Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Good friend of mines Dad showed symptoms on Sunday,got worse on Monday,collapsed at home,ambulance was called,took 10 hours to get to him,he was taken to hospital,put into a coma and onto a ventilator,he sadly passed away Wednesday afternoon. He had no underlying health issues and was 58. Saw my mate today,he is just stunned and in total disbelief at the speed his Dad was taken from him.😔
  • Options
    We just had the phone call we've been expecting.
    The mother in law's care home has got it's first confirmed case of COVID-19 and what do we want for the MIL if she contracts it?
    Leave her in the home or transfer her to hospital ?
    We said leave her in the home, as she's 92 and at least she knows the staff. 

I think I can see what's possibly going to happen here and it's going to effect my wife indefinitely.
    Fingers crossed mate.

• Options
    Good friend of mines Dad showed symptoms on Sunday,got worse on Monday,collapsed at home,ambulance was called,took 10 hours to get to him,he was taken to hospital,put on into a coma and onto a ventilator,he sadly passed away Wednesday afternoon. He had no underlying health issues and was 58. Saw my mate today,he is just stunned and in total disbelief at the speed his Dad was taken from him.😔
    Sorry to hear this Red.
  • Options
    The missus became ill on Monday, taking to bed straight away, most unlike her. Had a cough and felt lethargic with aches and pains. We rang 111 on Wednesday which was followed by our gp calling her back. Said it’s more than likely Covid. 
    She seems to feel not too bad one day but rough the next. Still has a slight dry cough and a high temp plus feels washed out.
    Paracetamol definitely helps.
    Hope she feels better soon.  Take CE's advice and to still ensure to rest on the days she is feeling better as sounds very similar to what my wife went through the last week.  Fortunately she seems to have turned a corner today and has been out of bed most of the day but very similar in feeling not as bad one day and worse the next....rest is key mate.
  • Options
    The mother in law's care home has got it's first confirmed case of COVID-19 and what do we want for the MIL if she contracts it?

I think I can see what's possibly going to happen here and it's going to effect my wife indefinitely.
    Sorry to hear that, a horrible situation for your wife especially.

A nightmare for the care home workers too
  • Options
    The missus became ill on Monday, taking to bed straight away, most unlike her. Had a cough and felt lethargic with aches and pains. We rang 111 on Wednesday which was followed by our gp calling her back. Said it’s more than likely Covid. 
    She seems to feel not too bad one day but rough the next. Still has a slight dry cough and a high temp plus feels washed out.
    Paracetamol definitely helps.
    Hope she feels better soon.  Take CE's advice and to still ensure to rest on the days she is feeling better as sounds very similar to what my wife went through the last week.  Fortunately she seems to have turned a corner today and has been out of bed most of the day but very similar in feeling not as bad one day and worse the next....rest is key mate.
    Cheers for that. I agree with your previous posts about being difficult to self isolate within a self isolating house too. More difficult than you’d think ! 
    Obviously, staying positive is necessary but the worry is hearing of people, otherwise healthy, losing their battle so quickly.
    Hope your wife keeps on improving.
  • Options
    Wishing you and your family all the best CE.
  • Options

What a decision to be faced with.
    I hope things work out OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My sister who MS is recovering from pneumonia. After some deliberation they now think she has had CV19. 

Before she was diagnosed with it whe was offered to be treated in hospital or at home. She chose the latter. She mowed the lawn today. Clearly on the mend.

My wife and I are on tenterhooks. She works at our local General Hospital. Her office is sandwiched between their 2 CV19 isolation wards. Some staff have been told to stay home. She is in a supervisory category and will almost certainly work through. 
  • Options

Hope things work out mate. Best wishes
  • Options
    Good friend of mines Dad showed symptoms on Sunday,got worse on Monday,collapsed at home,ambulance was called,took 10 hours to get to him,he was taken to hospital,put into a coma and onto a ventilator,he sadly passed away Wednesday afternoon. He had no underlying health issues and was 58. Saw my mate today,he is just stunned and in total disbelief at the speed his Dad was taken from him.😔
    Sorry to read this.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your mother in law, Steve. All the best.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, that must have been awful for them.

And pretty scary too.
  • Options

Really sorry to hear about your MIL; I hope she stays safe.

Whilst I understand your stance, my wife, who is a senior carer in a residential home in Bedfordshire, offers the following contrary view.

My wife is concerned that by leaving a coronavirus patient in a care home, the following unintended consequencies will occur - 

1. The contagion will spread to both other residents and care staff because (a) care home staff will not have the level of clothing protection that is afforded to hospital staff (just basic gowns, masks and gloves). (b) the inability to "social distance" because inevitably, residents in care homes have to be physically handled (washing, toileting, feeding etc. (c) whilst care home staff are trained in "end of life" care, they are not trained to deal with pandemics; many carers, on the minimum wage did not sign up to be put in a life threatening position, whilst I would suggest that NHS staff (and hats off to them), understand there is an element of risk involved with their profession.

There is no right or wrong solution but I thought I would provide my wife's alternative views to your post.

Once again, fingers crossed for your MIL. 

• Options

Sorry to hear that CE. No easy answer. I am dreading a call too about my Mum at home in Blackheath. Her breathing is not good at the best of times. She has told me she will not survive if she gets Covid. At 91 I agree with her. I live in Wales and have MS so nothing I can do if things take a turn for the worse. 
  • Options
    I had the flu jab back in Oct 2019, i have felt fine and don't think i have had CV19. Just wondering has anybody else had the jab and been ok.? 

It heartbreaking to hear peoples stories of family and friends taken before their time by this spiteful virus.

I send my condolences to those that have lost people. I hope all fellow Lifers and their families stay well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've been through the wringer today (although I'm not complaining as others are in far worse positions).
    The nursing home phoned at 11am and said the MIL has gone downhill fast and did my wife want to come & see her.
    My wife said are you saying she is likely to die and the reply was yes, although probably not in the next 48 hours.
    Apparently, she was totally confused, hadn't eaten for 48 hours, due to constant sickness.

So we spend some considerable time speaking to family & friends, lots of tears and we finally decide we shouldn't visit, due to the obvious risks.

A few hours later my wife phones the home to see if she can talk to her mum.
    She talks to her and whilst very garbled, she didn't have her teeth in, but was making sense and knew who she was talking to.

I gesture to my wife for the phone, as she was about to hang up.

I ask the member of staff to confirm that they have COVID-19 in the home.
    She enquires as to why I ask and I explain that a doctor apparently phoned my SIL yesterday, advising that there was COVID and whether we wanted her to remain or go to hospital, if she contracts COVID.

She said there's no evidence to say they have COVID and they have no way of knowing as there is no testing.
    If a member of staff is unwell they are sent home.

I asked if the MIL possibly had COVID (bearing in mind all of the above) and was told she has no temperature and no cough.

So is my MIL expected to die in the next few days as we were led to believe this morning ?

Answer, no not necessarily, she could last for months, especially if she starts eating again, but is now classified as on end of life care.

She was 92 this week so had a better innings than most, but by God today has been an emotional rollercoaster.
  • Options
    Sounds like she's hanging in there CE.
  • Options
    We've been through the wringer today (although I'm not complaining as others are in far worse positions).
    The nursing home phoned at 11am and said the MIL has gone downhill fast and did my wife want to come & see her.
    My wife said are you saying she is likely to die and the reply was yes, although probably not in the next 48 hours.
    Apparently, she was totally confused, hadn't eaten for 48 hours, due to constant sickness.

So we spend some considerable time speaking to family & friends, lots of tears and we finally decide we shouldn't visit, due to the obvious risks.

A few hours later my wife phones the home to see if she can talk to her mum.
    She talks to her and whilst very garbled, she didn't have her teeth in, but was making sense and knew who she was talking to.

I gesture to my wife for the phone, as she was about to hang up.

I ask the member of staff to confirm that they have COVID-19 in the home.
    She enquires as to why I ask and I explain that a doctor apparently phoned my SIL yesterday, advising that there was COVID and whether we wanted her to remain or go to hospital, if she contracts COVID.

She said there's no evidence to say they have COVID and they have no way of knowing as there is no testing.
    If a member of staff is unwell they are sent home.

I asked if the MIL possibly had COVID (bearing in mind all of the above) and was told she has no temperature and no cough.

So is my MIL expected to die in the next few days as we were led to believe this morning ?

Answer, no not necessarily, she could last for months, especially if she starts eating again, but is now classified as on end of life care.

She was 92 this week so had a better innings than most, but by God today has been an emotional rollercoaster.
    A horrible situation for you to go through, I had an aunt in that situation last year, where she could have been gone in days or could have hung on for several months, it would have been awful for her daughters not to be able to visit her during that time
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this. I'm the same age and this is really shocking.
  • Options
    @Covered End, very sorry to hear of your dreadful day - so emotional for everyone.

Don't give up hope - if your MIL has got dehydrated through sickness, other (treatable) things can follow, like urinary tract infections.  I'm sure a care home would be familiar with such things and get her medicated.  I went through several episodes of this with my Mum when she was in her 90s.  Fingers crossed it is something like that, and that she will pick up.  
  • Options
    I had the flu jab back in Oct 2019, i have felt fine and don't think i have had CV19. Just wondering has anybody else had the jab and been ok.? 

It heartbreaking to hear peoples stories of family and friends taken before their time by this spiteful virus.

I send my condolences to those that have lost people. I hope all fellow Lifers and their families stay well.

Flu jab won't do anything to prevent this unfortunately. 
  • Options
    @killerandflash and @alan dugdale I am the same, I just can't shake it off. One day I think I am nearly well the next I go back to aches and high temps. I don't know if this is me being naively optimistic but it seems that most of the really sadly stories I am hearing are about people who get it and deteriorate really quickly. Whilst mine is just a general feeling of being shit (day 10).

I am working from home but working very long hours as part of organising a response, has anybody else had similar experience and if so when did you finally feel better?
  • Options
    Yeah I have no way of knowing what I have, but resting isn't an option at the moment.

Does take your mind of the football shenanigans though.