Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smoke Free Pubs

Comments

• Options
    It's nothing to do with people indiscipline, if they are given a break to have a smoke why wouldn't they take it????

It's all to do with a big brother government wanting to control everything the people do. Was this voted on?? No, so how can it be a democratic thing to do.

People who work in pubs moaning about working in a smoky environment doesn't wash with me. Work somewhere else. Non-smokers in smoking pubs should accept that those places are going to be slightly smoky. Same as smokers should accept not smoking in non-smoking establishments.

And out of interest, if this government PR stunt does what they claim they want which is to stop everyone smoking. Where do you think that lost tax revenue will be made up from?

And don't start the argument that smokers cost more to the NHS more than your next person, because the amount of tax they put in more than pays for any treatment they might one day recieve.

Should fat people be banned from eating in public places? If I took the view that people seem to have towards smoking (it offends them) then I would say absolutely as seeing a bismark-like human shovel food into their mouth offends me more than smoking.
  • Options
    had two before we went into the arena.

then i was too hammered to notice but my mate had some nicorette gum with her so i tried that but found it too strong for me... i dont think i have a nicotine addictine its just the habit.

great venue - looking forward to going to the Indigo venue more i think. We had a result with our seats - we were up in the gods (great for fifty quid not) but one of our group suffered from vertigo and we got moved right down to virtually perving area. (big gurning face)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]

No idea is the honest answer. But is that the employees fault, the governments fault, or due to the indiscipline of people not being able to go a couple of hours without a ciggie?

The governments fault, its a stupid dictatorial law.

Shouldn't people be able to have a little more self discipline though?
  • Options

No idea is the honest answer. But is that the employees fault, the governments fault, or due to the indiscipline of people not being able to go a couple of hours without a ciggie?

So we can stop fat people from eating in public then?
  • Options

Your totally missing my point, I can go many, many hours without a cigerette, my problem is I don't feel I should have to in certain situations, it's my health, my choice, surely.
  • Options
    suggest these tracks Born Under a Bad Sign, You Don't Miss Your Water, Coles Corner
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

So we can stop fat people from eating in public then?

No.

a) You need food to survive
    b) It doesn't affect the health of slim people.
  • Options
    who needs big mac and chips to surive when you're sitting on a crowded train?
  • Options
    a) You need food to survive

Some people need cigarettes.
  • Options

Your totally missing my point, Icango many, many hours without a cigerette, my problem is I don't feel I should have to in certain situations, it's my health, my choice, surely.

Of course. Thats not an issue I'm debating, otherwise I would be suggesting that smoking and Tobacco products should be banned full stop. My point is the illnesses caused by passive smoking, that non smokers have to inhale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]So we can stop fat people from eating in public then?
    The rest of us had to suffer the smoke of smokers - not just the unpleasantness of it, but of course the health risks. When people eat, then unless they are spluttering/vommig their food all over the place then there is no problem.
  • Options
    If someone is bothered that much (all those fumes from cars, lorries and alike are oh so good for your health) surely they could just to a non smoking pub?

Please don't come back with 'there isn't many non smoking pubs' as I stated earlier, that is the direct result of a market driven industry.
  • Options
    no problem but its not nice is it salad. i would never (unless past 10pm and pissed) eat food on a bus/train cos i think its unsocial.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]If someone is bothered that much (all those fumes from cars, lorries and alike are oh so good for your health) surely they could just to a non smoking pub?

Please don't come back with 'there isn't many non smoking pubs' as I stated earlier, that is the direct result of a market driven industry.

I don't need to. Every pub is now non smoking, a direct result of a government driven industry ;-) . I offered the alternative of Working Mens clubs as smoking.
  • Options
    agree with you there esp. the past 10 bit! It's about manners and you can't legislate for that really.
  • Options
    That isnt an alternative is it though, why are so many other countries able to manage with simple smoking/non smoking bars, yet in the UK we have to be forced to do something, despite the fact that the revenue from smoking funds a large proportion of the NHS.

Again, your alternative is not an alternative at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]no problem but its not nice is it salad. i would never (unless past 10pm and pissed) eat food on a bus/train cos i think its unsocial.

What about chewing gum?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]no problem but its not nice is it salad. i would never (unless past 10pm and pissed) eat food on a bus/train cos i think its unsocial.

What about chewing gum?

Also bad for your health, ban it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]That isnt an alternative is it though, why are so many other countries able to manage with simple smoking/non smoking bars, yet in the UK we have to be forced to do something, despite the fact that the revenue from smoking funds a large proportion of the NHS.

Because non smokers don't get a choice at all. We either breathe your smoke or stay at home. Now the shoes on the other foot. You either don't smoke or stay at home. The common consensus on here is that smoke free pubs offer a far more pleasant experience than smokey bars.
  • Options

What about chewing gum?

Sugar free gums ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What about chewing gum?

what about it?

mind you i think that might be more social due to some of the rancid breathed people you have to sit next to on the train ... bet people were saying that about me this morning
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

What about chewing gum?

what about it?

mind you i think that might be more social due to some of the rancid breathed people you have to sit next to on the train ... bet people were saying that about me this morning

Does Chewing Gum count as eating and would you regard it as an unsociable habit?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]That isnt an alternative is it though, why are so many other countries able to manage with simple smoking/non smoking bars, yet in the UK we have to be forced to do something, despite the fact that the revenue from smoking funds a large proportion of the NHS.

Because non smokers don't get a choice at all. We either breathe your smoke or stay at home. Now the shoes on the other foot. You either don't smoke or stay at home. The common consensus on here is that smoke free pubs offer a far more pleasant experience than smokey bars.

You had the choice to go to a non smoking bar, or a bar with a non smoking section.
  • Options

What about chewing gum?

Sugar free gums ok.

Nope, causes stomach ulcers, ban it.
  • Options

You had the choice to go to a non smoking bar, or a bar with a non smoking section.

The only non smoking Pub around was 45 minutes away in Bexleyheath. There aren't any pubs near me with non smoking sections. So, no, I didn't have a choice.
  • Options

What about chewing gum?

Sugar free gums ok.

Nope, causes stomach ulcers, ban it.

Chewing 3 packs a day at the moment, hasn't done me any harm. Unlike a certain tobacco based product .....
  • Options

The only non smoking Pub around was 45 minutes away in Bexleyheath. There aren't any pubs near me with non smoking sections. So, no, I didn't have a choice.

You accept that you could have gone to a non smoking pub, yet claim to have had no choice? I regularly travel 45minutes to the pub, I really don't see the problem.

Chewing 3 packs a day at the moment, hasn't done me any harm. Unlike a certain tobacco based product .....

Chewing gum causes stomach ulcers, it's not an instant effect, the same way you didn't get lung cancer the first time you had a smoke.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2007
    get a room you two!

a non smoking one
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

What about chewing gum?

what about it?

Does Chewing Gum count as eating and would you regard it as an unsociable habit?

i thought i answered it? sometimes someone chewing gum might be more preferable than sitting next tosomeone with halitosis.

and i think its all in the way you chew dont you think?
  • Options

You accept that you could have gone to a non smoking pub, yet claim to have had no choice? I regularly travel 45minutes to the pub, I really don't see the problem.

I don't want to travel 45 minutes to have a quiet pint. Its inconvenient.