Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:
    In fact, I'd be tempted to play Oshilaja at RB in the next game and just let Matthews have a go at running our midfield, he looks about our best footballer so why not 
    Said this a few weeks ago. Or oshi front of matthews as he can get up and downa nd cross the ball 
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:
    In fact, I'd be tempted to play Oshilaja at RB in the next game and just let Matthews have a go at running our midfield, he looks about our best footballer so why not 
    Said this a few weeks ago. Or oshi front of matthews as he can get up and downa nd cross the ball 

this is well worth a try, Matthews on the right of midfield. He has pace can tackle and cross .. a good compromise as our midfield a t m can neither defend nor attack .. could give us more solidity at the back and a bit of pace in attack .. also I am waiting for the day when Williams does a full 90
  • Options
    timken said:
    You must've been watching a different game to everyone else who could see Matthews played well, again.

but suely better even at left back than purrington
    No I don't think so, Solly has never performed well at left back. 
  • Options
    Nice work between Purrington and Lapslie for their goal - set them up nicely.
    Two weeks in a row for Lapslie. Said it all week, Bonne and Taylor need to start.
    Whilst not being a Lapslie fan, having the ball waywardly passed by him yesterday is hardly his fault.
  • Options

Matthews probably our best player yesterday ... the sooner BeckenSarr is back the better, we'll have a bit more composure on the ball at the back.

Er ... that'll do for now.
    I remember when Nabby was the problem rather than the solution. We live in desperate times.
  • Options
    I did come on here to make a couple of points though.

Firstly: where is Morgan ? Surely he is better than playing Lapslie and certainly a better option that Smith. Recall him from his loan spell & put him in the team. Then there is Aneke. Another player who seems to have disappeared. Are they players who have fallen out with Bowyer. If so, expect to see them being sold to Rotherham or Fleetwood next season only to be bought by a promotion chasing Championship side the following xmas (Like Fosu). 

Secondly. Anyone have any perspective on the various penalty shouts we had in the 2nd half. Did Taylor dive ? And what about the handballs ? Looked to me sitting in the East that the one near the end looked like a pen.

Thirdly. Taylor at corners. I wished he'd stop buggering about with their keeper & just do what 99.9% of other strikers do & stand on the penalty spot and try to head the ball into the goal. No idea who dreamt up his shenanigans but it isnt ever going to work and 9 times out of 10 the ref gives the foul against him. Much better doing what the real Matt Smith does & score at the back post.

Coaching badges. Not worth a light.
    I was as close as you could be to the penalty incident and I didn't even consider screaming 'penalty'. I thought Taylor spent too much time looking for fouls and I can see why the referee booked him even if it was a bit harsh. I suspect the referee got fed up with him because he was irritating at times and nattering away to the ref on several times during the game. Obviously, I have no idea what he said, but it wouldn't have helped his case, I suspect. I thought the referee got most things right. It wasn't his fault that Boro blatantly wasted time and niggled away. Although the bookings ended up 3-1 to us, we didn't have many grounds for complaint. Maybe, their other central defender should have got booked in the first half, but I've got no real complaints.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Yeah, I suggested that that might be worth trying in the preview thread, but tbh it’s possible he’s one of those players only comfortable playing one position. 
    I agree Oshilaja played well yesterday, despite the one very stray pass. 
    Nothing much to add to what has been posted before, except to say that earlier in the season we might have grabbed an undeserved draw, or even a win from that game if Taylor, Pratley and Bonne hadn’t missed good chances, or if the Taylor penalty had been given (Quest thought Taylor was clipped).
    Also, when our wide players got the ball their full backs closed them down immediately, and got very tight, and a second player bore down on them. When their wide players got the ball our full backs were often about four or five yards away and if they closed down at all they rarely got closer than about five feet. That’s pretty basic stuff.
    Happy to have given @cantersaddick a lift to and from the game, but won’t do so again without his girlfriend being in attendance. Sorry to have unwittingly played a part in our defeat yesterday ☹️
    Pleasure to meet you James. Enjoyable journey despite the result. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    just read bowyers comments - we started well and were on top the gifted them a goal or words to that affect - that is totally incorrect. We wee playing a formation that wasn't working, we couldn't get near them when they had it and were shut down instantly when we had it. Mistakes will eventually be forced if that goes on. So, the reality is we set up wrong - again - and didn't change it quickly enough. 

If we still had bauer, aribo, belik, gallagher and leko, we wouldn't be in this mess - we have gone backwards.

The jan window was piss poor and we needed it to be very good

Green has no bollocks but he can beat a man on the wing so if we are going to play him, get him out on the wing

Please play Bonne up top with Taylor.Bonne has energy and bollox and knows where the net is, green doesn't

lockyer and sarr back, bonne up top with taylor and a sensible midfield of williams, pratley, cullen and doughty with no non footballing duds in it and we still have half a chance - i would recommend bowyer sits in the stands for a few weeks so he can actually see what is going on and takes the defensive handbreak right off - go down fighting and we will accept it
    btw - i blame rd and now esi for all of this, not bowyer although i do think he needs to take some blame for not bringing in a centre half in january,  for not being more forceful about needing quality, proven reinforcements in january - due to his belief possibly that all would be okay once the injured returned and for now not making the most out of what he currently has.  
    So you DO blame Bowyer then. Good lad. Thought you'd join us. 

• Options
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:
    Said as much months ago.......as far back as the Bristol  City away game. He started then as a right wing back & got some great crosses in during the first half. Unfortunately injuries that night to Field and Cullen meant the team had to be reshuffled & not seen him that position since.  Probably better him being there & Matthews in the middle (CH or CM) 
  • Options
    After the Wembley play off final any decent owner would/should have bent over
    backwards to keep that team together. What did RD do, let Bauer, Aribo, Dijksteel who
    with decent wages would possibly have stayed. We did have quite decent replacements 
    in Gallagher and Sam Field but for some reason the January transfer business was absymal.
    Does anyone on here know the truth about Gallagher going to Swansea, various rumours
    about paying all or more of his wages and another £500,000 signing on fee. Wish I knew.
    Sadly at the moment ESI seemed to have conned us, hope that I am wrong. What is wrong
    with Chuks Aneke and Albie at least good enough to be on the bench!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    timken said:
    You must've been watching a different game to everyone else who could see Matthews played well, again.

No I don't think so, Solly has never performed well at left back. 
    Neither has Purrington.

For what it is worth, I understand him coming in for Doughty to protect the young lad but I would go with a back 4 of Oshilaja, Lockyer, Sarr and Matthews for the last 9 games.  
  • Options
    I did come on here to make a couple of points though.

Firstly: where is Morgan ? Surely he is better than playing Lapslie and certainly a better option that Smith. Recall him from his loan spell & put him in the team. Then there is Aneke. Another player who seems to have disappeared. Are they players who have fallen out with Bowyer. If so, expect to see them being sold to Rotherham or Fleetwood next season only to be bought by a promotion chasing Championship side the following xmas (Like Fosu). 

Secondly. Anyone have any perspective on the various penalty shouts we had in the 2nd half. Did Taylor dive ? And what about the handballs ? Looked to me sitting in the East that the one near the end looked like a pen.

Thirdly. Taylor at corners. I wished he'd stop buggering about with their keeper & just do what 99.9% of other strikers do & stand on the penalty spot and try to head the ball into the goal. No idea who dreamt up his shenanigans but it isnt ever going to work and 9 times out of 10 the ref gives the foul against him. Much better doing what the real Matt Smith does & score at the back post.

Coaching badges. Not worth a light.
    To answer my own question re pens....

Just seen the extended highlights on Sky. Taylor was definitely caught & did not dive...... although I think it was just outside the box (on the line at best) so probably just a free kick. Other refs might have given a pen bit I doubt many would have booked Taylor.

Also......no pen right at the end - hit the player on the thigh not arm. 

And Taylor's shenanigans with their player & goalkeeper at our corner. Player does drag Taylor down but Taylor was also backing in. As I said above, why does Taylor do this - he would be better off going for goal & attacking the ball at the far post ala Matt Smith. Much more effective.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:

this is well worth a try, Matthews on the right of midfield. He has pace can tackle and cross .. a good compromise as our midfield a t m can neither defend nor attack .. could give us more solidity at the back and a bit of pace in attack .. also I am waiting for the day when Williams does a full 90
    More chance of you doing 90 minutes mate.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Leuth said:
    Said as much months ago.......as far back as the Bristol  City away game. He started then as a right wing back & got some great crosses in during the first half. Unfortunately injuries that night to Field and Cullen meant the team had to be reshuffled & not seen him that position since.  Probably better him being there & Matthews in the middle (CH or CM) 
    100 agree. Was excellent the first game he played right bCk
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    just read bowyers comments - we started well and were on top the gifted them a goal or words to that affect - that is totally incorrect. We wee playing a formation that wasn't working, we couldn't get near them when they had it and were shut down instantly when we had it. Mistakes will eventually be forced if that goes on. So, the reality is we set up wrong - again - and didn't change it quickly enough. 

If we still had bauer, aribo, belik, gallagher and leko, we wouldn't be in this mess - we have gone backwards.

The jan window was piss poor and we needed it to be very good

Green has no bollocks but he can beat a man on the wing so if we are going to play him, get him out on the wing

Please play Bonne up top with Taylor.Bonne has energy and bollox and knows where the net is, green doesn't

lockyer and sarr back, bonne up top with taylor and a sensible midfield of williams, pratley, cullen and doughty with no non footballing duds in it and we still have half a chance - i would recommend bowyer sits in the stands for a few weeks so he can actually see what is going on and takes the defensive handbreak right off - go down fighting and we will accept it
    btw - i blame rd and now esi for all of this, not bowyer although i do think he needs to take some blame for not bringing in a centre half in january,  for not being more forceful about needing quality, proven reinforcements in january - due to his belief possibly that all would be okay once the injured returned and for now not making the most out of what he currently has.  
    So you DO blame Bowyer then. Good lad. Thought you'd join us. 

if bowyer had been backed better then his mistakes wouldn't be so critical - given what he currently has to work with, he cannot afford to get it wrong but i think he has on a number of occasions recently 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

We can say ‘second half was better’ but at this stage of the season it’s just not good enough. To offer another absolute gift of a goal again, and to line up in the wrong formation again and have to change it after 30 minutes again. They were passing it around us like we weren’t even there! Even in the second half, we huffed and puffed but they still had the better chances and many more of them. It was rubbish.

LB - Please start a game with a formation that actually works, cheers mate

It was obvious after 5 mins we were set up all wrong.
    LB should have changed that quicker and before we fell behind.
  • Options
    I checked the team on my to the ground and i knew then we would lose.How and why did LB play Lapslie he is league 2 standard at best and that’s being kind.At this stage of the season you must play your best team and that don’t include Lapslie we needed to win Boro were n’t great but they got the 3 points.Not for the first time LB has picked the wrong starting 11 and has cost us with his formations.Yesterday we should have started with Boone and gone 442 from the off and took the game to Boro.Several times Taylor was too far back in the right back or left back position i could not believe what i was watching,He needs to just play as a striker!!!!!!.....We keep passing backwards throw ins go backwards our free kicks and corners end up back with our keeper LB has to take responsibility for this as the buck stops with him he does n’t seem to learn from our previous mistakes and he has made so many team changes we never have a settled team players in and out of the team we can never guess what team he will pick and i know we have had injuries.....We still have a chance and we must beat Hull there are going to be a few twist and turns but this is the Charlton we love 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights of England v Japan. The Japan defending was like watching the Charlton back line. I challenge anyone to watch that goal and not give a nod to goals recently conceded. Their coach must have been copying Bowyer's tactics as they are a carbon copy. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Leuth said:
     I'd be fine with Oshilaja in the RB role, where he first played this season, he looked solid there. At CB alongside Pearce, we need someone assured... Like Bauer. Unfortunately Lockyer is the nearest at RCB.

Reading the other ratings, maybe I just felt he wasn't as good as Lockyer is there or Sarr for that matter.

Maybe I've harshly judged him for yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Without Sarr and Morgan there is no one who can play an accurate 30 yard pass.
    Other than Taylor and Cullen who both managed fantastic criss field 39 yard passes to I think Green?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    One thing I find really interesting is how people have turned on Pearce so drastically. Going back years, I've never rated him. Think he's limited, even at League One level. I'm sure he bring leadership qualities and pointy shouty qualities that it's hard for us on the outside to determine. But he's slow, he's slow to read the game, he's not great in the air, he doesn't stay on his feet, he's awful on the ball and he drops deep instinctively, forcing the whole team to drop deep. 

I don't think yesterday was all his fault by any stretch. But I wouldn't mind if we parted ways in the summer, no matter what division we're in (especially if we can keep Sarr). 
    I wouldn’t say turned mate, he always tries his best, it’s just at this level, he’s a liability imo.  He started off shaky but regained his composure on sat, but the most frustrating thing for me was a blatant push on one of theirs in the box in the second half.  He has to eliminate that from his game.  Came out after giving a pen away to Preston and apologised, but he’s still doing it.  It’s very frustrating to watch him wrestle continuous opposing forwards, knowing there’s a fair chance he’ll give away a key foul 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    SDAddick said:
    One thing I find really interesting is how people have turned on Pearce so drastically. Going back years, I've never rated him. Think he's limited, even at League One level. I'm sure he bring leadership qualities and pointy shouty qualities that it's hard for us on the outside to determine. But he's slow, he's slow to read the game, he's not great in the air, he doesn't stay on his feet, he's awful on the ball and he drops deep instinctively, forcing the whole team to drop deep. 

I don't think yesterday was all his fault by any stretch. But I wouldn't mind if we parted ways in the summer, no matter what division we're in (especially if we can keep Sarr). 
    I wouldn’t say turned mate, he always tries his best, it’s just at this level, he’s a liability imo.  He started off shaky but regained his composure on sat, but the most frustrating thing for me was a blatant push on one of theirs in the box in the second half.  He has to eliminate that from his game.  Came out after giving a pen away to Preston and apologised, but he’s still doing it.  It’s very frustrating to watch him wrestle continuous opposing forwards, knowing there’s a fair chance he’ll give away a key foul 
    There was a reason Wigan sold him to us when they were promoted to the Championship a few seasons back. 

He was their captain during that promotion season but they obviously knew he weren’t up to the rigours of the Championship!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I said before the match that we cannot afford to lose to Boro if we are to stay up. We have one last chance against Hull. A win only - to move out of the bottom 3 AND as a confidence booster - is the only acceptable outcome. Anything less and it’s League 1 next year and Christ knows what other implications in terms of ESI’s interest and investment. We really have blown it over the last 3 games. I am trying so hard to hold on to any optimism until Hull. Please, please, please lads, for once win one ‘6-pointer’ game for us. The sensible money will be on a 0-0 draw or 0-1 defeat. 90th+ minute goal anybody?
  • Options
    9 games left, 3 of which are Brentford and Leeds away and of course Millwall at home.

So we effectively have 6 games left and we probably need to win 4.
    Spot on,we definitely don't dare to lose at Hull ,looking back I think Bowyer should have had some experienced older head (ex manager)to have helped him out.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    SDAddick said:

There was a reason Wigan sold him to us when they were promoted to the Championship a few seasons back. 

He was their captain during that promotion season but they obviously knew he weren’t up to the rigours of the Championship!
    Agree.  He’s like the vast majority of our squad.  Not enough quality or consistency, but they give 110% the majority of time they take the pitch.  You can’t question their effort 

All we can do is get behind whoever takes to the pitch between now and the end of the season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think he can do a job with the right players around him and he is a good squad player. It is difficult blaming specific players, there is a cumulative element in the way we play. The midfield is certainly not supporting the defence or attack in the way it did earlier in the season for instance. One thing you notice is the lack of easy balls. I want to see the midfield show more or if they can't do that, we have to go long ball and hope that can get us through. Mind you it isn't just about showing but cutting out the lazy balls too. Maybe there is a link in terms of pressure but Lapslies's ball to Oshilaja against Huddersfield and Purrington's against Boro were examples of poor balls. Different in that Lapslie's was stupid and Purrington's lacked any skill but a symptom of the same issue.

We do need to review all the passing sidewards and back as invariably it breaks down sooner rather than later and we are in trouble.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Phillips: kept us in it and his distribution was much much better than usual
    Matthews: best defender by a mile, which admittedly is feint praise
    Oshilaja: nowhere nearly good enough at this level, paradoxically delivered the best cross of the match
    Pearce: took him 45 minutes to warm up and even showed hitherto concealed turn of pace in the 2nd half, not good tho
    Purrington: being scapegoated by many but our only credible left back acquitted himself well enough
    Pratley: tried to be everywhere all the time and mostly succeeded, unfortunate to get in the way a couple of times but better that than not try like one of his colleagues
    Lapslie: the early schoolboy error seemed to deflate him rather, mistakes happen but he's coughed up more than his fair share since his return.
    Cullen: did what he could in that poxy shape first half and clearly better suited to the plan B
    Williams: very low key showing from him couldn't tell if he was off colour or just didn't fancy it, shoulda got the hook much earlier
    Green: shameful parasite is robbing every penny of his wages - only got involved by accident and when he literally couldn't find a hiding place, didn't try a leg, never got near breaking a sweat, I've rumbled you, you prick, showed Preston what you can do and haven't given a fig since, kindly eff off back to Birmingham you delusional narcissist, even the fat talentless Hemed is of greater value.
    Taylor: our best outfield player, left it all on the pitch as always, without anything quite coming off and being the scandalous referee's chosen fall guy. 
    Bonne: has maybe half the talent of Green but outshines that prick,  Did more in his first 10 minutes than AG deigned to serve up in the full 97.
    Referee: prancing showpony who chose to impose his own version of the rules on the game and royally f"cked us over in the process: rightly booked Shotton for shirt pulling early on, then declined to book his defensive partner for exactly the same offense, chose not to penalise same bloke for the foul on Taylor on the edge of the box so booked LT for being kicked up in the air, having decided he was anti-Taylor he then penalised neither of the 2 defenders who hauled LT to the ground on the goal line at a corner and sat on him, thus denying Charlton one of the clearest penalties I've ever witnessed in 38 years of attending matches.  In short a cheat.  We were effectively playing 12, when we should have been playing no more than 10 for 45 minutes.

Doughty: his immediate impact was somewhat diluted by the swift shift to plan C which saw him shackled at left back when he is our best wide attacking player

Bowyer -  yet another tactical mis-step with yet another formation and different midfield lineup, compounded by sticking with it for far far too long, especially once we were behind and constantly overrun.  Tolerated Green's blatant disinterest, when Macauley Bonne was available.
    The talk on our row, 2nd half on Saturday, was whether Ben Amos was a better bet as a striker than the wheezy has-been Hemed, Ben's certainly fitter, plenty tall and strong enough, he can't be any slower and certainly not for just a 12 minute cameo when any goal however scored, is essential.  If I were BA, I'd be in the superstore getting home and away outfield kits printed up with his name and number in addition to his usual purple/yellow/whatever.  A battering ram was what was required, not a battered old tup. 
  • Options
    Phillips: kept us in it and his distribution was much much better than usual
    Matthews: best defender by a mile, which admittedly is feint praise
    Oshilaja: nowhere nearly good enough at this level, paradoxically delivered the best cross of the match
    Pearce: took him 45 minutes to warm up and even showed hitherto concealed turn of pace in the 2nd half, not good tho
    Purrington: being scapegoated by many but our only credible left back acquitted himself well enough
    Pratley: tried to be everywhere all the time and mostly succeeded, unfortunate to get in the way a couple of times but better that than not try like one of his colleagues
    Lapslie: the early schoolboy error seemed to deflate him rather, mistakes happen but he's coughed up more than his fair share since his return.
    Cullen: did what he could in that poxy shape first half and clearly better suited to the plan B
    Williams: very low key showing from him couldn't tell if he was off colour or just didn't fancy it, shoulda got the hook much earlier
    Green: shameful parasite is robbing every penny of his wages - only got involved by accident and when he literally couldn't find a hiding place, didn't try a leg, never got near breaking a sweat, I've rumbled you, you prick, showed Preston what you can do and haven't given a fig since, kindly eff off back to Birmingham you delusional narcissist, even the fat talentless Hemed is of greater value.
    Taylor: our best outfield player, left it all on the pitch as always, without anything quite coming off and being the scandalous referee's chosen fall guy. 
    Bonne: has maybe half the talent of Green but outshines that prick,  Did more in his first 10 minutes than AG deigned to serve up in the full 97.
    Referee: prancing showpony who chose to impose his own version of the rules on the game and royally f"cked us over in the process: rightly booked Shotton for shirt pulling early on, then declined to book his defensive partner for exactly the same offense, chose not to penalise same bloke for the foul on Taylor on the edge of the box so booked LT for being kicked up in the air, having decided he was anti-Taylor he then penalised neither of the 2 defenders who hauled LT to the ground in the goal line at a corner and sat on him, thus denying Charlton one of the clearest penalties I've ever witnessed in 38 years of attending matches.  In short a cheat.  We were effectively playing 12, when we should have been playing no more than 10 for 45 minutes.

Doughty: his immediate impact was somewhat diluted by the swift shift to plan C which saw him shackled at left back when he is our best wide attacking player

Bowyer -  yet another tactical mis-step with yet another formation and different midfield lineup, compounded by sticking with it for far far too long, especially once we were behind and constantly overrun.  Tolerated Green's blatant disinterest, when Macauley Bonne was available.
    Take a bow son, take a bow