Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoke Free Pubs

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    It means alot to me, being able to have a smoke free pint. I no longer get that urge for a cigarette and, in the words of James Brown, I feel good. Its a truly wonderful feeling. Honestly, try giving up for a day and see how much better you feel.

when i gave up for 2 years. i didn't notice a difference. nothing tasted better, i couldn't all of a sudden run further, my skin wasn't any better, it wasnt bad in the first place. nothing changed !

they are just incentives (fake ones) to make people believe that giving up is good (which it is for your insides) but really....how different do you really feel?

you're just high from your minty chewing gum!!! :-)

I know. Whats worrying is its sugar free chewing gum.

I'm not anticipating that giving up smoking will in any way, dramatically better me. I just feel good, knowing that I'm a better person for not smoking, and having the heart, desire and mental strength to just stop. Its a mental thing really, as opposed to a physical thing.
  • Options
    disclaimers: so that would mean legal prostitution and all sorts?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]ive not had a fag since sunday... i dont feel any different

Precisely. So why smoke???

Because I enjoy it.

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]stu why cant you smoke indoors???

Technically it's a work place.
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]What about the staff that have to work there, its all about litigation, employee rights etc. which necessitated a ban.

Work somewhere else if it's that much of a problem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]only thing i hate about smoking is in a restaurant or whilst eating in a garden. never smoked around eaters. and expected others to do the same. apart from that, smoke away!

That as well used to wind me up.

Don't want to come across as sexist, but I always felt a little uneasy smoking around women as well. Can't explain that one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]What about the staff that have to work there, its all about litigation, employee rights etc. which necessitated a ban.

Work somewhere else if it's that much of a problem?

Good one :-) (I'm assuming that was a joke)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, I'm deadly serious, if I felt my work place was bad for my health, I'd work somewhere else.
  • Options
    I wouldn't. I'd fight tooth and nail to improve conditions. In fairness, the smoking ban does improve peoples working conditions.
  • Options
    Not if their a smoker it doesnt.
  • Options
    Smoking is harmful to your health. By banning it in work places, are you not creating a healthier work place. Ie. A better workplace?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Smoking is harmful to your health. By banning it in work places, are you not creating a healthier work place. Ie. A better workplace?

Working conditions and healthier conditions are not the same though, I know which I'd prefer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im loving the smoke free pubs!!

best decision made in a long time!!!
  • Options
    going out for a FEW tomorrow night so looking forward to it for 2 reasons . 1 to get pissed 2. to go home not smelling of smoke.
  • Options
    Must admit, I was impressed when I went on a Stag do to Cork! (early this year)
    Clothes not stinky (apart from pants)!

Went to We anchor for grub tonight and noticed the cleaner atmosphere.
    It was very busy too!
    Non smokers are defo coming out in force.
    The wife will have no excuses for taking the kids to the pub for a beer and meet up with the lads!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]Im loving the smoke free pubs!!

best decision made in a long time!!!

Having went to the pub near where my boss lives - he plays darts for a pub team in the Farnborough area. I plan to start going to the poker nights again at my local as I will no longer have to sit between two chimneys.

As for station platforms - I think it is railway byelaws that ban it in the open parts of it rather than the national legislation. Rail byelaw 3: No person shall smoke or carry a lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, match, lighter or other lighted item on any part of the railway on or near which there is a notice indicating that smoking is not allowed. Midland Mainline had already banned smoking (though station announcements on Monday still stated it being a no-smoking policy) for several months on their stations.

Incidentally byelaw 7: Music, sound, advertising and carrying on a trade
    (1) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
    (i) sing; or
    (ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

So perhaps I should inform the senior conductor/train manager/guard (or whatever he or she is called) if I get annoyed by someone's awful mobile phone ringtones (very likely being used without written permission).
  • Options
    Smoke free pubs are great :-)
  • Options
    so i went out last night for a quick bite to eat in wagas then for some drinks around london with my best mate. chose some terrible places to go, but did notice a difference this morning when i didn't have to wash my hair as it didn't stink.

weird. not craving cigs now, as i'm ill, which is bad, but good at the same time as it'll stop me wanting to smoke!
  • Options
    Bradleys should be a great place to go now :-)
    Great little bar, but smokey as hell before.
  • Options
    ....Has anyone heard of any person dying from not having a cigarette?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]....Has anyone heard of any person dying from not having a cigarette?

Too true.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Suzi - have you heard Richard Hawley?

I've been listening to 'Coles Corner' recently and it is amazing - he has a deep, mellifluous voice .... Roy Orbison meets Ian McCulloch meets Frank Sinatra meets Morrissey meets Elvis

When they collected their Mercury Prize, one of the Arctic Monkeys said "someone call the police, Richard Hawley has been robbed"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Smoking is harmful to your health. By banning it in work places, are you not creating a healthier work place. Ie. A better workplace?

Working conditions and healthier conditions are not the same though, I know which I'd prefer.

Of course. But the majority prefer the healthier conditions. Hence why it was brought in.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How many people roughly in Scotland and Ireland lost their jobs because the pubs they worked in had to close down due to loss of income, as a direct result of the smoking ban, that to me is far, far worse.
  • Options
    It's bollocks the smoking ban, typical British government, small minded PR induced bullshit.

Every single pub I have been to since it come in has been dead in comparison to what it would be like previously. All the non-smokers who didn't use pubs before that are going in them now will soon let the novelty wear off.

And a lot of older smokers are not bothering with pubs now because instead of being able to keep themselves to themselves and smoke in peace they now have to go out into (what can be) a quite intimidating atmosphere of people they don't know crowded into a small area.

It is absolute bullshit. We are all slowly going to hell in a handcart
  • Options

Of course. But the majority prefer the healthier conditions. Hence why it was brought in.

How many people roughly in Scotland and Ireland lost their jobs because the pubs they worked in had to close down due to loss of income, as a direct result of the smoking ban, that to me is far, far worse.

No idea is the honest answer. But is that the employees fault, the governments fault, or due to the indiscipline of people not being able to go a couple of hours without a ciggie?
  • Options
    it will all end in anarchy i tell you.

sunday night i was in the Tapas in charlton (which is also a thai place now) and they have an accoustic night every other sunday. at one stage in the evening the musicians (playing one cello and two guitars) went out into the street to play to the smokers as the majority were outside... you can imagine the neighbours delight in this! was funny tho.

whoever said your hangovers arent as bad when you dont smoke was a LIAR!!!!

im loving it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Suzi - have you heard Richard Hawley?

I've been listening to 'Coles Corner' recently and it is amazing - he has a deep, mellifluous voice .... Roy Orbison meets Ian McCulloch meets Frank Sinatra meets Morrissey meets Elvis

When they collected their Mercury Prize, one of the Arctic Monkeys said "someone call the police, Richard Hawley has been robbed"

heard of him, haven't heard his stuff.
    i'm currently getting copies of: Concretes, chem bros, cribs, sfa, justice, white stripes, pigeon detectives, sunshine underground and the little ones albums.
    and getting a mix tape of songs from the following: rev & makers, jack pen, kate nash, rumblestrips, enemy, adele, ting tings.
    i bought the bees, css, the holloways and get cape wear cape fly. but still loving candi payne at the mo!! have you heard her????
    will ask if he can put some richard hawley on it!

currently i'm in rock mode, as going to see metallica on sunday :-)
  • Options

No idea is the honest answer. But is that the employees fault, the governments fault, or due to the indiscipline of people not being able to go a couple of hours without a ciggie?

The governments fault, its a stupid dictatorial law.
  • Options
    does anyone know what suzi is talking about?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]does anyone know what suzi is talking about?
    Does Suzi??? ;o)

How did you cope last night?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]does anyone know what suzi is talking about?

Bad music, apart from the last line ;-)