Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living with Corona virus - sufferers thread

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    clb74 said:
    I think I had Covid 20th -27th March.
    The wife and 2 sons haven't been out the house since the lock down.
    I've gone shopping once a week.
    The youngest as of 15th April is now showing the same symptoms I had.
    Hot & cold, slight temperature at present, very achy, tender skin, feeling dizzy & a headache & slight cough.
    So that's 19 days after I felt better.
    Sorry to hear that CE.
    With you not 100% sure you had it does it mean you have to isolate.
    Well I'd say not for me as if he's got it (probably has), then I've already had it.
    It's just that they had to isolate for 14 days after i was "better" and yet he's now got it 19 days after I was better.
    Unless, he got it off the shopping from Tesco.
    Please don't take any risks.  If you're in a household where someone has symptoms, you must - despite it being an utter ball-ache - isolate for fourteen days.  The only exception would be if you were tested in hospital and were shown to be positive.  
    Are we saying then.
    CE needs to isolate for 14 days then if after 21 days his wife gets the symptoms  CE needs to isolate for a further 14 daysm
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Chizz said:
    clb74 said:
    Hot & cold, slight temperature at present, very achy, tender skin, feeling dizzy & a headache & slight cough.
    Sorry to hear that CE.
    Well I'd say not for me as if he's got it (probably has), then I've already had it.
    It's just that they had to isolate for 14 days after i was "better" and yet he's now got it 19 days after I was better.
    Please don't take any risks.  If you're in a household where someone has symptoms, you must - despite it being an utter ball-ache - isolate for fourteen days.  The only exception would be if you were tested in hospital and were shown to be positive.  
    Are we saying then.
    CE needs to isolate for 14 days then if after 21 days his wife gets the symptoms  CE needs to isolate for a further 14 daysm
    "We" aren't saying it, the government is. 

Put simply, if someone in a household has symptoms, that person has to isolate for seven days from the day they first showed symptoms, and everyone else in the household has to isolate for fourteen days. 

UNLESS... you've been tested positive, in hospital. 
  • Options
    I heard this morning that my niece-in-law's father passed away this morning, after losing his fight against Coronavirus. It has made today an even sadder day, because it would also have been my other nephew's wedding day and all the family would have been  together. I just hope that everyone else gets through these awful times, so that we can all celebrate their wedding whenever that may be. 

Very sad news @ME14addick. So sorry to hear that. xx
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Sorry to hear that CE.

Without knowing a great deal, I would think that getting it from you was unlikely considering the 14 day isolation period they recommend.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I heard this morning that my niece-in-law's father passed away this morning, after losing his fight against Coronavirus. It has made today an even sadder day, because it would also have been my other nephew's wedding day and all the family would have been  together. I just hope that everyone else gets through these awful times, so that we can all celebrate their wedding whenever that may be. 

Very sad news @ME14addick. So sorry to hear that. xx
    @Arsenetatters thanks Alison,  it must be so hard for people like my nephew's wife as she can't grieve in the normal way with the help of family and friends. She wasn't able to see or speak to her dad in the days before he died.  Luckily they have two lovely children who are helping them to cope and they managed to have a nice Easter with an Easter egg hunt in their garden.

Hope you are well. Take care xx
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Sorry to hear that CE.
    He might have caught it from you on day 14 and only started showing signs of it on day 19
  • Options
    I think CE is suggesting 19 days after the end of his 7 days = 26 days
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I was unwell from Friday 20th to 27th March, so was allowed out 28th March.
    No one except me has been out the house since Monday 30th March. 

It's still a bit of a mystery how he started feeling ill on the evening of April 14th, 18 days after I'm not contagious and no one else has been out.
    I have brought shopping into the house.

Anyway, he's a little better today, so there's no concerns, I just thought I'd mention it out of interest.
  • Options
    I was unwell from Friday 20th to 27th March, so was allowed out 28th March.
    No one except me has been out the house since Monday 30th March. 

It's still a bit of a mystery how he started feeling ill on the evening of April 14th, 18 days after I'm not contagious and no one else has been out.
    I have brought shopping into the house.

Anyway, he's a little better today, so there's no concerns, I just thought I'd mention it out of interest.
    It's good that you're better.  It's very good that you and everyone in the household followed instructions and isolated. (And, frankly, when the history of 2020 comes to be written, the people that followed that advice should be held up as a shining example of the very best that the British people are able to do, when the cards are stacked against them: we've all had to bite the bullet and get on with it, simply for other people's benefit.  I hope the people that do that are seen as heroes by future generations). 

It's also very, very good that he's a little better today.  But, of course, you have the ball-ache that he has to isolate for four more days and everyone else for another eleven. (With the excpetion of you, if you had a positive test, in hospital). 

I with you all, all the best. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw this on the BBC yesterday and have to say the headline was alarming, especially if you have children like I do.  Then I read the report, less than 20 cases across the country.  Clearly still a risk and something to watch bit maybe not (yet at least) worthy of the big BBC headline and top of the page news it was given.
  • Options
    hayfever, the common cold, flu all kicking about - i am eligible for a test as key worker and have an access code to get one, but at present i do not need one. 
  • Options
    Does the code expire or do you keep it for as long as you need it.
  • Options
    i believe i can keep it as long as i need, currently could access a test at greenwich or ebbsfleet for tomorrow for me and up to 4 of my household. 

the test is for those with symptoms - i currently do not have symptoms, a temperature or a continuous cough. 
  • Options
    I saw this on the BBC yesterday and have to say the headline was alarming, especially if you have children like I do.  Then I read the report, less than 20 cases across the country.  Clearly still a risk and something to watch bit maybe not (yet at least) worthy of the big BBC headline and top of the page news it was given.
    It’s worth getting ahead of that though, considering countries that got a lock down well before Coronavirus properly hit their countries are now starting to come out of lockdown. Need to stop children from mingling with other children to stop this strain in its tracks.
  • Options
    Anyone had a test
    ?
  • Options
    It’s worth getting ahead of that though, considering countries that got a lock down well before Coronavirus properly hit their countries are now starting to come out of lockdown. Need to stop children from mingling with other children to stop this strain in its tracks.
    Any other countries reporting this?
  • Options
    Last day of isolation tomorrow after developing symptoms last week.  Only had the cough, which as others have mentioned is worse at night and only had one day when I felt lethargic and just laid down all day.

Mystery is how the virus entered our family group (our daughter and family moved in on 27 March) given we all went on voluntary lockdown early March and had no contact with each other until 27 March when they moved in. Since when no one has been out of the house. My daughter succumbed first in middle of April and stayed in her room for 7 days then I caught it on the seventh day.  She had it worse than me.

Can only surmise it's contaminated packaging, particularly given number of deliveries, but even then we handled everything with gloves and tried cleaning everything entering the house.
  • Options
    Not necessarily, given the incubation period's 14 days and you can be asymptomatic and still infectious. It's possible one of her family had it very mildly, gave it to her and she gave it to you.
  • Options
    Last day of isolation tomorrow after developing symptoms last week.  Only had the cough, which as others have mentioned is worse at night and only had one day when I felt lethargic and just laid down all day.

Mystery is how the virus entered our family group (our daughter and family moved in on 27 March) given we all went on voluntary lockdown early March and had no contact with each other until 27 March when they moved in. Since when no one has been out of the house. My daughter succumbed first in middle of April and stayed in her room for 7 days then I caught it on the seventh day.  She had it worse than me.

Can only surmise it's contaminated packaging, particularly given number of deliveries, but even then we handled everything with gloves and tried cleaning everything entering the house.
    Be sure to still look after yourself, I thought I was alright then threw myself into some stressful project for work and the virus’ second wave hit. Which was worse than the first, or at the very least a lot longer lasting than the first wave. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Over 65s can be tested from tomorrow aswell as those that need to go out to work
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Over 65s can be tested from tomorrow aswell as those that need to go out to work
    If you're referring to the "Live, Downing Street " info, I think it states that "all over 65's in households with symptoms " can now be tested. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    If you're referring to the "Live, Downing Street " info, I think it states that "all over 65's in households with symptoms " can now be tested. 
    Yes sorry Fanny have to be showing symptoms.
    Doesnt affect you being 49
  • Options

Your daughter caught Covid @ 18 days after you locked down.

In not dissimilar circumstances my son caught it after @18 days as well.
    (18 days after I was "better" and no one had left the house apart from me).
  • Options
    Does anyone have any updates on SoundAsa£ as not seen anything?
    I hope you are recovering well, SoundAsa£.
  • Options
    We believe my eldest has it and there are three others in the house. Has anyone got any practical advice on distancing/cleaning within the house? So far the measures we have in place are:
    • He is confined to his room, except for bathroom visits.
    • He has a pack of anti-bac wipes and cleans handles and surfaces he's touched on his visits.
    • Food is left just inside the door to his room, he is at the other end. 
    • All washing up, ours as well as his, is soaked in a bowl of sterilising agent (good old home brewing) before being put into the dishwasher - all a bit Mark Corrigan. 
    • His towel is kept in his room rather than on the towel rack. His toothbrush is in a separate glass rather than the toothbrush rack.
    • His dirty laundry goes in a black bin bag for transfer to washing machine.
    • Life seems like a constant round of hand washing.
    Anything else we ought to be doing?

• Options

My thoughts would be to-

1.Get fresh air into his room, I.e. make sure he's got a window open.

2. A home testing kit to be sure and save yourselves some of the faff if he doesn't actually have it.

3. Call 111 (? - for general advice, especially if more vulnerable people are in the household, and to get the potential case notified, and enquire about a home testing kit).
  • Options
    The official advice is bag up his rubbish (tissues, antibac wipes) separately, set aside for 3 days, and then put in a second bag before putting out with the rubbish. I vaguely recall seeing something about making sure he opens the windows in his room daily, although I'm not sure if that's just to make sure he's getting some fresh air, or because it helps disperse any virus particles he's been shedding. (If he's a teenager that's probably good advice anyway). It might be an idea to set him up with a washbag with travel size toiletries and his toothbrush and own toothpaste that he brings with him along with the towel to minimise the risk of accidental cross contamination.
    Oh, and I can recommend the Neutrogena unscented hand cream to help stop your hands drying out from all the handwashing.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    We believe my eldest has it and there are three others in the house. Has anyone got any practical advice on distancing/cleaning within the house? So far the measures we have in place are:
    • He is confined to his room, except for bathroom visits.
    • He has a pack of anti-bac wipes and cleans handles and surfaces he's touched on his visits.
    • Food is left just inside the door to his room, he is at the other end. 
    • All washing up, ours as well as his, is soaked in a bowl of sterilising agent (good old home brewing) before being put into the dishwasher - all a bit Mark Corrigan. 
    • His towel is kept in his room rather than on the towel rack. His toothbrush is in a separate glass rather than the toothbrush rack.
    • His dirty laundry goes in a black bin bag for transfer to washing machine.
    • Life seems like a constant round of hand washing.
    Anything else we ought to be doing?

Seems like you're doing a great job.  I can't add anything to your list and the other suggestions by @swords_alive and @aliwibble - except to remind you about being extra careful with the bin bag/washing.  If I were you, I would be meticulous in ensuring you don't touch any of the washing, or (critically) the inside of the bin bag.  So, I would take a second bin bag to the washing machine, empty the contents of the first one into the washing machine and put it immediately into the second one, wash your hands and then tie the second one up, washing your hands again.  

Might seem overkill; but it might prevent infection - it would certainly put my mind at ease. 
  • Options
    One of my big concerns is how people will react towards me in the next months......or years even.
    I guess I won’t be shaking hands or hugging anyone for the foreseeable future.🤕