been playing no more than 10 for 45 minutes.

Take a bow son, take a bow
    Wasn’t it Purrington’s schoolboy error, not Lapslie’s?
    Great cross by Green to set up Taylor. 

• Options
    Just watched the sky 'highlights' from Saturday. Had our chances didnt we?! That header from Bonne at the end,wow,anywhere on target and thats 1-1,what a miss. 

His tentative prod earlier on was worse. Had time to take a touch and then smash it with his left. Sharper/confident, as he was was before his injury, and he'd definitely have buried that one.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:
    What a waste of time it all is. We were done for in the transfer window and thats when it became clear that this bunch are up there with the Spivs, Roland and Sunley as rubbish owners. Was Mouthall there today?
    Ridiculous comment to be making, even considering the poor form we're in.
    Ridiculous perhaps, but could well be true! Probably the most avoidable relegation ever experienced. Only fools would go out and buy something they can not afford to run, thrashing their acquisition within days of taking it on. Seems quite a ridiculous thing to do, does it not? 
    So would have been better to have kept Roland in January then?

I wonder what our business would have looked like had that happened
    We signed 3 loans last minute, which is exactly the sort of business we did under Roland. This all 'Messiah Matt' shite is fucking tiresome, ESI aren't in credit. 
    I actually think we would have been better in that window with Roland - Gallen and Bowyer  might have got better loans in .  Southall loves himself but he’s a complete joker 
    This aged well.  God I’m unhappy to be right 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You sure you're right though?
  • Options
    Just chanced upon this thread again with loads of unread posts.

Bogged down with reading all about the Southall v Nimer debacle, I'd clean forgotten all about the football.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You sure you're right though?
    Yes. 
  • Options
    70 % relegation ............ 30% stay up 

100% sober 

palace safe
    scum knocking on play off door
    our team , our club heading into oblivion 

Myself 100% broken 
    This still , come on Charlton you’ve been given a reprieve from the shitness , take advantage of it perleeeeeeeease