Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    5/2 to beat Hull.
  • Options
    A great opportunity for someone to step up and make themselves a real hero.
    That's the beauty of football, a hero emerges from the shadows and surprises everyone!
    My money would be on either Bonne, Aneke or McGeady.
  • Options
    If we match our form for the first 9 games of the season there will be nothing to worry about. 
  • Options
    Coronavirus might have saved Page's professional career tbh
  • Options
    Starting to get the feels back again. Can't wait for next week when the 2 outstanding Premier League games are played & we start doing the previews  & predictions for our game. 
  • Options
    Starting to get the feels back again. Can't wait for next week when the 2 outstanding Premier League games are played & we start doing the previews  & predictions for our game. 
    wish I felt the same, but far from it
  • Options
    Is McGeady still with us? No mention of him anywhere?
    Bowyer today on the OS:
      “Aidy [Aiden McGeady] scored a very good goal today, so that’s another positive. Since we lost Conor [Gallagher], we haven’t really got goals in midfield, so that was a plus.

• Options
    Been another six positive cases in the Championship

Two in League One, both at Portsmouth 
  • Options
    Arsenal apparently played Brentford today

Brentford won 3-2
  • Options

Brentford won 3-2

Good :smile:

Just thinking ...... if it's a comparison with the result of our training match at Arsenal last Saturday, I can't see that it really means anything.

Brentford may well have started with their probable Best XI, where Charlton played 2 halves with 2 mixed squad teams so as to give most of the squad 45 mins playing time.

And our match with Arsenal was apparently no contact, no tackling by agreement.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought I read we were playing Palace today, not seen anything about that.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ross1 said:
    I thought I read we were playing Palace today, not seen anything about that.
    Looks like we played an in house game instead

Unless that was yesterday

Might be Saturday when we play them, means we've practiced playing Sat - Midweek - Sat and then have a full week to put any preparations in place for the Hull game
  • Options

Where on earth are they catching the virus?

The office of National Statistics say that 0.38% of the population outside of hospitals and care homes. If no one failed the test last time it was not caught at their club. Just seems odd.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    wish I felt the same, but far from it
    I am finding it hard to get excited about games I can’t physically attend. 

I just hope when crowds are allowed back they allow everyone and not just a couple of thousand, how would that work? I guess if it were to happenCharlton would Have to do it by loyalty points, imagine the outcry that would cause. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Where on earth are they catching the virus?

The office of National Statistics say that 0.38% of the population outside of hospitals and care homes. If no one failed the test last time it was not caught at their club. Just seems odd.
    KFC
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Brentford won 3-2

Good :smile:

Just thinking ...... if it's a comparison with the result of our training match at Arsenal last Saturday, I can't see that it really means anything.

Brentford may well have started with their probable Best XI, where Charlton played 2 halves with 2 mixed squad teams so as to give most of the squad 45 mins playing time.

And our match with Arsenal was apparently no contact, no tackling by agreement.

Is that the case? Will be easy to tell from highlights. Would also explain the result - lets face it our approach versus Arsenal in a normal game will be to pit work rate against their skill. No tackling turns it in to skill versus skill so no surprise we get thrashed.

It also means you have to take the performances of Aneke and Page etc with a pinch of salt. Page for example may look like getting back to fitness but how will his body fare when it gets more physical again?
  • Options
    The fans really do matter
  • Options
    Just a shame really its our home games that we'd consider the winnable ones before the season got cancelled

Hopefully home advantage isnt too impacted for us as I was optimistic about getting results against Queens Park Rangers | Reading | Wigan

Hull | Cardiff | Birmingham are the only two away games I'm overly confident about
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a shame really its our home games that we'd consider the winnable ones before the season got cancelled

Hopefully home advantage isnt too impacted for us as I was optimistic about getting results against Queens Park Rangers | Reading | Wigan

Hull | Cardiff | Birmingham are the only two away games I'm overly confident about
    Hull | Cardiff | Birmingham = 3
    Cheers, I wrote that line before I remembered to add Hull, clearly didnt proof read
  • Options
    It would be difficult to analyse, but I am fascinated to understand whether teams who ordinarily have ‘library’ like crowds fair better than boisterous/intimidating following crowd teams when the games get under way behind closed doors and regardless of home ‘advantage’? I would hope that not having 2000 angry away fans calling you a useless c*** before you take a corner, might help you deliver that corner as you would in training (which I suspect is better than what we are usually served up).

It may well be an advantage for some is the point. 
  • Options
    It would be difficult to analyse, but I am fascinated to understand whether teams who ordinarily have ‘library’ like crowds fair better than boisterous/intimidating following crowd teams when the games get under way behind closed doors and regardless of home ‘advantage’? I would hope that not having 2000 angry away fans calling you a useless c*** before you take a corner, might help you deliver that corner as you would in training (which I suspect is better than what we are usually served up).

Leeds and Millwall are teams that could struggle, they've always got good following

This current setup will surely make Elland Road and the New Den venues that dont overly have the fear factor without any fans
  • Options

Leeds and Millwall are teams that could struggle, they've always got good following

This current setup will surely make Elland Road and the New Den venues that dont overly have the fear factor without any fans
    Dirty Leeds and Millwall don't take prisoners. They ain't going to stand by and let you roll them over. 

• Options

Arsenal should benefit from empty stadiums then!
  • Options

Previous research has found something relatable to what you’re suggesting, not directly the same in terms of volume, but capacity. In which can be inferred, but not always the case, that a greater capacity the greater the intimidating volume/atmosphere.

It has been found that the greater the audience (as in number of people in the crowd) for a game, the greater the possibility of a favourable result for the local home team. Analysis over a 5 year period, between 2012 and 2017, found that the likelihood of a home win increased by 12%, deviation of plus or minus 2. Therefore, it can be assumed that in the football league, having a greater audience can result in an average of a further 9 points at home throughout a season.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Lol look at Barnet shoot up from 11th to a playoff spot haha
  • Options
    What is in our favour is that if we were in League One, we would be relegated. Psychologically this should be helpful. Also, whilst losing Taylor our other players should be fit so we should be competitive.

What is important is Bowyer. He has to get the players playing for the club and as fit as they can be in relation to opposing players.