Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Fulham will be an interesting one for how they cope with home games, or more precisely how away teams cope.

not for atmosphere but they don’t have a river side stand at the minute and I can only imagine how much wind will be coming off the Thames which will lead to some really testing conditions, even in the summer.

if they are getting plenty of training done at the stadium to “learn” conditions it could give them a real home advantage in their remaining fixtures.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Inevitable that NLS and NLN won't continue, but a bit annoying that the jammy sods at Ebsfleet stay up while Dartford miss out on a chance of replacing them 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Big, big praise for Aneke there by Bowyer. It’s not often you’ll get Bowyer providing that specific detail of praise on a player, especially one who hasn’t played for months. Let’s hope they manage to keep him fit, which he has been for a while now, because I think he could play a big part for us.

Great news on Pagey too. It was always going to be great to see him get through all the training and both games so far. It bodes very well for this run in. I know a lot of people have said negative things, but the important thing is, if he was going to break down again he would’ve done already. So long as the management of their bodies is correct, that the loading and recovery of training is correct, they’ll be fine.

Really excited for different reasons to be honest. We may have lost an important player in the team, but these players enable us to play slightly differently. Having Page, Field, Forster-Caskey, and Aneke would actually force us to play more football, attractive football, than we had been. Furthermore, the warmer weather now suits us.

We have a chance, a good chance.
    I like that appraisal. 

Bowyer has put out attractive passing teams. When Aribo offered that physicality in midfield, it was all pretty passing between Cullen and Bielik. Create loads of tap ins. 

We had a brief glimpse of that style when it was the Gallagher, Cullen and Williams triumvirate. 

Lyle Taylor offers you a way out of games when you are not controlling possession. Bonne doesnt have that in his game at the moment. But he is a good finisher and can deliver a decent cross usually.

We can't bang balls up to Bonne and expect not to be thrashed. 

3 CBs? Defence is our weakest area. I dont want Jason Pearce starting, liability this season. Think Sarr, Lockyer and Deji is the way to go. 

Field needs to be that athletic presence in midfield. 

Jonny Williams your time is now.

If we can compete in midfield, I think Bonne and Aneke can finish. If we play hoofball we are on slim to no chance.
  • Options
    I would be tempted to try the dreaded 4-2-3-1 with field/pratley and Cullen holding, green and Williams wide, Aneke number 10 and bonne up top.
  • Options
    "Premier League clubs face a £1bn reduction in their revenues in 2019-20 because of the coronavirus pandemic, says financial services firm Deloitte."

Oh dear, I feel so sorry for them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52999782?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CampaignMonitor_Editorial&utm_campaign=LNCH 20200611 Huawei SM+CID_7182a06a7eb41fbf076e45f446d7b8f2

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Starting to get the feels back again. Can't wait for next week when the 2 outstanding Premier League games are played & we start doing the previews  & predictions for our game. 
    wish I felt the same, but far from it
    I am finding it hard to get excited about games I can’t physically attend. 

I just hope when crowds are allowed back they allow everyone and not just a couple of thousand, how would that work? I guess if it were to happenCharlton would Have to do it by loyalty points, imagine the outcry that would cause. 
    There is no way unlimited amount of supports will be allowed into grounds.

I imagine games will be trialled at 10%, then 25%, then 50% of capacities.  Something on these lines.
  • Options
    Just a shame really its our home games that we'd consider the winnable ones before the season got cancelled

Hopefully home advantage isnt too impacted for us as I was optimistic about getting results against Queens Park Rangers | Reading | Wigan

Hull | Cardiff | Birmingham are the only two away games I'm overly confident about
    That makes 3.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Starting to get the feels back again. Can't wait for next week when the 2 outstanding Premier League games are played & we start doing the previews  & predictions for our game. 

I just hope when crowds are allowed back they allow everyone and not just a couple of thousand, how would that work? I guess if it were to happenCharlton would Have to do it by loyalty points, imagine the outcry that would cause. 

I imagine games will be trialled at 10%, then 25%, then 50% of capacities.  Something on these lines.
    cor, that will go down well at Clubs with a high proportion of season ticket holders.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

cor, that will go down well at Clubs with a high proportion of season ticket holders.
    I should think Bournemouth will get our initial 10% of seats
  • Options
    Thinking aloud, I wonder if Brentfords new stadium will be ready. 

I know they were doing dummy events at intervals of a few to thousand tto start in March. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the Bundesliga has shown, I don't think there will be much difference between home & away results. More likely to be in the players heads than what happens out on the pitch.  
  • Options

I know they were doing dummy events at intervals of a few to thousand tto start in March. 
    We're playing Brentford @ Griffin Park according to the released fixtures
  • Options

Even if Brentford's new stadium is complete and ready, perhaps they don't have local council or EFL approval to play there this season?

Or what a damp squib to celebrate the first game at your shiny new stadium - with nobody there!
  • Options

Yeah sorry, I meant next year when it's due to be used. But if they can't satisfy health and safety with dummy events etc... 
  • Options

It's basically finished

The sad thing for them is that they'll finish their final season at Griffin Park in front of no spectators, without the planned farewell celebrations
  • Options

It's basically finished

The sad thing for them is that they'll finish their final season at Griffin Park in front of no spectators, without the planned farewell celebrations
    I know but potentially the new stadium may not have fans or have not be full capicity either. 

They need to hold events at 5k 10k 15k to satisfy planning etc...

I can't see how that can be achieved with covid 19
  • Options
    I just wonder if maybe they will have another season at Griffin Park next season.

Chances are no fans will be allowed in until 2021 anyway, so play next season at Griffin Park, then hopefully last home game of next season can be a goodbye to Griffin Park and then the following season they can play in there new stadium with full capacity.

They wont really want to play in there new stadium for the first time with no fans there
  • Options
    How are we going to show the team our support - any ideas ?
  • Options

It's basically finished

I know but potentially the new stadium may not have fans or have not be full capicity either. 

They need to hold events at 5k 10k 15k to satisfy planning etc...

I can't see how that can be achieved with covid 19
    But then if there are no fans allowed in, I imagine it doesn't matter if they haven't passed the events safety rules?

They've already been selling packages and season ticket for next season at the new ground, and I imagine that the builders are lined up to demolish GP as selling that site will be an important part of the financing of the new stadium
  • Options
    The L1 playoff final will be played at Wembley on the 13th July. Seems daft to have such a match played in an empty Wembley, thank god it didn't happen to us last season, imagine if our first visit to the new Wembley was in front of no spectators!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spurs friendly against Reading on Saturday has been called off due to circumstance outside if their control that lie with the Championship Club apparently.

Sounds Covid related to me
  • Options
    See this to me is were football is going to mess up.

A Norwich player has tested positive from the testing that was done on Thursday.

He will now self isolate for 7 days. 

The problem is he was involved in the game against Tottenham on Friday, the rest of the Norwich squad and the Tottenham squad dont have to isolate because apparently the guidelines apparently state that close contact on a football pitch is under 5 minutes so they should  be fine, but they are not being tested for a couple more days, so could have it and now be carriers
  • Options
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/13/norwich-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-and-will-miss-restart

This is the bit I dont get, how is it not long enough, its not like tracing a call there is a set period of time it needs, if it was that easy why cant you see you parents and quickly hug them, its less contact than on a football pitch at a corner

Norwich played Tottenham in a friendly on Friday but players of both sides who may have come into contact with the player will not have to self-isolate as they will not have been deemed to have been in contact for long enough, according to government advice.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/13/norwich-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-and-will-miss-restart

This is the bit I dont get, how is it not long enough, its not like tracing a call there is a set period of time it needs, if it was that easy why cant you see you parents and quickly hug them, its less contact than on a football pitch at a corner

Norwich played Tottenham in a friendly on Friday but players of both sides who may have come into contact with the player will not have to self-isolate as they will not have been deemed to have been in contact for long enough, according to government advice.
    This will be a good test of that government advice. If no spurs player from that game tests positive in the next week then the advice looks good. If spurs players do start testing positive then the advice might be suspect - obviously they can catch it elsewhere though
  • Options
    edited June 2020

A Norwich player has tested positive from the testing that was done on Thursday.

The problem is he was involved in the game against Tottenham on Friday, the rest of the Norwich squad and the Tottenham squad dont have to isolate because apparently the guidelines apparently state that close contact on a football pitch is under 5 minutes so they should  be fine, but they are not being tested for a couple more days, so could have it and now be carriers
    They should all be tested immediately. Because of the nature of football, the close contact is more aggressive and you would imagine more likely to spread the virus. It has to be expected that a few players will have it, but their teammates and players they have played against need to be cleared before they play again or the season could finish as soon as it has started.

There is an added consideration for us. Given that an outbreak could hit things on the head, we have to get ourselves in a safe position from day one. We have to consider the possibility that the Hull match could be our only match.
  • Options
    Don’t think football contact is more likely to spread the virus, I thought it mostly travelled around through the air in moisture droplets. Unless you have players gibbing at each other, close proximity to exhaled moisture is pretty rare. 
  • Options

They should all be tested immediately. Because of the nature of football, the close contact is more aggressive and you would imagine more likely to spread the virus. It has to be expected that a few players will have it, but their teammates and players they have played against need to be cleared before they play again or the season could finish as soon as it has started.

There is an added consideration for us. Given that an outbreak could hit things on the head, we have to get ourselves in a safe position from day one. We have to consider the possibility that the Hull match could be our only match.
    100% & that 1st game against Hull is now our play off final...most probably could end that way,then see from there,then each game after if played becomes just as important 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Don’t think football contact is more likely to spread the virus, I thought it mostly travelled around through the air in moisture droplets. Unless you have players gibbing at each other, close proximity to exhaled moisture is pretty rare. 
    22 men running around a field together for 90 minutes, constantly gobbing, breathing heavily, shouting, jostling in the box, and you don't think it'll travel between them?! There's a 2m limit for a reason, gyms will be one of the last places to open for a reason, they tell people to wear face masks if social distancing isn't possible for a reason!
    So explain why the players in the Bundesliga aren't testing positive left, right and centre.