Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Discontinued food / drinks you miss

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Caramac to be discontinued.  

Can't remember the last time I bought one tbf, but it's a shame as it is quite distinctive from other bars.  The name is made up from Caramel and Mac (as in Macintosh) the original producers in 1959.

https://news.sky.com/story/caramac-bars-to-be-discontinued-after-more-than-60-years-13003292
    Loved these when I was a kid. Hadn't seen them for many years then saw some in a little corner shop so bought one for old times sake. Either my taste or the recipe has changed but I found it revoltingly sweet. If I ate these as a kid it's no wonder my teeth are so poor.
    I recently picked up a tube of Fruit Pastilles and Crunchy bar, after not having eaten them for about 20 years and as you say they were incredibly sweet and nothing like I remembered them!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Chicken in a basket at Berni Inns and Golden Eggs.

Neither were great per se but when you were churning out the miles up and down the UK and starving way back when they were better and better value than motorway service stations.
    The Valley Club used to serve a mean chicken in a basket back in the day.
    What happened to all those baskets that were popular back in the 70s and maybe 80s?

Mine from the Valley club usually reappeared half way up Charlton lane.
  • Options
    I remember loving camp coffee made with milk and fig roll biscuits as a child, seeing them both on a rare shopping trip with my wife I bought some. Bloody awful. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Caramac to be discontinued.  

Can't remember the last time I bought one tbf, but it's a shame as it is quite distinctive from other bars.  The name is made up from Caramel and Mac (as in Macintosh) the original producers in 1959.

https://news.sky.com/story/caramac-bars-to-be-discontinued-after-more-than-60-years-13003292
    Loved these when I was a kid. Hadn't seen them for many years then saw some in a little corner shop so bought one for old times sake. Either my taste or the recipe has changed but I found it revoltingly sweet. If I ate these as a kid it's no wonder my teeth are so poor.
    I recently picked up a tube of Fruit Pastilles and Crunchy bar, after not having eaten them for about 20 years and as you say they were incredibly sweet and nothing like I remembered them!
    Probably partly you not having a sweet tooth as much as you did as a kid, but in terms of the Crunchie, Cadbury chocolate is definitely sweeter and less creamy than it was - American owners using cheaper ingredients etc I think.
  • Options
    I failed to find Lilt in Tesco. To my surprise i discovered it had been discontinued earlier in the year.
  • Options
    Pacers
  • Options
    TURKEY TWIZZLERS ARE COMING BACK

Bernard Matthews teased the return of something a few days ago and everyone suspected it was them and they have now confirmed its Turkey Twizzlers.

Slight difference as it's Chill Cheese or Tangy Tomato but I cant wait to try them and see how they taste lol.

Bet Jamie Oliver is doing his nut somewhere.

They are diabolical. 

No where near the elegant,beautiful and fine taste that were once Turkey Twizzlers. Those who have made these new things with the same name should be ashamed. 

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I failed to find Lilt in Tesco. To my surprise i discovered it had been discontinued earlier in the year.
    it still exists but its been Americanised. Fanta Pineapple and grapefruit. Marketing own goal but I think Coca-cola cooperation will get by. 
  • Options
    Brannagans crisps
  • Options
    TURKEY TWIZZLERS ARE COMING BACK

Bernard Matthews teased the return of something a few days ago and everyone suspected it was them and they have now confirmed its Turkey Twizzlers.

Slight difference as it's Chill Cheese or Tangy Tomato but I cant wait to try them and see how they taste lol.

Bet Jamie Oliver is doing his nut somewhere.

They are diabolical. 

No where near the elegant,beautiful and fine taste that were once Turkey Twizzlers. Those who have made these new things with the same name should be ashamed. 

I never had the originals, my wife did as a kid and loved them so got those - they were absolutely horrible.

She couldn't remember if they'd always been like that but as a kid she liked them, or if they've changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Might have said this before, but Mingles.
  • Options
    Also there were little baguette shaped garlic baguette flavoured crackers they did in the tubes near Christmas (like twiglets, mini cheddars come in now), and they were so good.

Can't even find evidence they existed now but I'm positive they did!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I remember loving camp coffee made with milk and fig roll biscuits as a child, seeing them both on a rare shopping trip with my wife I bought some. Bloody awful. 
    Remember it? I can still taste it 😟
  • Options
    Also there were little baguette shaped garlic baguette flavoured crackers they did in the tubes near Christmas (like twiglets, mini cheddars come in now), and they were so good.

Have you asked the same question on Reddit? If not, you're not the only one looking...

• Options
    Do they still do Angel Delight? Used to drink the Butterscotch one before it had a chance to set. Got a few clips round the ear for that.

Along with -
    - Eating squirty cream straight from the aerosol can.
    - Eating prawn flavoured Primula cheese straight from the tube.
    - Making a cheeky sugar sandwich.

Was allowed to lick the cake mix from the bowl and me, my brother and the old man would clean the chicken bones on a Sunday. Ate the parsons nose until I realised what it was....
  • Options
    Potato puffs
  • Options
    Risoles, with Smash. 60s 
    Plumstead dining at its best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elvis Juice, which is my favourite tipple and was temporarily replaced by newly formulated Elvis juice, which clearly wasn’t as popular as it was discontinued.

I was bereft and wrote to Brewdog to complain!

• Options
    Mosscat said:
    Potato puffs
    Absolutely. Used to love these. Had them at primary school. I was the potato puff monitor :smile: Also used to get a 3rd of a pint of milk (free). Circa 1969
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Was allowed to lick the cake mix from the bowl...
    In my house the cake mix tasted better than the cake! 
  • Options
    Caramac
  • Options

Have you asked the same question on Reddit? If not, you're not the only one looking...

I haven't!!   Glad someone else remembered!!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Elvis Juice, which is my favourite tipple and was temporarily replaced by newly formulated Elvis juice, which clearly wasn’t as popular as it was discontinued.

Didn't know it had been stopped, was a good beer.
  • Options
    IAgree said:

No, the shitehawks nerfed the ABV and in doing so reduced what was a rich, deep and gorgeous IPA into fizzy fruity piss. I also was very vocal towards Brewdog about that decision and spent a fortune hunting down all the 6.5% cans of Elvis Juice I could track down online. They then, rightly went back to the old recipe and ABV
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Ready Salted Chipsticks.
    You can only get Salt and Vinegar flavour these days, which taste way too much of vinegar and seem to strip the lining from my mouth
  • Options
    Carter said:
    IAgree said:

No, the shitehawks nerfed the ABV and in doing so reduced what was a rich, deep and gorgeous IPA into fizzy fruity piss. I also was very vocal towards Brewdog about that decision and spent a fortune hunting down all the 6.5% cans of Elvis Juice I could track down online. They then, rightly went back to the old recipe and ABV
    Ah ok, glad it's back then!!