Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    In terms of self isolating in households when someone has symptoms...does anyone know what the guidance is in terms of sleeping in the same room together etc?

Should they effectively quarantine themselves from the whole family in the household for 7 days or is it ok to carry on sleeping in the same bed as them etc?

Want to ideally keep sleeping in there to keep an eye on them during the night/ be there if they need anything but then hearing about the viral load stuff is that being overly risky?

Nothing on the official guidance in this respect from what i have seen.
  • Options
    I think it's a quarantine within a quarantine mate. Sleep in separate rooms. Visit the kitchen etc at different times.

Good luck with it
  • Options
    I think it's a quarantine within a quarantine mate. Sleep in separate rooms. Visit the kitchen etc at different times.

Good luck with it
     I would suggest in most cases it's completely impractical, but you've got to try I suppose.

If kids are the ones with symptoms then it's completely impossible.
  • Options
    Thanks mate.  Yeah we will try and do it as best as possible.
  • Options
    Anyone got any experience of a relative or contact being hospitalised and recovering?

Mum's best mate was taken in yesterday, pre-existing heart conditions, confirmed this morning that he has covid-19. Naturally worry is taking over, more so from my point of view in respect that my mum relies on him for her walks and everyday company in normal times. She's in Bucks, long way from me, fit and well for 76, but this is obviously a shock and worse could yet follow.

I'd like to think there are recovery stories but maybe they're not getting much coverage, though likely as it's early days, may be it's too early to expect recovery stories yet. 

I found these reports, which give a bit of hope- 
    https://amp.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/recovered-survived-coronavirus-stories-symptoms/

https://www.heart.co.uk/news/coronavirus/grandma-95-oldest-survivor-covid-19/

Anyone got anymore, or stories of people getting through after being hospitalised, even though appreciating it's relatively early days here in the uk?  Hoping there are plenty to come.

• Options
    In terms of self isolating in households when someone has symptoms...does anyone know what the guidance is in terms of sleeping in the same room together etc?

Should they effectively quarantine themselves from the whole family in the household for 7 days or is it ok to carry on sleeping in the same bed as them etc?

Want to ideally keep sleeping in there to keep an eye on them during the night/ be there if they need anything but then hearing about the viral load stuff is that being overly risky?

Nothing on the official guidance in this respect from what i have seen.
    I probably should have gone up to the loft but stayed in our bedroom & slept in same bed as the wife.
    It's day 10 and the other 3 have shown no signs.

I did my best not to touch any surfaces, handles etc and used separate towels from the others.
  • Options
    Thanks CE
  • Options
    Thanks @carly burn

The emphasis in the official stats is still mainly on case numbers and deaths, which is understandable perhaps as the key messages are around taking precautions to flatten the peak. It would be comforting to get some stats relating to people recovering after hospital admission, in due course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree it sounds impossible but it has to be around keeping the person who has it in isolation in the house and cleaning all surfaces. But that might be easier in some households than others. I am thinking, if one of us gets it, all three of us will get it. At least we will contain it within the house.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Very interesting @N01R4M, thanks very much. Only 135 cases so far recovered out of the c.20,000 hospitalised. As I thought, not enough as of yet!

• Options
    A good childhood friend's uncle died yesterday. 56, was overweight but by no means obese, no other health conditions that they were aware of. Really decent bloke except for being a Palace fan, starting to hit a lot more knowing people getting ill or worse. 
  • Options
    A good childhood friend's uncle died yesterday. 56, was overweight but by no means obese, no other health conditions that they were aware of. Really decent bloke except for being a Palace fan, starting to hit a lot more knowing people getting ill or worse. 
    Very sad to hear.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Very interesting @N01R4M, thanks very much. Only 135 cases so far recovered out of the c.20,000 hospitalised. As I thought, not enough as of yet!

It appears this data is not being updated as the figure still stands at 135!
    Anyone got a better source?  I think I heard a number in the 10s of thousands quoted on the BBC yesterday, but I wasn't paying close attention at the time.
  • Options
    Very sad to hear.
    Thanks. Each and every life lost is sad, underlaying health condition or not. 
  • Options
    Thanks CE
    RCT- Have just PM'd you.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    N01R4M said:

It appears this data is not being updated as the figure still stands at 135!
    Anyone got a better source?  I think I heard a number in the 10s of thousands quoted on the BBC yesterday, but I wasn't paying close attention at the time.
    Still showing 135 recovered though the world ometer figures were updated an hour ago...
  • Options
    I think I might have it now.

Woke up fine yesterday morning (just a bit hungover!). Had a shower later on that morning and straight afterwards started to feel a bit achey. Had a normal lunch but didn't go out just in case. By the evening I had this heavy feeling on my chest and a very slight fever. Went to bed and it developed into a proper fever (hot and cold flushes and my body shaking for a few minutes), but woke up 4am and the fever had gone (the other symptoms were still there). Indeed I got up to make a sandwich as I was starving and couldn't sleep because of it

No cough yet, just the aches and heavy/tight chest, and a bit of sneezing.
    I still can't work out whether I've had it or a cold/flu. Basically all week I've fluctuated between feeling a bit better and feeling a bit worse without feeling terrible, hints of a very slight fever (but not the full blown one from last Saturday), a heavy chest (maybe breathing 10% affected) an occasional headache and various aches around my body. No dry cough, and no sore throat.

• Options
    I don’t get these ‘recovered’ stats. If you don’t test everyone and so have no idea how many mild or no symptoms cases you have, what does it mean?

People hospitalised (a tiny fraction of the UK population likely to have had the virus) who are discharged? When would you discharge them? 

I just don’t know how the stats are compiled and I think to some extent it varies Trust by Trust in the UK, the same in different thread of other countries and also as between countries.

I know at least 20 people including me and my son who are likely to have ‘survived’ the virus and none of have been tested. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    We just had the phone call we've been expecting.
    The mother in law's care home has got it's first confirmed case of COVID-19 and what do we want for the MIL if she contracts it?
    Leave her in the home or transfer her to hospital ?
    We said leave her in the home, as she's 92 and at least she knows the staff. 

I think I can see what's possibly going to happen here and it's going to effect my wife indefinitely.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that mate, all the best 
  • Options
    So sorry to read this, @Covered End
    Best wishes for all concerned.
  • Options
    The mother in law's care home has got it's first confirmed case of COVID-19 and what do we want for the MIL if she contracts it?

I think I can see what's possibly going to happen here and it's going to effect my wife indefinitely.
    I'm so sorry to hear that, it must be awful for you.
  • Options
    That's horrible CE, I can't see too many care homes staying virus free which is very worrying. My great aunt passed away in February aged 96 and had been living in one for 4 years, thankfully she missed this but keep thinking about the other residents that we got to know the faces of or spoke to. 
  • Options
    The missus became ill on Monday, taking to bed straight away, most unlike her. Had a cough and felt lethargic with aches and pains. We rang 111 on Wednesday which was followed by our gp calling her back. Said it’s more than likely Covid. 
    She seems to feel not too bad one day but rough the next. Still has a slight dry cough and a high temp plus feels washed out.
    Paracetamol definitely helps.
  • Options

I can only sympathise with you in the situation you are in and send my best wishes. My mother was in a care home for a number of years after a road accident and she passed away a few years ago.
    I know how difficult I would be finding it if this pandemic had happened whilst she was alive, so I really hope it works out as best it can for all of you.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your MIL @Covered End best wishes.